Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

look, we are still at least 2 points on top regardless of what happens. A win against Chelsea and we can start to get back on a run before mad March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't even think hes in the level below world class. His finishing is nothing short of pathetic and he'll only get you a goal if its put on a plate for him. City have 5 strikers better than him in their squad.

Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic. They only have 4. Who is the 5th?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Disappointing result but not really a title deciding game, league will be who defeats the other teams more consistently. Putting the ball in the net 5 times and a penalty not given says a lot about the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Where was Ozil today?

I thought he was mostly excellent. Involved in the goals. Not sure what people expect from him.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I thought he was mostly excellent. Involved in the goals. Not sure what people expect from him.

He was poor man. He didn't do any tracking at all and he gave the ball away for Fernandinho's goal which was the important one. He put it on a plate for him.

I thought Walcott was quite good. Did lot's of running and his second goal was really well taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Kirby wrote: »
    He was poor man. He didn't do any tracking at all and he gave the ball away for Fernandinho's goal which was the important one. He put it on a plate for him.

If Flamini has any sense he doesn't stretch to get the ball, he just waits and stop Fernandinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Aguero, Negredo, Dzeko and Jovetic. They only have 4. Who is the 5th?? :confused:

Quite a stretch IMO. Giroud has a huge amount of work to do, and little support in doing it, he does a reasonable job. Been a bit off the boil lately, but then he has played far more games in that demanding role than anyone would ideally play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Hope Wenger can get it to the players a lot of decisions went against them today.

Quite a stretch IMO. Giroud has a huge amount of work to do, and little support in doing it, he does a reasonable job. Been a bit off the boil lately, but then he has played far more games in that demanding role than anyone would ideally play.

No, I meant City only have 4 strikers.

I was questioning AdamD's assertion that they have 5 better than Giroud.....which is a bold statement in itself but also impossible as they don't even have 5 on their books. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If we are honest then we have to concede that City are the best team in the league right now but the league doesn't consist of us playing City every week. This league will be won by how you do against the lesser teams and so far we are doing better than most

btw - who's that Chamakh guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Shocking maths by me! Still maintain those 4 are superior to Giroud mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

To be honest Chamakh is doing better than giroud at palace.
    I just feel like giroud doesn't have to ability to move with the ball his just stiff. All of his goals are tap ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I just feel like giroud doesn't have to ability to move with the ball his just stiff. All of his goals are tap ins.

ara ffs Chamakh has something like 5 shots on target all season, lets not lose the run of ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I like Giroud, good player, tidy and brings everyone in to games but after watching the big games against tougher teams, i too feel we need someone much better, never looks like scoring and was outshone by even a Nicky B 5 minute cameo today. I know he is gone off the boil a little bit but Benteke would be a top and realistic signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

completely ridiculous post.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I like Giroud, good player, tidy and brings everyone in to games but after watching the big games against tougher teams, i too feel we need someone much better, never looks like scoring and was outshone by even a Nicky B 5 minute cameo today. I know he is gone off the boil a little bit but Benteke would be a top and realistic signing.

Benteke wouldn't be an improvement on Giroud. He's stronger sure but his touch isn't any better and he isn't a better finisher.

You need to aim higher. Chelsea are in for Rooney and Falcao and you should be too. Real Madrid want suarez and will pay more than 40 million for him. You should too. That's the level you want to be at. Not Giroud and Benteke.

If Ozil has thought Wenger anything is that you have to pay for world class talent. Okay, he wasn't great today but he's still been a great signing. Aim for the best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kirby's right, need to be aiming for a genuine superstar up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

How was my post ridicules? I don't even think he has scored more than one goal in a game.... His a grand back up striker... But we need someone world class. There's no point in having a 40million play maker and an average striker.

It was just the chamakh part of the post that I think was called ridiculous. He has a few goals and just scored vs Chelsea but he's nowhere near Arsenals level. Palace are not Arsenal.

• Advertisement

your post is ridiculous because you said chamakh is doing better at palace.

i don't see how i've to elaborate on how ridiculous that is.

Giroud isn't world class, anyone can see that. He's a good striker, honest and as a hold up player he does very well. His pace is poor. His finishing is erratic and not good enough. But he's far far better than chamakh. Jesus christ!

Yes I'd like a world class striker. Pool won't sell us suarez. We may end up with someone like Benzema, who is below that level too. We really should be aiming at the top level if we want to get in the trophies. City have shown today with quality strikers how that makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The bottom line is that Giroud missed two great chances in the second half that an Aguero or a Suarez would have buried and also miskicked when he had the chance to put Walcott in for a tap in. That's the difference between good and world class. Could easily have got a draw with a top striker up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Complete trolling ****e this. 10 goals and about 5 assists in 19 games. Chamakh doesn't even have 10 shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Are you actually 14 Ronan?

Giroud has been fantastic for Arsenal this season. Leading the line and bringing our midfield into play.

Is he a 20 league goal a year striker, Maybe not but he bring so much more to the team than just goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The bottom line is that Giroud missed two great chances in the second half that an Aguero or a Suarez would have buried and also miskicked when he had the chance to put Walcott in for a tap in. That's the difference between good and world class. Could easily have got a draw with a top striker up front.

This is spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

wonga77 wrote: »

Per is just top class.

Per is just top class.

his reaction to walcotts second goal:

BbdHgBFIgAA6-p8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

That was **** from Ozil at the end. Fair play to Mert the German Tony Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

2ndcoming wrote: »

Are you being serious? He was absolutely terrible today and to be fair to him I don't blame him for the 3rd goal I think it was a grand pass but Flamini took his eye off it when he looked up.

He is nowhere to be seen in the big games yet when we need him and yet we have loads of people tip toeing around him here telling us about his brilliant passing accuracy stats. He is quality but we need more from him much more.

I said it here a few weeks back that I felt he isnt happy with his lot be it leaving Madrid or whatever and some of his performances and attitude after the game today did not help dispel these thoughts.

He's buying a house at the moment. He's hardly going to bother with that if he isn't happy and wants to leave.

• Advertisement

Regarding the match itself we were outclassed and we can pretend all we like about refereeing decisions etc but when City stepped it up we had few answers. That's not a criticism though as I said during the week they are by far the best team and we need to temper our expectations with the side.

Wilshere had a nightmare day. Great to see Walcott back. Giroud tried hard and did what he does best and didn't do what a top top striker probably would have.

He's buying a house at the moment. He's hardly going to bother with that if he isn't happy and wants to leave.

I never suggested he wants to leave. He knows he won't be going anywhere.

He looks like a guy that was forced out of Madrid against his will though and is unhappy about it. I just think for the price we paid his attitude at times looks poor yet we'l slate the £12 million striker we have who busts his gut every day out there and plays to the limits of his ability.

Waiting now to hear about 'time to adapt', settle, etc. He is a world class £42 million pound signing. That's not a luxury he is meant to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I agree re: Giroud. He's getting a bashing here today and to be fair to him, he's been instrumental in getting us to where we are this season. I'm not saying we couldn't do with an alternative by the way but it doesn't sit right the way people are turning on him a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm just home and missed the game but i heard something happened between Ozil and Mert ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

He looks like a guy that was forced out of Madrid against his will though and is unhappy about it. I just think for the price we paid his attitude at times looks poor yet we'l slate the £12 million striker we have who busts his gut every day out there and plays to the limits of his ability.

Waiting now to hear about 'time to adapt', settle, etc. He is a world class £42 million pound signing. That's not a luxury he is meant to have.

Personally I think it was a ****tty thing to do but!
    Ozil isn't the type of person who bothers with media,thanking fans and the like.
    He's usually the first down the tunnel.

Ozil seems like someone who doesn't really care about those things, he just wants to play he football and thats it.. But that doesn't mean he's unhappy. Sure just follow him on Twitter and you'll see.

I think you're looking into it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Fair play to Per at the end, it takes real balls to confront a team mate like that, especially our star player. I'd love if he was made captain next year.

https://vine.co/v/h2DXPO3LUWp

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Personally I think it was a ****tty thing to do but!
    Ozil isn't the type of person who bothers with media,thanking fans and the like.
    He's usually the first down the tunnel.

Ozil seems like someone who doesn't really care about those things, he just wants to play he football and thats it.. But that doesn't mean he's unhappy. Sure just follow him on Twitter and you'll see.

I think you're looking into it too much.

I follow him on Twitter. His actions speak much louder than words IMO.

Also he doesn't speak English so there tends be a bit of exaggeration in them by the looks of them.

I am not too worried about what he says after he wins. I am worried about some of his performances, attitude, etc.

I don't want to be overly harsh but it galls me to see Giroud and others get the criticism they do yet Ozil gets a free ride as we treat him like a new kids toy.

It's men and characters like Giroud, Mertesacker and Ramsey that make this team different to recent Arsenal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

No, I meant City only have 4 strikers.

I was questioning AdamD's assertion that they have 5 better than Giroud.....which is a bold statement in itself but also impossible as they don't even have 5 on their books. :P

Your forgetting Guidetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm not sure what you are expecting from him. We bought the player with the highest assists in Europe over the last few years. After about 12 games he has the highest assists in the Premier League already. He was involved in our first 2 goals and put in a few other great balls for both Giroud and Walcott. That's what he does.

Just cause he cost 40m doesn't mean he's Beckenbauer, Gerrard and Henry rolled into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Regarding the match itself we were outclassed and we can pretend all we like about refereeing decisions etc but when City stepped it up we had few answers. That's not a criticism though as I said during the week they are by far the best team and we need to temper our expectations with the side.

Wilshere had a nightmare day. Great to see Walcott back. Giroud tried hard and did what he does best and didn't do what a top top striker probably would have.

Sometimes I actually think that there's a conspiracy against us with referees.
    We never seem to get a decision that is 50/50 even.
    I am surprised the club has not highlighted the fact.

However there was a big gap in class today. Money talks and City have plenty of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ah don't be going on about conspiracies tayto lover! Bad decisions happen to all teams, it's completely random. The only way it ever favors anyone is home crowds put pressure on referees. But every team has equal amount of home games.

Ah don't be going on about conspiracies tayto lover! Bad decisions happen to all teams, it's completely random. The only way it ever favors anyone is home crowds put pressure on referees. But every team has equal amount of home games.

Home crowds get them?
    We don't even get them at the Emirates FFS. Seriously.

Sometimes I actually think that there's a conspiracy against us with referees.
    We never seem to get a decision that is 50/50 even.
    I am surprised the club has not highlighted the fact.

However there was a big gap in class today. Money talks and City have plenty of it.

I don't agree with that. I think every team feels that about themselves. Why there would be a conspiracy against a team finishing 4th and 20 points off the top every year Il never know.

There was an item produced here before that we benefited by 5 points+ season last year due to incorrect cards/penalties I think?

Anyway it's time we stopped looking for excuses now and look inward and push on.

We can poor mouth all we like but when City wanted to push on they did. We had a lot of chances at 3-1. We still got it back to 3-2 and they pushed on. Same at 1-1. Sick of blaming refs, linesmen, etc.

We need to look at ourselves.

Koscielny for the 1st - poor defending.

Wilshere could have done better on Zabaleta for 2nd but not blatant bad defending.

Flamini - terrible for the 3rd. Iv had my go at Ozil but I think his pass was fine, you can see Flamini taking his eye off the ball.

Wilshere awful for the 5th

Gnabry for the 6th.

That's what we need to worry about. Not the linesmen or referee.

Home crowds get them?
    We don't even get them at the Emirates FFS. Seriously.

Got a lucky one against Liverpool in Emirates. I'd have been pissed if we were pulled back for the quick free kick.

I don't agree with that. I think every team feels that about themselves. Why there would be a conspiracy against a team finishing 4th and 20 points off the top every year Il never know.

There was an item produced here before that we benefited by 5 points+ season last year due to incorrect cards/penalties I think?

Anyway it's time we stopped looking for excuses now and look inward and push on.

We can poor mouth all we like but when City wanted to push on they did. We had a lot of chances at 3-1. We still got it back to 3-2 and they pushed on. Same at 1-1. Sick of blaming refs, linesmen, etc.

We need to look at ourselves.

Koscielny for the 1st - poor defending.

Wilshere could have done better on Zabaleta for 2nd but not blatant bad defending.

Flamini - terrible for the 3rd. Iv had my go at Ozil but I think his pass was fine, you can see Flamini taking his eye off the ball.

Wilshere awful for the 5th

Gnabry for the 6th.

That's what we need to worry about. Not the linesmen or referee.

No. I think the referees do us no favours.
    I even mentioned it before the game began on the match thread.
    Some frees denied to us today and given to City for exactly the same thing.

Apart from that I agree with your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Lol conspiracy against Arsenal. Nonsense.

No. I think the referees do us no favours.
    I even mentioned it before the game began on the match thread.
    Some frees denied to us today and given to City for exactly the same thing.

Apart from that I agree with your post.

Ok but I don't believe in any conspiracy and I think it balances out as they say! We might get the rub of the green in 9 days time.

All Im saying is we can only look at ourselves and improve on that. That should be our first port of call.

I don't think the referee cost us 3 or 1 points today at all. I don't think the referee cost us 3 points at Old Trafford and I don't think they did against Dortmund or Napoli.

I don't think they did against West Brom or Everton for the draws either.

The Villa game was all IMO.

So the vast majority of points we dropped ourselves and we need to focus on fixing that.

Confident we will beat Chelsea

basically our top performers made mistakes. City's didnt. City have more top performers than we do. They spend about 100m a season, hence the quality of players they can call upon. In the big games your star players have to be on top of their games or you will lose.

Most of us knew we were really going to be facing a difficult proposition to beat them 3 days after a tough CL away game, when their home form is so good. They're probably the most dangerous team in the league when they click.

There's nothing new to learn from today that we didn't know already. Still loads of games to go. If the lads keep their heads we can weather this storm. With a bit of luck wenger will spend in January to get us that bit stronger for the 2nd half of the season.

Ok but I don't believe in any conspiracy and I think it balances out as they say! We might get the rub of the green in 9 days time.

All Im saying is we can only look at ourselves and improve on that. That should be our first port of call.

I don't think the referee cost us 3 or 1 points today at all. I don't think the referee cost us 3 points at Old Trafford and I don't think they did against Dortmund or Napoli.

I don't think they did against West Brom or Everton for the draws either.

The Villa game was all IMO.

So the vast majority of points we dropped ourselves and we need to focus on fixing that.

Confident we will beat Chelsea

agree with all you say there. 100%

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Lol conspiracy against Arsenal. Nonsense.

You should actually watch some of our games and see for yourself.
    We get on the wrong end of more than our fair share of bad decisions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement