Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

RasTa wrote: »
    Over two legs?

We're certainly capable. As mert said we were giving 10% less. I don't think we're going to be CL contenders, but we've no reason to fear anybody. We've nothing to lose.

I'm annoyed we didn't give ourselves the best chance by getting the win or draw. But it is what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Over two legs?

They weren't playing over 2 legs so that argument is moot. Unless you only conside league winners winmers if they beat all opposition over two legs.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Is the draw on Friday? If so, what time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Arteta is no turkey

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

What?

no harm, no fowl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Neeson wrote: »
    Is the draw on Friday? If so, what time?

Monday morning I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Really don't think Walcott would have made a difference tonight. The only time Giroud seemed to touch the ball was when he won it himself and they were the only times we seemed to be able to attack.

Jenkinson was awful tonight, looks like he has no confidence. I don't know hat Arteta was doing for the second yellow. A nothing ball, in their half. Even if yer man had won the ball he wasn't going anywhere fast. Utter stupidity.

Ref was poor throughout. Giroud was being held every Arsenal kickout and was just being generally fouled everytime he went near the ball, but so was everyone else when we went into their half.

I'm very disappointed overall. It wasn't that we never looked like scoring, it was more like we weren't interested in scoring. Besides Jenkinson's failed crosses, I don't think anyone else was even trying to put a ball into the box. Everytime we seemed to get into their half, someone managed to give the ball away cheaply, and unusually at the moment a lot of that seems to be from Arteta. Rosciky is prone to that as well, not very often but I've noticed it a few times in the last few games and it's usually the simple passes.

Gutted that we are second again. Fully expect to get Barca in the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Aretha: 2 fouls, 2 yellow cards, sent off.
    Behrami: 6 fouls, no card.

Seems fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Still furious over Walcott not coming on. Thats the most negative I have ever seen a Wenger team play.

no harm, no fowl

What are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The bench tonight was Fabianski, Vermaelen, Monreal, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Bendtner with Podolski and Chamberlain to come back from injury. You'd call that thin would you?

Yeah, don't see any defensive or striking cover. MF is fine

I would also class the teams you could now face higher then Dortmund and Napoli, not saying you won't go through but wouldn't be overly confident. Maybe against PSG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What?

image.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Disappointing tonight but we need to take a step back and realise that many thought quallification was beyond us when the draw was made for the group stage.

Favourite moment from tonight was when Kos brought the ball out from defence skinning a couple of Napoli players in the process. It was delightful but you expect more from an Arsenal side.

What are you on about?

Nothing nothing, don't mind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal will play either:
    Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or Barcelona

Ah lads

image.png

Right whatever, has it resorted to having a go at my spelling?

Why can't people just stick to a football conversation.

Pretty pathetic.

Hope the lads can pick it up for city now. It's a must not lose game, but they're in great form and we're a bit off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So what do we think our line up will be against Barcelona?

:(

Nothing nothing, don't mind me.

Hard not too when you keep responding to my posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

AdamD wrote: »

Ah lads

All very beatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Pretty pathetic.

It's just a joke, no need to take it personally.

Pretty pathetic.

Think the lads are just joking about

Hard not too when you keep responding to my posts.

Relax dude, it was just a joke.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Think the lads are just joking about

Pointing out I spelled foul wrong.

Its fairly annoying to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Yeah, don't see any defensive or striking cover. MF is fine

I would also class the teams you could now face higher then Dortmund and Napoli, not saying you won't go through but wouldn't be overly confident. Maybe against PSG

Are you blind? Do vermaelen and Monreal not constitute defensive cover? The club captain and a Spanish international. And podolski and Walcott are decent striking cover

• Advertisement

So what do we think our line up will be against Barcelona?

:(

Barca whilst still being a top side aren't the force they once were.

Nobody actually pointed it out.

Don't take things so personally. It lightens the mood after a defeat.

I apologise.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we went into this game with the wrong attitude if this quote from Mert is accurate --

Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker speaking to Sky Sports: "We were always on the back foot, we took a little break today I think but we will be back on Saturday. It's always the same, you give 10% less mentally because we knew we were through."

I think Wenger took a break tonight.

Need to get a bit of swagger back.

• Advertisement

Anyway.

Neville made a good point about citys full backs attacking and having Santi and jack on the wings.

Will push them right back like it did against Everton.

Be interesting to see the what Wenger goes for.

Are you blind? Do vermaelen and Monreal not constitute defensive cover? The club captain and a Spanish international. And podolski and Walcott are decent striking cover

Well judging from the reaction when he started the United game no, also one cb doesn't constitute cover. I don't rate Walcott as a striker and Podolski is usually always injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    All very beatable.

I wish I could share your confidence but I honestly cant see us beating Barca or Bayern over 2 legs no matter how well we play. Real we would have to be at our very best in both games o stand a chance. Psg and Athletico are beatable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I love how slip up in one game a game were we still qualified for the next round and we have one or two opposition fans coming in almost licking there lips on delight , just goes to show good we have been this season.

bring on the draw and any of those teams. Fcuk it we can beat any of them on our day. we have no one to fear we already bet one the best teams in Europe this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Didn't see the match tonight. Kinda glad now!

Do we need a better striker?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

keano_afc wrote: »
    Aretha: 2 fouls, 2 yellow cards, sent off.
    Behrami: 6 fouls, no card.

Seems fair.

Yeah because the number of fouls determines how many cards you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Well judging from the reaction when he started the United game no, also one cb doesn't constitute cover. I don't rate Walcott as a striker and Podolski is usually always injured.

This is the first big injury podolski has had that I can remember. . People were upset that mertesacker was out because of how good him and kos have been. And im not sure why you need more than one cb on the bench. Although another one would be useful to have in the squad in case of injury.

I love how slip up in one game a game were we still qualified for the next round and we have one or two opposition fans coming in almost licking there lips on delight , just goes to show good we have been this season.

I would have being here after we won at OT if that was the case, bury your hand in the sand all you want. The team looked tired tonight and yes I disagree that you will be able to beat any of those teams over 2 legs most of the time.

I think City will win on Saturday sadly, things will get interesting in here if it happens

jonny666 wrote: »
    Didn't see the match tonight. Kinda glad now!

Do we need a better striker?

Yes and no. Giroud had a decent game but his pace and dribbling let him down. If we want to be cl contenders yeah we need a striker from the very top drawer. They're few and far between.

Liverpool have one.

And the 2nd leg is away too.

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

AdamD wrote: »

Ah lads

Does it matter? If you are going to win it they will have to beat the best sides anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Obviously would have preferred to top the group but if we avoid Bayern, we're still in with a decent chance of making it to the last 8. Barca are not the same without a fully fit Messi and Real Madrid are still poor defensively. PSG and Atletico are beatable too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There will be at least two upsets in the 8 games of last 16.
    Mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Gutted with that result but your going to have to play the big boys eventually and if we cant beat them in the last 16, we cant beat them in the quarters, so better off to go out early and focus on the league, although id fancy us against a few of them bar Bayern or Real.

I would have being here after we won at OT if that was the case, bury your hand in the sand all you want. The team looked tired tonight and yes I disagree that you will be able to beat any of those teams over 2 legs most of the time.

I think City will win on Saturday sadly, things will get interesting in here if it happens

Fair enough, we still did well to get out of the hardest group in the tournament, I'm sure you figured we had no chance of doing that when the draw was announced. I'm also sure you never though arsenal would be 13 points clear of man utd at this stage, or that man utd would be in ninth. The longer folks keep underestimating this team the better.

City will probably beat us on Saturday, but they could also drop plenty of points elsewhere as they have done so far at grounds where such an expensive team would be expected to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Yes and no. Giroud had a decent game but his pace and dribbling let him down. If we want to be cl contenders yeah we need a striker from the very top drawer. They're few and far between.

Liverpool have one.

His lack of pace is a big thing for me. He has his good points but I'm starting to think if we wanna be serious contenders we need someone better. The problem is, who do we get. There isn't many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Does it matter? If you are going to win it they will have to beat the best sides anyways.

Of course it matters. I'd prefer to avoid the best teams for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I remember reading this thread after the group draw was made everyone pissing and moaning

I said then id rather that group than any other all quailty games

I log in today I see people moaning again about who we might get in the last 16

Again I say bring it on two brilliant ties too look forward too it's what the champions league is all about

If ya want handy European ties follow spuds and there shîtty Thursday nighs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

jonny666 wrote: »
    His lack of pace is a big thing for me. He has his good points but I'm starting to think if we wanna be serious contenders we need someone better. The problem is, who do we get. There isn't many

Walcott would have scored tonight, not saying hes the solution but hes definitely an option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

We may lose on Saturday - tonight was certainly not great preparation for a game in 2.5 days. We'll still be top if we do though and if we respond well to that game, like we did to the Man U loss, we shouldn't have too much to worry about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement