Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Why is he bitter? He just says he doesn't think we'll win the league. Lots of people share that opinion, including many arsenal fans like myself.

Since he left us, he hasn't said many nice words about us (still reeling about wenger selling him). I too have my reservation's about Arsenal not winning the league but it doesn't mean that I always belittle them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

He's an employee of Manchester City. He's hardly gonna come out and give Arsenal any kind of encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Just checked the Champions League fixtures for tonight! Spurs aren't playing! They must be on tomorrow! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I would love to win the league. I just feel that we are still missing ingredients for a team that can do that, whether that be more physical presence or upfront in attack, I am not sure. We still need a few hard men in the squad to shout and cajole the rest of the team. I just thought we were lacking that drive on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Since he left us, he hasn't said many nice words about us (still reeling about wenger selling him.

Doubt that, he was agitating a move for years before he finally left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

kellso81 wrote: »

Agreed, he used to flirt with it every summer with Real. But, that year it was apparenty Arsene Wenger who initiated the transfer and sold him to Juve without asking him, that's why he is bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

kellso81 wrote: »

Ye, I loved Vieira as a player when he was playing with us. Selling him when we did was the right decision though, as it gave Fabregas the chance to prove just how good he was. I remember when we drew Juventus in the Champions League that year just after Vieira had joined them. Think we beat them 3-1 at Highbury, with Fabregas outshining him from start to finish.

The fact he's saying he doesn't fancy us for the league should come as no great surprise as he's now working for City who are a direct rival for us this year.

I hope Walcott starts tomorrow night against Napoli. Benitez is a master in the Champions League, proven himself tactically astute, but if Napoli are chasing the game trying to beat us by three clear goals, that could leave a lot of space for the counter attack, something which I think could allow Walcott a lot of joy in behind them. We have to score against them, to make the game safe as I'd be fairly surprised if Napoli didn't attempt to throw the kitchen sink at us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was thinking after the match on Sunday. If we bought new striker, the likes of Aguero or Suarez, do you think they could fit into the team as is or would we have to change the formation?

I suppose this comes from people criticising Giroud's performances, but especially on Sunday. He is probably one of our most valuable players at the moment, but we don't exactly make the best of what he has to offer, crosses are usually slow coming into the box or are a rarity and others don't seem to play off him as best as they could.

If we signed Aguero/Suarez, I still think they would be fairly isolated up front, unless we changed formation and I don't think Wenger would be willing to do that.

Of course, the dream scenario would be Giroud and Suarez up front, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Was thinking after the match on Sunday. If we bought new striker, the likes of Aguero or Suarez, do you think they could fit into the team as is or would we have to change the formation?

I suppose this comes from people criticising Giroud's performances, but especially on Sunday. He is probably one of our most valuable players at the moment, but we don't exactly make the best of what he has to offer, crosses are usually slow coming into the box or are a rarity and others don't seem to play off him as best as they could.

If we signed Aguero/Suarez, I still think they would be fairly isolated up front, unless we changed formation and I don't think Wenger would be willing to do that.

Of course, the dream scenario would be Giroud and Suarez up front, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Giroud would really shine with a player like Suarez playing off him imo. I think it would even be worth experimenting with playing Theo and himself up front together. Unfortunately the reality is probably that Giroud would be relegated to the bench if we signed someone like the above (not that I'd be complaining really).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Ye, I loved Vieira as a player when he was playing with us. Selling him when we did was the right decision though, as it gave Fabregas the chance to prove just how good he was.

I've always wondered about this, I always felt letting Vieira go was a terrible decision (especially when Edu was also let leave in the same transfer window)

We could have faced into 05-06 with an embarrassment of riches in midfield; Ljungberg, Pires, Vieira, Gilberto, Edu, Fabregas, Flamini and Hleb. And Reyes. We've seen so far this season that there is no such thing as too many midfielders!

Paddy V still had a decent two or three years after he left, his main problem in those years was his injury rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Id be very surprised If Giroud doesn't start both games this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I've always wondered about this, I always felt letting Vieira go was a terrible decision (especially when Edu was also let leave in the same transfer window)

There was never a chance Vieira was going to sit on the bench and play second fiddle to anyone in the Arsenal team. He'd been actively looking to leave the previous two summers too. I think ultimately the right decision was made at the time. The one that really annoyed me was letting Gilberto leave. Ah well dark days, hopefully we'll continue on an upward spiral these days - thanks AVB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Could never understand letting Flamini gilberto and diarra go in the same window.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Could never understand letting Flamini gilberto and diarra go in the same window.

Yeah, and Diarra had only been with us a few months! Though I think that one was more a statement by Wenger saying you can put your head down, work hard and get into the team or you can go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Ive said it since day one giroud is not the kind of striker to pull something special out of the bag when needed he only plays well when the rest of the team.play well or when we have an easy win. I feel the midfield carries him in a way. Maybe im too critical and I do like his attitude and he seems a good bloke its just he is not good enough in my opinion, his goal tally would suggest he is a top striker but how many important goals or crackers has he scored?

I say start podolski upfront tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Ive said it since day one giroud is not the kind of striker to pull something special out of the bag when needed he only plays well when the rest of the team.play well or when we have an easy win. I feel the midfield carries him in a way. Maybe im too critical and I do like his attitude and he seems a good bloke its just he is not good enough in my opinion, his goal tally would suggest he is a top striker but how many important goals or crackers has he scored?

To be fair he was a couple of inches away from pulling off what would have been one of the greatest goals scored at the Emirates in a high pressure game that was one of the biggest of the season so far.

Thats borderline delusional imo. His finishing could improve and he's not at the level of Suarez & co but there's no way Podolski is a better option. After Rambo and Schez, Giroud has been our best player all season and has put in several MoM performances. The midfield don't carry him, he's one of the main reasons they can play the way they do because of his hold up play and the physicality he brings up front.

Its funny they way he gets criticised like this everytime we drop points.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thats borderline delusional imo. His finishing could improve and he's not at the level of Suarez & co but there's no way Podolski is a better option. After Rambo and Schez, Giroud has been our best player all season and has put in several MoM performances. The midfield don't carry him, he's one of the main reasons they can play the way they do because of his hold up play and the physicality he brings up front.

Its funny they way he gets criticised like this everytime we drop points.

This is what gets me as well. Just because we drop points we say its because we lack a top striker yet the last day you had: Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere, Ramsey, Gibbs and Jenkinson that caused us more concerns with their performance but again it's somehow Giroud's fault we didn't win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Giroud for me is a tap in merchant, I can't remember any great goals he's scored. He also slows our counter attack down and balls in behind are not an option with him.

Saying that, his hold up play is fantastic and he's a threat in the air.

He's definitely a better option up front than pod who has no hold up play.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There's no way Giroud has been one of our top 3 players this season.

If we signed a striker of Suarez or Aguero's calibre, Giroud would be on the bench, simple as that. Ozil is our #10 and he's not going to be moved out of there to accommodate Giroud and a formation change. Talk of changing the team's setup to get the best out of Giroud is crazy; we should be looking to get a striker who can get the best out of Ozil because he's wasted with Giroud. Giroud's a solid enough striker who offers useful qualities, but he doesn't have enough pace or movement. Save for Adebayor, he's the weakest main CF we've had under Wenger and I'm sure he'll be looking to replace him in the summer.

• Advertisement

Also it should be remembered that despite his class and brilliance Suarez is not by any means the complete finisher. He misses a lot of one on ones or 'easy' chances as many Liverpool and Ajax fans would tell us. He is a scorer of great goals which overshadows this at times.

Nothing more annoying when Giroud misses a chance than someone going Suarez would have scored that.

Could you imagine some of ye in here if Giroud missed the chance Suarez did at the Emirates???

If we signed a striker of Suarez or Aguero's calibre, Giroud would be on the bench, simple as that. Ozil is our #10 and he's not going to be moved out of there to accommodate Giroud and a formation change. Talk of changing the team's setup to get the best out of Giroud is crazy; we should be looking to get a striker who can get the best out of Ozil because he's wasted with Giroud. Giroud's a solid enough striker who offers useful qualities, but he doesn't have enough pace or movement. Save for Adebayor, he's the weakest main CF we've had under Wenger and I'm sure he'll be looking to replace him in the summer.

You are right on pace and wrong on movement.

Also Ozil has played on the left and the right for large large parts of our season. He is not our de facto #10 by any means although I think he should be.

I suspect the truckload of goals Suarez scores would soften the criticism.

You are right on pace and wrong on movement.

Also Ozil has played on the left and the right for large large parts of our season. He is not our de facto #10 by any means although I think he should be.
    He's only played on the flanks in the later stages of games that we've been looking to close out. He gets started centrally at every opportunity; he may like to drift wide but he is our 10, and rightly so.

We need someone who can offer an early outlet for Ozil (Giroud just doesn't offer a threat in behind)... do that and we'll rip teams apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's only played on the flanks in the later stages of games that we've been looking to close out. He gets started centrally at every opportunity; he may like to drift wide but he is our 10, and rightly so.

We need someone who can offer an early outlet for Ozil (Giroud just doesn't offer a threat in behind)... do that and we'll rip teams apart.
    And yet Ozil still manages to have more assists than anyone else in the league. Walcott's pace should more than compensate for Giroud's lack in this area.

I think the 3 of them playing together will be absolutely deadly.

And do you not think we would be much easier defended against then? This is the Premiership we are talking about. We need an aerial threat and hold up play as offered by Giroud given the people that play off him and our style.

As I have said before there are no arguments from me that Suarez/Aguero are on a different planet in terms of footballing ability but I think it's naive to think if we put one of them in our team that we would waltz to a title.

If that was the case Man City wouldn't be six points behind us.

I must say, I totally disagree with all of this. There has been times this season that Giroud has been absolutely vital for the team, winning every ball that is put his way, holding up the ball for others to get onto it and providing vital passes.

Giroud has to be judged by more than just his goals as well.

Think of most of the great passing moves that lead to goals this year and you will find that Giroud has been involved at least once. Any goal that came from a kickout almost certainly had Giroud at the start of it.

I also really like Podolski, but I don't think he is good enough to be up front on his own, or at least I don't think he is that type of player. However, out of all the players we have, I think he had Giroud would be the two who should play up front together if we ever do play that way, and I can't wait for him and Giroud to start playing together again.

On one hand you complain he doesn't score enough and on the other you say we shouldn't try to accommodate his style of play so he can score more?

In fairness, the only thing that has to be done to get him scoring more is to put in a few early crosses, something we started doing at the start of the season and then we reverted to camping on the oppositions 18 yard box and trying to pass it in to the net. It has worked so far, partly because of Giroud's passing in that area, but there is no reason we shouldn't just put in a few early crosses as well.

As for the weakest CF? Now I know you are pulling the piss. Ever heard of Chamackh or Jeffers?

We'd be much more difficult to play against with a Suarez or Aguero in Giroud's place. They might not offer his arse-into-centre half or jumping chest control but they don't need to, because their touch is so good that you can play it to feet, much more so than Giroud.

We're ahead of City because our defence has been way better than theirs and we've probably the best midfield too. Giroud remains the most obvious area for Wenger to improve on.

On one hand you complain he doesn't score enough and on the other you say we shouldn't try to accommodate his style of play so he can score more?

In fairness, the only thing that has to be done to get him scoring more is to put in a few early crosses, something we started doing at the start of the season and then we reverted to camping on the oppositions 18 yard box and trying to pass it in to the net. It has worked so far, partly because of Giroud's passing in that area, but there is no reason we shouldn't just put in a few early crosses as well.

As for the weakest CF? Now I know you are pulling the piss. Ever heard of Chamackh or Jeffers?
    Yeah, I'm opposed to turning us into a crossing team. You don't spend 42mill on the best 10 in the world and then limit him by building the team around a limited target man.

I said main CF, neither of those were ever that. Giroud, van Persie, Adebayor, Henry, Anelka, Wright.

• Advertisement

We'd be much more difficult to play against with a Suarez or Aguero in Giroud's place. They might not offer his arse-into-centre half or jumping chest control but they don't need to, because their touch is so good that you can play it to feet, much more so than Giroud.

We're ahead of City because our defence has been way better than theirs and we've probably the best midfield too. Giroud remains the most obvious area for Wenger to improve on.

But we often play a lot to Giroud's feet too?? He has very good technique. He assists a lot of our goals or assists assists for want of a better term. The only thing you can pull him up on is pace and a threat in behind. Just play Walcott.

The unique strengths Giroud brings the others we have named cant. He is also brilliant defensively and taking pressure off our defence and midfield as a hold up outlet.

Giroud is well off the likes the Suarez and a lot of other top level strikers in terms of technical ability. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. Hold up play is valuable but it's being over emphasised. You don't turn down an Henry because you've got a Kanu.

Walcott is also a very useful option but he's also a limited player in a lot of ways and isn't a suitable option at CF.

If we want to stay at the top we need to improve, because our rivals certainly will.

Giroud is well off the likes the Suarez and a lot of other top level strikers in terms of technical ability. I can't believe anyone would think otherwise. Hold up play is valuable but it's being over emphasised. You don't turn down an Henry because you've got a Kanu.

Walcott is also a very useful option but he's also a limited player in a lot of ways and isn't a suitable option at CF.

If we want to stay at the top we need to improve, because our rivals certainly will.

To be fair I don't think you will see many striker assists that were better than Giroud's for Wilshere and Ozil against Norwich. If it was Suarez it would be drooling stuff. Giroud gets the 'great touch for a big man' crap from other pundits like it's a surprise.

I agree we need to strengthen depth wise anyway.

Anyone that holds out great hopes for Podolski as our lone front man only needs to watch the last 3 games of last season to know it wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I do agree that next summer our main transfer target will be a striker. Giroud isn't a clinical finisher and crucially lacks pace. Hes a fine player and his work rate, link up play and physically make him a very good option playing up top on his own but there's better out there imo.

Also, If (and I hope this doesnt happen) Sagna leaves in the summer, Would people be happy with Coleman as a replacement. Excellent going forward, young, knows the premier league and plays in a team that play a similar style to Arsenals. Would be a fine replacement imo. Also be nice to have an Irishman in the team!

Yeah, I'm opposed to turning us into a crossing team. You don't spend 42mill on the best 10 in the world and then limit him by building the team around a limited target man.

I said main CF, neither of those were ever that. Giroud, van Persie, Adebayor, Henry, Anelka, Wright.

First of all, I never said we should be a "crossing team" or only put in crosses, I said we should also put in crosses as well as playing the way we already are.

Second, I never said we should build the team around Giroud but we should play to his strengths if we want him to score goals, i.e. if we had the fastest winger/CF in the world you would try to play early balls to him or use his speed for counter attacks, not use slow build up play.

Again, I am not saying we should only put in crosses, but when we have the likes of Sagna and to a lesser degree Jenkinson who can put in perfect crosses to someone who thrives on that kind of ball, it is stupid to not to take advantage of that.

First of all, I never said we should be a "crossing team" or only put in crosses, I said we should also put in crosses as well as playing the way we already are.

Second, I never said we should build the team around Giroud but we should play to his strengths if we want him to score goals, i.e. if we had the fastest winger/CF in the world you would try to play early balls to him or use his speed for counter attacks, not use slow build up play.

Again, I am not saying we should only put in crosses, but when we have the likes of Sagna and to a lesser degree Jenkinson who can put in perfect crosses to someone who thrives on that kind of ball, it is stupid to not to take advantage of that.

Sagna is quite a terrible crosser, has improved a small bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sagna is quite a terrible crosser, has improved a small bit.

Both our full backs and even some of our wingers have been poor at crossing. Our free kicks and corners rarely trouble a defence.
    Jenkinson's cross to Bendtner was good but I hope its not a once off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

With 2 assists (Hull and for Rambo's volley vs Sunderland) Jenkinson has more assists than Cazorla, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Sagna, Gibbs. I think the 1 each for Jack, Rosicky and Santi highlights just how good Ozil actually is, hes not getting rave reviews but he has more assists than those 3 combined..

AdamD wrote: »
    With 2 assists (Hull and for Rambo's volley vs Sunderland) Jenkinson has more assists than Cazorla, Rosicky, Wilshere, Arteta, Sagna, Gibbs. I think the 1 each for Jack, Rosicky and Santi highlights just how good Ozil actually is, hes not getting rave reviews but he has more assists than those 3 combined..

It's Santi Ive been most disappointed with this season. I wonder what the story is with him, why his form has dipped so much compared to last season? I thought that with Walcott coming back, Arsene was going to have some tough choices to make with first team selection, but Santi is making the decision an easy one.

• Advertisement

Both our full backs and even some of our wingers have been poor at crossing. Our free kicks and corners rarely trouble a defence.
    Jenkinson's cross to Bendtner was good but I hope its not a once off.

Ozil started like a train in terms of dead-ball assists - getting 3 against Stoke. It baffles me that when he doesn't take corners, free-kicks etc when he's on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Girouds' actually quite poor in the air attacking wise, not much point crossing it to him tbh.
    the low cutbacks where he gets in front of the defender at the near post is where he's most useful - if you want to call them crosses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Team news for tonight! No Aguero for City as they make seven changes from the Southampton game.

Bayern XI: Neuer, Dante, Thiago, Ribery, Mandzukic, Boateng, Gotze, Lahm, Muller, Alaba, Kroos

City XI: Hart, Kolarov, Lescott, Demichelis, Richards, Fernandinho, Garcia, Milner, Silva, Navas, Dzeko

greendom wrote: »
    It's Santi Ive been most disappointed with this season. I wonder what the story is with him, why his form has dipped so much compared to last season? I thought that with Walcott coming back, Arsene was going to have some tough choices to make with first team selection, but Santi is making the decision an easy one.

Think him not getting much of a break before the season might be a factor, he was with Spain in the confed cup for nearly a month then as soon as he came back he was injured, probably rushed back a little too quick.

I gave visions of him becoming the new arshavin!

Ah no I'm sure he will be back to his best soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

City's comeback - good or bad news for us?

On one hand coming from 2 down to beat the Champions of Europe could drive them on.

On the other hand, the effort involved in such an undertaking could tire them more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Galvasean wrote: »

On one hand coming from 2 down to beat the Champions of Europe could drive them on.

On the other hand, the effort involved in such an undertaking could tire them more?

They rested loads of players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Galvasean wrote: »

Definitely bad news. They had a 2nd string team playing. No Aguero, Toure, Nasri, Kompany, Negredo only came on late in the 2nd half, Silva was taken off. Don't think they'll be tired at all.

It'll give them a massive confidence boost. I was already fearing the worst even before tonight, but now :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

teams arsenal could face as

Winners
    Leverkusen
    Juve/Gala
    Olympiakos
    Basel/Schalke
    Zenit/Porto
    Barca/Milan/Ajax

Runners up
    Real Madrid
    PSG
    Bayern
    Basel/Schalke - Chelsea will likely win this group though & can't be drawn against them
    Atletico Madrid
    Barca/Milan/Ajax(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

The Arsenal lads are giving Mesut a bit of a doing over his jimmiejams on Twitter :P

BbKDkvaIYAAXyUD.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

batistuta9 wrote: »
    teams arsenal could face as

Winners
    Leverkusen
    Juve/Gala
    Olympiakos
    Basel/Schalke
    Zenit/Porto
    Barca/Milan/Ajax

Runners up
    Real Madrid
    PSG
    Bayern
    Basel/Schalke - Chelsea will likely win this group though & can't be drawn against them
    Atletico Madrid
    Barca/Milan/Ajax(?)

If Arsenal come 2nd, they'll probably play Barca.

If they come 1st, they'll probably still be drawn against Barca.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

cathalio11 wrote: »
    If Arsenal come 2nd, they'll probably play Barca.

If they come 1st, they'll probably still be drawn against Barca.

Barcelona will win their group and Arsenal will win our group; so, no.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement