Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

greendom wrote: »
    We may lose on Saturday - tonight was certainly not great preparation for a game in 2.5 days. We'll still be top if we do though and if we respond well to that game, like we did to the Man U loss, we shouldn't have too much to worry about.
    Against Chelsea?

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Does it matter? If you are going to win it they will have to beat the best sides anyways.

Yes, before and after those midweek games we will have premier league games. The easier the tie the better it'll be on the squad's fitness and conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Against Chelsea?

Here's hoping.

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Winning the league is far more important to me than the CL anyhow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 447 ✭✭Pen.Island

Anyone else hear Tony Donohues spanish accent when saying Barcelona? :pac:

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »

Agree with this, not all that bothered about the result tonight in terms of champions league, but
    more afraid of it effecting our confidence in the league, have seen this nervous arsenal before, but lets hope its behind us Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we will take a trimming on Saturday against city we look tired

But we will bounce back and beat Chelsea 9 days later

Jack even if we lose on saturday, which I think is the most likely result, we're still out in front and have a nine day rest to sort ourselves out. I'm hoping for a good result vs chelsea.

Right slight change for Saturday

Scez
    Barcay. Mert. Kos. Monreal.
    Famini. Ramsey
    Walcott. Ozil. Wilshere
    Giroud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Arsenal getting really soft yellows tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Don't think you'll do it over the whole season. I still think top 4 would be a good achievement for Arsenal this season.

I fancy both Man City and Chelsea to finish one and two and Arsenal to fight off competition from Liverpool and Utd for 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He has been sent off twice already, gives fowls away in dangerous areas which puts us under pressure.
    Arteta is no turkey
    What?
    no harm, no fowl

2763338.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Right slight change for Saturday

Scez
    Barcay. Mert. Kos. Monreal.
    Famini. Ramsey
    Walcott. Ozil. Wilshere
    Giroud

Is he back?

K4t wrote: »
    Don't think you'll do it over the whole season. I still think top 4 would be a good achievement for Arsenal this season.

I fancy both Man City and Chelsea to finish one and two and Arsenal to fight off competition from Liverpool and Utd for 3rd.

United no chance for 3rd without some serious january investment.

I'd agree that chelsea and city are favourites for the title however. But with arsenal, pool, everton and even dare I say spurs currently strong and united, well, playing somewhat ****ely, I'd fear for uniteds top four status

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sagna back would be a big deal. Not sure Jenks is up to it yet.

I'd nearly rest Ozil. He looks wrecked. Cazorla i thought looked better on the ball tonight than recently.

Ozil's had a lot to deal with, faster game, no C.Ronaldo to play off.

Walcott has to play.

I see there is a few sensitive souls in here tonight

Don't dare mention a special team up the road or you might just find yourself banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I see there is a few sensitive souls in here tonight

Don't dare mention a special team up the road or you might just find yourself banned

They banned the Y word yet allowed a poster to have it in his username... only on boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

efb wrote: »
    They banned the Y word yet allowed a poster to have it in his username... only on boards...

eh ???????????????? whats that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

How did I have no idea we could finish second so easily? I was under the impression we either finished 1st or 3rd (if we lost by 3). Bit pissed off about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

For those you who missed Sky coverage tonight (with Henry), Neville goes through the importance of midfielders tracking back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdgJAuysirA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mickeroo wrote: »
    ****e performance, job done though. Think they deliberately approached the match to do the bare minimum and not knacker themselves for Saturday.

Job done:confused: An overstatement clearly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wonski wrote: »
    Job done:confused: An overstatement clearly.

No I don't think so. I meant job done irrespective of losing the match ie we're through to the last 16 and that's all that matters. I did also say it was a ****e performance did I not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No I don't think so. I meant job done irrespective of losing the match ie we're through to the last 16 and that's all that matters. I did also say it was a ****e performance did I not?

You did say it, I - as a fan - can't justify tonights performance and the result..
    All that matters now, but we couldn't make it look any worse. I just don't buy the preparation for Saturday thing;)
    Anything positive would be an overstatement, and going back few pages with people hoping to have reserves put out there to be ready for Saturday:confused:
    It was so close at the end.
    Not your fault anyway, I quoted you only because of the "job done" thing. I agree we agree on the lack of performane tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

The post 'we have to beat the best at some stage' comment should be banned from this thread!!

Yes we do but surely getting a win over a team in the Second Round would be a huge mental lift to the development of this team? Would that not give us the best chance of beating one of the best teams in the next stage??

Huge advantage in finishing first.

Worried for Saturday morning and you can accept Mert's comments yesterday but I think Wenger was very forceful yesterday that he saw Napoli as more important. That's what worries me.

Why no Walcott baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As a neutral I thought some Arsenal players looked absolutely shattered out there.

Giroud playing 90 minutes was utter insanity.

Honestly I don't really fancy Arsenal against any of those potential opponents. PSG maybe.

Giroud needs a break and you need some bodies in January. You're in a good position but it needs to be built upon.

Just don't buy Cabaye. Please. :(

Henry made an interesting point tonight. Said he would like to avoid a well drilled team like Athletico most.

Indicated a Real or Barca would not work as hard getting back and this Arsenal side would be more suited to playing one of the big two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Henry made an interesting point tonight. Said he would like to avoid a well drilled team like Athletico most.

Indicated a Real or Barca would not work as hard getting back and this Arsenal side would be more suited to playing one of the big two.

I think Atleti would beat Arsenal over two legs tbh.

So solid and tough to break down and deadly on the counter attack. Diego scoring goals for fun(19). I'd hate to play them over two legs.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I think Atleti would beat Arsenal over two legs tbh.

So solid and tough to break down and deadly on the counter attack. Diego scoring goals for fun(19). I'd hate to play them over two legs.

yep really wouldn't fancy them.

PSG for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Am I the only not surprised Walcott wasn't played tonight?

He is essentially our only other option as a striker at the moment, who has just returned from injury and we were playing a team who seemed more interested in kicking us than playing football.

Walcott isn't exactly the strongest on the ball either and I don't really think he would have got much service anyway. Besides, who knows what would have happened if we had been playing with 11 until the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That's a very frustrating 2nd 45.

Shut it down! Made it so tough for ourselves next year regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's all set up for an Ozil return

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's all set up for an Ozil return

And a battle of the dragons.

I'll be very surprised if we don't get Real (at some stage)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It is written in the stars that its Real and tbh would rather them than another Barca or Munich perpetual honourable defeat.

Giourd looked shattered long before the final whistle. We need another forward just to give the poor guy a rest now and again. Ozil and Santi was dissapointing. Flamini was great in the first half but was quiet in the second. Needed some pace in the latter stages. We needed Walcott out there

Over the last 8 years the team has fallen short mentally and tactically.

There was signs of this again last night, which is worrying.

Beat city please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jesus, there's a miserable bunch in here.

We played for a 0-0 draw, barely committing anyone forward.

By the time they scored, we were still going through as group winners with 20 to go so we were hardly going to make loads of attacking substitutions and chase the game.

Arsenal know more than any other team, bar perhaps Liverpool how strange it is to just not need to lose a game badly.

Relax everyone.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

By the time they scored, we were still going through as group winners with 20 to go so we were hardly going to make loads of attacking substitutions and chase the game.

Arsenal know more than any other team, bar perhaps Liverpool how strange it is to just not need to lose a game badly.

Relax everyone.
    Well why did giroud play the 90 minutes if it didn't really matter? And ozil? Both players could have done with a break, even taking them off but Wenger didn't.

Anyway you're right were through which is the main thing, but winning breeds confidence, every player says that, so lets hope it hasn't knocked ours.

gosplan wrote: »

Relax everyone.

Very true, and everyone calling for Walcott in is a bit crazy, we under the cosh a bit and it would have let poor Jenks rightly exposed

This place will be unbearable if we're turned over the weekend even though we will still be top of the table

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bad result alright, there's no sugar coating it. Making the last 16 looks a lot more difficult than it should have been now. Frustrating considering they had done the hard work of getting the win in Dortmund.

We really, really need to buy another good forward as soon as the January window opens. We seriously lack players making vertical runs; too many playmakers and not enough goal scorers. Serious lack of pace in the side too. Makes Walcott's continued absence all the more baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

I've a funny feeling we'll get Barca again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Any news on transfers, the January transfer window opens in 2 1/2 weeks....
    Even someone decent as a forward on loan for a bit would add greatly to the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

cathalio11 wrote: »
    If Arsenal come 2nd, they'll probably play Barca.

If they come 1st, they'll probably still be drawn against Barca.
    Barcelona will win their group and Arsenal will win our group; so, no.

I'll happily have a game of poker with you someday, mate. :rolleyes:

In fairness it was the toughest group we've had in many years so qualification at the expense of Napoli is a result even if it is disappointing that we were so close to topping it.

We would have sauntered through in Chelsea or United's groups.

The performance itself was similar to Bayern's against us in the 2nd leg last year. Knowing all you have to do is not get hammered does funny things to even the very best teams.

Bit of perspective. A point on Saturday would be huge. 3 points off Chelsea at home remains the biggest fixture of the three for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Szczesny; Sagna (if he is fit), Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Flamini, Arteta; Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey; Giroud

Thats what i would play on saturday

Raf32 wrote: »
    Szczesny; Sagna (if he is fit), Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal; Flamini, Arteta; Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey; Giroud

Thats what i would play on saturday

I would leave him out and slot in Rosicky and let Ramsey sit deeper.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    In fairness it was the toughest group we've had in many years so qualification at the expense of Napoli is a result even if it is disappointing that we were so close to topping it.

The performance itself was similar to Bayern's against us in the 2nd leg last year. Knowing all you have to do is not get hammered does funny things to even the very best teams.

Bit of perspective. A point on Saturday would be huge. 3 points off Chelsea at home remains the biggest fixture of the three for me.

Thats actually quite true. I think it was mentally set up for the players to draw and just be compact at the back and midfield. Nick a goal if we could but not too pushed if it didn't happen.

I hope our mentality is more positive against city. If we go for it city will have a handful to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

2ndcoming wrote: »

Leverkusen are going significantly stronger than Dortmund in the German league, Shaktar are a step up from Napoli and even Sociedad would be a harder game than Marseille, doubt United group was easier.

Leverkusen are going significantly stronger than Dortmund in the German league, Shaktar are a step up from Napoli and even Sociedad would be a harder game than Marseille, doubt United group was easier.

Lol

Ah here. The times that we met them both they were doing very well. Laughable to say united's group was equal to ours in terms of the challenge to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

HazDanz wrote: »
    I would leave him out and slot in Rosicky and let Ramsey sit deeper.

thats the one area i doubted myself, either that or Jack

Raf32 wrote: »
    thats the one area i doubted myself, either that or Jack

Maybe Jack actually instead of Rosicky. He's been playing better lately maybe city game could be a catalyst for him to really push on with a good performance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement