Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ya mean Liverpool can demand a higher fee for Suarez now

He will never play for arsenal . So need to worry about the fee we get when he is sold .

Apparently theres no buyout for British clubs they will need to agree a fee with Liverpool and release clause of £90M with reductions if not in CL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He will never play for arsenal . So need to worry about the fee we get when he is sold .

Apparently theres no buyout for British clubs they will need to agree a fee with Liverpool and release clause of £90M with reductions if not in CL

Was wondering how long it would take to get a bite

Too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Was wondering how long it would take to get a bite

Too easy

I will never understand Liverpool fans outrage at us trying to sign him, imagine trying to sign a player, how dare we.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I don't know about that Toure has always reminded me of Vieira with his bursting runs from inside his own half and the way he can grab a game by the scruff of the neck a player I have always said I would love in an Arsenal jersey.

I don't know hard to compare but I reckon he is on a par with both just nostalgia clouds most peoples judgement. He is a fantastic player on his day.

Exactly plus his voice annoys me.

He has a little wizened, old man voice, with a slight whistle in it. So annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I will never understand Liverpool fans outrage at us trying to sign him, imagine trying to sign a player, how dare we.

I would guess they think of Arsenal as their equal, or even a smaller club than Liverpool. Their best player moving to Arsenal would compound the fact that at the time Arsenal were ahead of them in the pecking order, and they didn't like that. Like van Persie and United really, except Arsenal fans chose to get pissy with the player who requested the move rather than the club who had the audacity to try and sign the best player in the league.

They dug their heals in, he stayed, he's signed a new deal and if he does go they'll get a huge fee for him. Fair play to them, would love to have seen Arsenal do that with more of their players over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

If you want an honest answer it was the cheek of the bid 40 million plus 1 pound that annoyed Liverpool fans the most about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I would guess they think of Arsenal as their equal, or even a smaller club than Liverpool. Their best player moving to Arsenal would compound the fact that at the time Arsenal were ahead of them in the pecking order, and they didn't like that. Like van Persie and United really, except Arsenal fans chose to get pissy with the player who requested the move rather than the club who had the audacity to try and sign the best player in the league.

They dug their heals in, he stayed, he's signed a new deal and if he does go they'll get a huge fee for him. Fair play to them, would love to have seen Arsenal do that with more of their players over the years.

Why would a player sign a new deal just so his current club can get a higher fee when he is sold? Surely if he wants out then this deal would be a more a hindrance to him getting what he wants in the future.

Paleface wrote: »
    Why would a player sign a new deal just so his current club can get a higher fee when he is sold? Surely if he wants out then this deal would be a more a hindrance to him getting what he wants in the future.

When did I say he wanted out? He signed the deal because he got a massive raise, Liverpool gave him the raise to sure up his short to medium term future. If he does decide he wants out somewhere down the line then Liverpool are in a much better position.

If you want an honest answer it was the cheek of the bid 40 million plus 1 pound that annoyed Liverpool fans the most about it .

But why? Why overpay for something it makes no sense.

Its simple simple common sense.

Arsenal act on misinformation about a release clause that didn't exist. The cheek of that evil club, how dare they. Luis Suarez tries to force his way out of the club and move to a direct rival. A few weeks later all is forgiven. Arsenal still evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah for FFS not this shiite again :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

When did I say he wanted out? He signed the deal because he got a massive raise, Liverpool gave him the raise to sure up his short to medium term future. If he does decide he wants out somewhere down the line then Liverpool are in a much better position.

You said Arsenal should have done the same with their players in the past. Do you think those players who had only one to two years left on their contracts would have signed new deals if Arsenal had dug their heels in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Paleface wrote: »
    You said Arsenal should have done the same with their players in the past. Do you think those players who had only one to two years left on their contracts would have signed new deals if Arsenal had dug their heels in?

offerr 200k to nasri and rvp and they would have stayed put

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Nasri was never in a million years worth that kind of wedge. City are welcome to the little sh1t at that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

If given the option, I'd sell Nasri again. We got 25m for him, he isn't worth that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Pretty smart move from Liverpool.
    I think they know he's off in the summer but it'll crush any January transfer talk.

Off the top of my head Modric,Bale,Ronaldo and Thiago Silva all signed contract extensions and within 12 months they were off to a new club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Look at the house he has, all purchased from money he got for doing absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well if pool get CL football, and fair play to them if they do, he could well stay, he's the main man at a big club with a glorious history and they look like they're on the right track again. The only clubs he'd leave for would be real Madrid I'd say.
    Fair play to the board for backing Rodgers. We really should have stuck to our guns over rvp and gotten much much more for fabregas.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Fair play to the board for backing Rodgers. We really should have stuck to our guns over rvp and gotten much much more for fabregas.

The Fabregas deal still bothers me. Absolutely bent over for Barca on that one. When you see what kind of players are going for £30m these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And it works out more expensive to subscribe to both sky sports and BT.

So what is the point of adding more competition to view matches when all it does is increase the price for many?

What happens if another channel comes in and outbids and shows another selection of games? See where i am getting at.

this is redicolous and many are complaining. We much prefer if either BT or SKY monopolise the market as it works out cheaper!

Do you honestly think either of them care about you or I or anyone?

Sky have been out bidding everyone for 20 years upping the price as they went now they have met someone with deeper pockets and the price goes up again.

No point in just complaining... Stop paying.. I did

Sky have known for years people pay. BT know when they take the rights people will pay. Untill everyone stops paying it will never end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

The only way Suarez would have left in January is if Liverpool were in United's league position. Since they are doing so well, the new contract doesnt really change anything for us. He was never leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭handsfree

if he's trying to be funny he had succeeded, that's hilarious. I personally think he is.

if he's not then he is really weird.

Must win Monday, if not we could find ourselves in 4th, ughhh

Well used to it mate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Ah home for Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

But why? Why overpay for something it makes no sense.

Its simple simple common sense.

Overpay, for crying out loud 40m was far too small a price in the first place and then to increase it by 1 pound, i wonder why pool fans were annoyed, he is worth at least double that now btw;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Overpay, for crying out loud 40m was far too small a price in the first place and then to increase it by 1 pound, i wonder why pool fans were annoyed, he is worth at least double that now btw;)

Do we really need to go over this again?Overpay in that team Suarez had indicated that there was a 40m release clause in his contract.

shamrock55 wrote: »

Please educate yourself on the issue before you
    cry out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Pretty smart move from Liverpool.
    I think they know he's off in the summer but it'll crush any January transfer talk.

Off the top of my head Modric,Bale,Ronaldo and Thiago Silva all signed contract extensions and within 12 months they were off to a new club.

That's my take on it too. Although Liverpool are going well in the league there might well have been rumblings in Jan of Suarez trying to attract a bid or someone like PSG coming in, even if it was mostly bs it would have affected Liverpool's transfer policy.

The new contract won't see Suarez staying at Liverpool long-term in my opinion, he'll still be offski in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Nice video of Le Boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

TBF he has a lot of free time, having every weekend off and all that.

Not much talk of the game in here, anyone anyway optimistic we can go back top Monday?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I feel we missed a chance with Suarez - best player in the league by a mile now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Not much talk of the game in here, anyone anyway optimistic we can go back top Monday?

Think we can definitely, dont know if we will, depends how Mou sets them up, point wouldnt be worst thing in the world, with city, chelsea and liverpool playing each other after but think we need a win after the last three poor performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I feel we missed a chance with Suarez - best player in the league by a mile now.

Was there ever a chance? The only chance we had IMO was if the clause existed, which it didn't.

Missed a chance if we'd been prepared to pay 80 million or more, otherwise not. As soon as that clause was taken out his contract there was next to no chance of us getting him.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Think we can definitely, dont know if we will, depends how Mou sets them up, point wouldnt be worst thing in the world, with city, chelsea and liverpool playing each other after but think we need a win after the last three poor performances.

I'm confident we will pick up 3 points on Monday. Players well rested and with big point to prove. Right mental attitude and we will win.

The fact we are at home gives us a big advantage. CFC seem to be leaking goals more regulary and I fully expect us to take advantage of it.

3 points would be a great way to get into christmass swing.

• Advertisement

The fact we are at home gives us a big advantage. CFC seem to be leaking goals more regulary and I fully expact us to take advantage of it.

3 points would be a great way to get into christmass swing.

Big time, just feels a bit morbid lately, we have lost our swagger, really need to go out and prove we won't bottle it this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

greendom wrote: »
    Missed a chance if we'd been prepared to pay 80 million or more, otherwise not. As soon as that clause was taken out his contract there was next to no chance of us getting him.

I think somewhere north of 50m would have got him. He's the type of player we are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I am confident we will win. We have looked a bit ragged alright lately but I think there is character in this team and there are no excuses regarding being tired, etc.

I think Chelsea are very much a side in transition. They are not as good as their image or media image in terms of huge title challengers IMO.

I wonder will Mata play? I think above anyone he is the player we fear most despite the brilliant abilities of Hazard and Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I'm really hoping we'll really see Ozil shine now that Walcott and Podoloski are back.

That game against Sunderland he found Theo time and again but Theo couldn't put them anyway - he took his goals against City well so hopefully he can get on a good run of form. Ozil and Podolski will hopefully have some understanding from the national team - Pod and Theo should also take some of the pressure off Giroud as well.

We've a few options - Liverpool have only got going since Gerrard got injured and Suarez came back from his ban, Gerrard comes back into the side and something happens Suarez and those lads are in trouble. We've coped well with injury so far - my only worry for Monday is Vermaelen coming in for Koscielny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think somewhere north of 50m would have got him. He's the type of player we are missing

We needed him to put in a transfer request. Otherwise Liverpool were always going to hold out for Madrid or someone so Suarez couldn't hurt them as much. Selling to us was a last resort unless Suarez forced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm ridiculously confident about Monday

Dont no why though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Dont no why though

Maybe cos its Christmas? :D

Dont no why though

Your hardly 11 pubs into the 12 pubs of Christmas are ya?

Had a strange but nice dream last night that we absolutely ran amok at Old Trafford and beat them 5-1 (before you say i well know that game has come and gone and opportunity was missed). Most of our goals were like the Arsenal of old where we stormed up the pitch on the counter attack and obliterated them

Hoping its a premonition of sorts for Monday night and we do it to Chelsea instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Does anybody thing we will sign someone in January?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement