Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

astonaidan wrote: »
    Well I still think RVP is better than him,

maybe.

but RVP is a cönt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Some on Twitter (think John Cross is one) saying PSG offered more to Ozil but Wenger convinced him that Arsenal was the place for him. Logically has to have some grains of truth, he's of such quality people had to be in for him.

wonder how much arsenal offered him??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Imagine the team we would have if that bollicks RVP stayed for another year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Have a feeling the German match versus Austria this weekend will be watched by quite a few Gunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sucks we didn't get a striker, but screw it I'm delighted. Chelsea only have Torres and Ba to choose from and i can't see either of them outscoring Giroud, Pod (if he recovers) or Theo.

Provided Ozil settles and we're lucky on injuries we won't be far off the pace imo.

Chelsea also have Eto'o!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

AdamD wrote: »
    Linked with Cabaye...

Sign Ozil instead and piss off Pardew. Well played sir.

The squad:
    Goalkeepers
    Szczesny
    Fabiansky
    Viviano

Defenders:
    Sagna
    Jenkinson
    Gibbs
    Monreal
    Mertesacker
    Vermaelen
    Koscienly

Midfielders:
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Wilshere
    Flamini
    Diaby
    Cazorla
    Ozil
    Rosicky
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Frimpong

Wingers and Strikers
    Giroud
    Walcott
    Podolski
    Sanogo
    Miyaichi
    Bendnter

Youngsters:
    Gnabry
    Akpom
    Zelalem
    Bellerin

Park still in the squad too. Would like him to start in the Capitol One just to piss Bendtner off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Paulegend wrote: »
    wonder how much arsenal offered him??

I'm not sure if anyone knows the ends and outs but I read earlier he will be on £800k a month - not sure if that's a calender month or every 4 weeks :o :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chelsea also have Eto'o!

D'oh, completely forgot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The effect he's going to have on the young lads is worth noting. Zelalem will play with his role model:

BTMCEIzIIAAMT_m.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'm surprised it took so long to complete the deal.Madrid didn't give themselves time to replace Ozil.

Zelalem posted that tweet in 2012, he's now living the dream. immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Unreal.

I'm surprised it took so long to complete the deal.Madrid didn't give themselves time to replace Ozil.

isco.

Özil had been offered superior personal terms by Paris St-Germain than the £140,000-a-week five-year deal he agreed at Arsenal but decided to move to the Premier League after speaking with Wenger.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10281345/Mesut-Ozil-joins-Arsenal-from-Real-Madrid-in-club-record-42-million-deal.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I am beyond happy with this signing. Could we have signed a striker? Yeah, maybe... who cares? I'd take Ozil over any mediocre forward like Higuain or Suarez for that matter any day of the week.
    Ozil is absolutely world class. And I mean that, he is in the top 10 best footballers alive today and anyone who argues that doesn't know sh*t about football.
    Time to break the piggy bank for when the jerseys get printed :D

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So f*cking happy. After the last two days, tomorrow is going to be so depressing.

:D

Jesus. I can buy a jersey with a name on the back of it now...!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Maire2009 wrote: »
    That's peanuts if true. Works out at about £15m a year for Ozil between wages and transfer fee, which is likely a lot less than we got off the wage bill this summer, never mind the added TV and sponsorship money.

I'm disappointed we didn't get a striker and really kept so much of our 'powder dry', but I'm ecstatic about getting Ozil. It's a stunning, transformative siging. The biggest once since Bergkamp in 1996. Even if we don't win anything this season (which I'd still say is pretty likely given the overall depth of our squad), it's still a game changer. It completely changes the narrative about Arsenal; when it comes to signing players, we're no longer the penny pinchers, we're in the big leagues. Should make it easier to convince big players to join in future, particularly a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

just wait to see if he actually lives up to his hype;)

Hype? This isn't some unproven talent. This is Madrid's second best player last year after Ronaldo, the best player on the German national side along with Schweinsteiger. He is already proven to be one of the best in the world.

What you've just said is like Utd signing Iniesta and saying "lets see if he lives up to the hype".

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    So f*cking happy. After the last two days, tomorrow is going to be so depressing.

:D

Think back to all those dark days during the summer and remember what's happened today and you won't be depressed anymore :)

tumblr_inline_msghqn8Dfd1qh018b.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Absolutely delighted with the signing, don't get me wrong, but what if we had shown this kind of ambition last year or the year before, we could have held onto a few big names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Any predictions on price on Fantasy PL? :D

12.0 to start off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have a feeling we will be back in Jan to spend that remaining 30 million on another player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

And Ye kept Bendtner :D , good days for ye guys enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Our midfield is sick. Next in line in world football after Real & Barca and so much depth.

I agree someway with the naysayers here.

Figures of 150 million were being thrown about and with the money we saved on wages, it'd just be a matter of spending the lot on 3-4 players and we'd be up there with city/Chelsea.

At the start of the summer I said

Backup to Arteta
    Backup/eventual successor to Mert
    Superstar striker

Happy with Flamini as Arteta's backup. Offers a more aggressive option too which might be useful. If we get anything close to the Flamini of old, he'll push Arteta for the spot too. Nice glimpse of him the other day as well. Think we'll be happy with how it works out.

Kind of meh about the idea of Sagna as our emergency CB. Flamini as an emergency right back kind if makes it OK in terms of squad depth but if Mert were to be injured, you'd rather someone come in and do the best to make the position their own rather than just fill in from right back.
    I know nothing but for some reason liked the idea of Ginter.

There's no denying we messed up the star striker. Eventually there was no more to be found and Giroud's form along with the fact that Cazorla is needed till December on the left meant that it was a star midfielder we'd be getting.

But we're still moving forward.

The rot stopped with RVP. After that all the players were committed longer term in terms of contracts. Last season we finally copped on and started defending properly so hopefully things like the 4 goal lead at Newcastle and howler in the cup final against Birmingham will be in the past. The deadwood is gone, our squad is now filled only with players that make a real contribution, some up and coming talent, and Diaby.

Now for the first time in years we have a marquee signing. Add another each window for the next couple of years while letting Wenger do his thing and we'll be back competing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This means we can actually give Wilshere a proper rest now instead of running him into the ground again. More rotation should equal less injuries from fatigue at least. Probably the best midfield in the league now alongside Chelsea.

12.0 to start off?

He's put a spanner in my wildcard plans :D

12.0 to start off?

Think I'll be using my wildcard early on this seasons Fantasy Footy :)

• Advertisement

Nothing to say we can't get a striker in January although (hopefully) we'll still be in the CL so will have to try and get someone that is not cup-tied ...

if rumours are true then ozil is on over 10 million a year which means ye have spent yer lot. there is no more money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Mickeroo wrote: »
    tumblr_inline_msghqn8Dfd1qh018b.gif

Spurs have done a much better job tbh in the transfer market over the whole summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

if rumours are true then ozil is on over 10 million a year which means ye have spent yer lot. there is no more money

cleared out 16 million with the deadwood so definitely not.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Spurs have done a much better job tbh in the transfer market over the whole summer.

And yet won't break into the top four this year.

Sure.

Scurry back to your thread please. You can come back in Jan when we make an attempt to sign Suarez again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

FearDark wrote: »
    And yet won't break into the top four this year.

Sure.

Who's going to stop them? Ozil? lol

don't be soft lad, this is Arsenal, we make over 1.3million a week more than your crowd. we have 150 million cash in the bank, we make 30+million a year from CL, for the last 16 years running.

There's mo' money.

Hype? This isn't some unproven talent. This is Madrid's second best player last year after Ronaldo, the best player on the German national side along with Schweinsteiger. He is already proven to be one of the best in the world.

What you've just said is like Utd signing Iniesta and saying "lets see if he lives up to the hype".

a couple of weeks ago benze was the second best. week before higg was the second best

alonso was actually the second best............... but i guess opinions are just that

was kaka class when he went to madrid for a world record? shev? torres?

lots of better players couldnt handle the pressure

• Advertisement

I genuinely feel embarrassed for Spurs fans. Why are you here again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's put a spanner in my wildcard plans :D

Don't do it.

To expensive and assists are going to be spread around like crazy with our midfield.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Every now and again I click on the View Post link on an ignored user, and I feel complete justification in my original decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That was one long summer. Next Summer I propose we don't talk about transfers until a few hours before the window closes :D

knew we'd see these types in the thread after today:

THEPLAYERHATERS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah Paul I love to see you and a lot of opposition fans come in here because most the time it means we've just outdone yehs in a game, in the league or in the transfer window and yeh come in just dripping in bitterness. So for that thank you very much ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

a couple of weeks ago benze was the second best. week before higg was the second best

alonso was actually the second best............... but i guess opinions are just that

Find me a single post by anyone on earth, let alone me, anywhere on earth, let alone in this thread, who said either of those things. Go on. Dare ya. :rolleyes:

Also, the guy who's played over 100 La Liga and 30 Champions League games for Real Madrid, and 47 games for Germany can't handle the pressure at Arsenal? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It's easy to know when you are rattled to your very core. Please keep posting

cartman_tears.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FearDark wrote: »
    I genuinely feel embarrassed for Spurs fans. Why are you here again?

They be hurting and feel cheated :D

BTK5zHuCAAIChny.png

He he Paulegend you really post some funny **** in this and the Liverpool thread. Some of your contributions even make me laugh out loud. Ozil can't handle the pressure is a priceless one. Please keep them coming Roflol.

ZOMG I can't believe we're out of money :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement