Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Not to mention he looks like a James bond villain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wenger now been in charge longer than the other 19 managers combined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Newcastle are going to be a serious test, they've beaten united, spurs and Chelsea this season and are currently in great form. This won't be easy!

Crazy state about Wenger ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Also rumoured to be on the move (but probably contingent on Lewandowski moving) is Mandzukic from Bayern, with Juve the destination. An excellent player. They might not sell to us given the Champions League draw, though.

He wouldn't be eligible to play for us in the Champions League anyway so that wouldn't be a problem.

I'd say if we do get somebody this January it will be somebody nobody has mentioned. Jackson Martinez from Porto is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Newcastle are going to be a serious test, they've beaten united, spurs and Chelsea this season and are currently in great form. This won't be easy!

Crazy state about Wenger ^^

Playing well but always liable to implode at any time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

slingerz wrote: »
    Playing well but always liable to implode at any time

Just like us so, 4-4 still gives me nightmares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 13 (8)
    Giroud 10 (7)
    Walcott 5 (4)
    Ozil 5 (4)
    Wilshere 4 (2)
    Podolski 3 (3)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 1 (1)
    Flamini 1 (1)
    Cazorla 1 (1)
    Arteta 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

How many will be in double digits by the season's end? I'm thinking 5 (Ramsey, Giroud, Theo, Podolski and Ozil)

Who will finish top scorer this season?
    I reckon Walcott will do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

dvemail wrote: »
    Who will finish top scorer this season?
    I reckon Walcott will do it again.

Giroud for me. He'll come good again! Great to see Theo scoring that's for sure!

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Giroud for me. He'll come good again! Great to see Theo scoring that's for sure!

Hope your right, it should be Giroud that tops the list. Just needs to get his confidence back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Just like us so, 4-4 still gives me nightmares.

We haven't done that in a while tbf.

Cabaye seems to be the main man for them, Flamini to shackle him. They are playing well but we should beat them, Stoke were the better team until Whealan and Wilson walked.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    We haven't done that in a while tbf.

Cabaye seems to be the main man for them, Flamini to shackle him. They are playing well but we should beat them, Stoke were the better team until Whealan and Wilson walked.

Not to mention a somewhat lucky and contentious equaliser.
    We should have what it takes to beat them, but, as we all know too well, things are rarely that straight forward. I'm hoping that coming from behind and bagging 3 goals to reclaim the top of the league will re-instill that confidence which the team seemed to have been lacking over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whats really up with Frimpong lads? Has he become a Michael Johnson of sorts?

He was a good player but a bit of a loose cannon with his tackling and liable for injury or cards. I liked him though as he gave 100%. I think the injuries have taken their toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Reading a bit of Zlatan's book there and it would seem Guardiola wanted him to play a sort of Giroud role if you like in order to accommodate Messi in the hole (or at least thats how Zlatan seen things).

Zlatan was adamant that a man of his weight could not do that much running for 90 mins. I felt he had a point in fairness to him and thats effectively what Wenger seems to expect from Giroud who is quite a big man himself

spot on

Chez has been emmense this season, 1 mistake and some on here are all over him, thankfully ye aren't around the team! Talk about half glass empty. He had no chance for any of the 6 against City.

Ok.
    I am not all over him at all. He is the best we have and I want him to continue his improvement. I think he makes mistakes though, not just one.
    In the City game I think he could have stopped the second goal and he didn't need to give away the penalty as I felt the striker had touched it too far ahead of him. That's my opinion. you and others are entitled to yours
    I think he could and should have saved the Everton goal too and even though there was lots of power in the shot it went just over his head and through his hands BUT I would put more blame on Gibbs for allowing the striker to get the shot in as I stated in the match thread.
    Then was it against Chelsea? he tried to chip the ball over the head of a striker and failed which could have led to a goal but luckily didn't. I have seen him flap at balls too in our European games.

He is making progress and I don't want him dropped as again he is the best we have and will get better. I praise him regularly on here on match threads for fine saves. Nobody is above criticism in my view though and I always speak my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Chez has been emmense this season, 1 mistake and some on here are all over him, thankfully ye aren't around the team! Talk about half glass empty. He had no chance for any of the 6 against City.

Ok.
    I am not all over him at all. He is the best we have and I want him to continue his improvement. I think he makes mistakes though, not just one.
    In the City game I think he could have stopped the second goal and he didn't need to give away the penalty as I felt the striker had touched it too far ahead of him. That's my opinion. you and others are entitled to yours
    I think he could and should have saved the Everton goal too and even though there was lots of power in the shot it went just over his head and through his hands BUT I would put more blame on Gibbs for allowing the striker to get the shot in as I stated in the match thread.
    Then was it against Chelsea? he tried to chip the ball over the head of a striker and failed which could have led to a goal but luckily didn't. I have seen him flap at balls too in our European games.

He is making progress and I don't want him dropped as again he is the best we have and will get better. I praise him regularly on here on match threads for fine saves. Nobody is above criticism in my view though and I always speak my mind.

I agree Schenzy is a good goalie but still feel if we signed Casillas as out No 1 this season we'd be a much stronger proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I agree Schenzy is a good goalie but still feel if we signed Casillas as out No 1 this season we'd be a much stronger proposition.

How? When has Szcz cost us points?

Quazzie wrote: »

How? When has Szcz cost us points?

Never said he did, just feel a goalie who captained his country to a world cup win would give confidence to everyone in our team and push Szcz to a be a better keeper.

Never said he did, just feel a goalie who captained his country to a world cup win would give confidence to everyone in our team and push Szcz to a be a better keeper.

But you stated we'd be in a better position that we are now. How? How would Casillas have gotten us more points and improved our position like you stated?

But you stated we'd be in a better position that we are now. How? How would Casillas have gotten us more points and improved our position like you stated?

Stopped some goals going in.

• Advertisement

Stopped some goals going in.

So you reckon that the goals we have conceded that were Szcz's fault haven't cost us points so how would we better off with a better keeper that wouldn't have conceded them? I agree with saying Szcz has cost us some goals this year, but they were mostly unimportant goals and made no difference to the outcome of the game.

Casillas isn't infallible either by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Great to be back on top of the league Newcastle will be another tough test but we should have enough to beat them.

Loved seeing Podolski back in the team our best finisher by far and has a tendency to get vital or match winning goals.

I know Giroud's work rate is immense and his link up play is terrific but he really needs to start scoring more goals and stop missing easy chances if we want to be real contenders this year with him in our starting line up.

Great to be back on top of the league Newcastle will be another tough test but we should have enough to beat them.

Loved seeing Podolski back in the team our best finisher by far and has a tendency to get vital or match winning goals.

I know Giroud's work rate is immense and his link up play is terrific but he really needs to start scoring more goals and stop missing easy chances if we want to be real contenders this year with him in our starting line up.

What about Podolski up front with Giroud rested?
    I still don't rate Bendtner.

So you reckon that the goals we have conceded that were Szcz's fault haven't cost us points so how would we better off with a better keeper that wouldn't have conceded them? I agree with saying Szcz has cost us some goals this year, but they were mostly unimportant goals and made no difference to the outcome of the game.

Casillas isn't infallible either by the way.

I didn't say we'd be in a better position.

I didn't say Casillas isn't infallible.

What about Podolski up front with Giroud rested?
    I still don't rate Bendtner.

Yea I'd certainly like to see it tried now that we have Podolski back fit and available.

I don't want Bendtner anywhere near the team to be honest and hopefullyhe wont be with Pod and Walcott both back fit.

I didn't say we'd be in a better position.

I didn't say Casillas isn't infallible.

Oops. I misread your post as position, but you said proposition. My apologies. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I have to say I'd find it a little amusing if Wenger decides what we really need is another attacking midfielder.

Especially if it works, which it very well could :)

does he not usually play from the left in a front 3? i think that's a position that could do with strengthening, as it's only really podolski.
    playing cazorla, wilshere or even ramsey/rosicky there isn't ideal, even though it's worked in a way this season, podolski is the only one i like seeing playing there, the others are better elsewhere primarily, & even podolski isn't that natural there
    gosplan wrote: »
    So, with Christmas optimisim to the fore, who's the best striker we could land in Jan given that Suarez would be impossible now.

Someone five me a top five or something to dream of.

Falcao
    there's stories he isn't happy in monaco or that he's only there to move on - to real, instead of going directly from atletico, that could make benzema available but i rather one of the 3 i'm mentioning before him - because of 3rd party ownership

lewandowski
    do dortmund really want to lose him for free? (and/or especially to bayern)
    i heard before they're a club that like to reinvest internally, so getting some money would help them give new contracts to gundogan, etc. and go some way towards any replacements
    he said when england played poland he'd like to play in the PL but i wouldn't put much weight in that though but who knows, he's also good friends with szczesny so maybe he could help convince him :pac:
    i'd be hoping some enquiries were made anyway at the CL games about him.

cavani
    some stories about him not being happy in france as well, thought it's more to do with not playing centrally

i think they should attempt at signing one of them 3.
    though we don't know if they will, we seen that wenger is willing to spend big money in the summer, first on suarez then ozil but we don't know if he'll continue to do it or was it a once off, if they'd have got suarez would they've went and bought ozil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yea I'd certainly like to see it tried now that we have Podolski back fit and available.

I don't want Bendtner anywhere near the team to be honest and hopefullyhe wont be with Pod and Walcott both back fit.

On the other hand, if Giroud plays now with Pod and Wally in the team, he'll have two others taking up natural positions very close to him.

He seemed to be very isolated (even for a lone front man) with people like Wilshire and Ozil on the wings.

Is it just me or do he and Pod seem to create an awful lot for each other?

Also rumoured to be on the move (but probably contingent on Lewandowski moving) is Mandzukic from Bayern, with Juve the destination. An excellent player. They might not sell to us given the Champions League draw, though.

Huge huge fan of Mandzukic. He'd bang em in for sport in the Premier league. big and strong and certainly knows where the net is. Yes please

Rumored that Wenger is interested in a young center back too.
    Anyone know anything about this lad --

"Finding a quality defender prepared to play second fiddle to Mertesacker and Koscielny will not be easy. Arsenal's best bet might be to look for a young prospect who would be able to learn from the more experienced professionals already at the club.

St. Etienne's Kurt Zouma would fit the bill. According to John Cross of The Mirror, Arsene Wenger has already received glowing reports on the defender from French scout Gilles Grimandi."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

He would be cup tied id imagine so that mightn't be an issue

Is being cup-tied such an issue when we're still in contention for the league?

gosplan wrote: »
    On the other hand, if Giroud plays now with Pod and Wally in the team, he'll have two others taking up natural positions very close to him.

He seemed to be very isolated (even for a lone front man) with people like Wilshire and Ozil on the wings.

Is it just me or do he and Pod seem to create an awful lot for each other?

Yea good point he has looked very isolated in a lot of games and having Walcott and Pod on the same pitch could possibly help this a lot and give him more to play off.

But Giroud really has to work on his finishing and runs I know he is slow but he could or should have scored at least one against West Ham.
    Is being cup-tied such an issue when we're still in contention for the league?

I wouldn't imagine so especially if it's a player who could be called world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rumored that Wenger is interested in a young center back too.
    Anyone know anything about this lad --

St. Etienne's Kurt Zouma would fit the bill. According to John Cross of The Mirror, Arsene Wenger has already received glowing reports on the defender from French scout Gilles Grimandi."

Great player and would be a great fit here.
    Only problem is that Chelsea are seemingly interested.

But if we did sign Zouma I think that'd be the end of Vermaelen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Vermaelen will be off in the summer anyway I reckon.

We could use another CB for cover. With only one injured we don't have a senior CB at the club to sit on the bench. At the moment we are one injury or suspension from a defensive 'crisis'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Newcastle are a massive potential banana skin. Flying so high under the radar.

Speaking of which , their fixture list for the next month or so is incredible after Arsenal.

West Brom (a)
    Man City (h)
    West Ham (a)
    Norwich (a)
    Sunderland (h)

Could very easily see them take 10 points out of that lot which would see them firmly in the top 4 at the start of Feb!!

Anything less than top form and this match could go south!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Zouma is a quality cb, im sure chelsea would throw cash at him unless we kept any deal quiet. He was involved with another player breaking his leg in horrific fashion earlier in the year, I shudder at the memory of the incident

Most likely Wenger will put Podolski on the wing and still play with 1 up front. Hence if we don't sign a striker, I think its importnat that Bendtner gets gametime...like him or loathe him.

If Giroud was to get injured we could be relying on Bendtner to be the main man, it would be preferrable if he wasnt completely cold coming into the team.

Giroud doesnt seem to score many headed goals, Bendtner is decent in the air...he might get on the end of Poldi crosses, like Wally at the weekend.

I'd like to see him start either of the next 2 tbh, but sold at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If we put pod up top we will more than likely have to change our system, I wouldn't be a fan of that in the middle of this busy period

Most likely Wenger will put Podolski on the wing and still play with 1 up front. Hence if we don't sign a striker, I think its importnat that Bendtner gets gametime...like him or loathe him.

If Giroud was to get injured we could be relying on Bendtner to be the main man, it would be preferrable if he wasnt completely cold coming into the team.

Giroud doesnt seem to score many headed goals, Bendtner is decent in the air...he might get on the end of Poldi crosses, like Wally at the weekend.

I'd like to see him start either of the next 2 tbh, but sold at the end of the season.

I never ever want to see Bendtner in an Arsenal jersey, we should sign a a CF in January or stick Pod or Walcott in there when Giroud needs a break.

Bendtner just ain't good enough to be starting games for Arsenal.
    If we put pod up top we will more than likely have to change our system, I wouldn't be a fan of that in the middle of this busy period

Every team needs a plan B and needs to be able to adapt and change game plan depending on the opposition. We have top class players who should be able to mix it up a bit if needs be.

Giroud has been missing far to many sitters which have cost us in the big games. We need to try something new or at least have the option to when status quo ain't working.

I never ever want to see Bendtner in an Arsenal jersey, we should sign a a CF in January or stick Pod or Walcott in there when Giroud needs a break.

Every team needs a plan B and needs to be able to adapt and change game plan depending on the opposition. We have top class players who should be able to mix it up a bit if needs be.

I think Wenger would argue that we don't need a plan B, just improve our plan A.

Can Poldi or Walcott hold the ball up?

I'd perfer to wait till the summer to sign a marqee forward than a mediocre one in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Giroud has been missing far to many sitters which have cost us in the big games. We need to try something new or at least have the option to when status quo ain't working.

While I agree we need a plan b and I wouldn't mind seeing a slight change,
    You have to remember both players are just back from injury which means they prob did no training for a new system
    Doing it now with Mimal prep would be stupid in my opinion

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Neither Theo or Pod can play as a lone striker imo, they would both need someone like Giroud up there with them to play off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Newcastle are a massive potential banana skin. Flying so high under the radar.

Speaking of which , their fixture list for the next month or so is incredible after Arsenal.

West Brom (a)
    Man City (h)
    West Ham (a)
    Norwich (a)
    Sunderland (h)

Could very easily see them take 10 points out of that lot which would see them firmly in the top 4 at the start of Feb!!

Wouldn't call that easy at all, 3 away games. Their two home games are against City (yes their away form is sketchy but they're still City) and a derby that could go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

A draw tomorrow would not be a bad result I feel. Newcastle are good at home and will take points off many of the big teams. We have a good record against them though so here's hoping for the rub of the green and 3 points.

It's good to see teams like Newcastle taking points of the big clubs.
    I think we can go and win there as their style of play will suit Arsenal.
    Win and we're in credit as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

It's good to see teams like Newcastle taking points of the big clubs.
    I think we can go and win there as their style of play will suit Arsenal.
    Win and we're in credit as such.

Yep they have City in a couple of weeks too so hoping that will be tricky but as you say Newcastle's style suits us but also City's I am afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think Wenger would argue that we don't need a plan B, just improve our plan A.

Can Poldi or Walcott hold the ball up?

I'd perfer to wait till the summer to sign a marqee forward than a mediocre one in Jan.

There was a game last season pod led the line and he was shocking, scored two though. Forgot who it was against.

I'd take a shocking performance from a centre forward if he scored twice...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement