Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Found this on a forum some good points.

As I said- it's our fault we've lost this one. But the refs certainly didn't make it easier for us. We didn't deserve three points but with a 50/50 officiating we probably could've won a point.
    Yes, sometimes we get decisions our way. But from all the big clubs we're the ones who've been f*cked over by the refs the most in the last decade. This season we've seen some of our players get sent off for nothing. But it's nothing new. Remember a few years back vs West Ham? Red card forVermaelen. Remember the 4:4 against Newcastle? Red card for Diaby although it was a certain moustached thug who tried to break his leg first. Remember all the red cards Vieira used to get? He definately didn't deserve some of them.
    As for penalties- remember the dive that ended our unbeaten run? Or something recent- remember Sczhczhczhezhczhcny's first game? Vs man*re? Clichy was on the ground, they kicked the ball into his arm from two yards out and the ref gave them a penalty. I could go on like that 'till monday but it's pointless.
    F*ck it! Good night everybody!

With 50/50 officiating we would still have been a goal behind at least. The sooner we get past this officiating complex the better. It's pathetic. If we are good enough we will be fine. Stop falling back on officials mistakes, it's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

AdamD wrote: »
    I know I'm bashing him yet again but I can't fathom how the criticism of Giroud should annoy you, with Ozil supposedly getting a free ride (which he hasn't). Its the British and Irish footballing mentality, praise the guy who tries really really hard over the guy who has the talent and end product. Arsenal scored 3 goals, had 2 disallowed and Giroud missed countless chances. I think our creative players did their job...

Flamini, Wilshere (both attacking and defensively), Monreal and Kosc all had shockers. Giroud played in the same vain as he has for 2 months, lots of running, no composure.

He has Adam - compare the critiscism of Ozil to Giroud - no comparison. Giroud probably has had 4 times the critiscism yet Ozil is 4 times the value??

And with respect if you are following football for the past while you will know that that the European style of football at present is a high pressure/pressing game where every player applies themselves. Did you see Silva today making numerous Slide tackles in our half??? He is their most creative player. Did you see Ozil do the same?? Yet we have to make do with pathetic defences that Ozil deserves to be left free just to stand there to preserve his creative ability. Why isnt Silva doing that or Rooney?? Thats why Mourinho has dropped Mata on occasion.

So with respect please do not deride me with crap about Irish/ British mentality when if you have any following the game of football you will realise that 'continental football' is currently all about about pressure/pressing and application as demonstrated by Bayern, Barcelona, Madrid,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Shocking maths by me! Still maintain those 4 are superior to Giroud mind.
    Ronan14 wrote: »
    How was my post ridicules? I don't even think he has scored more than one goal in a game.... His a grand back up striker... But we need someone world class. There's no point in having a 40million play maker and an average striker.

I know I'm bashing him yet again but I can't fathom how the criticism of Giroud should annoy you, with Ozil supposedly getting a free ride (which he hasn't). Its the British and Irish footballing mentality, praise the guy who tries really really hard over the guy who has the talent and end product. Arsenal scored 3 goals, had 2 disallowed and Giroud missed countless chances. I think our creative players did their job...

Flamini, Wilshere (both attacking and defensively), Monreal and Kosc all had shockers. Giroud played in the same vain as he has for 2 months, lots of running, no composure.
    TL;dr

To quote a popular phrase i dont know what some of you are smoking in here.

Particularly looking at you AdamD!!

First of all he didnt miss countless chances. They can be counted rather easily! A header fractionally wide and a couple of other makeable chances.

Girouds performance had nothing to do with the core reason for the result. Wilshere was pure garbage. Whether he was unfit or not i don't know. He was muck. His performance alone meant that Flamini was being exposed time and time again. It also meant Ramsey had an awful lot to do running backwards.

Then, of course, Mesut didnt exactly run the marathon during the game and didnt track back but thats to be expected. In the Keane-Vieira documentary Patrick was quick to point out with a smile that Pires didn't run a lot but you could tolerate that given what he brought to the side going forwards. Almost a willingness to do his running for him. Unfortunately Wilshere was so far off the pace today that it compromised the whole midfield.

As for no composure.... Giroud has 7 goals and 4 assists in 14 league appearances. That's a goal every other game. And some of those "tap-ins" were made to look like tap-ins because of the brilliant lines he ran to get ahead of the centre-backs.

Unless you're going by some distorted view of the world through a prism of Ronaldo and Messi, then a goal every other game is perfectly welcome from a front-line striker. It effectively means 20 league goals a year. Chip in a few in cups and you're looking at 25 goals and 10 assists a year.

It's massively disingenuous and flat out wrong to compare Giroud directly with Suarez or Aguero. For a start BOTH Suarez and Aguero play in a partnership with 2 up front. Suarez + Sturridge = 22 league goals so far, Aguero + Negredo = 22 league goals so far.

Giroud leads the line on his own. He's outperforming all his peers who do a similar role. Lukaku, Soldado, Torres......

Also to say he's not as good as any of Citys strikers is a bit rich given Dzeko and Jovetic have done absolutely sweet f.a. this year!! they are either injured or getting splinters in their arse!!

For my money Giroud sits COMFORTABLY in the top 7 strikers in the league this season for his all-around game including goals. He'd be in there with Aguero, Suarez, Lukaku, Rooney, Negredo and Remy.

The age-old "World Class" debate is a bit silly but if Arsenal could bring in a world class striker to compliment or replace Giroud, then terrific! But how many strikers out there are world class? There's not many. Off the top of my head there's Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Ibra, Cavani, Suarez, Ageuro......... And if you want to draw up a list of "world class" strikers who are buyable then i'd like to see that list.

Giroud is in that next bunch down from that. But don't insult the guy or peoples intelligence by saying 2 lads barely playing for City are better than him.

He's done more than enough this season not to deserve that sort of insult.

Lastly the logic that its a British and Irish mentality of praising the hard worker over the skill/end produc is a bit insulting and also pretty myopic....... watch the goals again.

Walcotts 1st goal in particular. Ozil gets the credit for the assist but that goal simply doesn't happen without the run Giroud makes. He dragged 2 defenders towards the 6 yard box with a clever run leaving a clear pass for Ozil to make. No run = no pass on.

Walcotts 2nd goal - Ramsay chips the ball to him and gets the assist. But without Girouds run, Walcott is offisde. Giroud dragged the centre back towards his own goal with his run, keeping Theo onside. No run = no goal.

Those selfless runs also come under the heading of "hard work" and they should be praised. Hard work should always be praised and unlike you i do see an end product. His 2 selfless runs were a key factor in 2 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

TL;dr

To quote a popular phrase i dont know what some of you are smoking in here.

Particularly looking at you AdamD!!

First of all he didnt miss countless chances. They can be counted rather easily! A header fractionally wide and a couple of other makeable chances.

Girouds performance had nothing to do with the core reason for the result. Wilshere was pure garbage. Whether he was unfit or not i don't know. He was muck. His performance alone meant that Flamini was being exposed time and time again. It also meant Ramsey had an awful lot to do running backwards.

Then, of course, Mesut didnt exactly run the marathon during the game and didnt track back but thats to be expected. In the Keane-Vieira documentary Patrick was quick to point out with a smile that Pires didn't run a lot but you could tolerate that given what he brought to the side going forwards. Almost a willingness to do his running for him. Unfortunately Wilshere was so far off the pace today that it compromised the whole midfield.

As for no composure.... Giroud has 7 goals and 4 assists in 14 league appearances. That's a goal every other game. And some of those "tap-ins" were made to look like tap-ins because of the brilliant lines he ran to get ahead of the centre-backs.

Unless you're going by some distorted view of the world through a prism of Ronaldo and Messi, then a goal every other game is perfectly welcome from a front-line striker. It effectively means 20 league goals a year. Chip in a few in cups and you're looking at 25 goals and 10 assists a year.

It's massively disingenuous and flat out wrong to compare Giroud directly with Suarez or Aguero. For a start BOTH Suarez and Aguero play in a partnership with 2 up front. Suarez + Sturridge = 22 league goals so far, Aguero + Negredo = 22 league goals so far.

Giroud leads the line on his own. He's outperforming all his peers who do a similar role. Lukaku, Soldado, Torres......

Also to say he's not as good as any of Citys strikers is a bit rich given Dzeko and Jovetic have done absolutely sweet f.a. this year!! they are either injured or getting splinters in their arse!!

For my money Giroud sits COMFORTABLY in the top 7 strikers in the league this season for his all-around game including goals. He'd be in there with Aguero, Suarez, Lukaku, Rooney, Negredo and Remy.

The age-old "World Class" debate is a bit silly but if Arsenal could bring in a world class striker to compliment or replace Giroud, then terrific! But how many strikers out there are world class? There's not many. Off the top of my head there's Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Neymar, Ibra, Cavani, Suarez, Ageuro......... And if you want to draw up a list of "world class" strikers who are buyable then i'd like to see that list.

Giroud is in that next bunch down from that. But don't insult the guy or peoples intelligence by saying 2 lads barely playing for City are better than him.

He's done more than enough this season not to deserve that sort of insult.

Lastly the logic that its a British and Irish mentality of praising the hard worker over the skill/end produc is a bit insulting and also pretty myopic....... watch the goals again.

Walcotts 1st goal in particular. Ozil gets the credit for the assist but that goal simply doesn't happen without the run Giroud makes. He dragged 2 defenders towards the 6 yard box with a clever run leaving a clear pass for Ozil to make. No run = no pass on.

Walcotts 2nd goal - Ramsay chips the ball to him and gets the assist. But without Girouds run, Walcott is offisde. Giroud dragged the centre back towards his own goal with his run, keeping Theo onside. No run = no goal.

Those selfless runs also come under the heading of "hard work" and they should be praised. Hard work should always be praised and unlike you i do see an end product. His 2 selfless runs were a key factor in 2 goals.

+1,000,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

He does all this great work than puts a header wide and smacks another chance wide after it it his left foot.

The fact bendtnr looked more dangerous says it all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Ian wright dennis bergkamp thierry henry robin van persie olivier giroud sorry but giroud shouldnt be mentioned among them names hes a top bloke and always gives it 100% but hes not good enough to be our lone striker surely ye can see that?
    Maybe its time to play two upfront?
    Podolski and giroud upfront

Id say try and sign hernandez from man united but thats just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ian wright dennis bergkamp thierry henry robin van persie olivier giroud sorry but giroud shouldnt be mentioned among them names hes a top bloke and always gives it 100% but hes not good enough to be our lone striker surely ye can see that?
    Maybe its time to play two upfront?
    Podolski and giroud upfront

Id say try and sign hernandez from man united but thats just my opinion

I was thinking two kuo fringe with Walcott and giroud
    And in fairness Walcott spends a lot of time up there

But to actually play two up from the start I think would leave us exposed at the back

Our problem yesterday was balance in the side
    Walcott played as a second striker msking runs in behind
    Ozil don't track back often, that's his game I don't mind
    Wilshere had is worst ever game for arsenal

That left Ramsey and flamini trying to hold the fort, there were been dragged all over the place and that left gaps everywhere

What I will take from yesterday is werd tore them open and could and maybe should of had six ourselfs

With Walcott back I think we're going to score a lot of goals we just need to find the balance that keeps our defence tight too

I think in the big games it will be arteta/flamini with Ramsey on the left and the other 3 can do what they like

When ya sit down and think of it there is a lot of positives to take from yesterday, with fresher legs and a proper balance I think we will mix it with anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Oranage2 wrote: »
    He does all this great work than puts a header wide and smacks another chance wide after it it his left foot.

The fact bendtnr looked more dangerous says it all

There seems to be this myth out there that Suarez, aguero, Rooney etc never miss sitters. No player in the world, not even messi or ronaldo score 100% of chances presented to them. Every player misses clearcut chances, they wouldn't be human otherwise, it's a pretty lazy argument imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm not trying to make excuses but was just trying to fathom why we made so many defensive errors that led to goals or chances.

Could it have been down to having to play 3 games in 6 days? Obviously City put tremendous pressure on players in possession and that also played a major part. But so many mis-placed passes in risky areas was very unlike Arsenal.

Taking off Flamini for Gnabry was s mistake for me. No criticsim of Gnabry who did pretty well offensively but a midfield that was struggling to cope with Toure and co really needed its most important defensive contributor. Wilshere should have gone off at that point as he was so ineffective

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

greendom wrote: »
    Taking off Flamini for Gnabry was s mistake for me.
    Yep, Wenger did the same with hooking Coquelin when we were 3-1 down at Man United and look how that turned out. Crazy decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jack isn't a left sided mid, shouldn't have started there.

But we should have pressed their mid nose, sitting back against their mid is crazy.

Bad tactics.

wonga77 wrote: »
    There seems to be this myth out there that Suarez, aguero, Rooney etc never miss sitters. No player in the world, not even messi or ronaldo score 100% of chances presented to them. Every player misses clearcut chances, they wouldn't be human otherwise, it's a pretty lazy argument imo

Of course they all miss, but they also all score a lot more. I don't dislike Giroud he works very hard and does a lot of good work but he's not of the class we need if we want to challenge for things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Yep, Wenger did the same with hooking Coquelin when we were 3-1 down at Man United and look how that turned out. Crazy decision.

It was mad taking flamini off but in a way im glad we go for it rather then play for a 2/3 goals loss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Our problem yesterday was balance in the side
    Walcott played as a second striker msking runs in behind
    Ozil don't track back often, that's his game I don't mind
    Wilshere had is worst ever game for arsenal

That left Ramsey and flamini trying to hold the fort, there were been dragged all over the place and that left gaps everywhere

What I will take from yesterday is werd tore them open and could and maybe should of had six ourselfs

With Walcott back I think we're going to score a lot of goals we just need to find the balance that keeps our defence tight too

I think in the big games it will be arteta/flamini with Ramsey on the left and the other 3 can do what they like

When ya sit down and think of it there is a lot of positives to take from yesterday, with fresher legs and a proper balance I think we will mix it with anyone

Yes indeed. I was dreading watching MOTD, but saw some positives, in the match against Man City. Wenger admitted that the team lost discipline in the last 20 minutes when he withdrew Flamini. There were at least 3 very soft goals IMO. Wenger claimed there were 5 that Arsenal gifted to City. Someone like Flamini to keep the balance between defence and midfield is vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This break we have no until the Chelsea game is the best thing that could happen for us. All the players look shattered, and was probably no coincidence that our better performer yesterday was Walcott given that he has been out for the last few months.

I feel for Giroud busting his bałls up there on his own all season and still gets grief

Any one else shouting for "the team that can't be named or you might get a card" today?

efb wrote: »
    Any one else shouting for "the team that can't be named or you might get a card" today?

A draw for me

Never.

(Unless their win seals us a trophy, then it's beautifully bittersweet :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

No I'll never shout for spuds. Liverpool all the way today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 13 (8)
    Giroud 10 (7)
    Ozil 5 (4)
    Wilshere 4 (2)
    Walcott 3 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Bendtner 1 (1)
    Flamini 1 (1)
    Cazorla 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

(League goals in brackets)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I know he hasn't been back long but did anyone else think it looks like Theo has been working on his game a lot? Both his finishing and even his free kicks looked much improved to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I know he hasn't been back long but did anyone else think it looks like Theo has been working on his game a lot? Both his finishing and even his free kicks looked much improved to me.

Definitely. I don't think it's a coincidence that a certain Mr Henry is at the club right now. I'd imagine he's getting tips from the man himself. Walcott's second yesterday was a real Henry-esque beaut.

No

Never

Hope they get smashed

We were too defensive against utd

We were too open against city

When we get that balance right the league better watch out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Yes hate Liverpool much more than Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yes but his corners still suck.

Liverpool are a credible threat, they ain't.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't write anyone in the top 5 off yet. City would have to favourites though unfortunately. I don't get Chelsea being favourites above us. They're very leaky at the back. Next weekend will be very interesting. I can see us getting a result against Chelsea.

Speaking of which, has Wenger beaten Mourinho yet in a game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Think Suarez could nearly drag them there on his own, he's henry-esq now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

As much as I love Ozil and buying him really made a statement from the club, it was really Suarez we needed. We should have given the £50m+ that would have sealed the deal. Despite his issues, he would have been worth all the money

Think Suarez could nearly drag them there on his own, he's henry-esq now.

Double the bid Arsene! 80,000,002

Liverpool, you now have my permission to mangle them!

They are being shredded by Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

They are being shredded by Liverpool

they're looking decidedly ****e. which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good chance Liverpool are top for Christmas if we dont manage a point with Chelsea, did not see them keeping this up at all.

Just had a read of the Sp*rs forum.

Good stuff

:D

Very quite.

See what a pressing game does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A while back somebody was claiming that we wanted Holtby, and was disappointed that he went to Spurs. What a nothing player he is

I wouldn't gloat at Spurs lads although it is nice to see them lose.
    We have a poor record against Chelsea and just shipped 8 goals in two games.

We need to spend the next week getting ourselves together for a battle royal.

I wouldn't gloat at Spurs lads although it is nice to see them lose.
    We have a poor record against Chelsea and just shipped 8 goals in two games.

We need to spend the next week getting ourselves together for a battle royal.

Meh.

Schadenfreude lightens gloomy weekends ;)

Still top of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spurs again have put a smile on my face. Keep up the good work AVB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

*Stolen*
    From a Spurs forum -

"Right Lads. Really excited now. For the first time in years I`ve just managed to get through my shift at work without hearing the result. I`m gonna grab a couple of beers and watch my sky plus recording and not view any posts on here to give anything away. Come on you mother-****ing spurs lets smash`em. Judging by the number of pages on the match thread already I`m getting the tingling feeling there`s a spurs classic on the way. See ya later ! COYS"

Esso Ekotto and Adebayor in trouble too.
    Making a laugh of the five nil on twitter it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

*Stolen*

Bless his cotton socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Esso Ekotto and Adebayor in trouble too.
    Making a laugh of the five nil on twitter it seems.

2 idiots to be fair, they epitimise everything that is wrong with the modern day footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

A while back somebody was claiming that we wanted Holtby, and was disappointed that he went to Spurs. What a nothing player he is

He's a great player, far too good for them lot. Seems to me that you're basing this on 60 minutes of a game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement