Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DenMan wrote: »
    Be interesting to see what team Chelsea put out tonight in the League Cup against Sunderland! Ba will start I'm sure!

I'd say Eto'o will start, he hasnt started a lot recently, with good reason, he was beyond useless against Stoke when he came on.

I reckon it will be Eto'o from the start and Ba on the bench.

This will be our team i reckon.

Schwarzer
    Azp Luiz JT Cole
    Mikel Lamps
    De Bruyne Oscar Schurrle
    Eto'o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

An interesting positive from the last day was the deployment of Walcott on the left for the second half. Always felt it was something we would see more of as given he is right footed I think it really gives him a better chance with his finishing as it opens up more of the goal to him. I hope we see more of him on the left for some games and working with Ozil to put him in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If Özil and Walcott click like we all know is possible then it could be an extremely potent attacking force. We have no one better equipped to get in behind the opposition and latch onto through balls than Theo. Its what I'm most looking forward to.

So Jack's out for Chelsea after receiving a ban and a fine for his middle finger salute.

I have no problem with that. A spell on the sidelines might be what he needs. Hasn't been very good the last while.

So Jack's out for Chelsea after receiving a ban and a fine for his middle finger salute.

I have no problem with that. A spell on the sidelines might be what he needs. Hasn't been very good the last while.

Agreed. I thought he was extremely poor the last day. I know he was directly at fault for 1 goal and culpable for another but it was passing and control at times that was really frustrating. He is off the boil.

I think this suits us on Monday. Cazorla or Rosicky can come in now and I think on form and at present these are better options than Jack at the moment.

Looks like Kos is also out after getting 10 stitches. L'EQuipe are saying he'll be back for West Ham.

Still a blow. Really need to pick up another CB in Jan I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looks like Kos is also out after getting 10 stitches. L'EQuipe are saying he'll be back for West Ham.

That is a massive blow if true.
    It would make it very hard to get anything from this game and that might effect any ambitions we have of winning the league. If we lose this we have only 1 point from 9 in the last three games. Not title winning form imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just reading the newsletter there
    On the pitch…

Arsenal qualified for the last 16 of the Champions League despite a 2-0 defeat to Napoli, and they stayed top of the Premier League following a 6-3 defeat to Manchester City. The under-19s qualified for the last 16 of the Youth League as group winners despite a 2-1 defeat at Napoli. The under-18s drew 1-1 away to Leicester City but remain bottom of the Premier Academy League. On-loan midfielder Chuks Aneke scored to secure League One strugglers Crewe a point at Coventry City while Anthony Jeffrey got on the scoresheet for Boreham Wood.

Off the pitch...

Arsenal have drawn last season's winners Bayern Munich in the last 16 of the Champions League for the second year running. The Club announced an increase in ticket prices for the 2014/15 season. Arsenal also launched an investigation into the problems travelling fans had in Napoli. Exclusive signed merchandise can now be purchased after the launch of the new Signature collection. Finally, the under-21s’ league fixture against Leicester City was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Hasn't exactly been sunshine and rainbows over the past week for the club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm looking forward to seeing vermaelen play his heart out trying to win his place back.
    I don't think he'll keep his place mind you, but he'll give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Deal!!

I totally thought his knee was gone when he left the pitch the other day. 1 game rest is fine.

Chelsea will be a really interesting game. Kos or no Kos, our defence should be fairly solid. I'm getting hope from the fact they've no decent cf's.

If they had a Higuain or an Ageuro, I'd be far more worried.

Start Flamini, Arteta, Rambo and make sure they all do a decent job tracking midfielders.

Ozil, Walcott to create the chance or two.

Giroud to boss Terry and help us defend from set pieces.

Verm to score from a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Two wins and a draw from the next 3 games (challenging but realistic), and we will be top exactly halfway through the season (unless Pool manage to win at both City and Chelsea - not only challenging, surely unrealistic!).

Who would have predicted that after the first game of the season. Always good to keep some perspective!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Extra time for Chelsea. I know most of them wont play on Monday but every little helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Extra time for Chelsea. I know most of them wont play on Monday but every little helps.

6 days away they probably win and give them nice boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

One significant plane journey:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Been away from boards last few days didn't see much of the City game but shocking result really knew it would be tough but didn't expect that really need to give a performance against Chelsea now given our last 3 results we need to try get some momentum going again and can't afford to loose to another challenger.

On Munich I'm happy with the draw a game against Munich much more than a game against Olympiacos or the likes ever would and that what Champions League football is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

6 days away they probably win and give them nice boost

And what does that loss do to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No team should be afraid of Chelsea, they are a soft team if you can get at them.

That's how you play the big teams.
    Tigerish tackling and keeping the man on the ball under immense pressure.
    Sunderland stopped them playing their passing game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dunno but we really have to go for it, they are beatable.

• Advertisement

If ye dont beat us at the Emirates I'd very surprised.

I'll call it, we'll play well look good for about 30 mins and fail to score and get punished.

Story of our season so far and this is against the lesser teams so going to the Emirates will be a huge task that mentally I dont think this team is good enough to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GavRedKing wrote: »

I'll call it, we'll play well look good for about 30 mins and fail to score and get punished.

Story of our season so far and this is against the lesser teams so going to the Emirates will be a huge task that mentally I dont think this team is good enough to pass.
    I think its impossible to call atm, Arsenal have been hit and miss versus the good teams. From good against Napoli, Pool, Dortmund x 2 (imo), to poor vs United, City and Napoli x1. Indifferent with the Spurs and Everton games. The more I think about this one the more difficult it is to call.

Calling us good is doing us a favour, we've traveled terribly bad this season and I cant see it changing on Monday night, I'd love for it to change but I just cant see past an Arseal win the way we're playing, I'd take the Arsenal loss if we can beat Liverpool after Christmas at home.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Don't be at it now Gav.:D

Hopefully Walcott will do well against Chelsea or at least create loads of space for others.

They'll have to go...

Ivan, Cahill, Terry, Cole

which is a fairly slow back four.

So if Wally keeps them deep, then there should at least be room for the midfielders.

I reckon Luiz will start against Arsenal and Cahill will be axed which presents its own problems, Luiz is very rash and gives away a lot of fouls

Cole looked stuffed tonight and Azpilicueta went off injured.

Good read on Arseblog today about the Thiery Henry Documentary:
    http://news.arseblog.com/2013/12/thierry-henry-legend-screening/

This part got me:
    There’s a delightful section in the documentary when Henry explains his celebration at the final whistle when the Gunners confirmed their title win at White Hart Lane in 2004. Security had explained to the players prior to the game that they ought not to celebrate should the inevitable happen and Arsenal seal the league title. Henry explains that it was an agreement he and his teammates were perfectly willing to adhere to until Spurs’ injury time equaliser when he saw “Taricco jumping up and down so much he got cramp.”

Here's the highlights so you can all be reminded about what he was talking about :D

(Great way to start the day!)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I remember that game well (who doesn't) and I also remember Arsenal saying they wouldn't celebrate on the pitch after the game if they won the league. Spurs were asking for it though, their fans and players went nuts like they'd just won the world cup (I believe that's a quote from Henry). Arsenal decided to step back out onto the pitch after full time to remind everyone who'd just won the league. Damn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I look at that video and im reminded why i hate Robbie Keane & Jamie Redknapp so much !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Hard to hate Robbie in fairness, Redknapp's a tool though alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Hard to hate Robbie in fairness, Redknapp's a tool though alright.

Henry and Gary Neville mocking the s**t out of Redknapp

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/12/thierry-henry-and-gary-neville-team-up-to-mock-jamie-redknapp-on-live-tv-4227872/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On the Chelsea match, if we dont beat them at home ill be gutted and will get the feeling that the team hasnt turned the corner yet in terms of having the balls to beat the big 3 ie. Utd, City and Chelsea. If we win it will be a massive 3 points and will give the team huge confidence going into the christmas fixtures.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The way Chelsea are playing this is our best chance to end the Mourinho voodoo sign he has over Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Apologies if this has been covered but have we got confirmation on the duration of Kos' injury?

Apologies if this has been covered but have we got confirmation on the duration of Kos' injury?

according to the latest reports he is due to miss the Chelsea game and be back on Stephens Day against West Ham

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

wawaman wrote: »
    according to the latest reports he is due to miss the Chelsea game and be back on Stephens Day against West Ham

so just a deep cut then? barry glendenning of the grauniad's mbm thought it looked like a season ender...

so just a deep cut then? barry glendenning of the grauniad's mbm thought it looked like a season ender...

When it happened first i think alot of people thought it might have been ligaments, so luckily for us it just turned out to be a deep cut !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    The way Chelsea are playing this is our best chance to end the Mourinho voodoo sign he has over Wenger.

no chance. i almost guarantee you we will lose/draw that match.

I have a feeling that we will repeat the result of this fixture 3 years ago around the same time at the Emirates. 3-1 and a good performance. Im goin all out positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If we play to our strengths I think we'll beat them, we're a more balanced team for me and those poor results they've been having are happening too often against all kinds of opposition for us to be afraid of them.

They've an ageing defence and their striker situation is worse than ours, they've an attack minded midfield but so do we, I'd like to think we've the best attack minded midfield in the league.

No fear. 3-1 Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

the only fear I have is if:
    1) he brings back Drogba for the match. Drogba scares me.
    or
    2) Mou goes on the defensive, Chelsea have tonnes of quality and if they decide to stifle a game they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What does everyone make of the costa rumours? would be some signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    What does everyone make of the costa rumours? would be some signing

Would be great bit of business but i can't see why he would want to leave Athletico. They have a good thing going over there.

We're top of the world's richest league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

gosplan wrote: »
    We're top of the world's richest league.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

arsenal/wilshere are appealing the 2 match ban but accepted the charge (the finger incident)
    being heard on thursday

shano_88 wrote: »
    Link?

Common knowledge no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

shano_88 wrote: »
    Link?

I think he means we're top of the Premier League, as opposed to the richest club in the world.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement