Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

watching that keane vieira documentary tonight makes me wish we had someone like him or adams leading us now, that drive to just grab the game by the scruff of the neck if we were struggling, someone to protect the more technical players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Raf32 wrote: »
    watching that keane vieira documentary tonight makes me wish we had someone like him or adams leading us now, that drive to just grab the game by the scruff of the neck if we were struggling, someone to protect the more technical players.

flamini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Galvasean wrote: »
    City's comeback - good or bad news for us?

On one hand coming from 2 down to beat the Champions of Europe could drive them on.

On the other hand, the effort involved in such an undertaking could tire them more?

Disaster. I think I am level enough and try not to get too optimistic or pessimistic most of the time regarding Arsenal but I think irrelevant of who lined out for them tonight this is a massive result for City. I am fearful that this win will have as good as affect on them as the Munich win as it had on us. Not for Saturday but for the year ahead itself...

Always felt they doubted themselves because of the European results, etc. Think tonight kills that unfortunately.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    teams arsenal could face as

Winners
    Leverkusen
    Juve/Gala
    Olympiakos
    Basel/Schalke
    Zenit/Porto
    Barca/Milan/Ajax

Runners up
    Real Madrid
    PSG
    Bayern
    Basel/Schalke - Chelsea will likely win this group though & can't be drawn against them
    Atletico Madrid
    Barca/Milan/Ajax(?)

I think that outline puts to bed any posts that claim it's ok to finish 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Some of ye (I'm looking at you galvasean) might appreciate bill burr taking about his trip to the Emirates last weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think that outline puts to bed any posts that claim it's ok to finish 2nd.

i don't think it will, their viewpoint is that you've to face them sometime anyway.
    that's true but i think you're better going as far as possible as easily as possible, especially as they'll be a league game 3/4 day either side.

there's a chance the second round first leg will be midweek before stoke away & the second leg sandwiched between tottenham away & chelsea away - you hardly want one of the seeded teams for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Raf32 wrote: »

Was a great watch, made you miss those games when you compare to what we have today. Can't believe that it's close to only than 10 years ago, feels like light years away :o

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i don't think it will, their viewpoint is that you've to face them sometime anyway.
    that's true but i think you're better going as far as possible as easily as possible, especially as they'll be a league game 3/4 day either side.

there's a chance the second round first leg will be midweek before stoke away & the second leg sandwiched between tottenham away & chelsea away - you hardly want one of the seeded teams for that

Agreed. I just think mentally it would be best to win Second Round tie given our last couple of experiences and could be a great mental release. Also I know you have to play the top teams sometime but surely it might give us a better chance of doing so in a QF after overcoming a knockout tie in Europe for the first time in a while rather than face the usual tough opposition straight away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Absolutely loved the rivalry between you guys and us for ten years or so around the turn of the century - It's a pity that sort of rivalry has gone out of the game.

Wright v Schmeichel, Keane v Vieira, RVN v everyone :pac:

Just don't get that in football any more, and it's a crying shame!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Any idea of lineup for 2mrw? Strongest XI or tempting to rest a few for City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Shane St. wrote: »
    Any idea of lineup for 2mrw? Strongest XI or tempting to rest a few for City?

I'd rest a few. Giroud for sure. We cant afford to lose him with the games we have coming up.

For us to go out, Dortmund have to win AND we have to lose by at least three. Anything else and we go through. I personally dont think Napoli are good enough to beat us by three or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd rest a few. Giroud for sure. We cant afford to lose him with the games we have coming up.

For us to go out, Dortmund have to win AND we have to lose by at least three. Anything else and we go through. I personally dont think Napoli are good enough to beat us by three or more.

Napoli scored a lot of goals recently. I would be very careful...
    We cannot risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With the money involved in qualifying there's no way we're gonna put anything else out other than the full team.

I'd guess at

……Back 5
    … arteta flamini
    Ramsey ozil Santi
    …………giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'd personally take the gamble we have a good cushion and I think the city game is the bigger game

I'd rotate as much as I can

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

He'll go with a full team tonight, missing out on the last 16 would be a disaster and we've a good long rest before Chelsea.
    The city game is daunting.
    But if we lose it we still have lots of league games to make the points back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He'll go with a full team tonight, missing out on the last 16 would be a disaster and we've a good long rest before Chelsea.

No Ramsey or Ozil tonight for me. Rosicky and Walcott to replace them.

greendom wrote: »
    No Ramsey or Ozil tonight for me. Rosicky and Walcott to replace them.

I wouldn't have any issues with that selection, but I'd be surprised if Wenger went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

bad2dabone wrote: »

Imagine if we beat city though

• Advertisement

Delish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

We can beat them. If they come to play and we play as we can we will win it. Confident our mid will hurt them. Sagna back would be a major plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

You just got me so excited at the thought of that, it hadn't once came into my head, maybe its time to believe we can beat the big teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'd imagine Rosicky, Flamini and Monreal will definetly come in tonight. I'd play Walcott aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Scoring the first goal would kill Napoli tonight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The City game is going to be all about attitude. We know that City can be beaten and have been by teams not necessarily up to our standard. Our defence needs to have the type of game that they have put in for the last few months and we need to be clinical up front.

Even against Everton we had 3 or 4 clear chances - we are making opportunities. Against the top teams we need to convert them. We have seen that we can cope with a team like Everton who can play football and retain the ball.

The team has a big game in them and I feel someone will be thrashed by 4 or 5 - here's hoping it's this weekend.

For me it's important that we dont lose either of the next 2 games. Do that and we'll be in a great position - especially if Liverpool, Everton etc dont winboth of theirs

• Advertisement

I think Wengers comments clears up the side he is going to play tonight.

He says this is the defining game not the next two league ones. Don't necessarily agree but Im not managing. 2 changes max I would say.

i cant believe the match is on BT sport! shocking.

anyways i am goiing to miss it anyway as i am going to do a photo shoot with a female model...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

anyways i am goiing to miss it anyway as i am going to do a photo shoot with a female model...

Is it on any terrestrial channel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Need to sort out your priorities !!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The photo shoot or the match?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

lol nvm. thought you were on about tonight's game

Need to sort out your priorities !!

Doing a photo shoot with a nice Female Model vs watching city spank us?

ummm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

All Mums are nice :)

lol i shall post the results of the shoot once im done. Well may need to contain a spoiler on it with a NFTW tag :)

We'll see how it goes though. Should be fun.

Back on topic, will sky show extended highlights? if yes then i will lock off my phone so i dont know the score till i watch it!

Which match?

The Napoli one is on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Man City - it's on Bt Sport on sat (Yus!)

maximoose wrote: »
    Man City - it's on Bt Sport on sat (Yus!)

Yeah, I subscribed to this month for €1.

I got it free for 2 months with UPC, but it's only €16p/m after that so I'll be keeping it

Despite their crap commentators, I like their coverage. And the Serie A/Ligue 1 matches are great

Which match?

The Napoli one is on RTE.

city game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

maximoose wrote: »
    I got it free for 2 months with UPC, but it's only €16p/m after that so I'll be keeping it

Despite their crap commentators, I like their coverage. And the Serie A/Ligue 1 matches are great

How'd you get it for free for the two months?

• Advertisement

Just a promotion at the end of Oct, appears to be over though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Doing a photo shoot with a nice Female Model vs watching city spank us?

ummm :D

What type of fan are you saying city are goina 'spank' us? wtf

Will be incredibly pi**ed off if we don't top the group. Looking at those 2nd seeds we would have a great chance.

This may be the silliest thing Il ever post but I have a weird inkling Marseille might grab a draw tonight. Dortmund missing a few and Marseille sacked the manager. If the PL is anything to go by they'll perform to some extent.

Ps. Feel free to quote this later when Dortmund win 6-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Will be incredibly pi**ed off if we don't top the group. Looking at those 2nd seeds we would have a great chance.

This may be the silliest thing Il ever post but I have a weird inkling Marseille might grab a draw tonight Dortmund missing a few and Marseille sacked the manager. If the PL is anything to go by they'll perform to some extent.

Marseille will be smarting that they have no points in the CL so far and will be desperate to put it right in front of their own fans. Throw in the new manager factor as you mention and anything can happen.

Come on L'OM!

jonny666 wrote: »
    What type of fan are you saying city are goina 'spank' us? wtf

calm down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Anything can happen tonight. Who would expect Mcity to go back from 2-0???
    I wouldn't take any risk tonight - fully fit squad, and adjust if the score is right (2-0 would do)...
    No need to mess things up just because we go to City this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't think we will see many changes tonight at all. Might see Monreal on for Gibbs and maybe Rosicky for Cazorla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

This may be the silliest thing Il ever post but I have a weird inkling Marseille might grab a draw tonight. Dortmund missing a few and Marseille sacked the manager. If the PL is anything to go by they'll perform to some extent.

Dortmund U 19's lost 0-3 to Marseille , Arsenal U19's lost 1-2 to Napoli,
    but gunners still topped the group, I would take that score line for the seniors too.

but we should have enough to beat them if not atleast a draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Anyone know if I'll be able to view the game on RTE player? In work tonight and since it's not on sky my sky go will be of no use to me :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://www.aertv.ie/#rte-two

Much better then RTE player imo. No HD but oh well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement