Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Are you saying Arsenal are lucky in defence? This isn't trying to set you up for an argument or anything. I kind of get where you're coming from but I think if you keep chances out, then that's fine.

Is your assertion that Arsenal are riding their luck in terms of conceding these chances and that it's going to catch up with them?

I don't know if you saw the article I posted earlier, but it clearly shows that Arsenal are very good this season at restricting teams from having chances in clear goal-scoring positions compared to other teams in the league. It also shows that if any luck involved in our performance this season it'is in the amount of chances we are putting away. The article suggested that we need to be creating more chances otherwise this will catch up with us.

another thing to consider is impending suspensions due to yellow cards. Jack is on 4 yellows and Bacary is on 3, so theyll probably both end up with an enforced lay-off before Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

The one player who needs a rest is the one we can't rest! Giroud looked wrecked I thought. If we're winning I'd like to see him taken off very early in the second half. Put Walcott up top if hull are coming at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Are you saying Arsenal are lucky in defence? This isn't trying to set you up for an argument or anything. I kind of get where you're coming from but I think if you keep chances out, then that's fine.

Is your assertion that Arsenal are riding their luck in terms of conceding these chances and that it's going to catch up with them?

no, not at all. I don't/didn't mean it come across like that but it appears it has

this isn't about arsenal specifically this can be applied to any team, it just happened to come up yesterday on the back of s.robsons's comment which happened to be about arsenal.

my assertion is that you cannot solely use the number of goals a teams concedes to determine how good they're defensively.

pelligrini said recently "I don't believe in stats in football. Football has some relation with mathematics but not always."

i would agree with that, strongly agree if it was a survey ha, it's too simplistic to state that the least goals conceded is equivalent to having the best defence
    and you can probably go and attack my viewpoint on that too as being too simplistic as well (is having more clean sheet more important than having conceded the lowest number of goals?, etc.)

the article greendom mentions, states arsenal are restricting opponents from having clear scoring opportunities, this to me is more important that having conceded the lowest number of goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

To be fair, bringing in Walcott, Rosicky, Flamini and say Monreal isn't overly rotating but IMO is very sensible.
    We have the numbers in midfield. Let's use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

cson wrote: »
    Definitely should see 3 changes for the Hull game. Walcott, Rosicky and Flamini should come in, with Santi, Wilshere and one of Ramsey/Ozil dropping to the bench. It's Hull City, not Barcelona we're playing. At home. They're worse than Cardiff with a tactically inferior manager than Malky Mackay. Pressure Huddlestone and they'll go to ****e. They don't play full backs, they've absolutely nothing on the bench, Alex Bruce, David Meyler and Ahmed Elmohamady are Championship standard players, they've won one match away all season and they don't have a goalscorer. Robbie Brady is their highest with 3 and that's only because he's on pens.

I don't agree with this. I think it's very naive and ignorant against Hull.

Arsenal have lost some shocking home games before and I think one of those to a Hull team who really were shocking with a manager like Phil Brown and very average players.

Hull seem to be very disciplined, very well set-up and capable of grinding out games which is impressive for a newly promoted side. That is why they have 5 wins so far and 4 clean sheets.

Also, Steve Bruce being tactically inferior to Malky Mackay is completely unjustified and I'm surprised you didn't support your reasons for that.

Now, I am very confident about Arsenal's prospects on Wednesday but the amount of times I've seen fans say something like this to see Arsenal lose a stupid game against Wigan or Hull is extra-ordinary.

cathalio11 wrote: »

Arsenal have lost some shocking home games before and I think one of those to a Hull team who really were shocking with a manager like Phil Brown and very average players.

Hull seem to be very disciplined, very well set-up and capable of grinding out games which is impressive for a newly promoted side. That is why they have 5 wins so far and 4 clean sheets.

Also, Steve Bruce being tactically inferior to Malky Mackay is completely unjustified and I'm surprised you didn't support your reasons for that.

Now, I am very confident about Arsenal's prospects on Wednesday but the amount of times I've seen fans say something like this to see Arsenal lose a stupid game against Wigan or Hull is extra-ordinary

Arsenal have been very consistent against the so called poorer teams in recent times and tbf to this crop they dont get arrogant or complacent.
    I think we should be well able to beat Hull on current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Now, I am very confident about Arsenal's prospects on Wednesday but the amount of times I've seen fans say something like this to see Arsenal lose a stupid game against Wigan or Hull is extra-ordinary.

It's certainly not ignorant. I gave my assessment of Hull's chances of us, it may be harsh to some but it's spot on in my eyes.

All their clean sheets are at home. Mackay has proven himself adept at countering better teams so far this season; United, City and Swansea have all had a hard time against Cardiff. They haven't troubled anyone decent save for two poor performances by Spurs and Liverpool.

The amount of times you've seen it happen in the league is exactly twice. Not anything out of the ordinary. That's without touching on the mental fragility and arrogance of that particular brand of Arsenal those times they lost. This version is much, much different.

Switching Walcott, Rosicky and Flamini in for Wednesday isn't exactly weakening the team either.

We should be beating them, and we will.

It's certainly not ignorant. I gave my assessment of Hull's chances of us, it may be harsh to some but it's spot on in my eyes.

All their clean sheets are at home. Mackay has proven himself adept at countering better teams so far this season; United, City and Swansea have all had a hard time against Cardiff. They haven't troubled anyone decent save for two poor performances by Spurs and Liverpool.

The amount of times you've seen it happen in the league is exactly twice. Not anything out of the ordinary. That's without touching on the mental fragility and arrogance of that particular brand of Arsenal those times they lost. This version is much, much different.

Switching Walcott, Rosicky and Flamini in for Wednesday isn't exactly weakening the team either.

We should be beating them, and we will.

Id agree with you. The current Arsenal model is closer to the George Graham days then the more recent Wenger years (albeit with fluid attacking football) and it is no coincidence that the Mertsacker and Koscielny partnership at the back and the leadership they provide is instrumental in the development of this new team.
    Originally i has my fears for Mert but game by game he's won me over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally I believe we should put our strongest team out and taking off Giroud early if things are going our way. He is the biggest risk we have, if he gets injured then our attack will be blunted badly.

It could also do with me have Ramsey and Ozil in my FF league team ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Agree.
    Go out, blitz them, then relax.
    I wouldn't start relaxing before we even kick off.

It's all very well and good saying that too but they'll be no pushover.

What a massive few weeks now up to fa cup weekend. Christmas could be tremendous or terrible:

December
    04 Hull City H 19:45
    08 Everton H 16:00
    11 Napoli A 19:45 UCL
    14 Man City A 12:45
    23 Chelsea H 20:00
    26 West Ham A
    29 Newcastle A 13:30
    January
    01 Cardiff H

They are four tough, tough away games (gulp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

In many ways; thank **** we're out of the Capital One Cup. Just don't have the squad for it while Chelsea do. They've a lovely trek up to Sunderland on the Tuesday before they play us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I expect to beat Hull but not easily or by taking them lightly.

They obviously set up well. Man City have destroyed everyone at home bar Hull (2-0). Lost 2-0 against Chelsea. Spurs (dodgy penalty) and Everton both struggled over them with a one goal win. They also beat Newcastle away where everyone else has struggled. Obviously that proves they are very beatable but not easily so.

We don't need to rest 4/5 but 2 changes don't necessarily weaken us. Walcott well worth a start and maybe Monreal and Rosicky. I don't think that weakens us at all - just gives us something different and positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anyone know where I can watch match of the day highlights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

In many ways; thank **** we're out of the Capital One Cup. Just don't have the squad for it while Chelsea do. They've a lovely trek up to Sunderland on the Tuesday before they play us.

Very true - it's a very tough schedule up to and including the City game. But then there's a decent rest period before Chelsea and the Christmas pile-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That should be a totally changed XI that will play at Emirates in the league though. The league is so tight at the moment, that the Capital 1 cup means sweet f.a. really.

We've Palace at home on the 14th, we'll probably make 9/10 changes to the team that plays Sunderland on the 17th and then we're off across London to play yereselves on the 23rd, thats a good 5 days rest with what should be a rested starting XI but you just never know in football.

The Arsenal game starts 4 very big games for us, Arsenal (a), Swansea (h), Liverpool (h), Southampton (a)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

gandalf wrote: »
    Personally I believe we should put our strongest team out and taking off Giroud early if things are going our way. He is the biggest risk we have, if he gets injured then our attack will be blunted badly.
    Thought that initially but I'm not convinced now. We'd lose something with Podolski or Walcott instead of Giroud but we'd gain in other ways too. The way Giroud is playing at the moment I don't think it'd be a hugely unfavourable trade off.

I'd rest Wilshere or Ozil for Theo against Hull, and give Flamini and Monreal well earned starts, but otherwise be full strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We really haven't been putting teams to the sword. All our league wins seem to be very delicately balanced at 1-0 till late in the game. On that basis, I don't think we can just take out our most effective attackers and assume that all will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My philosophy has always been win the game and then rest players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Win on Wednesday then give the lads a halfer on Thursday.

We really haven't been putting teams to the sword. All our league wins seem to be very delicately balanced at 1-0 till late in the game. On that basis, I don't think we can just take out our most effective attackers and assume that all will be fine.

Thats true but we are talking about bringing the likes of Walcott, Rosicky and Flamini in. Its hardly weakening the team very much and all crucial squad members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Been a bit selective there cson, the results that dont suit your arguement were meerly poor performances by the opposition whereas the ones that back it up were great performances by Cardiff.

Fact is both teams have far and away out performed expectation are are doing extremely well, I don't think I seen a list at the start of the year that didn't have Hull iin the bottom 3 and most had Cardiff aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

I think that is because we've learn't from our past mistakes, remember we used to concede so many times straight after scoring just because we went for the kill and use to go gung ho with everybody having a rush of blood to score.

Now we're calm and composed after scoring and we're not going gung ho, We retreat a bit and challenging the opposition let's see what you can do now, that's why there's quiet a few late goals. We're weathering the storm in the first 15-20 mins of 2nd half and hitting the teams with succer punch...

Sometimes I want the team to go for the kill, but really impressed with their maturity.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Actually any chance of Walcott getting a chance getting played up front against Hull maybe. Giroud looks fairly jaded at the moment and the last thing we need Is him getting some sort of injury coming into Christmas. He wont be getting a rest vs Everton, Napoli, Chelsea or City imo so against Hull seems to best time to do it.

Arteta---Ramsey

--Gnabry
    Ozil
    Rosicky--

Walcott

Maybe even Cazorla for Ozil but that might be too much. I think I would stick with Arteta because of the nature of the game and possibly play Flamini vs Everton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd be very tempted to rest Giroud this week, even just leaving him on the bench rather than a full rest. Start Walcott and if needed, bring Giroud on early in the second half. If he isn't needed, leave him on the bench. The games that follow are much tougher and it will be a while before he can be rested again.

Wouldn't be against resting Özil either so long as Ramsey is starting. Otherwise, more or less a full team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I agree give ye big fella a rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Is Wednesday's game on TV or will it be a streamer?

December
    04 Hull City H 19:45 (W)
    08 Everton H 16:00 (W)
    11 Napoli A 19:45 UCL -
    14 Man City A 12:45 (L)
    23 Chelsea H 20:00 (W)
    26 West Ham A (D)
    29 Newcastle A 13:30 (W)
    January
    01 Cardiff H (W)

Looking at those fixtures, 16 points is what I'd be happy with if we want to still be top by New Years. Above is an acceptable projection of what we should be looking for.

That would put us on 47 points with 20 games played, that's about a title-winning mark for that stage of the season. 1 more draw (ie in the Chelsea game) would put us on 45. Still reasonable, although dropping points to the main rivals only makes things harder. I'd rather draw with Newcastle and West Ham than drop points to Chelski.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    December
    26 West Ham A (D)
    January
    01 Cardiff H (W)

Looking at those fixtures, 16 points is what I'd be happy with if we want to still be top by New Years. Above is an acceptable projection of what we should be looking for.

That would put us on 47 points with 20 games played, that's about a title-winning mark for that stage of the season. 1 more draw (ie in the Chelsea game) would put us on 45. Still reasonable, although dropping points to the main rivals only makes things harder. I'd rather draw with Newcastle and West Ham than drop points to Chelski.

16 points out of the 21 available there would be unbelievably good. That is a really tough set of fixtures, particularly the five after Hull and before Cardiff.

If we were to be top on the evening of January 1st we are genuine contenders having played all the top teams once although a little lopsided in favour of us given that 4/6 of the big games will have been home ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

December
    26 West Ham A (D)
    January
    01 Cardiff H (W)

We cant win the league unless we beat City though, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Somebody is gonna beat City at home at some point in the future so it may as well be us.

keano_afc wrote: »
    We cant win the league unless we beat City though, apparently.

We can of course, but for all the rubbish pundits come out with, do we really believe we can win the league? We've come on so far in the past year to even be considering it now in December is an achievement. It's been so long though that I refuse to let myself get carried away.

Anyway going back to my original question, is Wednesday's game on the box or will it be a streamer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i've more confidence in the current side than any other in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i've more confidence in the current side than any other in recent years.

Totally agree!
    We could probably win the World cup as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Totally agree!
    We could probably win the World cup as well :pac:

Looking at the standard of International Football in recent times I would say any half decent club team would win the world cup, us included.

Anyway going back to my original question, is Wednesday's game on the box or will it be a streamer?

it'll be a streamer or on football first at 10 on sky

the other 6 after listed above are on TV though (city + west ham on BT the rest sky), then cardiff will be a streamer

& speaking of games on TV setanta/BT is €1 for december https://secure.setantasubs.com/

that's my xmas gift to you :pac:

EDIT: i think minimum subscription length is 2 months, it's usually €19.99 a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,484 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    & speaking of games on TV setanta/BT is €1 for december https://secure.setantasubs.com/

that's my xmas gift to you :pac:

EDIT: i think minimum subscription length is 2 months, it's usually €19.99 a month

How do you pay the euro? I have Sky Sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »

Has he got the award every month so far??

Ramsey has got the award every single month so far but he has not been officially voted player of the month for November yet.

It looks like he will win this month too though but I think that logically it should perhaps go to Szczesny, Mertesacker or Koscielny this month. Bear in mind that Arsenal conceded 1 goal in total against:

Liverpool (H), Dormund (A), United (A), Southampton (H), Marseille (H) and Cardiff (A).

But can't have too many problems with Ramsey getting it again. Hopefully he gets it every month for 10 years.

Did he also get it in April/May of the season gone by??

Did he also get it in April/May of the season gone by??

He got the final award for last season, yes.

He got the final award for last season, yes.

I think he won both April and May

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Arsenal Player of the Month (4): April 2013, August 2013, September 2013, October 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

AdamD wrote: »

Insanely good compilation considering there all performances form just one month.

Scary thing is he is only turning 23 this month
    He is after missing 18 months of his development
    And he is still this good

He is going to go down as all time great with this club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Wondering will Bendtner have the same turn around in fortunes as Ramsey? This time next year we'll be laughing at how we wanted him sold :o

• Advertisement

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Wondering will Bendtner have the same turn around in fortunes as Ramsey? This time next year we'll be laughing at how we wanted him sold :o

Still can't believe people wanted him sold

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement