Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Are we sure Wenger hasn't signed Ozil as a back up CB?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Raf32 wrote: »
    Giroud has had 6 injury days since 2005.

Damn it, he must be due one so.

Keeping Giroud fit and playing well untill January is so crucial now. Not signing cover seems like It could be a big mistake If he gets injured. Saying that, What a ****ing player weve got in Ozil. Genuine world class. I cant wait to see him and Cazorla in the same team. Two magicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Ozil and Cazorla both playing wide would be ****ing ridiculous. And not in a good way.

Ozil will be in the centre, Santi out wide. can't see it any other way at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

shano_88 wrote: »
    Damn it, he must be due one so.

Keeping Giroud fit and playing well untill January is so crucial now. Not signing cover seems like It could be a big mistake If he gets injured. Saying that, What a ****ing player weve got in Ozil. Genuine world class. I cant wait to see him and Cazorla in the same team. Two magicians.
    To be fair, Giroud looks like he looks after himself well. I'm not surprised he hasnt missed many games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The Madrid fans react to Bale on Facebook...:D

https://www.facebook.com/RealMadrid/posts/10150452050004953

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

BTPIsxbIQAAHFPx.jpg:large

south_park_stan.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Haha thats gas!

Id be freaked too if I was a Madrid fan. But im not. And im chuffed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Randy spnk picture in relation to Ozil never gets old!

If you had said at the satrt of the window that Bale goes to Madrid and this would cause us to get Ozil as he is "surplus" I would have laughed.

But here we are and it feels so smugly great :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wonder if Wenger will change the way we play now to a more central attacking team now that we have Ozil. We have been using the wings a lot more over the last year or so with great success, but now that we have that extra creative link i wonder will he revert more central again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »
    Our midfield is sick. Next in line in world football after Real & Barca and so much depth.

I agree someway with the naysayers here.

Figures of 150 million were being thrown about and with the money we saved on wages, it'd just be a matter of spending the lot on 3-4 players and we'd be up there with city/Chelsea.

At the start of the summer I said

Backup to Arteta
    Backup/eventual successor to Mert
    Superstar striker

Happy with Flamini as Arteta's backup. Offers a more aggressive option too which might be useful. If we get anything close to the Flamini of old, he'll push Arteta for the spot too. Nice glimpse of him the other day as well. Think we'll be happy with how it works out.

Kind of meh about the idea of Sagna as our emergency CB. Flamini as an emergency right back kind if makes it OK in terms of squad depth but if Mert were to be injured, you'd rather someone come in and do the best to make the position their own rather than just fill in from right back.
    I know nothing but for some reason liked the idea of Ginter.

There's no denying we messed up the star striker. Eventually there was no more to be found and Giroud's form along with the fact that Cazorla is needed till December on the left meant that it was a star midfielder we'd be getting.

But we're still moving forward.

The rot stopped with RVP. After that all the players were committed longer term in terms of contracts. Last season we finally copped on and started defending properly so hopefully things like the 4 goal lead at Newcastle and howler in the cup final against Birmingham will be in the past. The deadwood is gone, our squad is now filled only with players that make a real contribution, some up and coming talent, and Diaby.

Now for the first time in years we have a marquee signing. Add another each window for the next couple of years while letting Wenger do his thing and we'll be back competing again.

If we had just got a top striker we would be up there this season. Higuain or Suarez would have made us favourites for the title and had we just gone and bid the required amount I would have been very happy.
    We could do it this season yet but we will have to remain injury-free up front. We could have removed the doubts. Don't know why we didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Brilliant!

If we had just got a top striker we would be up there this season. Higuain or Suarez would have made us favourites for the title and had we just gone and bid the required amount I would have been very happy.
    We could do it this season yet but we will have to remain injury-free up front. We could have removed the doubts. Don't know why we didn't.

It's only a matter of time I think. Our revenue is going to be even bigger next year and if we keep this group together we only need a couple of players rather than the big overhaul the media wanted us to believe.

In fairness, we did go after Suarez and Higuain (regardless of how we handled those deals) and as I said in a previous post I'd rather wait just a little bit longer for that amazing striker rather than make do with someone just below that.

I know its really easy to get carried away right now but if I take a step back and look at the long-term picture, I truly believe our club is in an amazing position going forward, perhaps better than any other club in terms of stability and sustainability too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Also signing Ozil is guaranteed to keep the Emirates full for a few more months at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

danlen wrote: »
    It's only a matter of time I think. Our revenue is going to be even bigger next year and if we keep this group together we only need a couple of players rather than the big overhaul the media wanted us to believe.

In fairness, we did go after Suarez and Higuain (regardless of how we handled those deals) and as I said in a previous post I'd rather wait just a little bit longer for that amazing striker rather than make do with someone just below that.

I know its really easy to get carried away right now but if I take a step back and look at the long-term picture, I truly believe our club is in an amazing position going forward, perhaps better than any other club in terms of stability and sustainability too.

Agree but with Higuain or Suarez and a CB the sky was the limit. We were nearly complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

818052_Arsenal.jpg

This is our best 11 for me, unless Wilshere's form kicks on, or his partnership with Ramsey eclipses the Ramsey/Arteta combo.

Leaves a potential bench of: Viviano, Monreal, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Rosicky, Podolski.

And Ox somewhere. Of course we've plenty of injuries so that game day squad is just a pipe dream atm.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agree with all the key points, apart from perhaps Viviano being on the bench ahead of Fabianski. Think Flamini's versatility might get him in ahead of Jenks in that scenario also.

Agree with all the key points, apart from perhaps Viviano being on the bench ahead of Fabianski. Think Flamini's versatility might get him in ahead of Jenks in that scenario also.

At least we have a few options when everyone is fit. I dont think we are in too bad a shape. Striker is the only real concern. We have an injury crisis right now. I cant see more then whats out at the moment being out again all season. Numbers wise

AdamD wrote: »
    818052_Arsenal.jpg

This is our best 11 for me, unless Wilshere's form kicks on, or his partnership with Ramsey eclipses the Ramsey/Arteta combo.

Leaves a potential bench of: Viviano, Monreal, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, Wilshere, Rosicky, Podolski.

And Ox somewhere. Of course we've plenty of injuries so that game day squad is just a pipe dream atm.

Might get slated for this but I would nearly have Flamini start ahead of Arteta in that team. Let him sit back with Ramsey and Ozil doing their thing.

• Advertisement

What does Ozils signing mean for Wilshere? At least he shouldnt be over played anyways which reduces the risk of another injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

HazDanz wrote: »
    Might get slated for this but I would nearly have Flamini start ahead of Arteta in that team. Let him sit back with Ramsey and Ozil doing their thing.

It's a good problem to have.

jonny666 wrote: »
    What does Ozils signing mean for Wilshere? At least he shouldnt be over played anyways which reduces the risk of another injury

Wilshere sitting deep is where he excels and does his dribbling. Arteta getting squezzed out of the team I think.

Ideally the team I would have is....

Giroud

Cazorla
    Ozil
    Walcott

Wilshere

Ramsey

Gibbs
    Kos
    Mert
    Sagna

The thing with Cazorla and Ozil you could nearly give them free rein to interchange with one another during games. It'll wreck defender's heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Wilshere sitting deep is where he excels and does his dribbling. Arteta getting squezzed out of the team I think.

Ideally the team I would have is....

Giroud

Cazorla
    Ozil
    Walcott

Wilshere

Ramsey

Gibbs
    Kos
    Mert
    Sagna

That's a team that could win a EPL, it's all about keeping them fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Looper007 wrote: »
    That's a team that could win a EPL, it's all about keeping them fit.

you are a bit more upbeat today :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

We're gonna need Giroud to start scoring on the road and against other top 4 rivals. Then we can talk about winning the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Our poor oul goalkeeper that we signed last night isn't getting a look in at all. Welcome to Arsenal Emiliano Viviani.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

My understanding is that Ozil has a bit of pace. if true then that will be some forward line for Arsenal.

I expect Walcott to have a blinding year - with Cazorla and Ozil behind you, how can he not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

YAAAAYYYY Happy Looper is back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If it’s the Flamini that played on Sunday then your right, Sunday was his first game, at home, NLD it possible that the adrenaline buzz from all that raised his game. I would like to see him over a few more games before making the call.

If he can produce Sundays form steadily he could be one of the bargains of the window, he is disciplined, experienced, tackles hard and he is a leader, exactly what we need in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

RvP: "Arsenal lack ambition."

Giroud is now playing in front of Ozil, Cazorla & Wilshere.

van Persie has Cleverley, Carrick & Anderson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

RvP: "Arsenal lack ambition."

Giroud is now playing in front of Ozil, Cazorla & Wilshere.

van Persie has Cleverley, Carrick & Anderson.

Fellaini?

That team above is exactly what Balluige just picked on SSN.
    No arteta, rosicky, poldi, monreal, ox, vermalen, monreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Put Arteta in for Ramsey, same position he played his first season and Flamini in the CDM with Ozil on top. Now watch the pass ratio increase. Arteta was a great attacker and is more used to the CM role. He can switch with Flamini, plus there's the option of bringing Ramsey off the bench. It would be a much more mature midfield I think, and would love to have something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Nicklas Bendtner Statement
    Article posted: 03 September 2013

I want to assure all Arsenal fans that I will give everything I have to contribute to what I believe will be a successful season for the club

-

It's no secret that Arsenal and myself had agreed that I could leave the club during the 2013 summer transfer window subject to an agreement between all parties.

An agreement had been reached with more than one club this week but as Arsenal were unable to secure the services of another striker, they reserved their right to not sanction any deal to be concluded...

Naturally, I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to a new challenge, with a new club and a fresh start in English football.

Many things have been said about my where my future lies after many years at Arsenal; the truth is I just want to play football which is when I'm happiest and Arsenal is a fantsstic environment for any professional to apply their trade. I still feel very strongly about Arsenal Football Club and following positive talks with the Manager, I am looking forward to working hard to regain full fitness and doing my very best to help to the team and the Manager fulfil our objectives and ambitions this season.

I've learnt a lot from my loan experiences at Sunderland and Juventus and I want to assure all Arsenal fans that I will give everything I have to contribute to what I believe will be a successful season for the club

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice to see a top player make a decision that wasn't about money if that's true.

Germans i find are typically very grounded players. They play with such a sense of national pride when lining out for the national team that you almost get a sense of international duty giving them that extra 10% in their performance. And all the German players are such a United bunch no matter what walk of life they came from. Compare to France for example or Holland also famous for their infighting....and even England we're talking a different class of footballer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Fair play Bendtner.
    He can do his talking on the pitch now.

I want to assure all Arsenal fans that I will give everything I have to contribute to what I believe will be a successful season for the club

-

It's no secret that Arsenal and myself had agreed that I could leave the club during the 2013 summer transfer window subject to an agreement between all parties.

An agreement had been reached with more than one club this week but as Arsenal were unable to secure the services of another striker, they reserved their right to not sanction any deal to be concluded...

Naturally, I was very disappointed as I was looking forward to a new challenge, with a new club and a fresh start in English football.

Many things have been said about my where my future lies after many years at Arsenal; the truth is I just want to play football which is when I'm happiest and Arsenal is a fantsstic environment for any professional to apply their trade. I still feel very strongly about Arsenal Football Club and following positive talks with the Manager, I am looking forward to working hard to regain full fitness and doing my very best to help to the team and the Manager fulfil our objectives and ambitions this season.

I've learnt a lot from my loan experiences at Sunderland and Juventus and I want to assure all Arsenal fans that I will give everything I have to contribute to what I believe will be a successful season for the club

Fair play to Bendy Boots i suppose.

Shows that there is something to be harnessed there. Perhaps the delusions of grandeur are slowly but surely being whittled away? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Am I the only one who kinda likes NB52?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who kinda likes NB52?

Yeah, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Dislike Bendtner but fair enough if he follows through on that.

As maligned as he was; keeping Gervinho might not have been a bad thing until we got someone else in. He could do a job up front (Southampton @ home comes to mind) when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

-

There's a massive chance here for Bendtner to raise his stock a bit. He's stunk the last few years but you can see from his international performances that it's more about effort than talent.

Hopefully the Crystal Palace thing scared him a bit because if he has any footballing ambition he should be worried about going from Arsenal to relegation candidates. Maybe it'll be enough for him to start applying himself. Not with a view towards staying because i don't think he will but he has a huge opportunity here that he really really doesn't derserve.

Hopefully he's not too stupid to pass it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Just posted this in another thread but curious for any arsenal perspective, reading are in talks with Mohamed Sissokho, formerly of Liverpool an juventus. Not sure if he is a DMF but in surprised a bigger club didn't in come in for him. 28 years old and had his psg contract terminated yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

darego wrote: »
    you are a bit more upbeat today :P

After the whole new striker debacle, Today's a new day and this is where the season begins for me. Time to get behind the team and I think we are very strong. so it all looks great let's hope Giroud doesn't get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This is how I want to see Ozil strip out for Germany v Austria and the Faroes in the next 2 games :o

x1a9hx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

pandaboy wrote: »
    Put Arteta in for Ramsey, same position he played his first season and Flamini in the CDM with Ozil on top. Now watch the pass ratio increase. Arteta was a great attacker and is more used to the CM role. He can switch with Flamini, plus there's the option of bringing Ramsey off the bench. It would be a much more mature midfield I think, and would love to have something like that.

Ramsey has been our best player by a mile in the middle this season and the end of last, dropping him would be mad.

Arteta is a little of the pace now I feel for that role sitting deep and connecting back to middle suits him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hopefully he has a Flamini esque final season to put himself in the shop window.

cson wrote: »
    Dislike Bendtner but fair enough if he follows through on that.

As maligned as he was; keeping Gervinho might not have been a bad thing until we got someone else in. He could do a job up front (Southampton @ home comes to mind) when needed.

But...

Gervinho to Roma --> Lamela to Spurs --> Bale to Madrid --> Ozil to Arsenal!

Fair play to Bentner. There is a decent player there somewhere. Hopefully (for our sake) he can find some kind of form. At one stage he was scoring regularly as a back up for us. No reason he cant do it again

Holy f*ck......50 pages of posts since yesterday :eek: We'll be hitting Superthread number 4 of 2013 by Friday at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Interesting statement by NB. Was he advised to do it? Despite being a bit of a knob, he is a decent striker be could do a job if we're stuck between now and January. I would still play OG, Pod (if fit), Theo or false 9 formation ahead of him though!

There was no chance of it happening, but is have loved to see King Eboue return to us yesterday!

• Advertisement

Interesting statement by NB. Was he advised to do it? Despite being a bit of a knob, he is a decent striker be could do a job if we're stuck between now and January. I would still play OG, Pod (if fit), Theo or false 9 formation ahead of him though!

There was no chance of it happening, but is have loved to see King Eboue return to us yesterday!

Even as a Jester to keep Ozil happy and entertained!!! :D Was he actually linked????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement