Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Who gave the backpass yesterday? It struck me as pretty poor at the time, though obviously Szczesney should've been more alert.

it was Flamini from near the halfway line, and yeah he did hit it rather casually, Remy had set off running well in advance of the ball reaching Ches.

FgBuIYB.gif

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Giroud played the rest of the game in pain after the challenge by Tiote.

He's been off-form scoring wise, but he's a real warrior who never goes missing.

The other side of things is that it is absolutely ridiculous to not change a man who has played almost 30 consecutive games and got injured during the match.
    Granted he scored but it could be costly if he is out injured because he was risked through pain. I mean did we not have Podolski on the bench as well as Bendtner?

The other side of things is that it is absolutely ridiculous to not change a man who has played almost 30 consecutive games and got injured during the match.

big time. and it shows maybe wenger doesn't trust Pod in a tight game as a centre forward. which is perhaps understandable as Pod's game is not one where he holds up the ball and can be used as a pressure release valve, like Giroud can. So if Wenger doesn't trust Pod as an out and out CF, then he knows he should employ should of the money we have and get another striker, even a loaner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I will be shocked if Giroud starts against Cardiff. Has to be Bendtner to start up front as it will be his Girouds best chance of a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'd be happy with this line-up against Cardiff:

Chesney
    Sagna
    Per
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Flamini

Arteta
    Wilshere

Rosicky
    Podolski
    Bendtner

I think this a team that would give us a very good chance of winning and would balance that with resting some players.
    It still looks a bit funny to me so I'm okay if you disagree with me.

Giroud needs a rest in my opinion but he seems to be capable of recovering very quickly.
    Podolski will be so, so fresh and that could really help. Playing him and Walcott could be harmful to the balance of the team from the very start.
    Flamini and Arteta may be too cautious but Arteta has proven that he is very good on the attack, just like the game against Napoli in the Emirates at the beginning of the season.

Also, there is no reason why Flamini is leaning closer to Arteta as opposed to Rosicky or why Podolski is slightly more central than Monreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cathalio11 wrote: »

Chesney
    Sagna
    Per
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Flamini

Arteta
    Wilshere

Rosicky
    Podolski
    Bendtner

I think this a team that would give us a very good chance of winning and would balance that with resting some players.

Giroud needs a rest in my opinion but he seems to be capable of recovering very quickly.
    Podolski will be so, so fresh and that could really help. Playing him and Walcott could be harmful to the balance of the team from the very start.
    Flamini and Arteta may be too cautious but Arteta has proven that he is very good on the attack, just like the game against Napoli in the Emirates at the beginning of the season.

Also, there is no reason why Flamini is leaning closer to Arteta as opposed to Rosicky or why Podolski is slightly more central than Monreal.

That team lacks a little pace in attack imo.
    Put Walcott, Gnarby or Chamberlain in and rest Rosicky and it might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chesney
    Sagna
    Per
    Koscielny
    Monreal

Flamini

Arteta
    Wilshere

Rosicky
    Podolski
    Bendtner

Think it all depends if Monreal is fit cause Gibbs should be out so it might be Flamini at LB.

I'd start Walcott though.

That team lacks a little pace in attack imo.
    Put Walcott, Gnarby or Chamberlain in and rest Rosicky and it might be better.

Anybody know when Chamberlain is due back from injury actually?

dvemail wrote: »

http://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

dvemail wrote: »

It's funny - we haven't had a lot of discussion on Chamberlain at all and what he will bring when he gets back. Obviously we cannot expect too much too soon but I am really excited at getting him back.

He has great pace which we lack at times and is more skilful and dynamic than Walcott. Also he was our best player against Villa until he was injured I thought.

He could be a very important and under-rated addition when he comes back.

• Advertisement

The Ox is technically gifted, whereas Walcott leans more towards his pace, positioning and movement.

Chamberlain is never afraid to take a man on and it's great to watch. He was very good against Villa and set up the first goal if I remember correctly.

I'm looking forward to what he will provide to the team but I am very disappointed that he was missed such a long time. It will take him a while to get back up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

It's funny - we haven't had a lot of discussion on Chamberlain at all and what he will bring when he gets back. Obviously we cannot expect too much too soon but I am really excited at getting him back.

He has great pace which we lack at times and is more skilful and dynamic than Walcott. Also he was our best player against Villa until he was injured I thought.

Like a new signing:D

Yeah Chamberlain is definitely much more direct than Walcott.
    We will need a full strength squad to choose from for the rest of the season if we are to have any chance of taking the title.

Here is Soldado's goalscoring heat map:

1499599_571744442906989_284175101_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah, was reading this morning in the guardian that Ben Arfa and Wenger were exchanging niceties at the match. It occurred to me that we don't have a single player that can just take a guy on and beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

But he does have a tendency to do something stupid like yesterday. I think someone needs to have a word with him about trying smart stuff. Could have cost us 2 points yesterday. He will be a great keeper and I don't want him dropped, just focused.

In fairness, every keeper makes mistakes. Lehmann used to make more than his fair share of blunders and was one of our best keepers.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    In fairness, every keeper makes mistakes. Lehmann used to make more than his fair share of blunders and was one of our best keepers.

I don't mind genuine mistakes but making them when there is no need is different.
    He should have booted the ball into touch on those two occasions.
    As Mick McCarthy said " they can't score from row Z".
    As long as he learns from it. At least there was no damage done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chamberlain's injury was such a disappointment. I think he was earmarked as being a potential physical presence in the centre of midfield for the future, he has all the ability in the world, no obvious weaknesses. Very excited for him to come back.

AdamD wrote: »
    Chamberlain's injury was such a disappointment. I think he was earmarked as being a potential physical presence in the centre of midfield for the future, he has all the ability in the world, no obvious weaknesses. Very excited for him to come back.

He is very strong and skillful alright.
    Good to see Gnarbry on the bench too. Very tricky and scares defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I can't wait to have Ox back. Really exciting talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Looking to book flights for the Man City game in March, when will this fixture be confirmed, its down as a 3pm Saturday kick off which is highly unlikely.

Should these be confirmed in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As much as I'll be delighted to have Ox back I thought this season could be his breakout season.

I think when we do see him he wont be at his best for some time and I just hope fans have that patience to bear with him as he finds his feet again. He is still developing and has a lot to learn this will have knocked him back a bit.

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Looking to book flights for the Man City game in March, when will this fixture be confirmed, its down as a 3pm Saturday kick off which is highly unlikely.

Should these be confirmed in January?

Yeah you would feel that match will either be an early kickoff on BT Sport on Saturday or late on Sky on Saturday. Or else it will be "Super Sunday".
    Should find out sometime next month i reckon as to who will get the broadcasting rights.

At the cardiff presser Wenger says 'plenty of injury problems.' Ramsey, Ozil out. Giroud out. Walcott, Rosicky doubtful. Vermaelen, Monreal doubtful - ill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    At the cardiff presser Wenger says 'plenty of injury problems.' Ramsey, Ozil out. Giroud out. Walcott, Rosicky doubtful. Vermaelen, Monreal doubtful - ill

And Gibbs.

It begins.

That's no left back and nearly our whole midfield out.

Ozil and Ramsey out till end of January.

This is the point of the season city and Chelsea are waiting for, they can really utilize their squad depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Szcz
    Sagna
    Per
    Kosc
    Flamini
    Arteta
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Cazorla
    Gnabry
    Podolski

I'd be happy with that starting lineup considering how many are missing or possibly missing.

Frisbee wrote: »

Szcz
    Sagna
    Per
    Kosc
    Flamini
    Arteta
    Wilshere
    Walcott
    Cazorla
    Gnabry
    Podolski

I'd be happy with that starting lineup considering how many are missing or possibly missing.

Walcott a doubt?

How vulnerable will our left side be though.

This:

Szcz
    Sagna Mert kozzer Flamini
    Arteta Wilshere
    Gnabry Cazorla poldi
    Bendnter

Still not bad, should have enough to turn over Cardiff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This:

Szcz
    Sagna Mert kozzer Flamini
    Arteta Wilshere
    Gnabry Cazorla poldi
    Bendnter

Still not bad, should have enough to turn over Cardiff anyway.

Thats what I'd go with. Walcott for Gnabry if he's fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I really don't want to see Bendtner playing for us. I feel he offers absolutely nothing to how we play. I was happier when I thought he'd never play for us again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Quazzie wrote: »
    I really don't want to see Bendtner playing for us. I feel he offers absolutely nothing to how we play. I was happier when I thought he'd never play for us again.

Thats the reality though. Its a sad reflection on Wenger that he has to use him. No excuses when it comes to having back up for Giroud, he had all summer to invest.

I agree we should have gone in for a forward. Need to invest now.

Wiltshire is also a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Id prefer to play Jenkinson right back and Sagna left back than stick Flamini in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Were people not around the summer? We did go for a forward we went for Higuain, Suarez and a loan deal for Ba and that's what we know of. Class CF are hard to come by Chelsea had the same problem we did with there pursuit of Rooney.

It sure as hell wasn't for a lack of effort by the club or Wenger that no CF was signed. He does need to sign one in January badly but I've a feeling since it was so hard during the summer going to be even harder in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Were people not around the summer? We did go for a forward we went for Higuain, Suarez and a loan deal for Ba and that's what we know of. Class CF are hard to come by Chelsea had the same problem we did with there pursuit of Rooney.

It sure as hell wasn't for a lack of effort by the club or Wenger that no CF was signed. He does need to sign one in January badly but I've a feeling since it was so hard during the summer going to be even harder in January.

Ya I agree with this. Are we going to have a load of people on here bashing Wenger at the end of January if we don't sign a striker just for the sake of it??

I see absolutely no point in signing someone that is not of the required standard. It's not Football Manager. Wenger isn't going to spend anything above €10 million quid on someone that isn't of a very high standard.

I do accept that if there is no striker out there up to the standard Wenger requires then I will wait patiently to the summer. As of now I can only see a loan deal for someone like Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

All these injuries now, just as it looks like we can go on another good run. Not ideal. Big test for the squad.

Ya I agree with this. Are we going to have a load of people on here bashing Wenger at the end of January if we don't sign a striker just for the sake of it??

I see absolutely no point in signing someone that is not of the required standard. It's not Football Manager. Wenger isn't going to spend anything above €10 million quid on someone that isn't of a very high standard.

I do accept that if there is no striker out there up to the standard Wenger requires then I will wait patiently to the summer. As of now I can only see a loan deal for someone like Morata.

ID be very surprised as well If we do manage to pick up a striker in January. He wont sign someone for the sake of It.

The problem I have is that we had 3 months in the summer to pick up a striker and there were quite a few available.

How the Hell are we so feckin injury prone?

There is more to this than meets the eye. Some of these lads must have got injured on the feckin bench.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Id prefer to play Jenkinson right back and Sagna left back than stick Flamini in there.

Well Flamini was brilliant for us there during the run in to the Champions League final.

Arguments can be made about the credibility of that as a reference for now but it's worth noting.

• Advertisement

There was always gonna be injuries from the Newcastle game, it was a physical game.

I see moyes has come out and asked referees to protect januzi a bit more.

Imagine Wenger came out with that, the media and commentators would have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

There is more to this than meets the eye. Some of these lads must have got injured on the feckin bench.

Loads of teams are struggling injury wise, us, Liverpool, United and others, we are coping well though.

I think a few are just knocks and being rested for Cardiff at home, Wenger just playing mind games

Well Flamini was brilliant for us there during the run in to the Champions League final.

Arguments can be made about the credibility of that as a reference for now but it's worth noting.

That was 8 years ago though!

Id just prefer to start Flamini in midfield. Especially If Wilshere is out aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Rumors of a loan deal for Morata being are number one target for January.

He'd be a decent backup for Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

whats ozils problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Rumors of a loan deal for Morata being are number one target for January.

He'd be a decent backup for Giroud.

And I see Giroud says Arsenal dont need another forward.

Quelle surprise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

It's not just us - Liverpool looks bad, too, and they didn't even play european games. The problem is unlike Chelsea and City we have very short bench. And those that are left, may not be up to the job. Big test coming up, hope we survive.

wonski wrote: »
    It's not just us - Liverpool looks bad, too, and they didn't even play european games. The problem is unlike Chelsea and City we have very short bench. And those that are left, may not be up to the job. Big test coming up, hope we survive.

Be so frustrating if we loose out on the title through injuries.

Every season it's the same, although hopefully just minor ones at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I just noticed we play FA cup with Spurs on Saturday. No rest, let's keep the fingers crossed for the New Year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement