Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Ramsey is only 6 goals behind bobby for most goals by a midfielder in a season

Some player

Fàbregas scored 19 in 2009/10, so it's a joint record.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Fàbregas scored 19 in 2009/10, so it's a joint record.

I think rambo might well break the record this season. I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

One of the great things about Ramseys goalscoring is that it'll open up the park for the others. I wouldn't be surprised to see Theo and Poldi quickly notch up double figures when they return. Teams will be concentrating on shutting down Ramsey and Ozil and that leaves space for the others. Lampard used to say that he would always shape to shoot as he either would get the chance to or by closing him down the defenders would leave space for other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

v3hc2p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BaVip3VCMAAtxP7.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

pass the sick-bucket

RVP is such a reprehensible individual.

I'd love, just one time, for us to flog them and him to be on the pitch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RVP didn't celebrate last season and was still booed iirc, he's a hate figure to a lot of arsenal fans now so he probably thought "well screw it, there's no point pretending I'm not happy I scored so I don't hurt the feelings a bunch of people who hate me anyway". We can't have it both ways.

Ramsey on the other hand is a kid who left Cardiff and done good, the Cardiff fans still like him, they even applauded his goal today. How many gooners would have applauded RVP's goal if he hadn't celebrated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jaysus i'm getting very dizzy with us being up here all alone. Love it. :D:):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Van Persie celebrated at home, Ramsey refused to celebrate away at Cardiff.

Van Persie refused to celebrate away at Arsenal at the end of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mickeroo wrote: »
    RVP didn't celebrate last season and was still booed iirc, he's a hate figure to a lot of arsenal fans now so he probably thought "well screw it, there's no point pretending I'm not happy I scored so I don't hurt the feelings a bunch of people who hate me anyway". We can't have it both ways.

Ramsey on the other hand is a kid who left Cardiff and done good, the Cardiff fans still like him, they even applauded his goal today. How many gooners would have applauded RVP's goal if he hadn't celebrated?
    van Persie's also a completely two-faced fraud who clearly doesn't give a **** about the fans, only being adulated over. That was clearly apparent when he released his pathetic statement to force his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Winning the league is the best way to shove it to van persie.

He should have showed the same patience to Arsenal that Arsenal showed to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Winning the league is the best way to shove it to van persie.

He should have showed the same patience to Arsenal that Arsenal showed to him

Hmmm you said it yourself.

That point is only valid if we win the league.

Until that it appears he done the right thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

AdamD wrote: »
    Arsenal have conceded 1 goal in 7 games.

Offt

And Mert was off that day

So we can't win the league as we still haven't played the big boys according to Match of the Day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Ah yes there it is.... the weekly MOTD "Arsenal cannot win the league.... they have not played the big teams, they lost to Utd".... bla bla bla bla..... by the way who is this Danny Murphy guy.....???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So we can't win the league as we still haven't played the big boys according to Match of the Day :rolleyes:

It's hard to take anything they say seriously when they can't even spell Wilshere right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Good ole MOTD......although to be fair, they weren't quite as dismissive and distainful as Hansen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd love to win the league but not beat any of the other top teams along the way just to see the confusion it would cause on MotD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Ferdinand was right in what he said though, if Giroud gets injured, we are in trouble.

It seems to breed confidence in this team.

Keep doing it MOTM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Remember the days when Szczesny and Ramsey weren't good enough to play for Arsenal and when Mertesacker was a slow lanky liability? Delighted for those three.

On Szczesny in particular- I never understood why so many of our fans didn't rate the guy until recently, every transfer window, we had fans looking for a new keeper. There are many who would have had us with Julio Cesar in goals this season. Szcz is Seaman/Lehmann quality, and lets not forget, both of them made the occasional screw up too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Remember the days when Szczesny and Ramsey weren't good enough to play for Arsenal and when Mertesacker was a slow lanky liability? Delighted for those three.

On Szczesny in particular- I never understood why so many of our fans didn't rate the guy until recently, every transfer window, we had fans looking for a new keeper. There are many who would have had us with Julio Cesar in goals this season. Szcz is Seaman/Lehmann quality, and lets not forget, both of them made the occasional screw up too!

What was I thinking writing the young lad off, what a save today if that went in it was a completely different result, a save right out of the top drawer delighted for him as he really is Arsenal true and true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'd love to win the league but not beat any of the other top teams along the way just to see the confusion it would cause on MotD.

Hansens head would explode :)

Hansen and Shearers heads would explode.

You don't need to beat the better teams to win it, but it helps if you do. I think the Chelsea/City matches will probably show everyone where we actually are. It'll show that we are serious contenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

"Arsenal aren't a great defensive team despite their record." wtf does that mean?
    It's not really the media at large, it's more Stuart Robson's moronic remarks during the match that have people's back up I think.

he means that you'll always get chances against arsenal.

mainly because of how they play
    they've only conceded 1 in the last 6 but l'pool, dortmund (a hat full), marseille & even cardiff today could've gotten a least one, man u could've had one more. s'hampton i can't really remember

not defending him but it's not as stupid as it sounds.
    Like tottenham have taken the most shots in the league, 217, have the second most on target, 79.
    it's not moronic to say they aren't that great an offensive team despite the stats

batistuta9 wrote: »

they've only conceded 1 in the last 6 but l'pool, dortmund (a hat full), marseille & even cardiff today could've gotten a least one, man u could've had one more. s'hampton i can't really remember

Like tottenham have taken the most shots in the league, 217, have the second most on target, 79.
    it's not moronic to say they aren't that great an offensive team despite the stats
    Sorry but I have never read such garage in my life.

Sorry but I have never read such garage in my life.

how is it garbage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Anyhow re match of the day, Shearer hasn't been a dick about arsenal. He's been fair.

how is it garbage?

Any team can concede a goal at any time but we didnt, that's what matters, no ifs buts just simple facts.

What can't speak can't lie, 1 goal conceded in 7 games.

Simple as that.

• Advertisement

Any team can concede a goal at any time but we didnt, that's what matters, no ifs buts just simple facts.

What can't speak can't lie, 1 goal conceded in 7 games.

Simple as that.

it appears it can: it's 1 goal in the last 6, if you go back 7, it was chelsea(0-2)
    facts are supposed to be correct - simple as that

i know any team can conceded at any time but that isn't the point of it, the point is you'd always get that chance vs arsenal - do you not get that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

it appears it can: it's 1 goal in the last 6, if you go back 7, it was chelsea(0-2)

i know any team can conceded at any time but that isn't the point of it, the point is you'd always get that chance vs arsenal - do you not get that?

Yes, but the important thing is to keep those chances to a minimum. Cardiff only got 1 good chance today and that was the Frasier header.

Cardiff created plenty more chances against City and even scored 3. Same against United, but one less goal obviously :confused:

No.

And I'm not in the mood of getting into a big discussion about what could have been.

We are top of the league and I'm gonna enjoy it without negative what ifs.

No.

And I'm not in the mood of getting into a big discussion about what could have been.

We are top of the league and I'm gonna enjoy it without negative what ifs.

i don't want to get into an argument either & it isn't about what could've been either

but it's no wonder button stopped posting in this thread

i'm just saying his comment isn't/wasn't as ridiculous as made out.
    that's why i gave the tottenham comparison, at times stats mean shít

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Ah yes there it is.... the weekly MOTD "Arsenal cannot win the league.... they have not played the big teams, they lost to Utd".... bla bla bla bla..... by the way who is this Danny Murphy guy.....???

To be honest I can't understand what is so wrong with their views.

I know this is a different Arsenal side to the last few seasons, etc but I can still see how pundits are erring on the side of caution given some past false dawns. I think we will prove them wrong but I don't think their stance is as irrational as some make out.

Our first major league test was against an average Man United side and we failed it.

Of the 6 'big teams' - Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs and Everton we have played 3 out of 12 of these fixtures. That's the reality. We have a lot to prove to ourselves first never mind the pundits.

i don't want to get into an argument either & it isn't about what could've been either

but it's no wonder button stopped posting in this thread

i'm just saying his comment isn't/wasn't as ridiculous as made out.
    that's why i gave the tottenham comparison, at times stats mean shít

So how does conceding 1 good chance against Cardiff = we're not a good defensive team ? When the likes of City and United conceded a boat load of chances and also let in 5 goals between them.

If anything it proves we are a better defensive team according to your logic since we conceded a lot less chances :confused:

jamescd wrote: »
    Yes, but the important thing is to keep those chances to a minimum. Cardiff only got 1 good chance today and that was the Frasier header.

Cardiff created plenty more chances against City and even scored 3. Same against United, but one less goal obviously :confused:

exactly, keeping them to a minimum is the most important thing

robson was saying 'while arsenal haven't conceded that many goals, they'll give teams chances to score'

if a team conceded 38 goals in a season from 38 clear chances & another conceded 35 from 70, who would you say has the better defence?
    the stat says one thing, reality another - you get me

So how does conceding 1 good chance against Cardiff = we're not a good defensive team ? When the likes of City and United conceded a boat load of chances and also let in 5 goals between them.

If anything it proves we are a better defensive team according to your logic since we conceded a lot less chances :confused:

see the post above, but it isn't necessarily based on the game today

But it's today's game that Stuart Robson said it.

But it's today's game that Stuart Robson said it.

but he meant the defensive record overall

• Advertisement

but he meant the defensive record overall

We still don't concede as many as chances as you make out. Even Southampton who are a defensive team concede chances. United had plenty of chances to score the 2nd goal against them. Whereas the only other good chance they made against Arsenal was the Rooney miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

For the people who argued that we "could have" conceded a lot more based on the chances we gave away, also agree that we "could have" not conceded against United and even sneaked a winner and be ten points clear, or does the argument only work when you are going against the facts and statistics?

TBF we "could have" also been more prepared for Villa, therefore, we "could be" up for another invincible season again.

ffs...

Quazzie wrote: »
    For the people who argued that we "could have" conceded a lot more based on the chances we gave away, also agree that we "could have" not conceded against United and even sneaked a winner and be ten points clear, or does the argument only work when you are going against the facts and statistics?

robson made a point that was ridiculed, it wasn't as stupid as it sounded

if gary neville said it there'd be lads creaming themselves about it to get posting crap like 'despised him as a player but...'

of course you can turn it the other way & say they should have scored this or that - like people done today with girouds on/off debacle & one off the line, arguing it was as comfortable as 3-0 suggested

robson was saying arsenal aren't as tight at the back as the stat suggests, that's it

TBF we "could have" also been more prepared for Villa, therefore, we "could be" up for another invincible season again.

ffs...

it isn't/wasn't about 'could have', his point was arsenal do/will give up chances, more so than their record lets on - not that silly , do you not think?

what would your answer be to the below
    if a team conceded 38 goals in a season from 38 clear chances & another conceded 35 from 70, who would you say has the better defence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We had the second best defensive record in the league last season, we have been tight at the back this season aswell, No ifs, buts or maybes about it our defence is not weak nor should it be seen as a liability

I get what you're trying to say, but your logic is flawed. You don't judge an offensive team by the chances they create and fail to convert, you judge them by the goals they score. Selecting which stats to use in order to make Tottenham look like a good offensive team is just confirmation bias.

Tottenham aren't a good offensive team at the moment because they don't score a lot of goals, Arsenal are a good defensive team because they don't concede a lot of goals. It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I get what you're trying to say, but your logic is flawed. You don't judge an offensive team by the chances they create and fail to convert, you judge them by the goals they score. Selecting which stats to use in order to make Tottenham look like a good offensive team is just confirmation bias.

Tottenham aren't a good offensive team at the moment because they don't score a lot of goals, Arsenal are a good defensive team because they don't concede a lot of goals. It's as simple as that.

And it's even more complicated than that. Arsenal primarily play a possession based attacking game. Meaning when they give an errant pass and the first line of pressing defenders is beaten they're really exposed. So they concede chances. However, when they drop deeper they offer up far less of those threatening attacks. Leaving goal scoring opportunities few and far between. They'll still concede chances and some will be scored, but in general teams find them hard to break down. That's the sign of a good defence. It helps too that they've got a lethal counter to boot. Interestingly the counter attack brings out the best in Ozil and plays to Walcott's strength. If arsenal get a goal up on any team. . .

tottenham was an example i don't think you understood me, stats show they create a lot but don't score.
    maybe i should've said just because tottenham have scored 9 goals, it doesn't mean they aren't creating chances.
    therefore just because you don't conceded that many doesn't mean you don't give away chances either

i'm not having a go at arsenal with this, it's just i think there's something in robsons' comment - which happened to be about arsenal

stats don't tell the whole the story, at times even they're pretty pointless

do you judge how good a team is defensively by the number they've conceded or by the number of chances they give away?

judging by the number of goals conceded shows how good the defensive record is.
    judging by the number of chances conceded shows how good they're defensively.

like the question below, which is the better defence:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What is this rubbish??

Is the keeper not allowed be considered a part of the defence now?

If you're going to say that we're not good defensively because yesterday a half blocked cross looped up and someone got a header on target, then there's actually never been a good defensive team in the PL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement