Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He does not make mistakes "fairly regularly". He has made fewer mistakes than almost any other keeper in the league, I would say.

Every keeper makes mistakes, don't give me that straw man ****e "are you saying he doesn't make mistakes", it's childish.

What's childish is to jump on someone who is stating facts.
    He made a howler today and not for the first time.
    How dare anyone point that out here as some of you only want to talk about the positives.
    He has made several mistakes and should have stopped more than one of City's 6 goals too.
    Straw man my a***.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

How dare anyone point that out here as some of you only want to talk about the positives.
    He has made several mistakes and should have stopped more than one of City's 6 goals too.
    Straw man my a***.

He is indeed not above very bad errors. Hart for Man City does the same, and a spell as a sub appears to work, to help in adjustment. Perhaps a period on the bench would work for Szczesny, if only we had someone to fill in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Straw man my a***.

Tayto can I ask you are you sure you are a Arsenal fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    He is indeed not above very bad errors. Hart for Man City does the same, and a spell as a sub appears to work, to help in adjustment. Perhaps a period on the bench would work for Szczesny, if only we had someone to fill in.

Oh stop, he's a young lad he will get rid of those mistakes over time. He's kept us in games like at Cardiff with wonderful saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Straw man my a***.

First time this season really. Which keeper in the league hasn't done that? Maybe De Gea, would have said Mignolet but lo and behold he made a clanger today. Won't find Liverpool fans howling for his head, and rightly so. Sczezney is perfectly fine so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mr.Micro wrote: »

Fabianski has looked ok when he had to play this season. No reason at all to replace Szez at the moment though - he's doing fine. Hart was taken out of the City team after making a series of costly mistakes. Something that has not happened with Szez.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Tayto can I ask you are you sure you are a Arsenal fan?

FFS I was following them before your ar** was the size of a shirt button sonny.

I will always however give my honest views on every game we play and not try and hide the bits that are not nice.

First time this season really. Which keeper in the league hasn't done that? Maybe De Gea, would have said Mignolet but lo and behold he made a clanger today. Won't find Liverpool fans howling for his head, and rightly so. Sczezney is perfectly fine so far.

Who howled for his head?

I want him to focus and not make silly errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Straw man my a***.
    You are not stating facts. If you said "he made a mistake today" and that was it, it would be a fact. You didn't. You implied that he was very error prone, which he isn't, and hasn't been at all this season. It was completely untrue, and that's why I jumped on you, as you put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We should drop Szcz of only we had someone to step in.

Is that seriously what people here are suggesting??

• Advertisement

Who howled for his head?

I want him to focus and not make silly errors.

He has been supremely focused this year. Doing very little in a match but still being switched on enough to make one or two world class saves that see us take three points.

You seem to have forgotten that.

You are not stating facts. If you said "he made a mistake today" and that was it, it would be a fact. You didn't. You implied that he was very error prone, which he isn't, and hasn't been at all this season. It was completely untrue, and that's why I jumped on you, as you put it.

He has been error prone but obviously not all season.
    I have seen him come for balls and miss his punch several times and should have stopped several that he let in.
    He is still the best keeper we have and has made several world class saves, if not Wenger would have replaced him.

I call things as I see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I can't understand the talk of dropping Szcz to be honest. There isn't a keeper in the world that isn't prone to the odd error, and these errors are usually highlighted largely because they lead to goals. We are extremely lucky to have one of the best young keepers in the world in my opinion. I sincerely hope he goes on to be our #1 for a long time to come.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can't understand the talk of dropping Szcz to be honest. There isn't a keeper in the world that isn't prone to the odd error, and these errors are usually highlighted largely because they lead to goals. We are extremely lucky to have one of the best young keepers in the world in my opinion. I sincerely hope he goes on to be our #1 for a long time to come.

I didn't see anyone wanting him dropped.

should have stopped several that he let in.

Which out of curiosity?

Aside from today obviously.

I didn't see anyone wanting him dropped.

Mr.Micro did in post #7953.

He has been error prone but obviously not all season.
    I have seen him come for balls and miss his punch several times and should have stopped several that he let in.
    He is still the best keeper we have and has made several world class saves, if not Wenger would have replaced him.

I call things as I see them.
    Then you need to get that prescription updated. Those lenses clearly don't work anymore.

gosplan wrote: »
    Which out of curiosity?

Aside from today obviously.

I think he should have saved 2 against City and one against Villa on the first day. An error or two in Europe as well. i was more annoyed with some of the outfield players in the City game to be honest.
    I am not going to watch every game again to find them for you but I make mental notes of mistakes in games.

Then you need to get that prescription updated. Those lenses clearly don't work anymore.

Your own might be rose-tinted :D

Hopefully this thing they call a squad will help us away at Newcastle.

By my reckoning Wilshire, Flamini, Pod are all properly rested. So is Kos if he comes in.

I think Giroud should be rested as well. He rarely does anything away from the Emirates and it seems especially unlikely with his current form.

Flamini
    Wilshire
    Walcott-Cazorla-Pod
    Bendtner

With Ozil and Rosicky to come on for Pod and Walcott when we're winning.

• Advertisement

I think he should have saved 2 against City and one against Villa on the first day. An error or two in Europe as well. i was more annoyed with some of the outfield players in the City game to be honest.
    I am not going to watch every game again to find them for you but I make mental notes of mistakes in games.

So he went 16 league games without letting in a silly goal but he's error prone and needs to focus.

I think you're focussing on today's negative and extrapolating something incorrect from it tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Come on man, he's been solid for the vast majority of games this season. Even today bar the error he made some important saves.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Come on man, he's been solid for the vast majority of games this season. Even today bar the error he made some important saves.

He still could have cost us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Chesney has been really really good this season. Our most improved player bar Rambo. Stats bear this out. One error today, but he's made crucial crucial stops, and down the stretch last season also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Any opinions on Antoine Griezmann.. Im seeing allot of rumors of a possible transfer to arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Any opinions on Antoine Griezmann.. Im seeing allot of rumors of a possible transfer to arsenal.

Great little player, would cost a fair bit though and I'd rather a striker of some sort. Wouldn't say no if push came to shove.

Great little player, would cost a fair bit though and I'd rather a striker of some sort. Wouldn't say no if push came to shove.

I have to say I'd find it a little amusing if Wenger decides what we really need is another attacking midfielder.

Especially if it works, which it very well could :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Straw man my a***.

Jeez Tayto I am not long on this board and I like what ya say at times but this 'crisis' over Ches is ridiculous! He has been brilliant for us-absolutely fantastic and as others have pointed out the stats back it up.

Also I think his attitude and character have contributed significantly to the spirit and character of this team. He is the one reason we came away from Cardiff and Palace with points. Name the mistakes he has made this year?

The City game:

Aguero - No chance
    Negredo - Ditto
    Fernandinho- Same
    Silva - No Hope
    Fernandinho - see Fernandinho again - same
    Penalty.

Which one should he have stopped?

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen the Arsenal Legends: Thierry Henry document? Is it any good? It's only on the UK itunes which is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Chez has been emmense this season, 1 mistake and some on here are all over him, thankfully ye aren't around the team! Talk about half glass empty. He had no chance for any of the 6 against City.

Some rotation for Newcastle game required, Bendtner, Wilshere and Flamini for starts perhaps. Great to have Poldi back, the man knows how to score. Hopefully Newcastle will be a little overconfident after scoring 5 yesterday.

Chez
    Sagna Mert Verm Gibbs
    Flamini
    Walcott Cazorla Wilshere Ozil
    Bendtner

I am assuming Poldi isnt fit enough to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Chez has been emmense this season, 1 mistake and some on here are all over him, thankfully ye aren't around the team! Talk about half glass empty. He had no chance for any of the 6 against City.

Some rotation for Newcastle game required, Bendtner, Wilshere and Flamini for starts perhaps. Great to have Poldi back, the man knows how to score. Hopefully Newcastle will be a little overconfident after scoring 5 yesterday.

Chez
    Sagna Mert Verm Gibbs
    Flamini
    Walcott Cazorla Wilshere Ozil
    Bendtner

I am assuming Poldi isnt fit enough to start.

Cannot underestimate this Newcastle team, think we need Giroud to start this match instead.
    A win on Sunday would cap off a great year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Giroud has only scored in 1 of his last 9 league games, it should be a dropping rather than a resting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

AdamD wrote: »
    Giroud has only scored in 1 of his last 9 league games, it should be a dropping rather than a resting imo.

But he is an integral cog in our machine. Not saying he shouldn't be putting away some of those chances but his hold up play is second to none. With Theo back our midfield/wide players should get up in support of him quicker. I know he is there to score, but his all-round play has been great and his work rate all season cannot be faulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Nobody can fault Giroud's effort, but going through the season playing him week in, week out isnt a runner either. He looks tired and a game on the bench could be good for him. Lone striker ia a tough physical position. Is there much of a difference between an out of form Giroud and Bendtner? Probably not a lot.

• Advertisement

Whats really up with Frimpong lads? Has he become a Michael Johnson of sorts?

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Nobody can fault Giroud's effort, but going through the season playing him week in, week out isnt a runner either. He looks tired and a game on the bench could be good for him Lone striker ia a tough physical position. Is there much of a difference between an out of form Giroud and Bendtner? .Probably not a lot.

Reading a bit of Zlatan's book there and it would seem Guardiola wanted him to play a sort of Giroud role if you like in order to accommodate Messi in the hole (or at least thats how Zlatan seen things).

Zlatan was adamant that a man of his weight could not do that much running for 90 mins. I felt he had a point in fairness to him and thats effectively what Wenger seems to expect from Giroud who is quite a big man himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Maire2009 wrote: »
    But he is an integral cog in our machine. Not saying he shouldn't be putting away some of those chances but his hold up play is second to none. With Theo back our midfield/wide players should get up in support of him quicker. I know he is there to score, but his all-round play has been great and his work rate all season cannot be faulted.

No one can say his hold up or work rate is bad. It's top notch, but we need a striker who scores goals too.

I hate saying it cause I like him as a player and he really does put in a shift but we need someone better if we seriously want to win the league.

jonny666 wrote: »
    No one can say his hold up or work rate is bad. It's top notch, but we need a striker who scores goals too.

I hate saying it cause I like him as a player and he really does put in a shift but we need someone better if we seriously want to win the league.

I just don't think dropping him for Bendtner is an option - not even sure Podolski could do the hold up play he does. Buying would be brilliant - if we'd bloody got Suarez, he'd have worked perfect with Giroud and we'd be so far out of sight now :(

Ah well tis good craic this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hard to believe Arteta made his 100th appearance for Arsenal yesterday! Where has the time gone! :eek: Well done Mikel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

DenMan wrote: »
    Hard to believe Arteta made his 100th appearance for Arsenal yesterday! Where has the time gone! :eek: Well done Mikel.

Wow! I remember being away for work on deadline day, sitting in bed with the laptop constantly refreshing skysports news and the boards arsenal thread waiting for the confirmation. Seems like yesterday.

So, with Christmas optimisim to the fore, who's the best striker we could land in Jan given that Suarez would be impossible now.

Someone five me a top five or something to dream of.

So, with Christmas optimisim to the fore, who's the best striker we could land in Jan given that Suarez would be impossible now.

1. Lewandowski
    2. Costa
    3. Benzema

Not that I think we'll get any of those, but the first two are at least theoretically possible.

Lewandowski is leaving this summer, probably to Bayern, but if we blow the bank who knows?

Costa has a release clause, but probably wouldn't want to join us, I'd guess.

Benzema, I've no idea really. He was touted as possible a few times by some news outlets.

Diego Costa
    Robert Lewandowski (seems him to Bayern isn't a done deal)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi
    Benzema

Also rumoured to be on the move (but probably contingent on Lewandowski moving) is Mandzukic from Bayern, with Juve the destination. An excellent player. They might not sell to us given the Champions League draw, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Diego Costa
    Robert Lewandowski (seems him to Bayern isn't a done deal)
    Ezequiel Lavezzi
    Benzema

Lavezzi isn't really a striker though is he?

I don't think we're going to be getting a top notch striker in January unfortunately

Lavezzi isn't really a striker though is he?

I don't think we're going to be getting a top notch striker in January unfortunately

Not an out and out striker no, roams in off the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

1. Lewandowski
    2. Costa
    3. Benzema

Not that I think we'll get any of those, but the first two are at least theoretically possible.

Lewandowski is leaving this summer, probably to Bayern, but if we blow the bank who knows?

Costa has a release clause, but probably wouldn't want to join us, I'd guess.

Benzema, I've no idea really. He was touted as possible a few times by some news outlets.

Lewandowski: Not much chance of him leaving before the summer. Dortmund cannot afford to lose anymore players since there already down to the bare bones.

Costa: Rumour has it that he has a €30M buyout clause and I do think we're more of a attractive club than Atletico. It would still be difficult to pull off.

Benzema: Since he's there only Striker par Morata he ain't going anywhere. Benzema will only become available if they land Suarez.

I personally wouldn't mind Remy but I don't know if you can sign a player thats currently loaned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Lewandowski: Not much chance of him leaving before the summer. Dortmund cannot afford to lose anymore players since there already down to the bare bones.

Costa: Rumour has it that he has a €30M buyout clause and I do think we're more of a attractive club than Atletico. It would still be difficult to pull off.

Benzema: Since he's there only Striker par Morata he ain't going anywhere. Benzema will only become available if they land Suarez.

I personally wouldn't mind Remy but I don't know if you can sign a player thats currently loaned out.

Same as. There is something of the Thierry Henry about him (I know I know I am not saying same level).

There is no speculation about him so I think you may be right that his loan is permanent for the season unfortunately.

Mackay sacked by Cardiff - really don't know what Kroenke does at our club but he doesn't interfere too much with Wenger and on the field stuff which I'm grateful for.

Tan has ruined that club - changing the colour, the badge... ugh!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement