Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »
    The team didn't melt down at 1-0...it was a wonder strike.

Oh I know.

I'm kind of saying that that's the reason they didn't play at their best particularly in the first half.

Again though, our awesome defence gave us the platform to win it. Superb performance in that regard.

As I said though you can't always keep a clean sheet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

By the way what has happened to cazorla?

Has been nothing like the player we got last year.

Hope its not that second season lark they go on about.

When he plays to his potential he is world class.

The team didn't melt down at 1-0...it was a wonder strike.

Should have been defended better though. The throw from Gibbs put his defence in trouble straight away.

I dont take anything away from Everton who are a well coached side but we really need to have put them away once we got our noses in front.

Just fear we are not able to roll up the sleeves and get physical when required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

tbh i always thought his best position was where Ozil plays, never liked him out on the wing, doesnt offer much out there and cant beat a man and rarely tracks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

My theory is that he doesn't have the free role like last season.
    Without as much freedom to wonder he's struggling.

Raf32 wrote: »
    tbh i always thought his best position was where Ozil plays, never liked him out on the wing, doesnt offer much out there and cant beat a man and rarely tracks back.

Agree I always said he isn't as effective on the wing and a few here disagreed.

Hope he finds form, loved watching him play last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I just think there needs to be more of a desire to roll up the sleeves. Too many lads shying away from the battle. Santi and Ozil are our two most expensive players and they didnt want to know in that first half. Wenger needs to realise this, get ruthless with them and send out a message to the squad that slacking wont be tolerated. We arent trying to stay in the top four we are trying to win the league and end a trophy drought ffs and the lads we paid big money for to help us do this need to lead by example

The secret of Manchester United's success all of these years has been the clinical nature of Alex Ferguson in communicating with his players. When a player didnt pull his weight he knew about it straight away no matter who he was.

Scoring goals and laying on assists all season is leading by example no?

Mesut Ozil has a laconic style of playing. It's not quite on the same level as Berbatov but he is of a similar ilk. The problem with those type of players is that they can appear lazy and disinterested when things are not going well.

I really don't think it's fair or proportionate to have a go at him though. Or Santi. At the end of the day you want your creative players to create. Of course they have to pull some weight defensively, it's a team unit, but being honest Olivier Giroud is an absolute trojan workhorse he helps to compensate for anything Ozil doesn't put in.

What you absolutely don't want is Ozil and Santi running their balls off backwards for 90 mins thus limiting their energy levels to create in the areas they should be in.

It's absolutely no coincidence that Arsenal looked sharper and more dangerous when Flamini was on the field. For his age he's absolutely immense and his mere presence frees the lads up to attack with more confidence. Wilshere & Ramsey for all their qualities don't instill the same confidence as Flamini & Arteta do.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    My theory is that he doesn't have the free role like last season.
    Without as much freedom to wonder he's struggling.

Yeah that true, but even his passing has been way off, can't even get the simple ones right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mesut Ozil has a laconic style of playing. It's not quite on the same level as Berbatov but he is of a similar ilk. The problem with those type of players is that they can appear lazy and disinterested when things are not going well.

I really don't think it's fair or proportionate to have a go at him though. Or Santi. At the end of the day you want your creative players to create. Of course they have to pull some weight defensively, it's a team unit, but being honest Olivier Giroud is an absolute trojan workhorse he helps to compensate for anything Ozil doesn't put in.

What you absolutely don't want is Ozil and Santi running their balls off backwards for 90 mins thus limiting their energy levels to create in the areas they should be in.

It's absolutely no coincidence that Arsenal looked sharper and more dangerous when Flamini was on the field. For his age he's absolutely immense and his mere presence frees the lads up to attack with more confidence. Wilshere & Ramsey for all their qualities don't instill the same confidence as Flamini & Arteta do.

Part of the reason that the likes of Ozil may seem lazy is because their touch is so good they rarely give the ball away. The media love to see a player hounding an opposition player for the ball
    after he has lost possession in the first place.
    Players like Ozil have such good ball control they rarely have to spend time chasing a f*ck up of their own doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Maire2009 wrote: »
    That quote says a lot. I'm angrier we lost at Old Trafford to an awful, terrible, rubbish United team than got a draw against a very good Everton side.

totally agree.
    I was one of the people that stressed the importance of winning all home games, but I am not very disappointed with the draw because it was against a team in equally great form. Obviously it would have been amazing if Giroud's last-minute rocket have gone in.
    5 games clear and 35 points out of a maximum 45 is still great. The next two games are really difficult and I think it's important to keep on top after them.
    I am quite worried about the City game, having in mind what happened to Utd and Spurs. We are better than both of them, but I expect City to give it all and try to knock us off balance, send a message. I'd reckon Theo should start, most likely scenario we will be under pressure and play counter attack.
    I'd also be in favour of rotation against Napoli. Doesn't seem very likely that we are going to lose 3-0 and be left out. Ideally I'd like for Ramsey, Özil and Giroud to be rested, maybe start Walcott (to give him some play time) and Rosicky - both good in counter attack that might come in handy against a desperate Napoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ah come on now lads some of you are being very harsh, for me it's defo a point earned. Everton have been brilliant this season under Martinez and they started very well with high tempo and pressing us all the time whenever we had the ball. We didn't start until the 35th minute and as some of you pointed out Ramsey, wilshere, Arteta didn't have their usual game, Santi was piss poor again.

Defence was brilliant, especially Mert and Kos. I thought Gibbo was a wee bit susceptible anyway all in all a good point against a good side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Irish Aris wrote: »
    totally agree.
    I was one of the people that stressed the importance of winning all home games, but I am not very disappointed with the draw because it was against a team in equally great form. Obviously it would have been amazing if Giroud's last-minute rocket have gone in.
    5 games clear and 35 points out of a maximum 45 is still great. The next two games are really difficult and I think it's important to keep on top after them.
    I am quite worried about the City game, having in mind what happened to Utd and Spurs. We are better than both of them, but I expect City to give it all and try to knock us off balance, send a message. I'd reckon Theo should start, most likely scenario we will be under pressure and play counter attack.
    I'd also be in favour of rotation against Napoli. Doesn't seem very likely that we are going to lose 3-0 and be left out. Ideally I'd like for Ramsey, Özil and Giroud to be rested, maybe start Walcott (to give him some play time) and Rosicky - both good in counter attack that might come in handy against a desperate Napoli.

Is young Gnabry out injured? If not I'd throw him in against Napoli - he has no fear and will help keep the Italians pinned back. if we started him/Theo I'd fancy us to nick an early goal and put the game to bed early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Is young Gnabry out injured? If not I'd throw him in against Napoli - he has no fear and will help keep the Italians pinned back. if we started him/Theo I'd fancy us to nick an early goal and put the game to bed early.

you know what, you are right!! Ideal for such a game and will put him back on the map!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Interesting quotes from Arteta:

"It was a really tough game, a really high tempo game. They dominated the first 35 minutes or so but after that we had three clear chances. "In the second half we were the better side. Everton are the best side we have faced this season in the Premier League.

Just highlights what Everton brought to the table. We were up against a very good side rather than being just poor on our own terms.

Here's hoping Arteta's view is the same in a couple of weeks time when we have played 2 teams that are considered better.

I accept your argument but Barcelona have a policy where when you lose the ball you aim to win it back within a certain timeframe. There is times where Ozil and Santi are practically a few feet away and wont make a challenge to retrieve the ball. They are putting the other deeper lying midfielders under pressure then.

TBF Everton were excellent today i take nothing away from them. Just not so sure from our point of view if we can have too many flair players in the big games. Maybe requires the need for Flamini and Arteta. Jack is more direct in a more forward position.

Also do any posters feel that while we have doubts about Giroud as a top striker do we not leave him criminally isolated at times? I think he wins some great chests/headers and never has enough around him at certain periods. When we build up slowly it's fine but I think Walcott would make Giroud look even better. Sometimes he ships a lot of blame but is getting little direct support.

Also do any posters feel that while we have doubts about Giroud as a top striker do we not leave him criminally isolated at times? I think he wins some great chests/headers and never has enough around him at certain periods. When we build up slowly it's fine but I think Walcott would make Giroud look even better. Sometimes he ships a lot of blame but is getting little direct support.

I made that point earlier - he was terribly isolated up front today. He works really hard and wins a lot of ball. I think Giroud is just let down by his lack of pace, which there is nothing much he can do about.

I made that point earlier - he was terribly isolated up front today. He works really hard and wins a lot of ball. I think Giroud is just let down by his lack of pace, which there is nothing much he can do about.

Exactly-that's the player he is. To be honest despite some of our reservations you can have all the Suarez/Aguero's in the world but they can't consistently offer his strength and all he brings.

I think there is an onus on Wenger now to see what Walcott can offer on a consistent run beside him. We need more pace and directness to mix it up.

Hope we don't see Ramsey on Wednesday.

Exactly-that's the player he is. To be honest despite some of our reservations you can have all the Suarez/Aguero's in the world but they can't consistently offer his strength and all he brings.

I think there is an onus on Wenger now to see what Walcott can offer on a consistent run beside him. We need more pace and directness to mix it up.

Are you saying you think giroud is better than Suarez and aguero?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

No he is just saying he provides something different in hold up play which the others cannot supply as well as him. Which is a fair comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In the first half today all four midfielders, Santi, Ramsey, Jack and Ozil were guilty of giving the ball away and failing to retain possession. You would think they never played together before. For all four of them to be poor is a reflection on the excellent game-plan conjured up by Martinez. This is the first time I can recall our midfield suffering so much as a unit.

I thought Walcott should have been introduced after 20 minutes as this would have prevented them pushing up and choking the midfield. They would have been afraid of his pace and him getting in behind them. Rosicky caused them trouble too when he came on as he took the ball past them and attacked through the middle.
    Sometimes we are too slow making changes I feel.

No not at all. I don't think there is a football watcher anywhere that would say that he's a better footballer.

What I am saying is that Giroud plays in front of a 3 from Cazorla/Ozil/Walcott/Wilshere/Gnabry and sometimes Ramsey. Bar Ramsey there is no physicality and he typically plays deeper. So we need Giroud and his skill set. He has strengths that compliment the others and makes us a better and more balanced team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

In the first half today all four midfielders, Santi, Ramsey, Jack and Ozil were guilty of giving the ball away and failing to retain possession. You would think they never played together before. For all four of them to be poor is a reflection on the excellent game-plan conjured up by Martinez. This is the first time I can recall our midfield suffering so much as a unit.

I thought Walcott should have been introduced after 20 minutes as this would have prevented them pushing up and choking the midfield. They would have been afraid of his pace and him getting in behind them. Rosicky caused them trouble too when he came on as he took the ball past them and attacked through the middle.
    Sometimes we are too slow making changes I feel.

Baffled by Wilshere's inclusion ahead of Walcott. Hes not a good enough right winger and its a bit unfair on him and the team for him to be there. I think Rosicky deserves a start over Santi too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

We need Poldi or Chamberlain back to provide better width on the left. Cazorla's much better in the center, but will never get the nod ahead of Ozil unless he's rested.

No not at all. I don't think there is a football watcher anywhere that would say that he's a better footballer.

What I am saying is that Giroud plays in front of a 3 from Cazorla/Ozil/Walcott/Wilshere/Gnabry and sometimes Ramsey. Bar Ramsey there is no physicality and he typically plays deeper. So we need Giroud and his skill set. He has strengths that compliment the others and makes us a better and more balanced team.
    I get what you're saying, but I think with one of them in the team we wouldn't need that physicality upfront and we would be better for that.

• Advertisement

I get what you're saying, but I think with one of them in the team we wouldn't need that physicality upfront and we would be better for that.

Possibly but I don't think it's a dead cert to say if we had one of them we would walk the League. We would be very light and some teams would find it a little easier to cope with us. Giroud is a critical member of our set piece set up defensively too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Aguero offers bags of strength, just not the height

Possibly but I don't think it's a dead cert to say if we had one of them we would walk the League. We would be very light and some teams would find it a little easier to cope with us. Giroud is a critical member of our set piece set up defensively too.

I think with Suarez we would walk the league.

You're underestimating our physicality nowadays, we have plenty of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If you're looking for a player that offers Height,Strength and Pace then Udinese's Muriel is perfect.

He'd be the perfect backup/starter to have.

I think with Suarez we would walk the league.

You're underestimating our physicality nowadays, we have plenty of it.

Having watched that game today I don't think I am. Taking Giroud out of that today and we had no physicality outside our two centre halfs. Barkley bullied Arteta today consistently through strength and skill.

• Advertisement

Having watched that game today I don't think I am. Taking Giroud out of that today and we had no physicality outside our two centre halfs. Barkley bullied Arteta today consistently through strength and skill.

I think it was more skill he got the better of arteta.

We used to constantly get bullied for years but were well able to give it back nowadays.

I think it was more skill he got the better of arteta.

We used to constantly get bullied for years but were well able to give it back nowadays.

What kind of set up do ye reckon we should go to City with?

What kind of set up do ye reckon we should go to City with?

Flamini and arteta sitting in front of the back four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Flamini and arteta sitting in front of the back four.
    That would involve dropping Ramsey?

Ramsey Flamini
    Walcott Ozil Rosicky
    Giroud

For me, with Santi and Jack off the bench.

That would involve dropping Ramsey?

Ramsey Flamini
    Walcott Ozil Rosicky
    Giroud

For me, with Santi and Jack off the bench.
    Wouldn't have to drop Ramsey, oz can play on the wing too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

controversial here but i would start podolski or monreal on the left wing

1460291_437293306372750_1145262378_n.jpg

On a slight sidenote, I loved Szczesny's reaction when the goal went in - our goal obviously :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    controversial here but i would start podolski or monreal on the left wing

Podolski will be lucky to be on the bench on Wednesday. And he won't start a game untill he's been off the bench a few times. I wouldn't disagree with Monreal though. I'd leave Ozil and Ramsey on the bench. Depending on the phyisical condition of Mert and Kos I would rest one of them and bring Vermaelen in too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

1460291_437293306372750_1145262378_n.jpg

On a slight sidenote, I loved Szczesny's reaction when the goal went in - out goal obviously :P

I didn't like his reaction when the ball went in over his head though.
    But Jaysus Gibbs should have prevented the shot. He fell asleep.

Thought Monreal was great last week but suppose can't drop Gibbs.

• Advertisement

To be fair though it was a swerving shot with massive power behind it - if that was Rambo that scored it, we'd be all saying 3 goalkeepers on the line wouldn't have stopped it. One of those shots, but he never should have got the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i would've said 5 points out of these three league games would've been quite good, that's still achievable. 4 would be decent enough too

the city game is going to be a bastard, very little turn around after napoli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If we're only getting beaten by rediculous strikes and headers that come off someone's arm and loop over the keeper, then we'll be fine.

Last silly goal I remember conceding was when Dortmund beat us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Didnt want to post straight after the game as my emotions were running high but have calmed down since and must say I think Everton are the best side we have faced all season in the league, they will take points off the top teams no doubt about that. Although we should be winning our home games a draw isnt the end of the world. Martinez has them playing without any fear so the will go to the likes of Chelsea and City and have a right go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i would've said 5 points out of these three league games would've been quite good, that's still achievable. 4 would be decent enough too

the city game is going to be a bastard, very little turn around after napoli

It's hoping to be a job containing them, let alone us scoring. Let's hope they have an off day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    It's hoping to be a job containing them, let alone us scoring. Let's hope they have an off day.

Aguero and co will be properly rested as well. Pelligrini has said that he will be a second string side against Bayern Munich.

Jenkinson did well for us today but Sagna provides a little more solidity and I hope he's back for next Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 13 (8)
    Giroud 10 (7)
    Ozil 5 (4)
    Wilshere 4 (2)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Bendtner 1 (1)
    Flamini 1 (1)
    Cazorla 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Mertesacker 1 (1)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

AFC Academy ‏@AFCAcademy 8m
    The Ivory Coast have made enquiries about Gnabry and hope he will choose them instead of Germany, as they can promise a place in the WC.

AFC Academy ‏@AFCAcademy 6m
    Even though Low and Germany have admitted they are keeping an eye on Gnabry and may include him in their WC squad.

This lad could really have a great career ahead of him, and maybe feature in an all German Arsenal midfield someday. :p

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Didnt want to post straight after the game as my emotions were running high but have calmed down since and must say I think Everton are the best side we have faced all season in the league, they will take points off the top teams no doubt about that. Although we should be winning our home games a draw isnt the end of the world. Martinez has them playing without any fear so the will go to the likes of Chelsea and City and have a right go.

Probably a lesson to us all!!:)

My reaction afterwards was to be happy with a point. I got out of the house for a while, had plenty of distractions and came back and turned on Sky Sports News. Watched their highlights and despite all Everton's impressive play the only thing they could show of Everton in the first half was Mirallas firing over from outside the box - massive credit to our defence.

In same period Howard made 3 good saves and we feel we were poor. Second half much more balanced.

Still feel glad about the point. I think sometimes we look at a fixture list and we say that should be a win, win, draw, win, win, loss and while it's good fun and we think we know what we are talking about, it's utterly pointless!!

We must take these as they come and analyse it in their context. Ya - most of us at the start of the season probably would have put this one down in the win column. And for that reason I think we deem this 2 points dropped. Added to the fact we had an opportunity to go 7 clear.

However we played a team that have lost one game all season, are on a great streak and won at the home of the Champions for the first time in 20 years 4 days ago. Maybe that's the context we should look at this game rather than our preconceived notions that we are better than them on paper and in our records over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Remaining League Fixtures:

City (a)
    Chelsea (h)

West Ham (a)
    Newcastle (a)
    Cardiff (h)
    Villa (a)
    Fulham (h)
    Southampton (a)
    Palace (h)

Liverpool (a)
    Utd (h)

Sunderland (a)
    Stoke (a)
    Swansea (h)

Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    City (h)

Everton (a)
    West Ham (h)
    Hull (a)
    Newcastle (h)
    West Brom (a)
    Norwich (h)

I've underlined games i feel Arsenal will get the 3 points easily (my opinion obviously). In bold are the 2 pivotal sequences in the season.

Clearly there are 4 bankers in the next 9 games. Every other game is difficult to varying degrees. But it lessens the pressure on the City & Chelsea sequences where they are positioned in the fixture list.

The first set of ties is followed by a favourable sequence.
    The return set of ties is followed by a 6 game run to the line which Arsenal could easily take maximum points for.

Even though the pundits seem to point to Arsenal not playing the big clubs much, if you analyse WHEN they play the big sides, there is less pressure on those games than normal given their positioning in the fixture list.

Even the liverpool/Utd back to back is followed by a very makeable 9 points.

At the end of the day if the Gunners get through the next 2 fixtures with 3 points minimum from the 6 they're well set to be top of table well into February let alone the new year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement