Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Very true, and everyone calling for Walcott in is a bit crazy, we under the cosh a bit and it would have let poor Jenks rightly exposed

This place will be unbearable if we're turned over the weekend even though we will still be top of the table

Couldn't disagree with this any more. It was absolute madness that Walcott didn't start, nevermind get on the pitch. Napoli pressed incredibly highly and pretty much made it so that the entire game was between our goal and 5 yards into their half. They also were chasing a 3 goal victory, the game was made for Walcott. I couldn't make up a better scenario to have Theo Walcott on the pitch if I tried. That's not even including the fact that we didn't have a single winger on the pitch, but had Cazorla who has been incredibly poor recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Leverkusen are going significantly stronger than Dortmund in the German league, Shaktar are a step up from Napoli and even Sociedad would be a harder game than Marseille, doubt United group was easier.

This is the first thing that has made me laugh today........ thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Wouldn't mind seeing Spurs draw Napoli in the last 16 of the Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Leverkusen are going significantly stronger than Dortmund in the German league, Shaktar are a step up from Napoli and even Sociedad would be a harder game than Marseille, doubt United group was easier.

Thats the funniest post I've read in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The united fans are really showing themselves up the last few days on this forum. Must be giddy that they won a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Soups123 wrote: »
    This is the first thing that has made me laugh today........ thanks
    HazDanz wrote: »
    Ah here. The times that we met them both they were doing very well. Laughable to say united's group was equal to ours in terms of the challenge to qualify.
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Thats the funniest post I've read in ages.

Scoff all you like but on current form it's a harder group.

Leverkusen have drawn with munich and beat dortmund this year and are 6 points clear of dortmund in the league

Napoli are 3rd in a league where Juventus are top and they couldn't get out of a group with Galatasaray and Copenhagen.

Real Sociedad are 6th in a league that has pedigree far beyond that of the french league were Marseille are lying in 5th behind the likes of Lyon and Nantes and couldn't win a game in the group stages.

Laugh all you like but on form, United had the harder group, you can look at a team name and state how great they're based on that, fine that's your prerogative I have no issues with it.

The united fans are really showing themselves up the last few days on this forum. Must be giddy that they won a game.

No not at all, If i want another team to win the league it is Arsenal, I actually love watching Arsenal play, when you're on form you're the best passing team in the league and I enjoy passing football, I have great admiration for Arsenal and Wenger and the battles we had in years gone by with Keane and Viera.

I believe you have some fantastic players and even fringe players have stepped up big time for you this year, it's nothing to do with United v Arsenal, it's simply an opinion of mine that based on current and league standing Uniteds group was in no way a walk in the park, I'd consider it a shade tougher than Arsenals, again it's just an opinion and I've detailed why I believe this to be the case, run with it, don't run with it, I won't lose sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

No not at all, If i want another team to win the league it is Arsenal, I actually love watching Arsenal play, when you're on form you're the best passing team in the league and I enjoy passing football, I have great admiration for Arsenal and Wenger and the battles we had in years gone by with Keane and Viera.

I believe you have some fantastic players and even fringe players have stepped up big time for you this year, it's nothing to do with United v Arsenal, it's simply an opinion of mine that based on current and league standing Uniteds group was in no way a walk in the park, I'd consider it a shade tougher than Arsenals, again it's just an opinion and I've detailed why I believe this to be the case, run with it, don't run with it, I won't lose sleep.

To be honest. I was more referring to the attitudes of some of the other posters in the other threads, not necessarily yours. However I'd disagree with your point because I just think that Dortmund and Napoli are better teams than what United faced, although you make a reasonable argument re the league form of the teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

This gets my vote for most HILLARIOUS post of the year

• Advertisement

Leverkusen have drawn with munich and beat dortmund this year and are 6 points clear of dortmund in the league

Napoli are 3rd in a league where Juventus are top and they couldn't get out of a group with Galatasaray and Copenhagen.

Real Sociedad are 6th in a league that has pedigree far beyond that of the french league were Marseille are lying in 5th behind the likes of Lyon and Nantes and couldn't win a game in the group stages.

Laugh all you like but on form, United had the harder group, you can look at a team name and state how great they're based on that, fine that's your prerogative I have no issues with it.

League form is a nonsense argument this early in the season. Southampton and Newcastle are ahead of United atm, if they were in a group would they be considered as a tougher test than United? Of course not. Dortmund are better than Leverkusen and Napoli are better than any of the teams United played. I'll continue to scoff

We really need Sagna back for Saturday, Jenkinson is good back up but starting him against City is worrying, there is going to be periods where he will be under severe pressure and if he does start I would nearly start Jack in front of him for protection.

A lot of players need a good rest but hopefully they have big game in them before their break before Chelsea, if Sagna is back I would start Theo on the right to try and add a bit off pace, put Ozil in the middle just behind Giroud, he will be effective there with Theo making runs for him.

Ramsey and Flamini protecting the back four with Cazorla on the left.

I don't get some people being very fearful of City, I know they have great form at home but remember they are poor on the road so they are not all that excellent, I'm expecting a decent result from our lads this Saturday, so heads up we are top of the league looking down at all the others!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't think our group was harder however Dortmund are having a bad season in the league, 6 behind Leverkusen and 10 behind Munich.

In fact all the German teams have lost to an English in the CL

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

5 points clear in the league, and through to the last 16 of the CL. Why so negative!

ironkiwi wrote: »
    This gets my vote for most HILLARIOUS post of the year

I've backed up my opinion with reasonable extracts of league form and current form of all teams being discussed, instead of ensuing hilarity why not come back and refute your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

5 points clear in the league, and through to the last 16 of the CL. Why so negative!

The big doubt is setting in, in my mind at least. After Everton last Sunday and last night, I believe we are lacking that drive, sadly, that makes us contenders.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    League form is a nonsense argument this early in the season. Southampton and Newcastle are ahead of United atm, if they were in a group would they be considered as a tougher test than United? Of course not. Dortmund are better than Leverkusen and Napoli are better than any of the teams United played. I'll continue to scoff

There is nothing between the teams in my opinion, I simply used form to show where each were in their respective league giving an indication that if anything United had the harder of the groups.

I would have Shaktar ahead of Napoli any day of the week, Napoli since losing Cavani and gaining Higuain are not the same team.

I've backed up my opinion with reasonable extracts of league form and current form of all teams being discussed, instead of ensuing hilarity why not come back and refute your point.

Sorry I'm still laughing!!

Leverkusen mabe going well in the league but Chamoions League is a lot different from their domestic competition, so lets start off, Dortmund got to the Champions League final last season so their players knew what it takes and had the experience going into this years competition. That in itself had them better prepared than Leverkusen. Secondly did you see Leverkusen this year in the Champions League (I will presume you have), I have them down as one of the worst performers even they they qualified (I don't know how, just shows you how simple the group was) their two games against a very poor Utd they were nothing short of attrocious, so to say they are better than Dortmund currently is HILLARIOUS!

As for Shakhtar Donetsk being better than NAPOLI??? You must have looked at the teamsheet and saw a few Brazilians and thought "oh they must be good" Leverkusen beat them 4-0 that just shows you how bad they are and not how good Leverkusen are because they are not THAT good! Napoli have a lot of good players, they are not the best team in the world but better than the Ukranians.

Soceidad I would have better than Marseille, the French outfit are just poor plain and simple!

Sorry I still find your post hillarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Sorry I'm still laughing!!

so to say they are better than Dortmund currently is HILLARIOUS!

Firstly stop being so condensing, this season they are better then Dortmund having already beaten them away in the league and 6 points ahead.

Similar to how Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Southampton etc are playing better then United

RasTa wrote: »
    Firstly stop being so condensing, this season they are better then Dortmund having already beaten them away in the league and 6 points ahead.

Similar to how Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Southampton etc are playing better then United

Apologies if anyone takes offence to me having a giggle, it just brightened up my morning and I thought I would share that.

Yes Leverkusen are doing better in the league than Dortmund BUT Dortmund are the better team in the Champions League, they have that experience from the previous year, Arsenals group was tougher than Utds!!

I respect everyones opinion and I apologise if I offended anyone by finding it funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

, Napoli since losing Cavani and gaining Higuain are not the same team.

I know, They're better. Bringing in Higuain, Reina, Callejon & Mertens have made them more dangerous then when they had Lavezzi/Cavani.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well why did giroud play the 90 minutes if it didn't really matter? And ozil? Both players could have done with a break, even taking them off but Wenger didn't.

Anyway you're right were through which is the main thing, but winning breeds confidence, every player says that, so lets hope it hasn't knocked ours.

Giroud was our out ball for the entire night and one of our best at breaking up play as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ozil was rested against city.

Its only a harder group for United because they've been pretty **** this year. But come on trying to convince people its a harder group........

It was by far the toughest group from the outset (agreed globally) and it lived up to that with the 3 top teams taking 12 points each and one of those going out for the first time ever with 12. Dortmund and Napoli are excellent teams to suggest they are on par with Shaktar and Sociedad is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So are Utd fans saying that league form and CL form are the same??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I dunno was it the keane v Vieira program but something seems to have ignited the rivalry recently. Loving it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I love how this thread comes back to life after a bad result.
    I didn't watch the game as I was travelling, I'll take everyone's word that we played nothing.

From what I hear, my problem would be that we didn't rest enough of our main players.
    We shouldn't have played Giroud if we weren't that interested in scoring.
    Özil could do with a rest too, I think we need him on Saturday for his ability to hold the ball when needed.
    Someone made the point that Walcott was protected yesterday because of the Napoli players kicking a lot, and that's fair enough. Now I just wonder how we are going to throw him in in a game like Saturday's - I don't see it happening, he might play for 20-25 minutes.

I am really worried about the City game. I would very happily take a draw and I wouldn't mind losing with one goal if the players put on a good effort. I know I sound negative (and apologies for that), but I can't help it. Here's hoping that come the weekend, I will be able to celebrate a great result with all of you in here!!!

Whats worrying for me is how lethargic and toothless we've been in arguably our two biggest games this season. United didnt have to do an awful lot to beat us, and we just couldnt put 2 passes together against Napoli. Its annoying that critics still question our preformance when it matters but in part you can see where they're coming from.

Whats worrying for me is how lethargic and toothless we've been in arguably our two biggest games this season. United didnt have to do an awful lot to beat us, and we just couldnt put 2 passes together against Napoli. Its annoying that critics still question our preformance when it matters but in part you can see where they're coming from.

I wouldnt class last nights game as one of the two biggest. I think United yes, Everton, Dortmund away was huge.

Last night is always one of those stick or twist games and I think Arsene went for stick with his team selection, he knew 3-0 was needed and had the bench to change the approach if needed. It was a bad call but I think he played for the draw.

Getting through was the main point, potentially a tougher game but we just did a tough group and for me I'm happy to take as many big games that comes our way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

was we toothess when we beat dortmound away? beat liverpool and spurs at home?

btw i thanked your post as it brighten up my day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gosplan wrote: »
    Giroud was our out ball for the entire night and one of our best at breaking up play as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ozil was rested against city.

I don't see the point resting anybody now given that there is a 9 day gap to the Chelsea game - the biggest rest period any of these players will have got since summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I don't see the point resting anybody now given that there is a 9 day gap to the Chelsea game - the biggest rest period any of these players will have got since summer.

Exactly lets jus play our best 11 and smash them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

this is an overlooked fact - no matter what result we get vs city (i'm planning on mourning a defeat) the lads will have a week and a half to get their heads back on and their bodies rested.

Saturday will just be a speedbump :)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    this is an overlooked fact - no matter what result we get vs city (i'm planning on mourning a defeat) the lads will have a week and a half to get their heads back on and their bodies rested.

Saturday will just be a speedbump :)

Ya it's just the mentality for the Chelsea game could be a bit strained. Possibly 2 losses and a draw behind us. And facing into the media drive of never beating a Mourinho team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Havent read over the thread since last night. Anything worth reading over?

Obviously dissapointed with the result and performance. The first half we played well but were still lacking any pace or penetration. Very few runners from midfield. Girould held the ball up well but hes not really capable or running in behind.

The second half was a disaster. Couldnt keep the ball for a sustained period. Very sloppy all over. Not good enough. We really are lacking pace in the side and are too easy to defend against at times.

Walcott has be in the team vs City. Probably go with something like this
    Schzeney
    Sagna Mert Kos Monreal
    Flamini Ramsey
    Walcott Ozil Wilshere
    Giroud.

was we toothess when we beat dortmound away? beat liverpool and spurs at home?

Dortmund away was fortunate, I think we'll all admit that. Pool and Sours were home games so we're always going to raise it. There was a lot at stake last night, we should have been trying to win the game and accepting the draw as next best scenario. We were poor. Away from home we lack that spark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Dortmund away was fortunate, I think we'll all admit that. Pool and Sours were home games so we're always going to raise it. There was a lot at stake last night, we should have been trying to win the game and accepting the draw as next best scenario. We were poor. Away from home we lack that spark.

you could add in the everton game to your point as well, that was big game/opportunity & for 40 mins they were nowhere to be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Does anyone else feel Arteta and Flamini played in the wrong positions last night. Flamini was the one bursting forward while Arteta sat back, surely it should be the other way around.
    Also Walcott has to start the weekend, we look devoid of ideas without having that extra pit of pace on the wings, and become a bit predictable.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you could add in the everton game to your point as well, that was big game/opportunity & for 40 mins they were nowhere to be seen

Where was united then on 4/5 of there defeats so far this season? Newcastle spanked them at home at old trafford and so did southampton.

What happened to them?

Everton spanked chelsea, united and almost beat liverpool. Does that make chelsea and co not good either?

There is a reason why we are top of the league and why we scored 12 points in the CL in what is easily the hardest group of all. That reason is simply because we have turned up and done the business 9/10.

What shame is their to draw against everton an inform side?

What shame is it to get beat by Napoli away from home who grabbed more points and put more effort in then any other Italian side including Milan and grabbed 12points?

What shame is it to only miss out on top spot due to the complexity of how they calculate the tied points of teams?

What shame is it to be beaten at Old Trafford against the current champions?

The list goes on.

It is not as if we got battered or lost points to Hull. o Wait a second, Hull spanked liverpool!

You get what i am saying?

Too much rubbish on how we dont turn up in big games etc etc. Well let me correct u, We turn up on more games then any other team in the premier league.

We went about and done the business in the toughest group in the CL as well.

What more do you and the pundits want before people stop with this crap opnm how we dont turn up for big games?

every single CL and PL game we play IS A BIG game.

City and chelsea can go and beat us but if they lose to Hull and southampton then whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Don't know why people think we were playing for a draw, Wenger has said he never sends his team out for anything but a win.

This team isn't good at sitting back and playing for draws just look at united and Everton games for example.

We were too cautious and it just shows we can't deal with this mentality.

Were best when we go for it and play our own game which I hope we will Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You get what i am saying?

Too much rubbish on how we dont turn up in big games etc etc. Well let me correct u, We turn up on more games then any other team in the premier league.

We went about and done the business in the toughest group in the CL as well.

What more do you and the pundits want before people stop with this crap opnm how we dont turn up for big games?

every single CL and PL game we play IS A BIG game.

City and chelsea can go and beat us but if they lose to Hull and southampton then whats the point?

i know what you're saying, however

9 out of 10, except not in the trip to OT to really make a statement or to go 7 clear last sunday - them are the games that make the difference to people opinions & maximising opportunities given to them ny others slipping up

doing the business in the CL would've been topping the group last night - no if buts or maybes i'm afraid, a glorious opportunity spunked

what do people want? win the big decisive games and win the next one & the next one, etc.
    No point being just a level above flat track bullies

crystal palace away, etc. - a big game your hole

arsenal are doing very very well this season, no doubt whatsoever, but they're not there yet & if they don't take the opportunities given to them they'll not be winning any trophies this season either.
    arsenal are 5 points clear - not that much - and people are questioning can they sustain that over the whole season, while with city & chelsea they're asking when they're going to click, really push on, etc. there's no mention of that with arsenal - and it's not because of media bias against them

there are 20 teams in the league, 19 games home and away, the team with the most points at the end is the best. There are so called big games but really and truely they are all big, all winnable and loseable and the team who cops with that the best wins the league.

I dont care who we lose to if the end result is to win the league

Pros and cons for both sides here. I think firstly it's fair to say that if we were all offered this position in August after the Villa defeat and the Champions League Group Draw we would have snapped at it.

However as some have pointed out the nature of the last couple of results and their consequences are leaving some feeling pessimistic about the whole situation. A chance to go 7 clear in the League and qualify 1st in Champions League. Unfortunately that didn't materialise.

I was happy with the point against Everton all in all but very disappointed with last night. I think what's happened with us is we are getting too much too quickly. Remember we were struggling for top 4 last year. It's a big jump.

We need to accept this team is developing and growing and is by no means the finished article. Therefore we should not harshly judge them as we would City and United and even Chelsea. Irrespective of United's form those 3 teams are further on than us in experience and development. We are starting from a long way back.

I am tempering my recent disappointment with realism. Will I be disappointed if we don't win the League? Yes. Devastated - No.

I will be disappointed if we don't put in a sustained challenge.

Will I be disappointed if we don't win the Champions League? - Ha no!
    That's why I am getting over last night. We are way off that yet with the team we have. That's being real about it. Not the worst thing in the world if we go out in 2nd Round if we compete. If we are still in League hunt it might favour us.

Anyway I would ask us to be realistic and not get carried away and not keep going on about the media writing us off. I think they are right with all the info they have.

Look at the top 8 teams bar us: Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Southampton.

We have played 1 of those teams away just 1 and lost. Some terribly difficult games there. By January 1st we will have played 3 more of these teams, 2 of them away. We may still be top but the second half of our season is much more difficult. So let's keep some perspective before we all lose it Saturday afternoon, positively or negatively,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Pros and cons for both sides here. I think firstly it's fair to say that if we were all offered this position in August after the Villa defeat and the Champions League Group Draw we would have snapped at it.

However as some have pointed out the nature of the last couple of results and their consequences are leaving some feeling pessimistic about the whole situation. A chance to go 7 clear in the League and qualify 1st in Champions League. Unfortunately that didn't materialise.

I was happy with the point against Everton all in all but very disappointed with last night. I think what's happened with us is we are getting too much too quickly. Remember we were struggling for top 4 last year. It's a big jump.

We need to accept this team is developing and growing and is by no means the finished article. Therefore we should not harshly judge them as we would City and United and even Chelsea. Irrespective of United's form those 3 teams are further on than us in experience and development. We are starting from a long way back.

I am tempering my recent disappointment with realism. Will I be disappointed if we don't win the League? Yes. Devastated - No.

I will be disappointed if we don't put in a sustained challenge.

Will I be disappointed if we don't win the Champions League? - Ha no!
    That's why I am getting over last night. We are way off that yet with the team we have. That's being real about it. Not the worst thing in the world if we go out in 2nd Round if we compete. If we are still in League hunt it might favour us.

Anyway I would ask us to be realistic and not get carried away and not keep going on about the media writing us off. I think they are right with all the info they have.

Look at the top 8 teams bar us: Man United, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton, Newcastle and Southampton.

We have played 1 of those teams away just 1 and lost. Some terribly difficult games there. By January 1st we will have played 3 more of these teams, 2 of them away. We may still be top but the second half of our season is much more difficult. So let's keep some perspective before we all lose it Saturday afternoon, positively or negatively,

I agree with your perspective. Giroud needs a partner up front. There is no point in hoping that Pod will stay fit, when he returns. So Wenger needs to add to the team in January and not just hope for the best.

btw i thanked your post as it brighten up my day

No worries at least i tried to backup my opinion instead of sniggering, sometimes people have blinkers on.

No worries at least i tried to backup my opinion instead of sniggering, sometimes people have blinkers on.

I think there were many good responses to your post in fairness but you choose to dismiss them.

The best one showed that League form and European pedigree are completely different. Surely Man United are the prime example in this case?

Dortmund are a top European side Leverkusen are not. As stated earlier would you argue Southampton or Newcastle in a European group would make it a more formidable one than Man United being in it? Of course not it's absurd.

Napoli are a very good side with very good players and a good manager. All 3 finished on 12 points. It was outlined as the Group of Death from the outset. It was that.

Arguing that United's group was tougher is ridiculous as your core argument does not stand up regarding Leverkusen being ahead of Dortmund in the table. If you were given the chance to meet either in the QF's who would you choose: Dortmund or Leverkusen???

You are right about Sociedad being better than Marseille.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I know I'll more than likely be slated for this but Giroud isn't good enough to lead our line imo.

Now before anyone jumps all over me his link up play is immense and his awareness is brilliant but as a CF leading our line he is a step below what most our rivals have and a step below what us as Arsenal fans have become accustomed to.

There was one point in last nights game now (admittedly I saw bits and drabs) were Ozil played a ball through Giroud was beaten to it and it was knocked on and once again he was beaten to it and I just couldn't help but think of CF's past who would have latched onto it.

We have all these players who can make killer passes but no player to run on to them, yea Walcott will help but I don't think he will be our saviour either.

Admit it if we had got Suarez during the summer I suspect Giroud would be getting limited game time this season, as I can't have seen Wenger altering his system to fit him in.

Also I know people will say typical we loose and the Giroud debate comes out and yes it does because it's in these tight games were every little thing counts that sometimes I think we just need that little bit of extra quality up front and in these games is when it really shows up. I like Giroud quality player but just a little short of being truly top class.

I know I'll more than likely be slated for this but Giroud isn't good enough to lead our line imo.

Now before anyone jumps all over me his link up play is immense and his awareness is brilliant but as a CF leading our line he is a step below what most our rivals have and a step below what us as Arsenal fans have become accustomed to.

There was one point in last nights game now (admittedly I saw bits and drabs) were Ozil played a ball through Giroud was beaten to it and it was knocked on and once again he was beaten to it and I just couldn't help but think of CF's past who would have latched onto it.

We have all these players who can make killer passes but no player to run on to them, yea Walcott will help but I don't think he will be our saviour either.

Admit it if we had got Suarez during the summer I suspect Giroud would be getting limited game time this season, as I can't have seen Wenger altering his system to fit him in.

Also I know people will say typical we loose and the Giroud debate comes out and yes it does because it's in these tight games were every little thing counts that sometimes I think we just need that little bit of extra quality up front and in these games is when it really shows up. I like Giroud quality player but just a little short of being truly top class.
    I mostly agree with this with the added point that his finishing is well below par. Nobody really mentioned that he missed an open goal vs Everton because Ozil tapped it in for him. His finishing has been poor outside of the first 3/4 games of the season.

Fair argument. Fairly certain we wouldn't have got Ozil had we gotten Suarez and I think Giroud would still be played with Suarez off him.

Also as you point out about Giroud's performance I think he is copping a lot of flack for Cazorla's and Ozil's displays too which are not up to the standards they have set. Shouldn't be forgotten either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If ye think Giroud isnt good enough to lead the line head over to the Chelsea thread to see a real lack of a top class CF.

At least you lot have a guy whos scoring and isnt on loan at Everton :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Fair argument. Fairly certain we wouldn't have got Ozil had we gotten Suarez and I think Giroud would still be played with Suarez off him.

Also as you point out about Giroud's performance I think he is copping a lot of flack for Cazorla's and Ozil's displays too which are not up to the standards they have set. Shouldn't be forgotten either.

I don't know I think with or without Ozil had we got Suarez Giroud would have found his playing time limited. It just would have meant Cazorla would be in the Ozil role more often.

I don't know like last night and plenty of other times I've seen Ozil and other players give great balls and Giroud just doesn't have the pace to get onto them which in turn is making there job harder because essentially playing him up top rules out a lot of through balls and we end up playing it sideways searching and probing for chances. He will never be a game changer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement