Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Yay! I like winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I'm not sure that I want another premiership striker if I am being totally honest. At this stage we have played every team and of the star strikers, only Aguero has given us any grief.

Mert and Kos managed to keep Suarez quiet when he was paired with his favoured strike partner, and likewise they managed to keep Rooney out of the game. If we want to continue with the Ozil type signings, we should be looking at people who would trouble Kos and Mert if they were playing against us. Lewandowski did it to a degree and I really think we shouldn't be looking at anyone who is a level below him.

So Suarez wouldn't be good enough for us!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Can't see Fulham loaning us berba anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So Suarez wouldn't be good enough for us!?

Didn't say that, I said we should be aiming higher. Yes he has a fortune of goals against weaker teams but if he comes up against a good defence or a stronger team he can be kept quiet. We should be looking for someone who can single handedly change a game for us if the rest of the team isn't playing well and I don't think Suarez would do that for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Didn't say that, I said we should be aiming higher. Yes he has a fortune of goals against weaker teams but if he comes up against a good defence or a stronger team he can be kept quiet. We should be looking for someone who can single handedly change a game for us if the rest of the team isn't playing well and I don't think Suarez would do that for us.

Suarez not good enough for Arsenal? Are you insane? Whatever way you want to phrase it. If Arsenal had Suarez they'd walk this league.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

So you are looking for a player that is exactly what Suarez is but not Suarez..... right

He is currently the best at what he does form wise but will never be a gunner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Suarez not good enough for Arsenal? Are you insane? Whatever way you want to phrase it. If Arsenal had Suarez they'd walk this league.

What a typical thanks whoring post. Fabricate something I didn't say (and in fact denied saying in the post you quoted) and make some ludicrously obvious statement. Well done, enjoy your thanks.

I said, for the third time, Arsenal could do sign a better player than Suarez and that is the type of player we should be aiming for.

The type of player we need is some who can single handedly change games if the rest of the team are poor and who can unlock defences when they need to, something Suarez has failed to do against bigger teams this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Can't see Fulham loaning us berba anyway.

Don't want Berbatov. He not good enough, if we are serious about trying to win the league, IMO. He would spend more time out injured or not bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What you seem to be missing is that most others would be of the opinion that, barring us signing Messi, Ronaldo or Ibra, better than Suarez doesn't really exist.

• Advertisement

Mata? Kind of packed where he'd play, but what a player and Maureen seems so unimpressed with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

The type of player we need is some who can single handedly change games if the rest of the team are poor and who can unlock defences when they need to, something Suarez has failed to do against bigger teams this season.

Example?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Our next 4 games are good chances for 3 points, most of the top 5 have 1 or 2 tough games, also Chelsea play Man City. Ideal world would be to be a few points ahead at the end of Jan.

Hopefully we can push on in this period and build a real winning mentality. Having Ozil, Ramsey, Podolski, Giroud and perhaps Chamberlain back fit will be so important and should hopefully bring us into the tougher games of Feb and March in good shape.

I still think Arsene will bank on Bendtner and Giroud as the CF players, but a real quality addition would be a real boon to a title tilt.

Team for Spurs:

Chez
    Sagna Mert Verm Monreal
    Flamini
    Walcott Wilshere Rosicky Podolski
    Giroud

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Team for Spurs:

Chez
    Sagna Mert Verm Monreal
    Flamini
    Walcott Wilshere Rosicky Podolski
    Giroud

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to give Fabianski a game. We have to give our backups some match time, and I personally think the cups are the situation to do it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Our next 4 games are good chances for 3 points, most of the top 5 have 1 or 2 tough games, also Chelsea play Man City. Ideal world would be to be a few points ahead at the end of Jan.

Hopefully we can push on in this period and build a real winning mentality. Having Ozil, Ramsey, Podolski, Giroud and perhaps Chamberlain back fit will be so important and should hopefully bring us into the tougher games of Feb and March in good shape.

I still think Arsene will bank on Bendtner and Giroud as the CF players, but a real quality addition would be a real boon to a title tilt.

If we have any chance of a title we need a bit of a cushion come the end of jan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mert and Kos managed to keep Suarez quiet when he was paired with his favoured strike partner

I think that was down to our midfield destroying Liverpool supply line to him more than Mert/Kos out playing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's amazing how open to interpretation football is.

A few months ago done here wanted us to sign Lambert. Now others are saying Suarez isn't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Berba will score tonnes of goals with the service at Arsenal

If he's cheap it's a no brainer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't think it'd be unreasonable to give Fabianski a game. We have to give our backups some match time, and I personally think the cups are the situation to do it in.

Well, I'm probably entirely selfish here, but I'm going to see us play Spurs on Saturday, so I'm hoping we play with as strong a team as possible and massacre them.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As a stop gap short term deal I'd take Berba I'll be shoocked if we get the top class payer we all want in January and he would do nicely for another for a few months.

Then again we were all shocked when Ozil came about so you never know.

• Advertisement

The other good thing about Berba is he's got the x-factor.

We've loads of really good footballers but not many of them do the unexpected things well. The result is that good defences with switched on physical players will shut us down.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, I'm probably entirely selfish here, but I'm going to see us play Spurs on Saturday, so I'm hoping we play with as strong a team as possible and massacre them.

:)

And what if we get to March, Woj breaks his wrist, and Fabianski hasn't played a game in half a year? I'd be fairly uncomfortable then.

I don't think it'd be that big a risk, really. Fabianski did a good job last year. We'd still put out our strongest team, with the exception of the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think we should be targeting the FA cup this season, the league may be one year too early and the trophy drought needs ending.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

And what if we get to March, Woj breaks his wrist, and Fabianski hasn't played a game in half a year? I'd be fairly uncomfortable then.

I don't think it'd be that big a risk, really. Fabianski did a good job last year. We'd still put out our strongest team, with the exception of the keeper.

As I said "entirely selfish" :)

In truth, I know nothing about resting players, giving them match experience, etc, and if giving match experience to a someone to secure a higher league position means I have to see second team players in an FA cup match, so be it.

I only want to see a good game, and would prefer an Arsenal win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Is Remy a definite no go? Is he locked into that loan or could QPR decide to sell? He would be perfect for us I think. Should have got him at the start of the season I thought.

Do not want Berbatov. Reckon Wenger will stick with what we have due to no one being available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

Berba will score tonnes of goals with the service at Arsenal

If he's cheap it's a no brainer

Yes, Yes and thrice Yes.
    Have been saying this for the past month.
    Sign him up Arsene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

We often spend big in January Reyes, arshavin and monreal all spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

What a typical thanks whoring post. Fabricate something I didn't say (and in fact denied saying in the post you quoted) and make some ludicrously obvious statement. Well done, enjoy your thanks.

I said, for the third time, Arsenal could do sign a better player than Suarez and that is the type of player we should be aiming for.

Let me be clear so. Your point is completely wrong. Arsenal could not sign a better player than Suarez and you are completely deluded if you think they could. Basically you're saying Arsenal should go out and buy Cristiano Ronaldo. Dream on. Either you're having a cheap dig at pool because Suarez has failed to score in a handful of games this season or there's something wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

id love to see Diego Costa in January but doubt Atletico will let him go mid season. apparently he has a £32M release clause...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Lewandowski is announcing where he'll be going in the summer later today.

This was Wengers face yesterday when asked about buying a Striker..
    Bc6emx2IQAAMSWU.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Lewandowski is announcing where he'll be going in the summer later today.

This was Wengers face yesterday when asked about buying a Striker..
    Bc6emx2IQAAMSWU.jpg:large

Stop teasing :o

now he'd be class, might come too if Bayern dont want him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'd be slightly concerned with Berbatov that he would be too similar to most of our attacking midfielders. Clever, intricate players without too much pace. We were slow in our build-up play yesterday which played into Cardiff's hands. I don't think Berba would be much help in such situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Could do a Davor Suker job for us. If he's on <£3m/year and we can get him for £2m then yeah I'd say he'd be worth a punt on the proviso its only a 2.5yr contract and we have a proper target in the summer window. As lazy as he appears, you can't argue with his stats.

I remember this time last year advocating signing David Villa - look at how well he's done at Atleti since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Were more than likely only going to get a player on loan. So that would leave me thinking Alvaro Morata from Madrid.
    He's not proven yet but from the small bit of him I've seen he does look very good. Doubt he could play the same lone striker role like Giroud or Bendtner can. Would need more support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

greendom wrote: »
    I'd be slightly concerned with Berbatov that he would be too similar to most of our attacking midfielders. Clever, intricate players without too much pace. We were slow in our build-up play yesterday which played into Cardiff's hands. I don't think Berba would be much help in such situations.

Our pace should come from the flanks though - we should be alright with Walcott and Chamberlain. You'd like one more option but then again, hasn't Gnabry done enough to deserve a chance too?

We haven't brought a player through in ages either so hopefully one of the Gnabry/Bellerin/Toral/Zelalem contingent will make it.

what about Akpom? he's scored a fair few pre season, as did Eisfeld..

BTW Morata is playing up front for Madrid against PSG now on Sky Sports 1.

dvemail wrote: »
    BTW Morata is playing up front for Madrid against PSG now on Sky Sports 1.

Some of us have work ;)

• Advertisement

fulmer1984 wrote: »
    Some of us have work ;)

Highlights will be on at 10 o'clock tonight so no excuses. :D

dvemail wrote: »
    Highlights will be on at 10 o'clock tonight so no excuses. :D

I'll be in bed dreaming of Berbatov wearing Chamakh's old jersey lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

us getting Lewandowski? almost as believable of us getting ozil..

o wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

cson wrote: »
    I remember this time last year advocating signing David Villa - look at how well he's done at Atleti since.

Did we not bid for him? Would have loved to see him in an Arsenal shirt. A pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

He'll be going to Barca before Arsenal I think.

Wonderful player. Second only to Vidal in Serie A and one of the best on current form in Europe.

I've been saying to my Arsenal mates forever you should be in for Lewandowski. Dortmund will be desperate for him not to go to Bayern so you can bet they'll try and push him towards any other club that's interested.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    I've been saying to my Arsenal mates forever you should be in for Lewandowski. Dortmund will be desperate for him not to go to Bayern so you can bet they'll try and push him towards any other club that's interested.

Looks like he if off to Bayern unfortunately, Manzukic or another of their other strikers might be for sale in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

For sure.

Let's remember how good Fabianski has been whenever he has lined out for Arsenal in his last 10 games or so.

He had the number 1 spot before getting injured.

Lewandowski has chosen us!!!!

... is what I'd be saying in some parallel awesome universe

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Perry Groves says Berbatov would be a good buy at 2 million, a couple of days later The Sun turns that into a transfer story and now we have three pages of discussion on it here. Amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Perry Groves says Berbatov would be a good buy at 2 million, a couple of days later The Sun turns that into a transfer story and now we have three pages of discussion on it here. Amusing.

We had lots of discussion on it in November and December as a possibility before any paper story. Is that also amusing??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement