Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Berbatov would do a job for us.

2 million is fine. As long as the wages aren't too high, I'd be fine.

Even a 6 month contract. The player is very talented and could really help us when we have 3 games in 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Berbatov would do a job for us.

2 million is fine. As long as the wages aren't too high, I'd be fine.

Even a 6 month contract. The player is very talented and could really help us when we have 3 games in 7 days.

Yep I agree. Also a man with a couple of Premier League titles to his name.

Obviously he is not a long term nor an ideal solution but we need to be realistic here.

Who would you like to have to bring on with 30 minutes left in Carrow Road on the final day of the season tied at 0-0 and needing a win to secure the title? I would like Berbatov ahead of Bendtner/Sanogo or Podolski up front alone.

What irritates me is that we will have multiple posters saying we need way better, better than Suarez yet I have not seen one realistic suggestion yet from anyone who is a realistic January target for Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Whatever about a backup striker, there is zero chance of Wenger signing a replacement for Giroud in the middle of a season. For a start, one of the best things about the team so far this year has been the team spirit and bringing in a big name or someone who would need us to change formation could ruin all that.

If he does decide to sign someone, we probably won't find out about it until after the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Doing the rounds on twitter; apparently Yaya Sanogo posted on his official facebook* welcoming Berbatov to the club, and then swiftly deleted it.
    Pic here:
    BdAiJ8IIQAAQU4l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'd be happy with Berba.
    He may lack pace and isn't the type of guy to chase down defenders.. But he's a great finisher which is something we badly need.

As a backup we could do worse.
    Also I'd say Spurs would be pissed! :D

gosplan wrote: »
    Lewandowski has chosen us!!!!

... is what I'd be saying in some parallel awesome universe

Ah shoot. Way to burst my bubble :(

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'd be happy with Berba.
    He may lack pace
    and isn't the type of guy to chase down defenders.. But he's a great finisher which is something we badly need.

As a backup we could do worse.
    Also I'd say Spurs would be pissed! :D

There is that perception but personally i think because he doesnt run much that we thinks he lacks pace. Pace wont be an issue when you only run a max of 10 yards per game to begin with :D

Im in favour for a move though. He has good reading of the game.

Perry Groves says Berbatov would be a good buy at 2 million, a couple of days later The Sun turns that into a transfer story and now we have three pages of discussion on it here. Amusing.

He said that last month. Perry does work for the club albeit doing the stadium tours but id imagine he hears rumblings and sees things happening transfer wise the odd time.

ronjo wrote: »
    Yes, Yes and thrice Yes.
    Have been saying this for the past month.
    Sign him up Arsene!

arrow-up.gif

Perry Groves has a boards account ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

arrow-up.gif

Perry Groves has a boards account ;)

You rumbled me.
    Anyone remember me destroying the toffeemen in league cup semi in 88?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Looks like Giroud wont be fit for the Spurs game. Probably Podolski up front again Id imagine. Its either him or Walcott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

shano_88 wrote: »
    Looks like Giroud wont be fit for the Spurs game. Probably Podolski up front again Id imagine. Its either him or Walcott.

Think we would be better with Walcott and pod from the left

Whoever players there the system has to change we can't hope to bounce balls off the cf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Whoever players there the system has to change we can't hope to bounce balls off the cf

Barca and Spain style 6 miss no cf!

Its hard to call. Will have to change the system a bit alright. Maybe Walcott deserves a shot.

Wenger has said were not looking at been.

So that's him signing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Wenger has said were not looking at been.

So that's him signing so.

For those that don't share your language or mine I will translate.

Wenger has said Berbatov is not a player we are considering

Soups123 wrote: »
    For those that don't share your language or mine I will translate.

Wenger has said Berbatov is not a player we are considering

Ha sorry meant berb.

Really think that been would provide a lot to our front line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Really think that been would provide a lot to our front line.

Im still shocked at people wanting us to sign Berbatov. When the chips are down and we need a goal he is not the man to provide that. He has shown this the last couple of years. There is a reason he is at Fulham now. I'd rather Lambert. At least he'd try for us.

Didn't a load of people not want Flamini as he was fairly rubbish in Italy over the last two seasons?

I'm not saying berb is the perfect answer, but he has premier league winning experience and Wenger is a good coach and motivator. Look at what Bendtners doing when he comes on for proof.

It's looking like we're aiming for Diego Costa, which would be nice, but I'd be wary of a bedding in period when we need the striker to hit the ground running.

Can we get both?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Didn't a load of people not want Flamini as he was fairly rubbish in Italy over the last two seasons?

I'm not saying berb is the perfect answer, but he has premier league winning experience and Wenger is a good coach and motivator. Look at what Bendtners doing when he comes on for proof.

It's looking like we're aiming for Diego Costa, which would be nice, but I'd be wary of a bedding in period when we need the striker to hit the ground running.

Can we get both?!

I would still take Costa over Berbatov any day.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I would still take Costa over Berbatov any day.

Of course! But Berba wouldn't be a bad plan b

Exactly...... While he is certainly not the best player out there he would
    a) surely fit in quite quickly
    b) be cheap which would leave possibility for a big money signing too.
    c) takes a mean penalty which could be important against Barca in May :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

But he wouldn't bother his b******* when we're losing and at his age it would be just another pay day for him.
    Could Wenger even motivate him I wonder?

No doubt he was a great player but his attitude sucks.

• Advertisement

The chance at getting another premier league medal for only half a seasons work?

Fairly motivating imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The chance at getting another premier league medal for only half a seasons work?

Fairly motivating imo.

Players seem to be motivated more by money and contracts than by medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wouldn't be crazy about berbs,great player but he likes to come deep to pick up the ball, passes it off, then makes no effort to get forward. Ideally I would like someone with pace and power.

I've probably been a little harsh on giroud against newcastle, he works so hard and offers a lot in hold up play and battling for the ball. But he definitely needs competition.

Also I think it's going to be tough to get a quality striker, we are competing with Chelsea for one.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be crazy about berbs,great player but he likes to come deep to pick up the ball, passes it off, then makes no effort to get forward. Ideally I would like someone with pace and power.

I've probably been a little harsh on giroud against newcastle, he works so hard and offers a lot in hold up play and battling for the ball. But he definitely needs competition.

Also I think it's going to be tough to get a quality striker, we are competing with Chelsea for one.

I reckon Wenger will stick with what he has.

When is the new young fella we got in the summer back? Sanogo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We need a striker but our parameters are pretty tight.

It's not like we're relegation candidates who could take any half decent player or say a club like Everton who just need a striker that would be an improvement on Jelavic.

We're in desperate need of a striker but we're also top of the league so the player has to be

A: really very good
    B: available
    C: able to slot into 4-3-3 as a lone front man
    D: able to offer something slightly different to Giroud for the future
    E: an improvement on Bendtner in this position

That doesn't leave us with a huge amount of players.

I'm not at all surprised that people are mentioning Berbatov as he meets lots of the criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gosplan wrote: »
    We need a striker but our parameters are pretty tight.

It's not like we're relegation candidates who could take any half decent player or say a club like Everton who just need a striker that would be an improvement on Jelavic.

We're in desperate need of a striker but we're also top of the league so the player has to be

A: really very good
    B: available
    C: able to slot into 4-3-3 as a lone front man
    D: able to offer something slightly different to Giroud for the future
    E: an improvement on Bendtner in this position

That doesn't leave us with a huge amount of players.

I'm not at all surprised that people are mentioning Berbatov as he meets lots of the criteria.

I think you have it all summed up there. As well as the parameters you have outlined we have to rule out unrealistic targets because it's January. Fair enough in the summer we can speculate on the Costa's, Cavani's and Martinez's but for now we have very very little to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I may as well add

E: content to sit on the bench

This would not apply to say, Higuain, who now that he's finally stopped crying at being knocked out of the CL is trying to engineer his way out of the club.

Fairly motivating imo.

Exactly, the chance of ending your career with a Premier League title should be reason enough to try harder. He isn't used to relegation battle after all the teams he has played for.

Ozil is back from his "Shoulder Injury"....

zp_461014029_SM_7389_E4_12D69D_7275.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Picture indicates the injury was bogus.

i reckon we'll see handsome Ollie on saturday too.

ronjo wrote: »
    You rumbled me.
    Anyone remember me destroying the toffeemen in league cup semi in 88?

We remember the tintin haircut bombing down the wing well. Great autobiography :D

Back when Blackburn Rovers were good and "King Kenny" was in charge, Dalglish wanted a specific midfielder to join the club.

Zidane was playing for Bordeaux in 1995 and Kenny Dalglish approached the team owner/chairman, Jack Walker, to express his interest in buying Zidane. To which, Jack Walker replied:

"Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?

...Tim ****ing Sherwood.

Zidane went on to sign for Juventus the next year.

Some of Berbatovs performances for Fulham this year have been nothing short of disgraceful.

Back when Blackburn Rovers were good and "King Kenny" was in charge, Dalglish wanted a specific midfielder to join the club.

Zidane was playing for Bordeaux in 1995 and Kenny Dalglish approached the team owner/chairman, Jack Walker, to express his interest in buying Zidane. To which, Jack Walker replied:

"Why do you want to sign Zidane when we have Tim Sherwood?

...Tim ****ing Sherwood.

Zidane went on to sign for Juventus the next year.

To be fair to Walker he was Blackburn through and through but unfortunately the majority of the English public believed that they were the best at football and that Zizou wouldnt fancy the cold Lancashire weather, etc.

At that time few could tell you much about players outside the premier league and there was a limit on foreign players. For the ones who lit up the PL there was the few like Thomas Brolin who bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

shano_88 wrote: »
    Some of Berbatovs performances for Fulham this year have been nothing short of disgraceful.

Not making excuses for him, but he seems to get frustrated playing with lesser players, saw him play against Everton a few weeks ago and that seemed the case. Receiving basic square passes that he could do nothing with, and expecting miracles.

Maybe Arsenal and Wenger would challenge him? Part of me would love to see him in an Arsenal shirt, but can't really see it happening.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Picture indicates the injury was bogus.

i reckon we'll see handsome Ollie on saturday too.

So he just got an unofficial break but the rest didnt?

entirely possible.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    entirely possible.

And given that we got full points was a great idea.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Not making excuses for him, but he seems to get frustrated playing with lesser players, saw him play against Everton a few weeks ago and that seemed the case. Receiving basic square passes that he could do nothing with, and expecting miracles.

Maybe Arsenal and Wenger would challenge him? Part of me would love to see him in an Arsenal shirt, but can't really see it happening.

Part of me wants to see him in an Arsenal shirt aswell. He's supremely talented and when motivated can be excellent.

Motivation is the hard part especially when Arsenal would only want him for a short term and he would be a back up player.

I thought this all along. Its his first season with no winter break and I have a feeling Wenger wanted to rest him without actually saying he was resting him. Same with Giroud, although he did take a knock, he played on and prob could have been used against cardiff if we needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why cant we just recall Joel Campbell from loan instead of bringing in Berbatov?

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why cant we just recall Joel Campbell from loan instead of bringing in Berbatov?

i'd be interested in this course of action too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Presumably Olympiakos paid for the loan so that means we wouldn't be able to recall him or at least it wouldn't be easy to

I don't really buy that Ozil's injury was fabricated but I can't really counter the arguments so I guess it definitely is a possibility.

Hypothetically, it would have been a master-stroke considering the results we got in the process, without needing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

well lads:cool:
    any likley team line ups for you lot and any one who are still injured and probably cant play the likes of Gnarby etc?

for us we are almost missing a full team quote from Timmay Sherwood

Tim on team news: "Jermain, Lewis and Andros are all back in training, which is good news. I spoke to Ade after United and he said he cramped up in all areas, but thankfully it has settled down and he's ready to perform. Sandro and Younes will hopefully be back in training next week."

Erik (thigh), Kyle Naughton (ankle, hamstring), Paulinho (ankle), Gylfi (calf) and Jan (ankle) are all out.
    :)
    fecking Dawson will prob be starting and I fear Giroud will get the better of him again:o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement