Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's amazing what having a good defensive record does on the pitch.

Arseblog mentioned this but once Hull went 2 down they gave up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

gosplan wrote: »
    It's amazing what having a good defensive record does on the pitch.

Arseblog mentioned this but once Hull went 2 down they gave up.

I saw this interesting article the other day that explains just how good our defense is. When Szczesny, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs and Sagna are on the pitch we have not lost a single Premier league game, ever.

Great stats from yesterday, 9 of the players had a passing accuracy over 90%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

The back 4 have been so impressive this season, they look so composed on the ball, even under pressure they always seem to find a man. Mert and Kos understanding of each other aswell is key, at one stage when a ball was placed over the top where Mert was never going to get there, it was Kos covering in behind him, I know they are professionals and this is what they should be doing anyway, but its just so refreshing to see that we are now very solid at the back.

On a side note, when Ches gave a ridiculous attempted pass out to Kos while under pressure and therefore giving the ball away, it was good to see Kos giving him an earful to get rid of it first time, less of the antics please Ches!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jester77 wrote: »
    I saw this interesting article the other day that explains just how good our defense is. When Szczesny, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs and Sagna are on the pitch we have not lost a single Premier league game, ever.

Really? That's a mad stat if true. So there's always been one missing when we e played one of the big boys tve last 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really? That's a mad stat if true. So there's always been one missing when we e played one of the big boys tve last 2 years?

So the author claims. She's gone through all the games since Mertesacker signed. It was 1-1 against Villa when Gibbs was replaced and Mertesacker was missing against against Utd. The last goal they have conceded as a unit was in the 4-1 win over Norwich. She also goes through a few of the games from last season as well but the stats hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Wenger on the schedule…
    "It's not fair or unfair, it is just no co-ordination between the television choices because you would say that we could have played on Saturday against Everton and we could play Sunday or Monday against Man City. It looks strange that we play Saturday morning and our next game after that is Monday night against Chelsea nine days later. Especially when there is little time between a decisive Champions League game on Wednesday night and Saturday 12.45pm."

I thought our manager was supposed to be a whinger? Can you imagine any of the other top managers being so pragmatic.
    Classy as always Arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is'nt Google great! :)
    That wasn't his first goal for the club was it? I'll always remember that goal as the goal that won us the league. We were at a crucial stage of the season and we were struggling to break them down. A draw or a loss in that game could've changed the outcome of the rest of the season, but up popped Gilles and he saved the day, and we romped on from there to win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Everton(H), Napoli (A), Man City (A), Chelsea (H), West Ham (A), Newcastle(A)

Only two home games between now and the New Year, very tough looking fixture list. Chelsea looking leaky, 3 points from them would be great!

No better team than Arsenal to do it though.

The key games are our home games (obviously) and napoli. A draw against city and a win against chelsea would keep the pack largely at bay. Everton will be tough and if we winh, it'll be huge. We should be pencilling in wins against west ham and newcastle.

I like the idea of Berba at the emirates. He would be used as back up to Giroud so playing hopefully wouldn't be too risky. Imagine what he would be like on the end of Ozil's and Ramsey's passes. With Walcott back, we have the midfield that could compensate for his one dimensionalness. Having said that, Giroud tracks back a lot and we would lose that with Berba (and possibly any other january buy, like Hernandez).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I like the idea of Berba at the emirates. He would be used as back up to Giroud so playing hopefully wouldn't be too risky. Imagine what he would be like on the end of Ozil's and Ramsey's passes.
    He'd have to actually move his lazy arse to receive the passes first. Do not want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

As interesting as that article is, does anyone have stats of just how many times the back four of Sagna, Kos, Mert and Gibbs have played together?

• Advertisement

15 games I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

He'd have to actually move his lazy arse to receive the passes first. Do not want!

BUT, his selfishness for goals should supercede his laziness. Who would be better, Berba or Bendtner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

BUT, his selfishness for goals should supercede his laziness. Who would be better, Berba or Bendtner?

We should be looking for something different though, I wouldn't be too confident when we are down a goal and bring on Berbatov to try and save the day. Maybe in the past yes but not nowadays.

He should be pulling up his socks and getting stuck in to help Fulham survive but instead he continues his lazy ways and the head went down when things got tough, and now giving vibes he wants to leave instead of sticking out the season and trying to help the club get out of the dogfight they are currently in.

On the Berba or Bendtner and who would I rather, at the moment I would rather Bendtner, he took his goal great last night but still get rid of him in January or next summer and sign a top proven striker with a good attitude and an eye for goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Right this game on Sunday is huge now. If we win that we could still possibly be top after the City and Chelsea games even if they do not go according to plan.

Everton are a goo side. They also did what we couldn't do by going to Old Trafford and win. They also have only lost one game this season in the League-less than anyone else.

Watching them here now and there midfield three are a good combo. Wingers are dangerous and they have a beast of a centre forward and have options from the bench. All of those things will cause us many problems.

That said they are open to the counter attack. Wide open. Walcott is a must for this game IMO.

Martinez said last night that the sign of a good team is one that doesn't change to take account for the opposition. Let's see does he stick to his guns.

Would like to see Arteta, Ramsey, Walcott, Ozil, Cazorla and Giroud.

Wilshere probably start instead of Walcott or Cazorla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

ironkiwi wrote: »
    We should be looking for something different though, I wouldn't be too confident when we are down a goal and bring on Berbatov to try and save the day. Maybe in the past yes but not nowadays.

He should be pulling up his socks and getting stuck in to help Fulham survive but instead he continues his lazy ways and the head went down when things got tough, and now giving vibes he wants to leave instead of sticking out the season and trying to help the club get out of the dogfight they are currently in.

On the Berba or Bendtner and who would I rather, at the moment I would rather Bendtner, he took his goal great last night but still get rid of him in January or next summer and sign a top proven striker with a good attitude and an eye for goal

I think Berbatov would be a very good short-term buy for Arsenal. What Arsenal really need is a real world-class striker but you won't get one in January.

Berbatov would score so many goals with that mid-field behind him. Could help Arsenal get over the line for a league/cup/euro trophy they really want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 13 (8)
    Giroud 10 (7)
    Wilshere 4 (2)
    Ozil 4 (3)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Bendtner 1 (1)
    Flamini 1 (1)
    Cazorla 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

So, I was at the match and was annoyed to see big B in the starting XI. "I didn't pay big money to see Bendtner lead the line!". I remarked. Luckily though, Wenger's gamble paid off and we still got the 3 points after resting a few players. The next 3 games will be massive for us so it is probably in the club's best interest that Giroud gets a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

yea i paid 150!!! to see bendter was terrible!

Arsenal need a world class striker or a stop gap who a) is a grafter, b) has pace and makes runs in behind, and c) won't upset the esprit de corps of the squad. Berbatov fails on all counts.

Arsenal need a world class striker or a stop gap who a) is a grafter, b) has pace and makes runs in behind, and c) won't upset the esprit de corps of the squad. Berbatov fails on all counts.

Arsenal need a striker that will score goals and create them for the brilliant midfield we have.

He succeeds on both counts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Getting the early lead goal in recent games has enabled the team to settle down and play some lovely football. In many games over the last few seasons we have fallen behind to silly goals and were playing catch-up. The defence has been very good and very steady. Playing with immense confidence.

Long may it continue.

Arsenal need a striker that will score goals and create them for the brilliant midfield we have.

Not lately.

Besides, the team has a wealth of creators already. It needs a runner.

Not lately.

If only we had Suarez.
    Roll on January :D:D

Not lately.

Like Walcott??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That does a disservice to Giroud, he does both of those forward jobs, plus wins loads of headers defending corners, plus works his socks off up and down the pitch even when things aren't going his way. Berba would not offer any of that.

Not lately.

Personally I don't like Berbatov. But he has quality. Were he available for less than 5 million I think he be worth a gamble.

He has fantastic technical ability, he can hold up the ball and bring others into the game and he is a deadly finisher.

Yes he is moany, lazy and Giroud beats him in team work. But we are talking about a backup striker here. Also I think his motivation playing with Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla would see more out of him.

• Advertisement

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That does a disservice to Giroud, he does both of those forward jobs, plus wins loads of headers defending corners, plus works his socks off up and down the pitch even when things aren't going his way. Berba would not offer any of that.

Yes I agree on all that but I mean as a backup striker that gives us another option - I am not seeking to replace Giroud.

We have no one else. Walcott or Podolski or Bendtner cant offer all the things you mention there.

I love Giroud. I am talking about getting an extra dimension in the event of injury, suspension, tiredness, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Barca will be in for Rambo in the summer.............with Cesc coming the other way :P

The Daily Mail reports Barca scouts watched Ramsey in the Gunners' past four matches -- including their victory over Hull on Wednesday evening -- and Wales' past two internationals against Belgium and Macedonia. It is said the Premier League leaders would not be willing to part with the 22-year-old for anything less than 50 million pounds.

Perhaps moving in the other direction, though, is Cesc Fabregas. The same report indicates those in power in north London have yet given up hope of luring the former Arsenal captain back to the club, particularly if Barcelona launch an audacious bid for Ramsey.

Story originated from the Daily Fail but I refuse to directly link to them

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/13419?cc=5739

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Personally I don't like Berbatov. But he has quality. Were he available for less than 5 million I think he be worth a gamble.

He has fantastic technical ability, he can hold up the ball and bring others into the game and he is a deadly finisher.

Yes he is moany, lazy and Giroud beats him in team work. But we are talking about a backup striker here. Also I think his motivation playing with Ozil, Ramsey and Cazorla would see more out of him.

No, not Berbatov. He is past it and not worth the bother, IMO. I would like us to get an extra striker though, in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Berbatov talk is about as relevant as the John Joe Shelvey talk was during the summer.

He's not good enough even as a stop gap and at 32 soon to be 33 it will never happen, under 5 million??? :eek: For a 33 year old fading footballer. Free would be the only way I'd consider it but it wont happen in a million years.

Barca will be in for Rambo in the summer.............with Cesc coming the other way :P

Story originated from the Daily Fail but I refuse to directly link to them

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/onthemove/id/13419?cc=5739

Haha could you actually imagine if you posted that link last season??:D

Everyone would be looking at the calendar to see was it April 1st!

Sport is amazing.

• Advertisement

Berbatov talk is about as relevant as the John Joe Shelvey talk was during the summer.

He's not good enough even as a stop gap and at 32 soon to be 33 it will never happen, under 5 million??? :eek: For a 33 year old fading footballer. Free would be the only way I'd consider it but it wont happen in a million years.

Didn't realise he was that old - 5 million would be crazy alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You have to love him

Mesut Özil ‏@MesutOzil1088 19h Three games, nine points, 7:0 goals - Winter-wonderland in London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If we are looking for a centre forward in January to do us until the end of the season look no further than Antonio Di Natale, absolute quality little player and would be eligible for the Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If we are looking for a centre forward in January to do us until the end of the season look no further than Antonio Di Natale, absolute quality little player and would be eligible for the Champions League.

Isnt he the same age as Wenger though? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If we are looking for a centre forward in January to do us until the end of the season look no further than Antonio Di NataleLuis Muriel, absolute quality little player and would be eligible for the Champions League.

Fixed that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Doubt we will sign anyone of note in January.

Bendtner playing last night will have convinced Wenger that between Giroud/Poldi/Bendtner he has enough firepower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Podolski back in training today apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Bendtner playing last night will have convinced Wenger that between Giroud/Poldi/Bendtner he has enough firepower.

Rooney might be looking for champions league football next season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MaxPower89 wrote: »

Hopefully Bendtner will still be determined to leave in Jan and will force Arsene's hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I have no problems with not signing anyone in the Summer.

Confident that Giroud, Podolski, Bendtner, Walcott and Sanogo are enough for the centre-forward position and I don't think it's worth risking millions on another back-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Dont forget Rvp :P

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I have no problems with not signing anyone in the Summer.

Confident that Giroud, Podolski, Bendtner, Walcott and Sanogo are enough for the centre-forward position and I don't think it's worth risking millions on another back-up.

Don't know why you would include Sanogo on that list.
    We only saw him as a sub twice and for a very short time and he didn't show much in that short cameo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Too bad we don't need a second striker, though, I'd gladly swap him for Giroud if we had Suarez. Rooney and Suarez would do some serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Too bad we don't need a second striker, though, I'd gladly swap him for Giroud if we had Suarez. Rooney and Suarez would do some serious damage.
    Id take giroud over Rooney every day of the week.

Im enjoying seeing him struggle in a midtable team

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE ROUTE

If we beat Napoli, we've earned: €19,200,000 so far in the Champions League.
    If we draw with Napoli, we've earned: €18,700,000 so far in the Champions League.
    If we lose to Napoli, we've earned: €18,200,000 so far in the Champions League

EUROPA LEAGUE ROUTE

If we lose to Napoli by 3 goals, we've earned: €14,700,000 in the Champions League.

If we're runners-up in the Europa League, we've earned: €18,700,000.
    If we win the Europa League, we've earned: €21,200,000

Pretty much explains the importance Champions League qualification from the group from a financial standpoint.

Then you also have to ad on TV right deals the clubs get, which I have no figures for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Pretty much explains the importance Champions League qualification from the group from a financial standpoint.

Then you also have to ad on TV right deals the clubs get, which I have no figures for.

the figures are off a bit, you're adding the money for the playoff round too, that isn't added on if you get to the group stage.
    groups = 8.6 (+ each win = 1 or draw = 0.5), R16 = 3.5, QF = 3.9, SF = 4.9
    RU = 6.5, W = 10.5 - all million(s) by the way

so it's:
    lose and go into the EL = 12.6m
    lose & go through = 16.1m
    draw = 16.6m
    win = 17.1m

the english TV money is split in two:
    the first half awards 40% to last seasons PL winners, 30% to 2nd, 20% 3rd & 10% 4th
    the other half is awarded on how far a team progresses in the CL (games played)
    last year english TV money was 72,632,000

the EL money for each round is:
    R32 = 200k, R16 = 350k, QF = 450k, SF = 1m, RU = 2.5m, W = 5m

so 7m if you win the EL coming in from the champions league before TV money is added
    chelsea got 3.7m in TV money from it, they got 18.6m from the CL TV money the same season

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the figures are off a bit, you're adding the money for the playoff round too, that isn't added on if you get to the group stage.
    groups = 8.6 (+ each win = 1 or draw = 0.5), R16 = 3.5, QF = 3.9, SF = 4.9
    RU = 6.5, W = 10.5 - all million(s) by the way

so it's:
    lose and go into the EL = 12.6m
    lose & go through = 16.1m
    draw = 16.6m
    win = 17.1m

We did qualify through the playoffs, so the figures are right. 20 teams earn €2,100,000 just for being in the playoffs - Arsenal were in the playoffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

We did qualify through the playoffs, so the figures are right. 20 teams earn €2,100,000 just for being in the playoffs - Arsenal were in the playoffs.

i know they were :pac:

i just didn't think it carried on you got through to the groups, you know if it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rooney is actually playing pretty well at the moment. Now, he's the only united player who can claim that but still.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Seriously? Hate him or love him rooney is a beast of player and would start on just about any team in the world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement