Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oranage2 wrote: »
    There was a game last season pod led the line and he was shocking, scored two though.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I Podolski should be given time up front on his own, he has it in him and is by far our best finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

A draw tomorrow would not be a bad result I feel. Newcastle are good at home and will take points off many of the big teams. We have a good record against them though so here's hoping for the rub of the green and 3 points.

We're top of the table now, only a win will do imo. Newcastle is a team that we can beat, and one we should if we have serious intentions of winning the league this season. I was disappointed with the draw against Chelsea, it was a game for us to win and one that would've had us 4 points at the top of the table.

Regarding a striker, I believe we should buy some one with an extra physical presence, a forward that can beat defenders. Giroud has been a talisman for his holdup play and distribution, but we cannot rely on this as a tactic for the entire season. We need someone with physical strength and pace. Look at Lewandowski when we last played Dortmund. He was all over the place and beat our defence on occasions while also distributing the ball to midfield and wingers.

It's that little bit of physical presence we need. Look at when Podolski came on against West Ham, he tore through them and pretty much increased the distribution rate for the final third.

Having seen Lukaku play against us in the Everton game, I think he would make a great acquisition at some stage! He has pace, strength, and youth. If he could adapt to a system involving more distribution then we would have a seriously good forward. Adebayor was a prime example of this, regardless of his exit, he still contributed a lot to the squad as a player and I think Lukaku would actually be a much better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

If I were Wenger i'd be playing Podolski up top and give Giroud a break.

Giroud is the kind of player Willo and Colo like playing against, stick Podolski and Walcott near him and its a totally different game. Despite the good run we still look vulnerable to pacy strikers(Lukaku, Rodriguez). Santon is a weak link defensively and Walcott has scored quite a few against us.

We're one of the few teams that can match your midfield so it should be a close game, I believe Arsenal have beaten us twice on the 29th December in recent times so hope that's not a sign of things to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Moneymaker wrote: »
    If I were Wenger i'd be playing Podolski up top and give Giroud a break.

Giroud is the kind of player Willo and Colo like playing against, stick Podolski and Walcott near him and its a totally different game. Despite the good run we still look vulnerable to pacy strikers(Lukaku, Rodriguez). Santon is a weak link defensively and Walcott has scored quite a few against us.

We're one of the few teams that can match your midfield so it should be a close game, I believe Arsenal have beaten us twice on the 29th December in recent times so hope that's not a sign of things to come!

I think saying you can match our midfield is more than a little bit of an exaggeration. None of your midfield would make ours. You do have a good midfield though, not saying you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Koscienly is back in training today, but think Vermaelen deserves to start again. Has played well since his return i feel.

I think saying you can match our midfield is more than a little bit of an exaggeration. None of your midfield would make ours. You do have a good midfield though, not saying you don't.

I'd have Cabaye ahead of Arteta personally. Admittedly i'm biased but he's a fabulous player. At his best he's one of the best midfielders i've seen for us. I don't think Wilshere has really built on the form he showed a few seasons ago(lot of injuries granted).

Anita is a bit of an unsung hero for us and Tiote looks like he's back to his best after an abysmal 12 months or so. Not saying either would make a midfield ahead of Flamini or the likes but they aren't far off imo.

Walcott's pace could really kill us tomorrow though and a fresh Podolski is a big bonus for you. Remy needs a big game for us to have a chance and Gouffran has scored in 5 consecutive home games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

dvemail wrote: »
    Koscienly is back in training today, but think Vermaelen deserves to start again. Has played well since his return i feel.

I'd eel safer with Koscielny supporting Merts. Thought we looked a little ropey at tiimes against West Ham.

I'm not sure Podolski will start tomorrow. Not sure that Wenger thinks he's ready for 90 minutes yet.

greendom wrote: »
    I'd eel safer with Koscielny supporting Merts. Thought we looked a little ropey at tiimes against West Ham.

Obviously would much rather Kosc play but i just hope we don't rush him back only for him to get a more serious injury.

Will be interesting to see what the lineup will be, seeing Wenger might rest Ozil and Poldi mightn't start either. Would like to see Santi start central.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    Obviously would much rather Kosc play but i just hope we don't rush him back only for him to get a more serious injury.

Will be interesting to see what the lineup will be, seeing Wenger might rest Ozil and Poldi mightn't start either. Would like to see Santi start central.

Absolutely, good to see the real Cazorla back on Thursday. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of that tomorrow.

Agree with not rushing Kos back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There was a game last season pod led the line and he was shocking, scored two though. Forgot who it was against.

wigan at home, 4-1

he was shocking in all 3/4 games he played there at the end of the season from what i can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

batistuta9 wrote: »
    wigan at home, 4-1

he was shocking in all 3/4 games he played there at the end of the season from what i can remember

He was. Still scored a few, his finishing is very good. I'm a big fan of him in terms of his personality, and his left foot. But like Wenger said, he has the potential to improve and be lethal, but he's just missing that extra bit of drive to make him world class. I'd love it if he gets that over the next while, Wenger put it up to him. It's up to him now.

If Wenger could ever think of losing a midfielder I think Podolski and Giroud as a front 2 would be an amazing partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He was. Still scored a few, his finishing is very good. I'm a big fan of him in terms of his personality, and his left foot. But like Wenger said, he has the potential to improve and be lethal, but he's just missing that extra bit of drive to make him world class. I'd love it if he gets that over the next while, Wenger put it up to him. It's up to him now.

yeah, he scored midweek against a tired wigan after their FA Cup win.
    most people will say 'he played poor but still scored twice, what else do you want' or something similar, he had 1 in 2 from them games but it's misleading.

but i'll to put it in a way people might get, if this season podolski played up front with the form he showed in those games, arsenal wouldn't be able to go back top tomorrow, that's even after giroud having scored only 3 in his last 13 league games - on the counter v palace in the injury time, 1 gift, 1 penalty - walcott even looked more dangerous playing there than podolski

though before them games, sometime last season, i thought wenger would've use him up front this season instead of girioud, going by them games/the summer i don't think will.
    he was played from the left too for germany, maybe it's not the drive he's missing, it's the ability to play that position for a good team.

i don't think he likes playing from there either, he's one that wouldn't surprise me if he left in the summer, i'd like him to stay & prefer him starting wide left than cazorla/anyone else but i just get that feeling about him/it, maybe it's because he's been linked with moves already quite a bit and it's only his second season

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If we got a draxler type, like draxler for instance, then it would be bye bye pod. I'd miss him for his antics, but draxler wide left would be sweet as a nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

I really feel that Wegner should play Giroud and Poldi up front together. Maybe try it first against weaker teams but he did do this in the preseasons and they were lethal. Girouds vision with his knock downs combined with Poldis speed and most importantly finishing is a very good combination. Giroud creates a lot of chances so its logical to have our best natural finisher by far on the pitch beside him. One can hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I'd have Cabaye ahead of Arteta personally. Admittedly i'm biased but he's a fabulous player. At his best he's one of the best midfielders i've seen for us. I don't think Wilshere has really built on the form he showed a few seasons ago(lot of injuries granted).

Anita is a bit of an unsung hero for us and Tiote looks like he's back to his best after an abysmal 12 months or so. Not saying either would make a midfield ahead of Flamini or the likes but they aren't far off imo.

Walcott's pace could really kill us tomorrow though and a fresh Podolski is a big bonus for you. Remy needs a big game for us to have a chance and Gouffran has scored in 5 consecutive home games.
    I wouldn't start Arteta or Wilshere in our first midfield. I don't think many would start Wilshere to be honest, and Flamini v Arteta is a tough ask.

Flamini Ramsey
    Walcott Ozil Cazorla

Would be my favoured midfield for us.

In worried about Remy, when I've seen him he seems to have real talent. Someone said he was reminiscent of Henry, and I kind of agree (though obviously Henry was in a different league).

Walcott being back for us is the best thing to happen in ages, really think he'll start banging them in now.

• Advertisement

Wilshere back at CM will be a different player to the one stuck out on the wing all season. I think its pretty likely that he starts because hes very well rested. I think a Wilshere/Flamini combination would be intriguing, definitely wouldn't be backing out of a challenge :P

So that will be Cazorla in the middle then, Walcott on the right, with Rosicky on the left probably instead of Poldi. Wilshere and Arteta to play in behind, or maybe Flamini instead of Arteta.

Should be interesting to see how we cope without two of our more influential players in Ramsey and Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Walcott, Cazorla, Giroud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Vermaelen and Monreal not in the squad - they're ill apparently. Our squad always seem to get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »
    Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Flamini, Rosicky, Wilshere, Walcott, Cazorla, Giroud

Vermaelen and Monreal are sick, ozil has a shoulder injury.

Happy enough with the team nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Still a decent side. I'm hoping to see a win by a goal or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ozil out for the next two to three games, sp today, Cardiff and cup game against Tottenham so could be much worse, hopefully this break will help him rediscover his form now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Vermaelen and Monreal are sick, ozil has a shoulder injury.

Happy enough with the team nonetheless.

Yeah, nice squad strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It'll be interesting to see how we play without ozil, he's by no means key but look at his goals and assists and he is a very dangerous player. Plus he won't get kicked off the pitch by that hatchet man tiote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Much more comfortable if artera was playing, can see huge gaps been left in our midfield.

how people think Giroud is good enough to lead the line is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

Aaaand he scores hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Oh God :confused: Also hes so handsome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nice one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Say something about Walcott there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He scored one and then misses an open goal :/

Bendtner isnt very good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Excellent 6 points, today was a huge test and we dug it out, great 3 pts

Well done lads, we never looked like scoring, your center halves were brilliant.

I hope you win the league, i'm a big Wenger fan and I like Arsenal as a club.

Massive win that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Massive massive win that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Massive massive massive win that

Big win for us, Newcastle dominated the game, so to get the win is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Really important win there. We were poor enough but defended well. 3 points is all that counts. Top of the table at the half way point :)

Good goal from Giroud but his lack of pace and finishing is a problem imo

Massive massive win, disappointed we couldn't we couldn't hold onto the ball better though after we scored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal 2.0 now with added balls.

Great stuff. And say whatever you want about Giroud's talent or lack thereof. It's his work rate that I love him for.

We've had plenty of talent throughout the years. Balls and application have been what we've lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Huge 3 points.

Newcastle are good and were at pretty much full strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm not a fan of buying for the sake of buying but you'd wonder what a biggish signing in January could do for morale and positivity around the place. A Reyes effect.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jonny666 wrote: »

Good goal from Giroud but his lack of pace and finishing is a problem imo

Indeed, he played much worse today than he did the other night imo.

STILL top of the league!

Are we title contenders yet?!

:P

• Advertisement

Bloody love Rosicky. After 90 minutes he is still sprinting after the ball, and he is supposed to be the oldest of our lot.
    What a guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement