Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

I was optimistic with the start we had but the last few games remind me that we're still not up there and we're lacking real fighters to win dirty and mix it with flair we have when things are not going our way.

Jaysis. We played 3 tough games in 7 days. Drew against Chelsea. Lots of games to be played. Lets keep the chins up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Just a few thoughts...it's amazing the views people have on games!

From my perspective it was a fair result. We are all sitting back watching our massive tv's and not taking conditions into account, chatting to one of the lads that was at it and said never mind the rain the wind was just terrible! Terrible conditions. We need to put this in context and I think we will be top January 1st at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some deflating results over the last few weeks, some very poor performances, but look at it this way, we are level on points with the league leaders, we nearly have a fully fit squad and it's less than a week till the transfer window opens.

We need to be active in the transfer window however, definitely a striker, perhaps left winger too and center back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Last night wasn't a vintage performance or match but I siad a few weeks back if were still at least a point or two of top after this run of games I would be happy enough.

Were level on points have played all our toughest games for a while so happy days, still think we need to be on the hunt for a top class CF in January but realise pulling off a signing like that in January is really tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

cant believe more shots werent taken in those conditions given how difficult it would have been for the keepers with the wind and rain taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-vs-chelsea-jose-mourinho-2957252

Jose calling us whingers and saying it's the club's tradition, really sick of him at this stage, he really thinks he is a god and can say or do what he likes.

Thought Ozil was good last night, but Santo has suffered as a result of his arrival. Means him and Jack have been pushed out wide.

Kind of unsettled the midfield a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still bulling about the pen call

If we scored that they would have to come out and play and it would have been a different game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-vs-chelsea-jose-mourinho-2957252

Jose calling us whingers and saying it's the club's tradition, really sick of him at this stage, he really thinks he is a god and can say or do what he likes.

We haven't beaten him in 10 games.
    We should have been going for the jugular from the off and ramming those words (not the first time he's said that) down his throat. But we didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Still bulling about the pen call

If we scored that they would have to come out and play and it would have been a different game

Missed the 2nd half myself, woke up to read the reaction and there's been **** all about the penalty, which was stonewall. Its 2013, that's a clear as day penalty.

Also you can talk about red cards all you want but its the lack of yellows that kill us. Everton, United and Chelsea have all come to The Emirates and committed tons of fouls only to find a ref unwilling to give cards in a big game. That allowed them to foul us even more, killing any rhythm.

And I think people are aware of my thoughts on Giroud at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It was a penalty all day long and Dean can go to fcuk once again with his officiating.

It was one of those games where a penalty decision decides the game and we didn't get the call we deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

With the win% record we have when he is reffing i cant believe that it is just coincidence. He came across as a guy on an ego trip (most refs do in fairness)last night with his demenour when making decisions. Id say if Arteta had made the same challenge on Obi Wan Mikel then it would have been a different story and Maureen would have been crying to the ref and press. God i hate that guy

wawaman wrote: »
    With the win% record we have when he is reffing i cant believe that it is just coincidence. He came across as a guy on an ego trip (most refs do in fairness)last night with his demenour when making decisions. Id say if Arteta had made the same challenge on Obi Wan Mikel then it would have been a different story and Maureen would have been crying to the ref and press. God i hate that guy

Maureen or dean!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Maureen or dean!?

Ha ha both come to think of it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dont understand why refs wont give cards in big games, like neither Chelsea player was close to getting the ball and were in off there feet.
    Giroud should have tried lift it over Cech :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm a Giroud lover but he hasn't been able to take his chances the last while and it's hurting us.

HazDanz wrote: »
    It was a penalty all day long and Dean can go to fcuk once again with his officiating.

It was one of those games where a penalty decision decides the game and we didn't get the call we deserved.

I have been saying for years that referees do not give Arsenal fair play.
    I have been told by many that decisions even up throughout the season but I think that is just bull**** because they have not evened out in any other season.

Last night despite Chelsea fouling anytime we posed a threat, some of them dirty and cynical, Arsenal received 2 yellow cards and Chelsea only 1. We were denied a penalty that I believe Dean would have awarded in our penalty box too.

I have been saying for years that referees do not give Arsenal fair play.
    I have been told by many that decisions even up throughout the season but I think that is just bull**** because they have not evened out in any other season.

Last night despite Chelsea fouling anytime we posed a threat, some of them dirty and cynical, Arsenal received 2 yellow cards and Chelsea only 1. We were denied a penalty that I believe Dean would have awarded in our penalty box too.

Was gonna post that we ended up with more yellow cards wtf like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

In the last few seasons haven't we been poor enough around Nov/Dec and then having to play catch up from January on - which we normally do by going on a great run? We've been poor enough the last few weeks, yet we're only off top spot thanks to Suarez truth be told, so instead of looking to get back into the Top 4 this season we're trying to get back on top of the league.

Apart from Aston Villa we've not dropped any silly points have we? I know we drew to WBA away but that was when they were going well enough. Liverpool have lost to Hull, Chelsea to Stoke, City to Cardiff etc., so yeah, there is a long way to go yet.

Look at them stats

Thats no coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Look at them stats

Thats no coincidence

Jasus that is shocking and it really can't be a coincidence but at the same time we shouldn't be relying on peno calls either to win us game all the time.

Jasus that is shocking and it really can't be a coincidence but at the same time we shouldn't be relying on peno calls either to win us game all the time.

We simply didn't play well enough to win last night.
    We should have attacked from the off.
    85 minutes before we had a shot on target is poor at home.
    Chelsea came for the draw and achieved it.
    If we had gone to Old Trafford for a draw would we have got it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Look at them stats

Thats no coincidence

the stats are outdated, they were outdated the last time they were posted & the time before that. Not that it makes much difference though :pac:

since 09/10 in the PL
    p18 w3 d6 l9 win%16.67

chelsea x 4
    man u x 3
    man city x 3
    tottenham x 2
    burnley, newcastle, fulham, qpr, wigan, stoke x 1

10 home and 8 away
    3 wins all at home vs. tottenham, wigan & stoke
    4 home draws vs chelsea x2, man city & fulham
    2 away draws vs burnley & man city

in the same period he's done 2 FA Cup games, w1 l1
    a 3-1 win away to leeds and the 1-0 home defeat to blackburn

2 league cup games l1 d1
    the final defeat against birmingham & the game vs bradford where they went out on pens.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/arsenal-fc/schiedsrichterdetail/verein_11_379.html

it's easier to blame Dean but the problems might be closer to home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Is it just me or did the rain f things up big time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jaafa wrote: »
    Is it just me or did the rain f things up big time?

The rain and wind definitely did effect the game. It made long balls way more difficult so wasn't really possible to switch play to help break through the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

The rain and wind definitely did effect the game. It made long balls way more difficult so wasn't really possible to switch play to help break through the bus

Yes I think that's been overlooked here. The conditions and wind in particular were appalling. Hard to be over critical. It was no surprise that there was no goals and probably suited Chelsea more.

Regarding referees, I don't go that route too much. In real time I think the penalty incident was dodgy, Walcott made the most of it. Being totally honest I would have been annoyed if Arteta was send off had he been in Mikel's position. It was 50/50 going for the ball. I know he was late but as I say I think a yellow would have sufficient too if the roles had been reversed. We should be top by New Years Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

batistuta9 wrote: »
    the stats are outdated, they were outdated the last time they were posted & the time before that. Not that it makes much difference though :pac:

since 09/10 in the PL
    p18 w3 d6 l9 win%16.67

chelsea x 4
    man u x 3
    man city x 3
    tottenham x 2
    burnley, newcastle, fulham, qpr, wigan, stoke x 1

10 home and 8 away
    3 wins all at home vs. tottenham, wigan & stoke
    4 home draws vs chelsea x2, man city & fulham
    2 away draws vs burnley & man city

in the same period he's done 2 FA Cup games, w1 l1
    a 3-1 win away to leeds and the 1-0 home defeat to blackburn

2 league cup games l1 d1
    the final defeat against birmingham & the game vs bradford where they went out on pens.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/arsenal-fc/schiedsrichterdetail/verein_11_379.html

it's easier to blame Dean but the problems might be closer to home

thats it really he covers most of our big games and tbh we just havent cut the mustard over the past few years.

Not sure if its the weight of expectancy but when we need to pull a result out of the bag in the PL against the top teams we cant. Clubs like Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle etc. do it regularily enough we get out points more consistently against the rest.

Anyway lads, it's after been an a good year in here
    Just wanna say I enjoy the debates and banter in here, and even if I don't agree with a lot of ye I love discussing and debating our different opinions, and that's what drives the place on so long may it last

So weather I agreed or disagreed with your points during the year,
    I wanna wish every poster that contributed to the thread a very happy Xmas to ye and yer family's and I hope ye have a brilliant holidays.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Gulliem Balague reckons Arsenal will go for Costa in January, but there is no chance of Costa leaving.
    Earliest Costa will leave for any club would be Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

HazDanz wrote: »

Dean clearly has a thing for Arsenal...... An absolute disgrace for a so called top flight referee, IMO. Red card for Michel and Walcott was a penalty. Arsenal should make a complaint to the FA.

• Advertisement

A very Happy Christmas to everyone. We'll be TOP going into the New Year :D

Top come Stephens Day :)

Merry Christmas Gooners! Thanks for all the craic in here!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah merry Christmas lads(and Maire)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Happy Christmas gooners! Oh to, oh to be.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Happy Christmas everyone, lets hope Santa gives us 3 points on Sunday to get things back on track again, oh and a World Class Striker in January as well ;)

dvemail wrote: »
    Gulliem Balague reckons Arsenal will go for Costa in January, but there is no chance of Costa leaving.
    Earliest Costa will leave for any club would be Summer.

He has a release fee doesn't he?

30m or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He has a release fee doesn't he?

30m or thereabouts

30,000,001 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BTW just read somewhere that Tim Sherwood has an Arsenal Tattoo, please tell me this is true :D

gandalf wrote: »
    BTW just read somewhere that Tim Sherwood has an Arsenal Tattoo, please tell me this is true :D

I heard him and his dad are Arsenal fans. Not sure about the tattoo bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gandalf wrote: »

On his upper arm and is the main reason he never wore short sleeves as a Spurs player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Merry Christmas lads! The Arsenal will be top by be years

We haven't beaten him in 10 games.
    We should have been going for the jugular from the off and ramming those words (not the first time he's said that) down his throat. But we didn't.

The most frustrating thing about it is that Chelsea are quite shít by their usual standards. In fact United impressed me more.
    Perhaps we are expecting miracles of Ramsey so soon and that is because big teams aside he is having the season of his life.
    I think Scourinho should be ignored. He is definitely worried. We spend money and tbf he won't be around to see us fly after that because he'll be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Remember lads a league title is forever not just for Xmas.

Happy Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Big 3 points tomorrow is a necessity! Merry Xmas lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

I hope Liverpool win tomorrow. Man City need to lose home games or else we're in trouble.

Swansea play some attractive football, but I reckon Chelsea will beat them comfortably.

As for West Ham, I agree with Raf32. They're 4th from bottom and we should win comfortably, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i wish wenger had 2 years on his contract instead of 1, we'll leave that here.

- i'd big a big big supporter of him as well, big big supporter but i don't see it happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Gonna miss todays game because of work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy Christmas guys! Feeling very confident about today! COYG :)

Today will be great or a disaster.

(The missus is a west ham fan!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bounce back against west ham and we are back on track. Consistency against the 'smaller' teams is key.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement