Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Brilliant signing, ourselves and Chelsea have tasty midfields. Not to be negative but overall it still was a poor window but I'm okay with the strategy being we're only going to pay for top drawer talent. Shame we only got one.

But ozil will make it easier to attract other top names.

Per and poldi = legends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We should have held onto Campbell could have provided cover until January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

You never know, this may pave the way for one or two more Germans come January or next Summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Delighted with Ozil. One of the best players in the world and the kind of transfer we have all been looking for. While im disappointed we didnt sign some sort of striker, Ive never been more confident of Wenger getting in the players we need in the future. If Wenger can convince Ozil to join us he must have some amazing plans

Signing ozil def means we won't be getting cesc

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    Delighted with Ozil. One of the best players in the world and the kind of transfer we have all been looking for. While im disappointed we didnt sign some sort of striker, Ive never been more confident of Wenger getting in the players we need in the future. If Wenger can convince Ozil to join us he must have some amazing plans

Suarez won't be cup tied in January :-P :-P

Exactly :D and I have every faith that he will get someone of that quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

And we still have the guts of £50 million in the bank :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Gringo180 wrote: »
    CARROLL?

i have no probalem mentioning carroll i just didnt because he wasnt a world class player coming to liverpool so his failure is more down to incompetance from the people who valued him in the first place

i dont know how many times i have to say it that i do think he will be a great signing. maybe people just get blinded when they see my name on here. ffs i could post the same stuff under a different name and peopel would see the logic of all im pointing out. typical of these forums though group mentality. you either agree or you can f##k off if is the general idea around here. and god forbid you disagree with one of the forum pets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Tomorrows the Champions league final (yeah yeah I know) and everyone is fit... whats your team?

Szcz
    Sagna, Mert, Kos, Gibbs
    Flamini, Ozil, Ramsey
    Walcott, Giroud, Santi.

Fabianski, Jenkinson, Verm, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Podolski

Might be alone putting Flamini in there but thats what I would go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Liverpool fan here, think he's a little over priced and maybe not what ye needed most but a very exciting addition I look forward to watching.

The sort of transfer we all love our clubs to make

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

ronjo wrote: »
    Tomorrows the Champions league final (yeah yeah I know) and everyone is fit... whats your team?

Szcz
    Sagna, Mert, Kos, Gibbs
    Flamini, Ozil, Ramsey
    Walcott, Giroud, Santi.

Fabianski, Jenkinson, Verm, Arteta, Rosicky, Wilshere, Podolski

Might be alone putting Flamini in there but thats what I would go with.

Yeah pretty much my team, maybe arteta instead of Ramsey, I'm probably alone with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here, think he's a little over priced and maybe not what ye needed most but a very exciting addition I look forward to watching.

42million for the best CAM in the world? Pretty good deal. Especially since Bale sold for double that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looking back over the whole Summer, it's a real shame we didn't conclude the Higuain deal. Not sure if we would have gotten Ozil then, but if we had Higuain now we would be in a very strong position.

We have a very technical and creative midfield, Flamini gives us that bit of toughness we need for teams like Stoke. Higuan and Giroud up front to take advantage of all that would have been fantastic. Just hope we don't burn Giroud out now, the lad has a very high work rate.

Hopefully our injuries clear up and we can get a good run injury free, plus Diaby will be like a new signing when he comes back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

gandalf wrote: »
    This is the Arsenal thread isn't it? Because there is too much discussion about the 100 million flops in this thread at the moment!

Played 3, won 2, point 6 ... remind you of anyone else?

42million for the best CAM in the world? Pretty good deal. Especially since Bale sold for double that.

Wasnt it 50M? 50M for any footballer is insane.

How will ye line up with him? Ramsey has been great at the start of the season no?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

ffs, you guys wanted €60m for Suarez and you think we paid over the odds for Ozil - jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

How will ye line up with him? Ramsey has been great at the start of the season no?

Its a lot of dosh alright but Ozil and Giroud probably cost the same as Carroll and downing ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ramsey dropped for Flamini already? Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

42m pounds, 50m euro

• Advertisement

Played 3, won 2, point 6 ... remind you of anyone else?

nope.

Who are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭golfball37

Madrid wouldn't be getting rid of Ozil if he was all that. He has gone down hill in in a big way the last year. I hope he finds himself again in London as he is a super player when in full flight, as good as Mata or Silva.

ronjo wrote: »
    Its a lot of dosh alright but Ozil and Giroud probably cost the same as Carroll and downing ;)

50m for any footballer is insane, £35m for Andy Carroll is depression :(

As i said, im looking forward to him playing. Hes on a level with Mata, and he will do well

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It's not insane if you can afford it.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Madrid wouldn't be getting rid of Ozil if he was all that. He has gone down hill in in a big way the last year. I hope he finds himself again in London as he is a super player when in full flight, as good as Mata or Silva.

Can Arsenal ever get a break.

If we'd signed Messi, Ronaldo and Bale there would still be people complaining.

Of all the players in the world we could have signed, Ozil is up there with the best.

Not a has-been, not a choker, not a gamble, not potential. But class, World Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Has young Mezut been given a squad number yet?

Madrid wouldn't be getting rid of Ozil if he was all that. He has gone down hill in in a big way the last year.

Rubbish.

you’ve been trying to pour scorn on this transfer since rumors first appeared in the press – are you a spurs fan by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Arsenal 12/1 for the League. A decent e/w bet IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Going on line to buy the jersey with the new lad on the back.
    Seems theyre spelling it Ozil not Özil.
    Is that wrong or does it matter?

djPSB wrote: »
    Arsenal 12/1 for the League. A decent e/w bet IMO.

We won't win the league with this squad, still not enough depth and the way we seem to pick up injuries so easily is worrying.

Ya no ya signed world class when every other teams supporters comes in to tell ya he is not worth the money

On the team with everyone fit I think jack looses out

Arteta/Ramsey behind ozil

But come end of season and with more of an understanding

Wilshere/Ramsey and I think that's gonna become one of the best in world football in a few years time

Flamini will be back up no way he starts with everyone fit

Ö is a different letter to O, technically if you don't have a way to write ö then you write oe, but that will look silly on the jersey imo.

wait a few days i'm sure they'll put the umlaut in.

jester77 wrote: »
    We won't win the league with this squad, still not enough depth and the way we seem to pick up injuries so easily is worrying.

Even if we got the world class striker and that I still don't think we would have won the league

Takes a team maybe two seasons to have a proper go at the title I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

That is class A bullsh*t tbh.

Are you basing that off anything or just making it up for arguments sake. He was still massively important for Madrid last season.

In the league alone he scored 9 goals, made 13 assists, and had a passing accuracy of over 83% in the OPPONENTS half.... and that's considering he started 23 league games!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

I know, he dropped so much last year. He only got the most assists in the league and most assists at Euro2012. Terrible season :/

Go away.

Will Cazorla be out left? (or has he always been playing there?)

I know, he dropped so much last year. He only got the most assists in the league and most assists at Euro2012. Terrible season :/

Go away.

second most assists last season. also same as messi and 2 more than his next madrid counter part benze

Cannot wait for our next match. Sunderland are in trouble!!

Will Wenger put Ozil in straight away?

• Advertisement

yeah, sunderland is a good first match, they're not playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The RealMadrid fans shouting for Ozil during the Bale unveiling should be enough to convince anyone that it's a great piece of business. Delighted. Would have been even happier though if we'd got Higuain too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

dorgasm wrote: »
    Nice video here of his goals and assists from last season. It's long but worth a watch. I see Ozil-Giroud set-piece goals in our future. I'm getting very excited :D

1:40 and 9:35. The composure and vision is breathtaking. :)

Paulegend wrote: »
    second most assists last season. also same as messi and 2 more than his next madrid counter part benze

i hope we kept the receipt, he only got the same number of assits as messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

For all the slating Wenger has got this summer I think its fair to point out that if it weren't for the fact he was in charge Ozil wouldn't have came to us.

Ozil's comments afterwards seem to back that up a bit too.

I wonder how long he had this deal in his mind for? It must have been frustrating to be getting all the flak he did, knowing that he couldn't complete the deal until Bale's had gone through.

While we could have done with a couple of additions in 1 or 2 positions I'm actually happy if you stay with the policy of one massive signing per window rather the three or four decent ones (or seven in some cases! :pac:). That's exactly how we'll avoid collecting deadwood.

While Ba would have been useful I'm happy enough thinking that perhaps not getting him now means that we make a massive signing up front next summer (or even January).

Jesus Christ lads I still can't believe we signed Mesut Ozil!!!!!!!! COYG!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah. You must be thanking your lucky stars this morning that Spurs dodged that particular bullet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's a shame we have such a wait before we see him play. On a positive note that gives a chance for some of our injured guys to get back to contention. Anyone know their likely return dates ?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i hope we kept the receipt, he only got the same number of assits as messi.

i was defending your arguement:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

A league challenge is still out of reach, for a couple of seasons at least. We're still quite shallow in terms of squad depth. Would fancy us for a run at one of the cups though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So it looks like to counteract the positive Ozil news, we're stuck with Bendtner.

I'm not a fan of the guy but he's got some talent hidden somewhere behind the lack of application and massive ego.

If the unthinkable happens and Giroud picks up an injury, you'd hope he'd at least see any inclusion he gets as the huge good fortune it would be and the final chance he'd get to carve out some form of a high level career for himself before leaving.

I mean Crystal Palace is his level now. If he gets a chance to be in the shop window with Ozil, Walcott and Cazorla supplying him, you'd hope he'd see the opportunity for what it is.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement