Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If our defence lets the opportunity create so many chances yet we still have the stats we have, the Szczesny deserves a pay rise because he's been keeping us in it for a long time so. To say we let the opposition create so many opportunities yet keep a clean sheet might during one game might be seen as a bit of luck, but we've been it too long for it to be a coincidence. STats can be flawed, but stats over such an extended period of time cannot be ignore so easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I read a really good article yesterday which looked in detail at the type of chances we give the opposition and how often they happen. It concluded that our defence is performing very well. That teams, in general, resort to trying to score from positions where it is statistically improbable to do so.

It also said that our own scoring stats are slightly flattering as we are putting away so many of our chances. I'll go and link it when I'm next by a pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Come on lads chill out were all Gooners no point in arguing over silly things, instead just sit back and have a good look at the league table and light up a nice cuban cigar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm scared I'm not used to heights like this :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

greendom wrote: »
    I read a really good article yesterday which looked in detail at the type of chances we give the opposition and how often they happen. It concluded that our defence is performing very well. That teams, in general, resort to trying to score from positions where it is statistically improbable to do so.

It also said that our own scoring stats are slightly flattering as we are putting away so many of our chances. I'll go and link it when I'm next by a pc.

I'd agree with this, our shots to goals ratio seems a lot higher this season. Tis ruddy fantastic.

• Advertisement

Also seems like Morata has agreed a loan deal with us. Not sure how reputable this source is and its Spanish. Would be a nice one to tie us over until the Summer also. Not sure if he is cup tied in Europe or not.

http://www.ondacero.es/audios-online/al-primer-toque/al-primer-toque-entrevistas/morata-dice-oferta-arsenal_2013113000010.html

dvemail wrote: »
    Also seems like Morata has agreed a loan deal with us. Not sure how reputable this source is and its Spanish. Would be a nice one to tie us over until the Summer also. Not sure if he is cup tied in Europe or not.

http://www.ondacero.es/audios-online/al-primer-toque/al-primer-toque-entrevistas/morata-dice-oferta-arsenal_2013000010.html

Don't know too much about him. What type of a striker is he ?

He's second choice behind Benzema at Real at them moment. Haven't seen an awful lot of him so can't say for definite but he looks pretty good. Definitely one for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

batistuta9 wrote: »
    exactly, keeping them to a minimum is the most important thing

robson was saying 'while arsenal haven't conceded that many goals, they'll give teams chances to score'

if a team conceded 38 goals in a season from 38 clear chances & another conceded 35 from 70, who would you say has the better defence?
    the stat says one thing, reality another - you get me

To me, the better defence is the one that conceded 35 out of 70. This means it saved 35 out of 70.
    It's all a matter of perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ozil via twitter yesterday: "3:0 away. What a game. I love this team and this club."

• Advertisement

Here's that article I was talking about - really well researched...

(although slightly out of date - from 3 games ago)

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/11/arsenals-premier-league-shots/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not one of your defenders are worth a ****e - Prove me wrong.

How many keepers have you went through since Lehman left? - 7-8?

Midfielders like Arteta, Rosicky and Ramsey don't scare anyone - Not as good as Toure, Barry, Sandro, Gerrard, Lampard, Lucas.

Wilshire and Cazorla are the two players that stand out by a million miles, maybe Podolski as well.

This was posted by a rival fan at the end of June. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Oranage2 wrote: »

That deserves a naming :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    tottenham was an example i don't think you understood me, stats show they create a lot but don't score.
    maybe i should've said just because tottenham have scored 9 goals, it doesn't mean they aren't creating chances.
    therefore just because you don't conceded that many doesn't mean you don't give away chances either

i'm not having a go at arsenal with this, it's just i think there's something in robsons' comment - which happened to be about arsenal

stats don't tell the whole the story, at times even they're pretty pointless

do you judge how good a team is defensively by the number they've conceded or by the number of chances they give away?

judging by the number of goals conceded shows how good the defensive record is.
    judging by the number of chances conceded shows how good they're defensively.

like the question below, which is the better defense:

I understand exactly what you're saying I just think it's not true.

I would choose the team that conceded 35 goals over the one that conceded 38 as the better defense every time. You can't judge a defense on the chances they "concede" only the goals they concede, as someone said above, if you judge a defense by the opposition almost scoring then there's never been a decent defense in the history of the PL.

Soups123 wrote: »
    That deserves a naming :)

I'm guessing 'Pool fan due to Lucas being in the list they gave.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm guessing 'Pool fan due to Lucas being in the list they gave.
    Yeah, Super-Rush predictably thanked by turdyturd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oranage2 wrote: »

Should have brought it up after Arteta destroyed Lucas and Gerrard a few weeks ago :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah, Super-Rush predictably thanked by turdyturd.

Turdyturd must have had his cereal pissed in by Arsene at some stage because the amount of shite he talks about Arsenal is unreal.

A lot of times we use to try to play it out of defense, mert would pass it to sycz, he would try 7pass it back, we'd get dispossessed and they'd score. Now sycz just kicks it long.

This alone has up conceding so much less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Two points dropped by united and Spurs, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

good result in the spuds/utd game

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Great result at WHL for us. I love that United beating us at OT is now essentially a meaningless win for them. :)

Expect City to roast Swansea but if Southampton don't make any silly mistakes like they did against us they could get a result against Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

10 points clear of spurs, 9 clear of united. Just a pity they couldn't both lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

9 ahead of Utd, 10 ahead of Spurs. Pretty nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

In last 4 games only Newcastle have more points than us which is excellent considering the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Great result at WHL for us. I love that United beating us at OT is now essentially a meaningless win for them. :)

Expect City to roast Swansea but if Southampton don't make any silly mistakes like they did against us they could get a result against Chelsea.

Ya strange to think after OT they had us back to 5 and now its 9 despite a similar couple of fixtures.

What would people expect/settle for against City and Chelsea??

Ya strange to think after OT they had us back to 5 and now its 9 despite a similar couple of fixtures.

4 or 6 amazing

2 good

1 not so good

0 terrible

Funny thing is wouldn't be surprised at any result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

It's really difficult to say to be honest. It depends on whether you go by the expectation due to Arsenal's form or the expectation due to Arsenal's record against big teams.

It is really difficult to find a balance between those two. 4 points would be amazing. I'd probably settle with 3 points but I don't like the thought of losing a match especially against title rivals.

2 points from those games would probably be better than 3 points though because we would be in a better position compared to City and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd be very happy with 5/6 points from City, Chelsea, Everton.

I'd happily take a draw against City considering how strong they are at home.

Should be going for a win at home against Chelsea, and Everton too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

cathalio11 wrote: »
    It's really difficult to say to be honest. It depends on whether you go by the expectation due to Arsenal's form or the expectation due to Arsenal's record against big teams.

It is really difficult to find a balance between those two. 4 points would be amazing. I'd probably settle with 3 points but I don't like the thought of losing a match especially against title rivals.

2 points from those games would probably be better than 3 points though because we would be in a better position compared to City and Chelsea.

Ya was thinkin along same lines. 2 drawn probably do more for confidence than one win and also prevents a big gain for either.

Cant forget Everton either-be a tough game at home for us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd say lets win the first one and then take it from there.

Lets hope Mert isn't sick for any of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Lets hope Mert isn't sick for any of them...

Remember the Liverpool fan who used to give us an unreal time cause we signed mert

Where's he gone??

I think we will take 4 points from Everton, Chelsea and city games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Remember the Liverpool fan who used to give us an unreal time cause we signed mert

Where's he gone??

Was it carragher!?

He said mert is our weak link a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

I think we will take 4 points from Everton, Chelsea and city games

I think we will take 6 from those. Wins against Everton and Chelsea and defeat to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

A draw against City would be an excellent result, they are unreal at home. Plus we will be coming back from Napoli with a days less rest than City from Munich, and they can afford to rest players for that game.

Chelsea & Everton are at home. If we are to be realistic about a title challenge, we need to be winning these games and I don't see any reason we can't. Plus don't forget Hull!

Hull leading against Liverpool lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

jamescd wrote: »
    Hull leading against Liverpool lol

Not exactly title rivals though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If we win the next two home (Hull, Everton), I don't mind losing at City - BUT make it a narrow defeat (not what happened to Utd or Spurs).

And I would expect a win home with Chelsea.

In any case, I want us to still be on top after this series of games, which is quite likely.

• Advertisement

Watching hull here today and I think we should rest some players

There are useless

FearDark wrote: »
    Not exactly title rivals though :pac:

Ha, 3 - 1 now.

A draw in the Chelsea - Southampton game and it'll be another perfect weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

7 points ahead for an extra 2 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

This is hullarious.

Loads of hullabaloo in the Liverpool thread later.

Etc. Etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We'll flog Hull if they set up like they did today against us. No doubt about it.

That was lovely. So nice to "like" Hull now that Brown is gone.

Kinda still want Pool to get Champions league though. Some of their supporters talk the most sence on this board. It is good to have Liverpool off our backs and we're clear at the top now.

Holy ****, Southampton ahead already !!!

jamescd wrote: »
    Holy ****, Southampton ahead already !!!

Every Match going our way!!

FearDark wrote: »
    Every Match going our way!!

I'm lovin' it !!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement