Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Players seem to be motivated more by money and contracts than by medals.

Offer him bonuses for goals, assists and medals and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

davycc wrote: »
    well lads:cool:
    any likley team line ups for you lot and any one who are still injured and probably cant play the likes of Gnarby etc?

You're very welcome.

Wenger has claimed that the game will be treated like a league match and that he will only rest those who are extremely tired and look like they may be an injury risk.

Arsenal have 9 days before their next game after this and if you think back to the League Cup tie against Bradford, where they had at least a weeks break after it, Wenger played close to a full strength side. So I can see him doing that again.

He said he was treating it like a league game so that would surely mean that Szczesny starts in goal but don't be surprised to see Fabianski there, who has performed really well in his latest performances in goal.

I'd expect a back 4 of Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal, but don't be surprised to see Vermaelen replace the most tired centre back. If Sagna is tired, Jenkinson will come in.

As for midfield, Ramsey will miss out and according to Wenger, Ozil may just be short of fitness (though he could still play).
    Flamini, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky and Cazorla will all be in contention to start.
    Walcott, Podolski and Gnabry are all available up top and on the wings but as Gnabry hasn't featured as centre forward for Arsenal yet, I doubt he will play there.

I assume Walcott will start up front, with Podolski or Cazorla on the left wing. Gnabry may start on the right but if he doesn't, he should get playing time in the 2nd half.

Giroud looks like he won't play. His ankle is better but he was sick over-night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why cant we just recall Joel Campbell from loan instead of bringing in Berbatov?

Would this even be beneficial though? Not championing Berbatov here cos I can't see it happening, but Campbell seems to be playing mostly wide right out in Greece, at least according to some match heat maps.

Bedding him into a new league in a position he hasn't played in a while might take some time. Not to mention for a youngster in the middle of a title race! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

cathalio11 wrote: »
    You're very welcome.

Wenger has claimed that the game will be treated like a league match and that he will only rest those who are extremely tired and look like they may be an injury risk.

Arsenal have 9 days before their next game after this and if you think back to the League Cup tie against Bradford, where they had at least a weeks break after it, Wenger played close to a full strength side. So I can see him doing that again.

He said he was treating it like a league game so that would surely mean that Szczesny starts in goal but don't be surprised to see Fabianski there, who has performed really well in his latest performances in goal.

I'd expect a back 4 of Sagna - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Monreal, but don't be surprised to see Vermaelen replace the most tired centre back. If Sagna is tired, Jenkinson will come in.

As for midfield, Ramsey will miss out and according to Wenger, Ozil may just be short of fitness (though he could still play).
    Flamini, Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky and Cazorla will all be in contention to start.
    Walcott, Podolski and Gnabry are all available up top and on the wings but as Gnabry hasn't featured as centre forward for Arsenal yet, I doubt he will play there.

I assume Walcott will start up front, with Podolski or Cazorla on the left wing. Gnabry may start on the right but if he doesn't, he should get playing time in the 2nd half.

Giroud looks like he won't play. His ankle is better but he was sick over-night.

Thanks Very much I didnt think Gnarby would be back but thanks for clearing it up along with the other probable starters..Im making a match thread on the spurs sc forum and didnt want to be guessing info on your team and be wide of the mark.:)

I hope Ozil does not start for obvious reasons he is capable of winning a game like this by himself without breaking into a sweat:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

davycc wrote: »
    Thanks Very much I didnt think Gnarby would be back but thanks for clearing it up along with the other probable starters..Im making a match thread on the spurs sc forum and didnt want to be guessing info on your team and be wide of the mark.:)

I hope Ozil does not start for obvious reasons he is capable of winning a game like this by himself without breaking into a sweat:D

this will be a high intensity match, looking forward to it.

lots of talk about our wunderkid Gideon Zelalem getting a run out

he's quite the talent at 16 years old. i think it could be too big a game for him though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Would this even be beneficial though? Not championing Berbatov here cos I can't see it happening, but Campbell seems to be playing mostly wide right out in Greece, at least according to some match heat maps.

Bedding him into a new league in a position he hasn't played in a while might take some time. Not to mention for a youngster in the middle of a title race! :eek:

Makes his scoring return all the more impressive considering he is been deployed out on the wing, it was something like 6 goals and 6 assists in 13 games last time I looked. I would be of the opinion that if he was recalled, the few months until the end of the season with us would only benefit him in that he would have been giving sufficient time to have adjusted to the premier league so he is raring to go for the beginning of next season.

EDIT - he has in fact 7 goals and 9 assists in 15 starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Would be great to see Zelalem play but don't know if a North London Derby is the best place to make your full Arsenal debut. Could backfire greatly.

dvemail wrote: »
    Would be great to see Zelalem play but don't know if a North London Derby is the best place to make your full Arsenal debut. Could backfire greatly.

Plus if there is any kind of gail force winds that they've been having in London lately the poor lad might end up in the Thames :pac:

Zelalem is technically brilliant. His creativity and passing ability is already up there with some of the best in the world.

The lad is only a school-kid though. He is nowhere near strong enough to play for Arsenal on a regular basis yet.

I am really looking forward to him though.

Just unfortunate he was injured over October / November.
    Would say he would have gotten a run out in the Carling Cup. If were lucky enough to make into the 4th round, then maybe we can play him then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I dont get the point of faking Ozils injury? Why not just say he needs a rest and not play him?

Jaafa wrote: »
    I dont get the point of faking Ozils injury? Why not just say he needs a rest and not play him?

If were to have lost any of our games of the festive period then people would be giving out saying why didn't we play our best player.
    I would reckon if we lost any of those matches then that photo wouldn't have been posted. Would be a lot of angry fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Zelalem is technically brilliant. His creativity and passing ability is already up there with some of the best in the world.

The lad is only a school-kid though. He is nowhere near strong enough to play for Arsenal on a regular basis yet.

I am really looking forward to him though.

Yea I noticed him myself during the summer when your aisan tour games were on live....bags of skill and ability and a great testament to your youth development policy and kids know if they are good enough they will get a real game ,regardless of their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

If were to have lost any of our games of the festive period then people would be giving out saying why didn't we play our best player.
    I would reckon if we lost any of those matches then that photo wouldn't have been posted. Would be a lot of angry fans.

I guess so, but I mean a lot of fans were very vocal in saying some players needed a rest and the last few games were identified as good times to do so. But who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'd have Zelalem on the bench. If we're winning, throw him on for the last ~20 minutes to see how he manages. Wouldnt be relying on him to get us the win though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

If they're going to make it they're going to be playing in these matches and playing well in them. So I'd probably start Zelalem tbh. He's an AM too so it's not like any mistakes are gonna shatter his confidence like they would a defender or keeper. Give him 60 mins in that atmosphere.

Gnabry should start too.

Bellerin's loan extended to the end of the season - I wonder is he the reason we've not signed up Bac yet? I think it's a touch foolish if so; Sagna has a wealth of experience to pass onto Jenkinson and Bellerin and still has a couple of seasons in him. Versatility too; he's done solid jobs across the back 4 for us when we've been stuck. Comes off as being Arsenal through and through too. It'd be a mistake letting him go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jaafa wrote: »
    I guess so, but I mean a lot of fans were very vocal in saying some players needed a rest and the last few games were identified as good times to do so. But who knows.

True but that same fans calling for a rest would turn it around had we dropped silly points

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Spurs are a hot/cold type of team. Vital we score first

With regards team selection, I am 99.9% sure we will play our strongest team available to us and so we should. Next game is 9 days away so the players will have had plenty of time to freshen up for the trip to Villa Park.

With regards team selection, I am 99.9% sure we will play our strongest team available to us and so we should. Next game is 9 days away so the players will have plenty time to freshen up for the trip to Villa Park.
    This plus we need to win a trophy, this club needs to return to a winning mentality and cup wins are huge in that regard. I'd love am FA cup

• Advertisement

I would just like to say that there is no team I want Arsenal to absolutely crush more than Aston Villa.

I would just like to say that there is no team I want Arsenal to absolutely crush more than Aston Villa.

Well maybe....... Spurs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

With regards team selection, I am 99.9% sure we will play our strongest team available to us and so we should. Next game is 9 days away so the players will have had plenty of time to freshen up for the trip to Villa Park.

True but at the same time you don't want to risk players that are carrying injuries. Sounds like Ozil and Giroud may be available at a stretch yet there is a risk of exacerbating injury so he may leave them be.

For some reason I have an unsettled feeling about this tomorrow. I think we could get turned over here or worse again - a draw!

True but at the same time you don't want to risk players that are carrying injuries. Sounds like Ozil and Giroud may be available at a stretch yet there is a risk of exacerbating injury so he may leave them be.

For some reason I have an unsettled feeling about this tomorrow. I think we could get turned over here or worse again - a draw!

Stick them on the bench if there fit enough, but talk of Zelalem playing is silly, the lad is only a kid and unless he is Messi-esque there is no way on earth he is ready for a fixture of this magnitude. I think were due a really good performance and tomorrow is the day it will happen. I predict a cosy 3-1 win, we will kill them in the midfield battle.

Stick them on the bench if there fit enough, but talk of Zelalem playing is silly, the lad is only a kid and unless he is Messi-esque there is no way on earth he is ready for a fixture of this magnitude. I think were due a really good performance and tomorrow is the day it will happen. I predict a cosy 3-1 win, we will kill them in the midfield battle.

Agreed, it's too big a game to play him.
    Gnabry would be better suited to the right though if we do play Walcott through the middle. He has a bit of first team experience under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's great to have young lads around the senior set-up as they will learn things BUT putting young light lads on against big physically tough men is not the right thing to do.

A serious knock could ruin them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Will wenger buy this January do ye think lads?
    Theres talk of costa? Hard to see us buying anyone big but the season thats in it and the title on the line and giroud and bendtner injured?

Will wenger buy this January do ye think lads?
    Theres talk of costa? Hard to see us buying anyone big but the season thats in it and the title on the line and giroud and bendtner injured?

If we spend 40m on Costa during the January window I'll buy you all a pint.;)

Agreed, it's too big a game to play him.
    Gnabry would be better suited to the right though if we do play Walcott through the middle. He has a bit of first team experience under his belt.

Yeah good shout and his pace will pin back Rose from getting forward meaning there threat from the left flank will be minimum as I feel Eriksen is more of a central player than a winger. Just noticed we are at home too, for some reason I thought this was at White Hart Lane :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in the pub an hour ago after work and heard Wenger denying he's going for Berbatov!

DenMan wrote: »
    Was in the pub an hour ago after work and heard Wenger denying he's going for Berbatov!

What pub was he in?
    Didn't even know he drank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

All our goals from August - December, we've scored some great goals.

http://vimeo.com/83254630

The schadenfreunde is strong atm:

http://strettynews.com/reality-bites-a-post-spurs-rant/
    “If we hadn’t seen such riches we could live with being poor.” Bo**ocks. Being poor is sh*t.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

so......... is Joel Campbell sheeyite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What pub was he in?
    Didn't even know he drank :D

I imagine him with a glass of red chateaux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stolen from the humour thread but is nice to see Merts finally getting the recognition he deserves he had a shaky start at Arsenal but solid enough imo was always a calming influence on the defence bar one or two errors and pundits and fans alike labeling him not good enough before they had even seen him play.

Well here's to all those who were wrong

BdDeKkaCAAAqCEw.png

Stolen from the humour thread but is nice to see Merts finally getting the recognition he deserves he had a shaky start at Arsenal but solid enough imo was always a calming influence on the defence bar one or two errors and pundits and fans alike labeling him not good enough before they had even seen him play.

Well here's to all those who were wrong

BdDeKkaCAAAqCEw.png
    The inclusion of Gerard makes that a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    so......... is Joel Campbell sheeyite?

Hi

Soups123 wrote: »
    The inclusion of Gerard makes that a joke

Hey I wouldn't have , Jagielka, Carrick or Howard in there either but still glad to see Merts get some recognition.

Hey I wouldn't have , Jagielka, Carrick or Howard in there either but still glad to see Merts get some recognition.

Yeah but Gerrard is worse than all them, Carrick was very good for Fergie in 2013, Howard is understandable. Mert and Kos have been oustanding

• Advertisement

People follow what the media says and the media have been bigging up Gerrard no end even though Liverpool seem to be playing much better football without him.
    Gerard will probably be captaining England in this years World Cup so there won't be any negative press on him.

Gerrard should be nowhere near that team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Maire2009 wrote: »
    All our goals from August - December, we've scored some great goals.

http://vimeo.com/83254630

I forgot to put in the link earlier :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Apparently we have activated Costas release clause.

Well according to marca...

Not true it seems unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not true it seems unfortunately.

Were you talking to Wenger in the pub too?

Ah and it's off here comes the silly season.

I kinda love and hate it in equal measure.

FUUCK!

Quazzie wrote: »
    Were you talking to Wenger in the pub too?

No it was one of those "ITK" that started the rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Quick question guys...just wondering does anyone know what the difference is between the full red membership and the "lite" version which is £5 cheaper? Can]t see any info on the site about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement