Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That was lovely. So nice to "like" Hull now that Brown is gone.

They've been my second team for a decade thanks to championship manager. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

FearDark wrote: »
    Every Match going our way!!

You're forgetting about Man City. We want Swansea to put one over on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Man City aren't gonna drop points against Swansea at home. Even if they win though Arse are still 6 clear as it stands, would happily take that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Now you're just being greedy :pac:

They'll keep dropping points away from home though so I'm not too bothered if they win this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Jaysus calm the horse there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watching hull here today and I think we should rest some players

There are useless

They have a much better defence than Cardiff.
    We need to treat them with respect.
    Play our best team and make changes when well ahead.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are we on TV wednesday night? Bit of rotation would be no harm with Everton coming so soon, not like we don't have options in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

The big games in December; I'd rather 3 points than 2 I think (in other words I'd rather one win than 2 draws). If we don't make any mistakes up until then, you are putting immense pressure on either City or Chelsea if you beat them. It'd put City 9 back and Chelsea 7 coming into Xmas. That's huge.

Anyways, we'll think about that closer to the time. Next objective; 3pts vs Hull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Martin Jol sacked! Fulham's next game is against Spurs on Wednesday night!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25170983

• Advertisement

Hull on Wednesday, didn't realise that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

City have been on the backfoot since the goal, but I still think they'll nick this with their firepower upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

FearDark wrote: »
    Hull on Wednesday, didn't realise that :o

They just added it to the fixture list this morning ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Is the Hull game being shown live?

Just wondering can anyone recommend whats a good decent pub to have a few pints in before and possibly after a game near the Emirates?

This time next week I'll be at the Everton game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Disastrous 60 seconds, there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

bugger, only 4 points clear tonight now :(

Normally you'd say beating Liverpool might have taken a lot out of Hull but Liverpool were so bad it was unreal. Hull will be on a high now. Must win game on Wednesday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Joel Campbell scored again tonight, cant wait see him back here next year.

Cashri looking good for City this season

imtdub wrote: »
    Cashri looking good for City this season

That's what qualifying for the World Cup does for you!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    That's what qualifying for the World Cup does for you!

To be fair he has been good since the start of the season, their qualification was only confirmed couple of weeks ago. I read somewhere, where he said he had some issues with french media and then some off field issues, which were playing on his mind. So he wasn't himself or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

God I despise everything about Chelsea, players, manager, fans, owner, the list is endless.

God I despise everything about Chelsea, players, manager, fans, owner, the list is endless.

I don't know I hate more, them or City. Bloody oil rich clubs should be nowhere near the top of the table.

imtdub wrote: »
    To be fair he has been good since the start of the season, their qualification was only confirmed couple of weeks ago. I read somewhere, where he said he had some issues with french media and then some off field issues, which were playing on his mind. So he wasn't himself or something...

That true! Working for Manuel Pellegrini must be brilliant too! Nasri said him and Wenger were the best two coaches he has ever played for! Mancini at City seems so long ago now as Pellegrini was linked with them before the last season finished.

Look on the bright side guys, thanks to Chelsea scoring three and Southampton nabbing one we now have the joint best defensive record in the league :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Look on the bright side guys, thanks to Chelsea scoring three and Southampton nabbing one we now have the joint best defensive record in the league :p

not too bad for a team that doesn't know how to defend. . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Walcott and Rosicky to start on Wednesday? Perhaps giving Ozil and Ramsey a break.

Vermaelen and Monreal for Kos and Gibbs.

Surely has to be game to rotate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Walcott and Rosicky to start on Wednesday? Perhaps giving Ozil and Ramsey a break.

Wouldn't touch Kos.

One of Ramsey/Ozil.

MaxPower89 wrote: »

I don't think so. Hull will be fired up and we're only 4 upfront.

I'd rather rotate for City tbh. As mad as it sounds, I doubt we'll get anything there. And it won't matter in the long run if we don't (hopefully)

I don't think so. Hull will be fired up and we're only 4 upfront.

I'd rather rotate for City tbh. As mad as it sounds, I doubt we'll get anything there. And it won't matter in the long run if we don't (hopefully)

We need to go in with the attitude that we can win them all.
    Strongest team all the time until we're forced to change.
    With the right attitude we can beat City too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If we can't rotate against hull we can never rotate

My team

Scez
    Barcay. Kos. Mert. Monreal
    Flamini
    Rosicky. Jack
    Walcott. Giroud. Gnabry

Maybe start santi so he can find form

In other news Campbell still ripping it up in Greece looking more like a crazy decision to send him away while keeping sango

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I agree, probably bring Verm, monreal, rosicky, flamini and Walcott in for the Hull game. Have to rotate a bit coming into this run of games and Hull is the only one where we can really afford to do it in of the next 4...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

In other news Campbell still ripping it up in Greece looking more like a crazy decision to send him away while keeping sango

Is it not still work permit issues that is keeping him off our squad?

dvemail wrote: »
    Is it not still work permit issues that is keeping him off our squad?

No he got that in the summer

5 goals and 8 assists in the last 7 games for Joel Campbell. The Costa Rican striker, on loan from scored again for Olympiakos today.

Rotate a bit yeah but not everyone in one match.

When was the last time we scored a goal that didn't involve Ramsey or Ozil??

Leaving both out while also sticking Verm in would be asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Rotate a bit yeah but not everyone in one match.

When was the last time we scored a goal that didn't involve Ramsey or Ozil??

Leaving both out while also sticking Verm in would be asking for trouble.

Our first against Marseille and both against Southampton. Still think your point is valid though.

If we can't rotate against hull we can never rotate

My team

Scez
    Barcay. Kos. Mert. Monreal
    Flamini
    Rosicky. Jack
    Walcott. Giroud. Gnabry

Maybe start santi so he can find form

Liverpool didn't rotate and still lost.
    I recall us dropping points on many occasions against teams we were expected to hockey.
    Every game should be treated as a cup final using your best 11.

Liverpool didn't rotate and still lost.
    I recall us dropping points on many occasions against teams we were expected to hockey.
    Every game should be treated as a cup final using your best 11.

Done be moaning so when players start looking fatigued and we start getting more injures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Rotation is necessary.

I'd imagine there will be 3/4 changes. Walcott and Rosicky nailed on starters imo.

Done be moaning so when players start looking fatigued and we start getting more injures

I am not moaning at all, just being careful.
    Wenger will know when players need a rest.
    He will make a change when needed i'm sure.
    There's an old adage that you never change a winning team.
    As long as the players are doing their stuff and enjoying it as they seem to be doing now then leave them be. There is great telepathy in the team and it would be mad to change for the sake of change now when things are going so smoothly.
    I rate Hull as a better team than Cardiff and wouldn't take them lightly. They will have their tails up after today too. Focus needed. If someone is playing bad or looking tired then by all means change.

I definitely wouldn't rest Rambo or Ozil though

I am not moaning at all, just being careful.
    Wenger will know when players need a rest.
    He will make a change when needed i'm sure.
    There's an old adage that you never change a winning team.
    As long as the players are doing their stuff and enjoying it as they seem to be doing now then leave them be. There is great telepathy in the team and it would be mad to change for the sake of change now when things are going so smoothly.
    I rate Hull as a better team than Cardiff and wouldn't take them lightly. They will have their tails up after today too. Focus needed. If someone is playing bad or looking tired then by all means change.

I get what your saying but looking at the fixtures this is really our only chance to rest players, maybe a little in Napoli which I would do too

And I really don't rate hull and will be bitterly disappointed is we don't really turn them over at home

Liverpool had something like 70% possession today, with there midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Definitely should see 3 changes for the Hull game. Walcott, Rosicky and Flamini should come in, with Santi, Wilshere and one of Ramsey/Ozil dropping to the bench. It's Hull City, not Barcelona we're playing. At home. They're worse than Cardiff with a tactically inferior manager than Malky Mackay. Pressure Huddlestone and they'll go to ****e. They don't play full backs, they've absolutely nothing on the bench, Alex Bruce, David Meyler and Ahmed Elmohamady are Championship standard players, they've won one match away all season and they don't have a goalscorer. Robbie Brady is their highest with 3 and that's only because he's on pens.

So yeah, all things considered, we should be resting players and we should be beating them comfortably. I'll be amazed if its anything other than 2/3-0. Please feel free to quote this post if it is. Fill your boots with -2 @ 13/8 tbh.

I get what your saying but looking at the fixtures this is really our only chance to rest players, maybe a little in Napoli which I would do too

And I really don't rate hull and will be bitterly disappointed is we don't really turn them over at home

Liverpool had something like 70% possession today, with there midfield

We will beat Hull but not as easily as many imagine.
    I remember us having over 80% possession against Fulham a few years ago but they took points of us. That's football, nothing should be taken for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Irish Aris wrote: »
    To me, the better defence is the one that conceded 35 out of 70. This means it saved 35 out of 70.
    It's all a matter of perspective.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I understand exactly what you're saying I just think it's not true.

I would choose the team that conceded 35 goals over the one that conceded 38 as the better defense every time. You can't judge a defense on the chances they "concede" only the goals they concede, as someone said above, if you judge a defense by the opposition almost scoring then there's never been a decent defense in the history of the PL.

yeah it's a matter of perspective and i believe conceding the least number of goals doesn't necessarily equate to being the best defensively - defensively solid you could say, difficult to break down, etc.
    i just think it can't be measure by goals conceded alone.

& at least the two of you could give your opinion on it, without involving arsenal, which was the point of the question, etc. It wasn't team specific

maybe i didn't make it clear enough or even when someone disagreed they still had to pull arsenal into it or people were just looking for cheap thanks but whatever

interestingly now that arsenal & s'hampton have both conceded 10, if arsenal only gave away 18 chances & s'hampton gave up 23, i would say arsenal are better defensively, though everyone else would say they're equally as good as all you use is goals against

anyway we can draw a line under this if you want, as i'm sure people are fed up with it as they believe it about having a dig at arsenal

i get the rotation bit, i do, but getting it wrong would mean shooting ourselves in the foot when we're on our best run in years.

Flamini Ramsey Walcott Rosicky Cazorla

If we're winning, bring on Wilshire for Ramsey

If we're losing bring on Ozil for Rosicky

I really do think though that squad depth is less about direct rotation (apart from in the case of dead rubbers or crappy cup games) and more about having someone to fill in for, and challenge, players like Walcott, Pod, Arteta when they have to miss a few games.

It is not about 'easy game = b team' ... that's asking for trouble.

Playing Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshire, Caz, Walcott would be hugely relying on Walcott and Cazorla to provide goals when neither has shown us anything to suggest that they may be back in form.

That combined with changing the CB's could leave us chasing a game with the two best chances of victory sitting on the bench and a dodgy CB on the pitch waiting to be caught out on a counter attack.

Win the games, then rest the players. Don't just rest everyone you can on the basis that the next fixture looks easier than the ones after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

If West Brom conceded 35 goals in a season and United conceded 30 goals in a season; I would say that West Brom has the better defence as they would no doubt have been under more pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

A good weekend overall, but the two most genuine title threats winning takes a bit of the gloss off.

I'd be happy to see a big rotation for the Hull game. My team:

Szcz, Bac, Mert, Verm, Monreal, Arteta, Flamini, Wilshere, Rosicky, Walcott, Giroud.

With a strong bench, that team should still have too much for Hull at home, and get Aaron, Santi and Mesut fresh for the big ones appraching.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    yeah it's a matter of perspective and i believe conceding the least number of goals doesn't necessarily equate to being the best defensively - defensively solid you could say, difficult to break down, etc.
    i just think it can't be measure by goals conceded alone.

& at least the two of you could give your opinion on it, without involving arsenal, which was the point of the question, etc. It wasn't team specific

maybe i didn't make it clear enough or even when someone disagreed they still had to pull arsenal into it or people were just looking for cheap thanks but whatever

interestingly now that arsenal & s'hampton have both conceded 10, if arsenal only gave away 18 chances & s'hampton gave up 23, i would say arsenal are better defensively, though everyone else would say they're equally as good as all you use is goals against

anyway we can draw a line under this if you want, as i'm sure people are fed up with it as they believe it about having a dig at arsenal

Are you saying Arsenal are lucky in defence? This isn't trying to set you up for an argument or anything. I kind of get where you're coming from but I think if you keep chances out, then that's fine.

Is your assertion that Arsenal are riding their luck in terms of conceding these chances and that it's going to catch up with them?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement