Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Don't think we should rule ourselves out right now, if we're still in the mix in January I'd expect Wenger to sign and also a lot of interest in joining Arsenal.

Ambitious but I don't think we should settle just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Corners and free kicks getting past the first man, we wont know ourselves.
    His first touch...!!!! Its like he has velcro on his feet sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Paulegend wrote: »
    second most assists last season. also same as messi and 2 more than his next madrid counter part benze

Last season in all competitions.

Ozil:

Played - 60
    Goals - 15
    Assists - 29

Iniesta:

Played - 64
    Goals - 6
    Assists 26

Messi:

Played - 54
    Goals - 64
    Assists - 20

Glad Madrid let go such a washed up talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ozil is world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world worldworld world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world world class.

Over the moon we got him

Walcott will still be on free kicks duty, don't you worry

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    So it looks like to counteract the positive Ozil news, we're stuck with Bendtner.

I'm not a fan of the guy but he's got some talent hidden somewhere behind the lack of application and massive ego.

If the unthinkable happens and Giroud picks up an injury, you'd hope he'd at least see any inclusion he gets as the huge good fortune it would be and the final chance he'd get to carve out some form of a high level career for himself before leaving.

I mean Crystal Palace is his level now. If he gets a chance to be in the shop window with Ozil, Walcott and Cazorla supplying him, you'd hope he'd see the opportunity for what it is.

Didn't bendtner just have surgery or something? Anyone know how long he's out for?

Would to expect Giroud and a few others to be rested against West Brom in the Capitol one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

TheGunns wrote: »
    Walcott will still be on free kicks duty, don't you worry

Really?
    Do you reckon?

Really?
    Do you reckon?

I hope not, but I mean he already gets to take some instead of Cazorla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

naughtb4 wrote: »
    50m for any footballer is insane, £35m for Andy Carroll is depression :(

As i said, im looking forward to him playing. Hes on a level with Mata, and he will do well

you must be very disappointed then that Liverpool kept Suarez. If no player is worth that much, you would have got a great deal selling him to Arsenal. Didn't see any Liverpool fans on here encouraging a bid of 50m because 50m for any footballer is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Delighted with Ozil, really puts down a marker. You can't underestimate the impact that working with AW and the influence of Podolski and Mertesacker would have in attracting players. Certainly with regard to the former, he's not the first player to have dropped the working with AW as being a huge draw. I don't think many in England are aware of the regard he's held in over in France in particular too. Kudos to the English media for concocting some kind of Basil Fawlty caricature of the man.

That being said... once we let the euphoria of this settle down you have to look at the window objectively and say its not been a success. I get that AW wants players the quality of Ozil and that takes time but we really have to be better at it than we are currently. We're relying on Giroud to keep his form and stay fit for the next 4 months; that's about 25 games he's going to have to play before we can even countenance getting in back up.

I really hope the ineptitude of this window bears consequences and that we go into January with all our ducks in a row and get business done quickly. We're a striker, a winger and probably a centre half light at the moment. We're essentially hoping that Gnabry can fill the Gervinho breach and that Sagna can operate as our emergency CB. We really lack cover for Per - a player that can play in a similar style to him so we can partner either Koscielny or TV with him. Suarez would be ideal as he can cover the flanks but we'll see what happens.

To end on a positive note; hopefully this is the start of something big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ozil is the best CAM in world football and has been the last 3 years, better than Iniesta, Mata, Silva etc. Anybody who says he had a bad season last year should put a nappy on there mouth, he was brilliant for Madrid playing 52 times in all competitions. Madness signing Bale and getting rid of a better player that is Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Ozil is the best CAM in world football and has been the last 3 years, better than Iniesta, Mata, Silva etc. Anybody who says he had a bad season last year should put a nappy on there mouth, he was brilliant for Madrid playing 52 times in all competitions. Madness signing Bale and getting rid of a better player that is Ozil.

It's not about football unfortunately, a small googley eyed German with Turkish background is never going to be as marketable as a clean cut English lad. Real will more than earn their fee back from Bale with their off the field marketing and sponsorship, plus the ridiculous world record fee is really nothing more than a marketing ploy, and it's working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cson wrote: »
    Delighted with Ozil, really puts down a marker. You can't underestimate the impact that working with AW and the influence of Podolski and Mertesacker would have in attracting players. Certainly with regard to the former, he's not the first player to have dropped the working with AW as being a huge draw. I don't think many in England are aware of the regard he's held in over in France in particular too. Kudos to the English media for concocting some kind of Basil Fawlty caricature of the man.

That being said... once we let the euphoria of this settle down you have to look at the window objectively and say its not been a success. I get that AW wants players the quality of Ozil and that takes time but we really have to be better at it than we are currently. We're relying on Giroud to keep his form and stay fit for the next 4 months; that's about 25 games he's going to have to play before we can even countenance getting in back up.

I really hope the ineptitude of this window bears consequences and that we go into January with all our ducks in a row and get business done quickly. We're a striker, a winger and probably a centre half light at the moment. We're essentially hoping that Gnabry can fill the Gervinho breach and that Sagna can operate as our emergency CB. We really lack cover for Per - a player that can play in a similar style to him so we can partner either Koscielny or TV with him. Suarez would be ideal as he can cover the flanks but we'll see what happens.

To end on a positive note; hopefully this is the start of something big.

This. The cynic in me sees the announcement of Ozil at 10:30 as a distraction from the disappointment of another missed opportunity. There's no real excuse for not buying a striker. I was hoping that after this window we wouldnt be holding our breath when Giroud of Mert ship a heavy tackle, but thats not to be. We just have to hope our striker doesnt lose form or get iinjured, otherwise it could be all over by January.

jester77 wrote: »
    It's not about football unfortunately, a small googley eyed German with Turkish background is never going to be as marketable as a clean cut English lad. Real will more than earn their fee back from Bale with their off the field marketing and sponsorship, plus the ridiculous world record fee is really nothing more than a marketing ploy, and it's working.
    Why talk about Beckham? That was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

can arsenal win the league though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Based on other squads/form so far this season I do not see why we won't be up there.

We need Giroud fit and in form.

Ozil has put the cat amongst the pigeons if you ask me. We have basically replaced fabregas, with a better player.

Why talk about Beckham? That was years ago.

You could say it is Beckham v2, although I don't think Bale will be that successful, he doesn't have the trophy popstar wife. A lot of people would never have heard of Bale before last week, he is now on most back pages world wide!

You could say it is Beckham v2, although I don't think Bale will be that successful, he doesn't have the trophy popstar wife. A lot of people would never have heard of Bale before last week, he is now on most back pages world wide!

Sorry I thought you were talking about Beckham since Bale isn't English.

I think we will be closer than last year and are more than capable of 3rd spot. Can't see us getting any higher unless City or Chelsea implode at some stage. We will fade off in Feb/Mar when all the cup games start coming fast and hard, our squad is not big enough to compete in all competions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

golfball37 wrote: »
    Madrid wouldn't be getting rid of Ozil if he was all that. He has gone down hill in in a big way the last year. I hope he finds himself again in London as he is a super player when in full flight, as good as Mata or Silva.

Yeah because Madrid selling Makelele, Robben and many others were smart decisions too.

I'd have thought everyone with even a slight knowledge of football would know Madrid are a few sandwiches short of a picnic when it comes to making smart decisions.

Arsenal have signed an incredible player. I'm insanely jealous while my own pitiful excuse for a club didn't spend a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

:)

ozil_poldi.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

encouraging that Podolski's leg doesn't appear to be strapped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Beginning to love Poldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

cson wrote: »
    Beginning to love Poldi.

Talk of selling him earlier in the window was madness I thought. He seems like a big character in the dressing room. Him and Ozil (fcuking Ozil OMG) have a good understanding on the national team apparently and play well together

Podolski is out for at least the rest of the year with a torn muscle :(

Feck - that photo had my hopes up

greendom wrote: »
    Feck - that photo had my hopes up

Daily Mail are running it now, German medical team diagnosed it as more serious than the Arsenal medical team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not sure that type of injury would result in that type of layoff

Edit: Just realised it's calendar year and not football year i.e. May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Out for 3 months i thought. So an early December return could be on the cards

wawaman wrote: »
    Out for 3 months i thought. So an early December return could be on the cards

Well the German FA have assessed the injury and put the return date further back.

• Advertisement

Well the German FA have assessed the injury and put the return date further back.

Probably being cautious with the World Cup in mind

German medical team diagnosed it as more serious than the Arsenal medical team.

Sounds about right. :rolleyes:

Grand so, Walcott only back-up for Giroud now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I think, especially with the likes of Ozil coming in, that our potential acquisdtions next year will be even better. The likes of Grenier, who will have an extra year under his belt, could be bought next year, having signed a new contract as he stated he did not want to leave on a free. If we got him next year, he'd be 23, and we'd have a very good winger on our hands.

Then you look at some of our other failed acquistions, and think that next year, we should have a better chance to acquire them.
    Think of the likes of Ginter and Bender. Then imagine them adding to the existing team. Then get excited.

We would have a very strong German core then, along with two French intermationals, one of the best spanish players, and a genuinely exciting english midfield.

That's before we can even begin to imagine who might like to compliment Giroud up front.
    The future looks bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Only Walcott if Giroud gets injured. Cotton wool that lad now.

Ozil is a magician - any chance he could turn Bendtner into a forward ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If it wasn't for Poldi's injury i wouldn't have been too bothered about not nabbing a striker yesterday.

I presume Ozil (!!) can play out wide if we have to play Theo up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If it wasn't for Poldi's injury i wouldn't have been too bothered about not nabbing a striker yesterday.

I presume Ozil (!!) can play out wide if we have to play Theo up front?

I'm thinking that's the plan myself. One of the problems I found with moving Theo to the front was that we didn't have as good as a replacement for him on the wings in his place. This is especially the case now that Poldi is out. So think the best plan of action in those case is to have Ozil on the one wing supplying him if needs be.

Ozil is a magician - any chance he could turn Bendtner into a forward ?

There is a player in there somewhere. He really needs to work this season if he wants to make it a decent level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud has had 6 injury days since 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Wales isn't a country! Is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

That's not too bad. Not too much difference between 10 and 12 weeks.
    Does anyone have any idea when Chamberlain is expected back?

Why not mate, apart from Chelsea and the Mourinho factor I havent seen many better teams than us in the league this season. Remember we have only 1 defeat in the last 17 league games.

Depends on who you ask, most foreigners are only familiar with the union jack.

Worst tv advert ever haha :D

• Advertisement

Depends on who you ask, most foreigners are only familiar with the union jack.

Wooooooosh!

Ozil and Cazorla both playing wide would be ****ing ridiculous. And not in a good way.

Wooooooosh!

I take it from the last post, it is from some TV ad? I haven't lived in Ireland or the UK in 15 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ozil and Cazorla both playing wide would be ****ing ridiculous. And not in a good way.

It could work but requires a lot of interchanging between the 3 players behind the striker. Chelsea did it brilliantly on the first day of the season with 3 CAM players. Would probably be safer to just use the width and pace of Gnabry or Ryo though if it came down to it.

Can't imagine Rosicky would be better than either of them out wide though. Cazorla is essentially our left winger (wasn't that his position for malaga anyway?) now that we've got Ozil and Podolski and Oxo are injured. We've only one natural wide player in the squad in Walcott, and he's also our main back up striker.

Might be nearly better to just give Sanogo a shot or play Bendtner when he's fit rather than play our best players out of position.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement