Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I dont know why but im very suspicious of the Ozil injury

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

jonny666 wrote: »

Hopefully he'll be back for the Villa game so he can help us beat the absolute living ***** out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I also don't see why there is so much hate for Jenkinson. People seem to have forgotten the string of performances he put in for Arsenal last season that earned him an England cap. That's a nice player to have as back-up to right back.

He comes in and puts in solid performances and very good crosses. In fact, against Bayern Munich he completely kept Robben in check. Just simply didn't commit to a challenge and ran with Robben 'til he made a mistake.

Yes, Jenkinson looked completely clueless yesterday but I remember Mannone in the 93rd minute kicking the ball down the field for a potential 2 on 1 counter-attack and it slightly missed and Wenger went crazy.
    I think that these players are coached to bits and naturally Jenkinson was just running down clock. He could have been more aware but naturally, he was sticking to the plan.

And I think it's a complete disgrace to judge Jenkinson on that hiccup. I actually saw someone say that he lacks a football brain based on not seeing Bendtner for that chance. Jenkinson, as I pointed out above, has always impressed me in one on one scenarios where he simply watches the ball and gets the job done. And even yesterday, he made 2 very important defensive clearances after coming on and should even be credited for chasing down the Newcastle defender and wasting 30 seconds of clock yesterday.
    Absolutely fuming at the criticism he is getting. I don't think I would take another Premier League sub right back in his place. Maybe just 1 or 2.

Obviously everyone wants him to be a success but he does seem to fall asleep sometimes during games especially when he drifts into the middle of the defence. He is a fairly good crosser of the ball though. Hope he improves as he's tall and strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Great win yesterday we really showed great character to hold on at times, Rosicky was outstanding (where does he get his energy from) and Mertesacker too. Did anybody think Cazorla had a bad game yesterday or is it just me, he seems to be off the pace a bit this season. Hopefully when Ozil is back he is deployed more central and get Podolski back out wide give us a bit of natural width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bild linking us to Ter Stegen, who are very reliable. Makes sense with Viviano supposedly going back to Italy and Fab's contract up in the summer, looks like a top top goalie which can only be good for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Raf32 wrote: »
    Bild linking us to Ter Stegen, who are very reliable.

I wouldn't call them reliable, they're a tabloid. Better than the English ones yes, but not by a huge distance.

Would of liked to see Viviano getting a chance in one of the Carling Cup games, pretty strange transfer that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Bild linking us to Ter Stegen, who are very reliable. Makes sense with Viviano supposedly going back to Italy and Fab's contract up in the summer, looks like a top top goalie which can only be good for us.

It'd be a very strange singing..
    Because i'm pretty sure Barcelona have first dibs on him or something.

Also he wouldn't come cheap.
    He's probably in the top 3 young Keepers around.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Great win yesterday we really showed great character to hold on at times, Rosicky was outstanding (where does he get his energy from) and Mertesacker too. Did anybody think Cazorla had a bad game yesterday or is it just me, he seems to be off the pace a bit this season. Hopefully when Ozil is back he is deployed more central and get Podolski back out wide give us a bit of natural width.

Yeah Cazorla was poor, it was especially annoying since his performance against West ham was easily his best all season. Thought he would grab the bull by the horns with Ozil being injured.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah Cazorla was poor, it was especially annoying since his performance against West ham was easily his best all season. Thought he would grab the bull by the horns with Ozil being injured.

So sloppy in posession he was he gave the ball way needlessly on numerous occasions. I still love the little magician tho :D

• Advertisement

German goalkeepers seem to built up to be amazingly safe.

They're not really. Bernd Leno was apparently supposed to unbelievable but the mistakes he made against United were shocking. And other young German 'keepers make mistakes occasionally in their average game against a Fulham or a Stoke.

Just like any good keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think that LW and ST are way more pressing issues than a new GK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

AdamD wrote: »
    I think that LW and ST are way more pressing issues than a new GK

Backup for Per too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Backup for Per too

We would become badly unstuck if both Mert and Kos were out together. I hope Wenger spends a bit of cash to get some backup, and a forward, even if on loan.

German goalkeepers seem to built up to be amazingly safe.

They're not really. Bernd Leno was apparently supposed to unbelievable but the mistakes he made against United were shocking. And other young German 'keepers make mistakes occasionally in their average game against a Fulham or a Stoke.

Just like any good keeper.

In fairness to Leno he's been outstanding in the Bundesliga.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    In fairness to Leno he's been outstanding in the Bundesliga.

That's fair enough. He has a good reputation for a reason but I've seen people bring these names up after Cech, Hart or Chesney make mistakes as if Leno is indestructible.

But we both know that all these goalkeepers are of a similar level. Chesney has has a great season and has saved us from losing maybe 6-8 points. Random strange moments that he hasn't been punished for as of yet and then the mistake against West Ham (which wasn't the worst) are only 2 faults I can find for now.

Supposedly Silvio Berlusconi has come out and ordered Adriano Galliani to accept any offer of €25m for Balotelli?

I know he hasn't had the best of times in Milan but in those first 6 months he was lethal.
    If anyone can get the best out of Balotelli its Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Supposedly Silvio Berlusconi has come out and ordered Adriano Galliani to accept any offer of €25m for Balotelli?

I know he hasn't had the best of times in Milan but in those first 6 months he was lethal.
    If anyone can get the best out of Balotelli its Wenger.

That has Asprilla written all over it...... worse probably..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was thinking last night about our need for a striker. If Wenger does decided to go for a replacement for Giroud in January, who would be the contenders?

The most important thing to remember here I'd say is that they will have to slot in to the roll that Giroud plays now, as Wenger will not change the formation in the middle of a season. So who do you think would be good enough to fulfill the roll, given that some people think Giroud is not good enough?

Let's say for arguments sake that everyone is available but they will essentially be playing the role of a lone striker?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Remy? French,fast and powerful. Good finisher. Could do alot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

nuxxx wrote: »
    Remy? French,fast and powerful. Good finisher. Could do alot worse

On loan for a full season, so no. Also has an impending rape trial.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Let's say for arguments sake that everyone is available but they will essentially be playing the role of a lone striker?

Lewandowski would suit us perfectly!
    He's fast,strong and a great passer with lethal finishing.

Backup for Per too

Exactly.
    We are so reliant on Per at the moment that an injury to him would be a disaster.

Demba Ba would not be a bad loan signing for the FA Cup and some Premier League games.

Wenger is definitely more capable of getting him playing than Jose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Was thinking last night about our need for a striker. If Wenger does decided to go for a replacement for Giroud in January, who would be the contenders?

The most important thing to remember here I'd say is that they will have to slot in to the roll that Giroud plays now, as Wenger will not change the formation in the middle of a season. So who do you think would be good enough to fulfill the roll, given that some people think Giroud is not good enough?

I am still calling for Berbatov.
    Its a short term solution but I think he could fit in well and quickly.

Maybe Benzema in the summer if Suarez does go to Real

• Advertisement

Interesting stat.

Arsenal haven't lost a single game in which Mertesacker and Koscielny have played full 90 minutes together since January 2012 (23 months).

That is amazing.

Interesting stat.

Arsenal haven't lost a single game in which Mertesacker and Koscielny have played full 90 minutes together since January 2012 (23 months).

That is amazing.

And I'm relatively sure that Arsenal have never lost a Premier League game where Sagna - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Gibbs have played 90 minutes together.

Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Amazing how far Koscienly and Per have come over the last two years.
    They just work so well together. Its unbelievable the amount of crosses that get intercepted by either of the two, their anticipation for what is going to happen next is in a different class to what it used to be.

I was reading the match thread today and I couldn't help but laugh at the comment of the Newcastle fan who questioned why they were sending in high balls as "the pylon" was just continually heading them clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jonny666 wrote: »

He put a picture on his Facebook of himself wearing his tracksuit top watching the game on telly at home. I think he's being rested without the club saying so, for some reason. It's a little fishy to me too. I reckon we'll see him back for spurs in the cup.

• Advertisement

Inflamed shoulder?

He must have been watching a lot more than sports on that big ass t.v.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He put a picture on his Facebook of himself wearing his tracksuit top watching the game on telly at home. I think he's being rested without the club saying so, for some reason. It's a little fishy to me too. I reckon we'll see him back for spurs in the cup.

Ya, I have a feeling he could be just getting a weeks rest. I think hes had a winter break in every league hes played in and probably isn't used to so many fixtures at this time of year.

Hopefully hes back to his best for Spurs this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Are we able to recall Djourou from loan in January? Not that I think he's great or anything, but an extra CB as cover is something we could do with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I do think we missed him yesterday. For all the talk of him not 'running games' and 'going missing', he still manages to create several chances a game on his own. I think we had 2 in total for the 90 minutes yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Demba Ba would not be a bad loan signing for the FA Cup and some Premier League games.

Wenger is definitely more capable of getting him playing than Jose.

But Jose knows this. that's why he decided not to loan him to us in the summer. I think Chelsea will be very reluctant to loan us anyone after we loaned in Yossi Benayoun (who many considered a finished has been) and got a great season out of him.

Anyone see the little clip on MOTD last night of Flamini marshaling the troops yesterday? He really keeps them on their toes and personally did a great job on Cabaye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I thought we were getting Ba on loan up until we signed Ozil and Mourinho pulled the deal because he saw Arsenal mean business after we had "signed the best No 10 in the world."

Jose strung us along regarding Ba and pulled the plug when it was too late for us to get anybody else. Typical Mourinho.

I don't think Djourou would be too useful.

Unlike other seasons, we have top players (by that I mean, not just Coquelin and Yennaris) who can play in several key positions.

Sagna can play anywhere across the back 4 at a top level.
    Flamini can play anywhere in the centre of the park and at full back. So with him, Monreal and Jenkinson; Arsenal will have the freedom to slot Sagna in at centre back if Vermaelen and one of the starting pair are injured.
    Jenkinson can also play centre back, though less trustworthy.

Jenkinson can also play centre back

This scares me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Another CB would be a good bit down my list. We have two quality CB's, one very good back up, a couple of youngsters and the likes of Sagna and Flamini who can play there if needed. I'd be much more concerned with someone up front.

Also cant blame Jenkinson much for that incident. We were obviously running down the clock so he wasnt expecting anyone to have gotten into such a good position. When you're running down the clock, thats the last thing you expect to happen.

Normally, I wouldnt mind going out of the FA Cup. We dont need the extra games. But, it's against spurs so that goes out the window. Hopefully we get a neutral team in the fourth round so it wont matter if we go out. Liverpool are really benefited from less games and I think we would too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Walcott must have been working on his set piece play when he was injured.
    Doesn't seem to have the usual clangers like he used to when taking free kicks or corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

dvemail wrote: »
    Walcott must have been working on his set piece play when he was injured.
    Doesn't seem to have the usual clangers like he used to when taking free kicks or corners.

Henry!

This scares me.

Well, I guess I can understand but he slotted in very nicely at the weekend when defending crosses. Think he made 2 good aerial clearances and that's all you can ask of a guy in that situation.

Now, the big test is 90 minutes at centre back as opposed to defending 2 crosses, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Can't see it happening we don't need a GK maybe a back up but not a bright prospect.

Just like the summer and Ceasar rumours it stems from the media under rating Szcez and thinking we need a new no.1 I think at this stage he has proved himself and Wenger has proved his faith in him as our no.1.

Can't see it happening we don't need a GK maybe a back up but not a bright prospect.

Just like the summer and Ceasar rumours it stems from the media under rating Szcez and thinking we need a new no.1 I think at this stage he has proved himself and Wenger has proved his faith in him as our no.1.

But he does have a tendency to do something stupid like yesterday. I think someone needs to have a word with him about trying smart stuff. Could have cost us 2 points yesterday. He will be a great keeper and I don't want him dropped, just focused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But he does have a tendency to do something stupid like yesterday. I think someone needs to have a word with him about trying smart stuff. Could have cost us 2 points yesterday. He will be a great keeper and I don't want him dropped, just focused.

The main word there being could have, how many times yesterday did we see outfield players misplace a pass? Not a peep said.

Sczez does it once which results in a goal kick I may add and he gets lambasted for it, how many saves did he pull off yesterday? He is statistically one the best keepers in the league you can't ask for much more than that.

The best bit he already one the best and he is only going to get better as well.

totally agree. i hope yesterday gave him a good shock, it was very very close.
    poor remy though, i wouldn't fancy a kick out to the face from that distance!!

as for Ter Stegen, yeah i thnk he too will be a top keeper, but really we're not too badly stocked in goal, we need to get ourselves another centre forward.
    I love Giroud, and have sung his praises on many aspects of his game, but he's not clinical enough in front of goal, we need someone who is as well as giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Who gave the backpass yesterday? It struck me as pretty poor at the time, though obviously Szczesney should've been more alert.

• Advertisement

Who gave the backpass yesterday? It struck me as pretty poor at the time, though obviously Szczesney should've been more alert.

More alert it is then.
    A few games ago he tried chipping the ball over a forwards head and was lucky then too.
    He just needs to cut out the messing because he is one of the best shot-stoppers in the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement