Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think we need to win the next 5 league matches as after that its a tough number of weeks and we'll drop points. The wider the gap the better off we'll be at the other side of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Signing a contract was to the benefit of both Liverpool and Suarez, more money for Liverpool and he gets a bigger signing on fee and wages in the summer. I think it's £80m which Madrid will probably pay even though he'll be 27.

Or Liverpool can force him to stay again.

He should of just waited till the summer and definitely got his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Or Liverpool can force him to stay again.

He should of just waited till the summer and definitely got his move.

If Madrid come knocking I don't think they'll force him to stay. They wouldn't sell to Arsenal because they're rivals, Madrid would both give them more money and not send him to a direct rival.

If Madrid come knocking I don't think they'll force him to stay. They wouldn't sell to Arsenal because they're rivals, Madrid would both give them more money and not send him to a direct rival.

Why would you sell arguably the third best player in the world just tied to a new long term contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Suarez is not the smartest is he why did he sign a new contract.

What is the release clause?

don't know how true this is, but the rumour is that he can go to a European club for 100million and to an EPL one for 130 million

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Gary and Jamie still saying it's between Chelsea and City there. We are top half way through the season and still being written off.

greendom wrote: »
    don't know how true this is, but the rumour is that he can go to a European club for 100million and to an EPL one for 130 million

Then he should never have signed it, can see him stuck at Liverpool again next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

shano_88 wrote: »
    Gary and Jamie still saying it's between Chelsea and City there. We are top half way through the season and still being written off.

I don't think they blatantly wrote us off to be fair. I am an Arsenal fan and I think City will eventually ease to the title. Chelsea can't be discounted on the grounds they are 2 points behind us and have massive spending potential in January to greatly improve their squad.

We will drop a lot of points in February and March. I just hope we pick 13 or 15 out of the next 15 to ensure we are ahead going into the Liverpool/Man United double header.

In the next 5 games City have Swansea (A) Newcastle (A) Cardiff (H) Spurs (A) and Chelsea (H).

Now if City come out of the next 5 ahead of us or within 3 points of us I think they will stroll to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just back home. Watched the game in the pub.

Mertezacher was my man of the Match by a fair distance followed by Rosicky who was like the Duracell bunny even in the closing stages.

I was delighted to get this win as it's a hard place to go to these days.

I thought Wenger should have replaced Giroud instead of Walcott as he would have offered us a better out ball with his speed. Bendtner is a lazy git.

Poor game and the passing especially in the first half was very poor but 3 points at bthe end of the day. I can see lots of changes for the home game against Cardiff as some players look very tired.

Chez nearly cost us with another stupid blocked down clearance. Needs a talking to.

We are TOP going into 2014. Happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

This time last year we were 16pts behind Utd. Some turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

LET'S GO SIGN FALCAO!!!!

Galvasean wrote: »
    LET'S GO SIGN FALCAO!!!!

Apparently this 75% tax is going to be implemented in France soon. Could be a few more available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

seems akpom heading out on loan to brentford, good loan for him, hopefully can get a few goals.

Jenkinson in a world of his own here.

idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif

We were very lucky not to concede, the dubs invited Newcastle on for the last ten mins.

You're probably right it's a dangerous game but it paid off.

Fúckin Dubs. The culchies would never have been as naive ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Fúckin Dubs. The culchies would never have been as naive ;)

Jackeens!

Stole this from the Liverpool thread -- Top 8 mini-league.

Home Away
    Pl W D L F A W D L F A GD Pts
    Man City 6 5 0 0 21 6 0 0 1 1 2 +14 15
    Arsenal 7 2 2 0 4 1 1 0 2 4 7 0 11
    Newcastle 7 1 1 1 3 2 2 0 2 7 2 -5 10
    Chelsea 6 2 0 0 4 2 0 3 1 1 2 0 9
    Everton 6 1 2 0 4 3 1 1 1 3 4 0 9
    Liverpool 6 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 3 10 9 +2 7
    Man Utd 6 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 2 3 7 -4 5
    Tottenham 6 0 2 1 3 8 0 1 2 0 7 -12 3

Now if we could just take points of United, City and Chelsea we would have a brilliant chance to win this year's title. We have yet to play City and United at home and Chelsea away.

dvemail wrote: »

idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif

Actually felt really bad for Bendtner at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

No harm is us still being written off, lets be fair; Man City have by far the best squad in the league and Chelsea have a decent squad with a few holes, but they have the financial resources to strengthen next month, which they in all likelyhood will.

Often in sport a team will really buy into this this notion of "Everyone is writing us off, nobody gave us a chance, we'll show them, etc." Hopefully the lack of respect being shown to Arsenal will stick with the players, plenty of people to prove wrong.

I still think City are the favourites, but it's great to be genuine contenders again. We're lucky to still be top after dropping 7 points against 3 top teams this month, but we're stil on top, and regardless of what anyone says we are there because we have been the best team so far this season.

One other thing; we keep hearing about this "They always collapse at the business end of the season" line, that completely ignores the fact that we finished the last two seasons very strongly as we clawed our way back from the dead in terms of CL qualification. There's no reason we can't finish strongly again this season.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Actually felt really bad for Bendtner at that point.

Gas the way during the course of a match you can almost change your perception of players second by second. I was actually shouting at the telly for bendtner to clip Jenks round the ear today for that...

Still though, 3 points up in Newcastle is nothing to be scoffed at. Not too bothered what the pundits like Hansen (or Gretel :D ) say either. The same tribe are overrating English players week in and week out. There wont be much made of Colemans goal today but if Ross Barkley done it they'd nearly call for him to be knighted in the Queens new years honours list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No harm is us still being written off, lets be fair; Man City have by far the best squad in the league and Chelsea have a decent squad with a few holes, but they have the financial resources to strengthen next month, which they in all likelyhood will.

Often in sport a team will really buy into this this notion of "Everyone is writing us off, nobody gave us a chance, we'll show them, etc." Hopefully the lack of respect being shown to Arsenal will stick with the players, plenty of people to prove wrong.

I still think City are the favourites, but it's great to be genuine contenders again. We're lucky to still be top after dropping 7 points against 3 top teams this month, but we're stil on top, and regardless of what anyone says we are there because we have been the best team so far this season.

One other thing; we keep hearing about this "They always collapse at the business end of the season" line, that completely ignores the fact that we finished the last two seasons very strongly as we clawed our way back from the dead in terms of CL qualification. There's no reason we can't finish strongly again this season.

I agree with everything you said bar this, Chelsea essentially have the same shaped hole we do up front and in January to get the class both teams really desire and need is always going to be incredibly tough regardless of how much money you throw at it.

It may happen but I can see a loan deal being done for us anyway just to cover ourselves until the summer when we have more chance.

I agree with everything you said bar this, Chelsea essentially have the same shaped hole we do up front and in January to get the class both teams really desire and need is always going to be incredibly tough regardless of how much money you throw at it.

It may happen but I can see a loan deal being done for us anyway just to cover ourselves until the summer when we have more chance.

Somebody like this lad coming in might plug the gap until the summer.
    Plus it would give both the club and the player options to see how they gel --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530573/Morata-Real-deal-Arsenal-January-boost-title-run.html

Somebody like this lad coming in might plug the gap until the summer.
    Plus it would give both the club and the player options to see how they gel --

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2530573/Morata-Real-deal-Arsenal-January-boost-title-run.html

I haven't seen much of him but I certainly wouldn't be against the idea of it.

I know he would be coming with a big reputation as a really bright prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wasn't too bothered by Jenkinson there, too many of our players were trying silly passes and killer balls when all we needed to do was wind the clock down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

My Liverpool mate told me he would rather be in there position instead of ours because they have all the big teams at home

I don't get it.......

AdamD wrote: »
    Wasn't too bothered by Jenkinson there, too many of our players were trying silly passes and killer balls when all we needed to do was wind the clock down.

Exactly and well he would have been throwing it into Bendtner who would be more likely to make a balls of it then shrug his shoulders than score.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

My Liverpool mate told me he would rather be in there position instead of ours because they have all the big teams at home

I don't get it.......

Ridiculous. Points on the table are way more important than home fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Amazing to think we've conceded half our goals this season in the league in just 2 matches (or a third in 1 match)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

The webmasters of http://espnfc.com/team?id=364&cc=5739 must be Liverpool fans

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

We're lucky to still be top after dropping 7 points against 3 top teams this month, but we're stil on top, and regardless of what anyone says we are there because we have been the best team so far this season.

I wouldn't say we are lucky to be top. We earned it. People tend to forget that the league is won over the course of 38 games.

• Advertisement

How many points do ye reckon it would take to clinch the league?
    I'd say if we repeat 42 points again we will probably only get 3rd, maybe 2nd.
    Can't see City or Chelsea having a poor second half to the season like they did the first 10 to 15 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can't see City or Chelsea having a poor second half to the season like they did the first 10 to 15 games.

City have all of the tough matches away in the second half, which is worth considering. I think 85 would very probably be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif

His athletic, but this just shows his lack of football brain. I was screaming at the tele real time. He can learn though

City have all of the tough matches away in the second half, which is worth considering. I think 85 would very probably be enough.

Gotta aim for the high 80's.
    We have plenty of tough ones as well in Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Sp*rs all away from home.
    Although our away form has been pretty spectacular over the last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

Over 21 seasons, the winners of the Premiership average 86 points.

Over 21 seasons, the winners of the Premiership average 86 points.

There seems to be more teams in contention this season so if they take points off each other then i expect the winning total to be less than 86.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

idMZtA2b8oWfe.gif

I know it's a bit simplistic and harsh but I don't think Jenkinson has a clue what's goin on, ever. I don't think he belongs with us, at the moment at least. He gives me jitters.

OR, maybe he knew exactly that bendy boots would probably fuk it up and saved him the mortification by pretending not to see him.

He is Arsenal through and through, so I do like the lad on a personal level though.

AdamD wrote: »

But Bendtner was in miles of space. Would have wound the clock down more if he could get a run at goal. At best he scores, at worst he is holding the ball in their half an extra minute. Chance to seal the three points

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If we can stay consistent against the lower teams and not implode on that run we have in feb and march we will be there or there abouts

I still reckon we will finish 3rd, two Stella signings in the summer though I'm confident next season we could go all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think we'll beat both Everton and Liverpool away we've done pretty good up in Merseyside in the last few seasons, City at home are definitly beatable too same goes for the red half of manchester the only one i could see us ****ing up is chelsea away

Spurs should be a win but we're prone to slips at the little lane

I know it's a bit simplistic and harsh but I don't think Jenkinson has a clue what's goin on, ever. I don't think he belongs with us, at the moment at least. He gives me jitters.

OR, maybe he knew exactly that bendy boots would probably fuk it up and saved him the mortification by pretending not to see him.

He is Arsenal through and through, so I do like the lad on a personal level though.

Even if that was the case which it isnt, its no excuse. Fact is as you originally said he has no awareness of whats going on around the field and hence gets caught up field.

I think we'll beat both Everton and Liverpool away we've done pretty good up in Merseyside in the last few seasons, City at home are definitly beatable too same goes for the red half of manchester the only one i could see us ****ing up is chelsea away

Spurs should be a win but we're prone to slips at the little lane

I've a feeling that we'll end Mourinho's run. We're better set up to play away from home and i believe we'll improve as the season continues. Had we took a chance on Pod the other night or even Bendtner i believe we'd have been potent enough to break the deadlock against them. We do need to sign a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Another 42 points should be well enough to win the title I reckon. City finished 2nd last season with only 78 points so United could have just as easily won the title with 79 points (or even 78 since they had a higher goal difference).

And the way the big teams are taking points off each other this season, the 2nd place team could very well finish less than the 78 points City managed last season. So yeah 84 points I reckon would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Giroud played the rest of the game in pain after the challenge by Tiote.

He's been off-form scoring wise, but he's a real warrior who never goes missing.

Absolutely - he is the character of the new Arsenal like Rosicky. Brilliant brilliant individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I love Giroud's character but I don't know why he has to be so whiny a lot of the time too.

Don't get me wrong, I've always rated him highly and I love his commitment but he goes down every 2 games for a good minute or two like a big baby and it's quite annoying to watch. Also notice how Wenger never seems to be concerned when the camera switches to him during these cameos.

One thing that struck me is how Giroud went mad against Chelsea because Ramsey kicked the ball into touch for fair play, while Giroud has someone kicking the ball into fair play for him every 2 games.

It's my only problem with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I also don't see why there is so much hate for Jenkinson. People seem to have forgotten the string of performances he put in for Arsenal last season that earned him an England cap. That's a nice player to have as back-up to right back.

He comes in and puts in solid performances and very good crosses. In fact, against Bayern Munich he completely kept Robben in check. Just simply didn't commit to a challenge and ran with Robben 'til he made a mistake.

Yes, Jenkinson looked completely clueless yesterday but I remember Mannone in the 93rd minute kicking the ball down the field for a potential 2 on 1 counter-attack and it slightly missed and Wenger went crazy.
    I think that these players are coached to bits and naturally Jenkinson was just running down clock. He could have been more aware but naturally, he was sticking to the plan.

And I think it's a complete disgrace to judge Jenkinson on that hiccup. I actually saw someone say that he lacks a football brain based on not seeing Bendtner for that chance. Jenkinson, as I pointed out above, has always impressed me in one on one scenarios where he simply watches the ball and gets the job done. And even yesterday, he made 2 very important defensive clearances after coming on and should even be credited for chasing down the Newcastle defender and wasting 30 seconds of clock yesterday.
    Absolutely fuming at the criticism he is getting. I don't think I would take another Premier League sub right back in his place. Maybe just 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I don't like the way he tries to flick every ball, It works some times especially against lower teams, but not against good teams. Also I don't know why our players don't go for the second ball or make runs when Giroud knocks it down.

Another thing which annoys me is why don't our players put pressure on opposition keepers for corners and free-kicks and go for 50-50 balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭itsjaybud

Lads just a quick one, going to the Cardiff game New Year's Day what's the best bar too have a few pints in before the game? I presume the Arsenal away fans will be where the crack is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

itsjaybud wrote: »
    Lads just a quick one, going to the Cardiff game New Year's Day what's the best bar too have a few pints in before the game? I presume the Arsenal away fans will be where the crack is!

I was in the Lamb on Holloway Road before the Chelsea match good craic. Was told afterwards a good few Irish fans go there. Was wondering why the Guinness was good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I also don't see why there is so much hate for Jenkinson. People seem to have forgotten the string of performances he put in for Arsenal last season that earned him an England cap. That's a nice player to have as back-up to right back.

He comes in and puts in solid performances and very good crosses. In fact, against Bayern Munich he completely kept Robben in check. Just simply didn't commit to a challenge and ran with Robben 'til he made a mistake.

Yes, Jenkinson looked completely clueless yesterday but I remember Mannone in the 93rd minute kicking the ball down the field for a potential 2 on 1 counter-attack and it slightly missed and Wenger went crazy.
    I think that these players are coached to bits and naturally Jenkinson was just running down clock. He could have been more aware but naturally, he was sticking to the plan.

And I think it's a complete disgrace to judge Jenkinson on that hiccup. I actually saw someone say that he lacks a football brain based on not seeing Bendtner for that chance. Jenkinson, as I pointed out above, has always impressed me in one on one scenarios where he simply watches the ball and gets the job done. And even yesterday, he made 2 very important defensive clearances after coming on and should even be credited for chasing down the Newcastle defender and wasting 30 seconds of clock yesterday.
    Absolutely fuming at the criticism he is getting. I don't think I would take another Premier League sub right back in his place. Maybe just 1 or 2.

Jenkinson is no worse than Chris Smalling. You don't get England caps for the craic like Joe Lapira

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement