Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That's Theo out for Liverpool bayern and probably United.

Ughh.

The link says a month so hopefully that's a maximum. That put's him back the 3rd of February and we play Liverpool on the 8th. That would place him in contention for Liverpool, United and certainly Bayern.

As echoed by most others here Walcott has improved as a centre forward but no good against teams that set up very defensively where hold up play and strength are essential. Spurs played into our hands. Dream stuff.

That said he is now an option against strong teams who attack us or play a high line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The link says a month so hopefully that's a maximum. That put's him back the 3rd of February and we play Liverpool on the 8th. That would place him in contention for Liverpool, United and certainly Bayern.

As echoed by most others here Walcott has improved as a centre forward but no good against teams that set up very defensively where hold up play and strength are essential. Spurs played into our hands. Dream stuff.

That said he is now an option against strong teams who attack us or play a high line.

It's not gonna be bang on a month to the day and judging by Wengers 2-3 week comments in the past that end up been months, sorry if i'm not too confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Wenger did say that he may have to move for a striker is Bendtner is out for a long period. Now with Walcott sitting beside him in the stands, Wenger has to go for somebody.
    This is our best chance to win a title in years, not worth the risk to buy nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

campbell plays on the right mainly it seems, i'm not sure what real use he'd be atm.
    i'd rather just use Gnabry more, chamberlain is back training too or continue on as most of the season with no real wide right player (not ideal but it's worked).
    sanogo is supposed to back training in january as well , a more natural CF isn't he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong I love Giroud but I just thought we looked very good going forward, were much quicker from defense to attack.

I think that is mainly down to Rosciky as well. The last game Poldi was blamed for not being great up front by himself and while that may be true to a degree and we seemed to get instantly better when he came off, it was Rosciky that replaced him, who does improve and speed up our attack and give better service to the frontmen.

I noticed it even last year, that Roscky does seem to speed up our attack whereas Arteta can be more ponderous or slow on the counter attack. The main problem with Rosicky is that he does seem to misplace a lot of simple passes or just give the ball away cheaply. He does try to make it up again but others tend not to make the mistake in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looking at Gnabry against Spurs and every other time he has played this season I'm really suprised he hasn't got more game time he certainly good enough to trouble most teams.

Raging Walcott is out now he was really finding form and troubling most teams such a shame. Wenger really has to go for a CF now even on loan it our weakest point of the team were threadbare now.

Hope we don't have to revert back to playing Wilshere on the wing again. He's starting to find form again in the middle.

It's not gonna be bang on a month to the day and judging by Wengers 2-3 week comments in the past that end up been months, sorry if i'm not too confident.

Ya I get ya but most of the injury estimations this year have been fairly accurate and looking at the incident it appears to be some strain to the knee so hopefully no complications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

greendom wrote: »
    Especially as contract negotiations will take a month and the player will end up signing at the same time as Walcott/Bendtner resume full training. We also have Oxlade Chamberlain resuming training this week. He'll probably be on the bench for the Villa game.

Anyway let's see the official results of the scan tomorrow for the full extent of Walcott's injury.

Spot on, is Oxo out since Villa?

• Advertisement

Spot on, is Oxo out since Villa?

Yip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Giroud probably has more clearances from corners than any other Arsenal player

That would be Mertesacker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Nice home draw against Coventry who are mid table in league 1.

Also kalou linked, decent goal scoring stats, I remember watching him at Chelsea the seasonIhe left and he was shocking, maybe he just didn't care but not really a player I would want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Also kalou linked, decent goal scoring stats, I remember watching him at Chelsea the seasonIhe left and he was shocking, maybe he just didn't care but not really a player I would want.

Welcome to every transfer window ever. We're always linked with him, we never go for him, and we all breath a sigh of relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tbh any player we sign this window has to be challenging for a place in the first 11. Otherwise we end up with another Squillaci or Silvestre. While I think Berbatov would be a decent bet, ultimately the club has to start targeting Ozil style purchases with buying up younger talent before they're properly discovered - AW mentioned this in a presser the other day.

Yes, it's great signing players as it gives the impression that we're doing something but the more I look at it (Spurs in particular) the more I respect AW for his "top top quality" mantra. Otherwise we end up with Kalou/Ba/Tiote/Cesar type players who aren't good enough for a team with trophy aspirations.

We should be looking at signing a Vidal or Pogba along with a Shaw each window. That's just an example btw but it's how the strategy should be imo. Your Silvestre's and Squillaci's of this world can fuuuuuck off!

Edit: Just looking at Serie A players; Rossi is someone I'd love to see us sign. A real Plan B to Ollie Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

cson wrote: »
    Tbh any player we sign this window has to be challenging for a place in the first 11. Otherwise we end up with another Squillaci or Silvestre. While I think Berbatov would be a decent bet, ultimately the club has to start targeting Ozil style purchases with buying up younger talent before they're properly discovered - AW mentioned this in a presser the other day.

Yes, it's great signing players as it gives the impression that we're doing something but the more I look at it (Spurs in particular) the more I respect AW for his "top top quality" mantra. Otherwise we end up with Kalou/Ba/Tiote/Cesar type players who aren't good enough for a team with trophy aspirations.

We should be looking at signing a Vidal or Pogba along with a Shaw each window. That's just an example btw but it's how the strategy should be imo. Your Silvestre's and Squillaci's of this world can fuuuuuck off!

Edit: Just looking at Serie A players; Rossi is someone I'd love to see us sign. A real Plan B to Ollie Giroud.

Rossi just got injured again I think. Third time doing his knee in.

Think we should be looking at a loan deal for someone like Morata because as you say, we're not going to sign someone permanently in this window that's really good enough for first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Berbatov to sign before Villa game.

My ridiculous prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arseblog has an interesting schedule this morning. If Wally and Bendtner are out for a month, then it's not too bad in terms of upcoming games provided they're back for the pool game on the 8th.

Think it goes Villa(A), Fulham(H), Coventry(H), Southampton(A), Palace(H).

Really it shouldn't be too much for any of the players. Giroud would probably have to play all of them unless Pod would work for the Coventry game.

Overall though, it's not the worst over the next month and then we should hopefully have Wally, Nicky B and Ramsey back for the tough run in.

City have a couple of tricky matches away to Newcastle and Spurs. You wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up the maximum though.

However they do play Chelsea the week we play palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Realistically we need to gain some points on City and Chelsea in the next month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wenger saying he knew about Lewandowski to Bayern 18 months ago, that transfer reeks.

Still think we need to sign a striker, and I think the no value/availability in January claims are a myth. Not got the time to research right now but off the top of my head Torres, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Arshavin, Walcott, Ba, Cisse, Vidic, Reyes etc. all moved in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

AdamD wrote: »
    Wenger saying he knew about Lewandowski to Bayern 18 months ago, that transfer reeks.

Still think we need to sign a striker, and I think the no value/availability in January claims are a myth. Not got the time to research right now but off the top of my head Torres, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Arshavin, Walcott, Ba, Cisse, Vidic, Reyes etc. all moved in January

Arsenal dont need a top class striker if they can keep Walcott fit, a decent back up will do them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

You missed the one and only Andy Carroll. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Welcome to every transfer window ever. We're always linked with him, we never go for him, and we all breath a sigh of relief.
    Ah now Villa were linked to Keane since his Coventry days and he ended up at us for a while in the end, so keep the faith Kalou might end up with ye yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Giroud probably has more clearances from corners than any other Arsenal player
    That would be Mertesacker

I would have to disagree with that and the confidence in which you said it.

Giroud is almost always stationed on the front post when defending corners and I've seen him on many occasion heading those away while Mertesacker usually marks the opponents biggest aerial threat.

That being said, you may very well just be right, but I don't think it's that obvious.

I know that we are all disappointed with Walcott being injured and also slightly disappointed with Bendtner being ruled out for 4-6 weeks.

But let's be honest, I think we're all a little excited with these guys being injured, just for the prospects of adding another player.

I know there are people who claim that they never read rumours because they are bull**** but honestly, most of us do (myself included) and they're great fun while they last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Will it not be time to give Sanogo a go, he should be back from injury soon, he is 20, he's not a kid, I haven't seen anything of him yet but his record isn't too bad. I'm not expecting much from Wenger in this window, and I don't believe Berbatov will be signed either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Will it not be time to give Sanogo a go, he should be back from injury soon, he is 20, he's not a kid, I haven't seen anything of him yet but his record isn't too bad. I'm not expecting much from Wenger in this window, and I don't believe Berbatov will be signed either.

He scored a lot of goals in like 2 or 3 games in the lower French league. I don't think he's ready yet and would be disappointed if he led the line when the transfer window is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

See little to suggest Sanogo is anything other than a dud. Came in as an injury prone striker and has sadly lived up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

keano_afc wrote: »
    See little to suggest Sanogo is anything other than a dud. Came in as an injury prone striker and has sadly lived up to that.

To be fair to Wenger it seemed like a good decision.
    You have a young french striker who's just played great for the France u21 and he's going to be a free transfer in the summer.

It was worth the small risk.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    He scored a lot of goals in like 2 or 3 games in the lower French league. I don't think he's ready yet and would be disappointed if he led the line when the transfer window is open.

Oh ye I forgot Auxerre were in Ligue 2. I wouldn't expect him to lead the line but he can't be any worse off the bench than Bendtner. Everyone is over-priced in January so I can't see Wenger doing much business.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh ye I forgot Auxerre were in Ligue 2. I wouldn't expect him to lead the line but he can't be any worse off the bench than Bendtner. Everyone is over-priced in January so I can't see Wenger doing much business.

Ah here, I know Bendtner ain't world class and isn't very well liked but from what I've seen of Sanogo he's nowhere near the same level in terms of experience and quality.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah here, I know Bendtner ain't world class and isn't very well liked but from what I've seen of Sanogo he's nowhere near the same level in terms of experience and quality.

As I already said, I've haven't seen Sanogo play yet so I can't don't know how good, or bad he is. I would be very surprised if he was much worse than Bendtner though. Is Sanogo really not good enough to plug a hole until Walcott and Bentdner return? I really don't think anyone worth signing will be signed this month, maybe a loan deal for Morata would be the best deal for us.

Well in reply to you Yaya, I think Arsenal would be fine for a game or two even by just playing with 10 men and no striker, let alone putting someone like Gnabry or another midfielder up front.

We are so, so dominant against small teams before the ball gets to the striker that I don't think Sanogo would be too much of a hindrance at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

in 156 PL minutes Bendtner has 2 goals, both of which were very important. Can we drop the 'can't be as bad as Bendtner' line?

in 156 PL minutes Bendtner has 2 goals, both of which were very important. Can we drop the 'can't be as bad as Bendtner' line?

No. Is that all it takes to forget the countless terrible performances?

Re Sanogo, he was probably Frances most important player in the U21s behind Pogba.
    From what i saw in that tournament he was well able to link up and shoot. Not sure on his ability as a lone striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No. Is that all it takes to forget the countless terrible performances?

It's all relative.Bendtner has found some form, so why keep looking to the past as a way to assess the present. Doesn't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Sanogo from the 2 times I've seen him in the flesh was rubbish for Arsenal. Against Fennerbache at home and Fulham away he looked an awful long way behind what you would want in a striker to lead the line.

Admittedly it was only about 30 minutes of the Fennerbache game at home and probably 10 minutes against Fulham and he was like a headless chicken. Against Fenner his 1st touch was atrocious and whilst he has speed, he reminded me of a quick Jason Lee.

Maybe over time he will be a diamond but I would much prefer Super Nic (even though he is ****e) at the moment. For his many many faults, and I'd still like shot of him, his 2 goals have been crucial.

We need a new striker. But whether Arsene will go for a stop gap I doubt it. I hope so.

The FA has confirmed there will be no action against Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Surprised there hasn't been any more mention of Jackson Martinez, about the only truly high quality striker that seems gettable this January. I wonder would a €20m bid get Porto's attention.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Diego Costa has a release clause according to the Atletico Sporting Director (source: Marca). The fee being mentioned is £31m but there seems to be confusion over the tax implications, which might mean the actual figure could be substantially higher. Didn't seem to affect Bayern's signing of Javi Martinez though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Diego Costa has a release clause according to the Atletico Sporting Director (source: Marca). The fee being mentioned is £31m but there seems to be confusion over the tax implications, which might mean the actual figure could be substantially higher. Didn't seem to affect Bayern's signing of Javi Martinez though...

Atletico fancy their chances of winning something this season. I would be very surprised if they let him go before the Summer.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Surprised there hasn't been any more mention of Jackson Martinez, about the only truly high quality striker that seems gettable this January. I wonder would a €20m bid get Porto's attention.

Think his valuation is in the region of the £30 million mark?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Atletico fancy their chances of winning something this season. I would be very surprised if they let him go before the Summer.
    Well if he has a release clause as is claimed in Marca it's only the player that matters.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    "I cheered for Arsenal when I was a kid" – I love their style of play,’ said Martinez to reporters. ‘It’s flowing and open with a lot of first touch passes. It would be suitable for a player like me. If I get a chance to play for a high level club like Arsenal I wouldn’t hesitate to accept it."
    "I have a buy-out clause for £32 million, maybe someone will activate it."

He's been whoring himself about these past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's been whoring himself about these past few weeks.

Is he actually any use? He's 27, thought he was much younger for some reason.

• Advertisement

Is he actually any use? He's 27, thought he was much younger for some reason.

He's pretty lethal.
    But he has been playing in portugal so it'd be a risk.

Very similar to Negredo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No punishment for Walcott over reminding Spurs fans of the score. Right decision.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's pretty lethal.
    But he has been playing in portugal so it'd be a risk.

Very similar to Negredo.

I'd happily take another Negredo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

His record in Portugal is up there with Falcao's. I think he is gettable, although Porto are usually very shrewd and if he lives up to his potential at the World Cup which he well might he'd be a €50m+ player, so they might want to hang on to him til summer. Surely worth a punt though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://football-talk.co.uk/87226/draxler-left-impressed-following-tour-of-arsenals-training-facilities/

Draxler shown around London Colney ahead of possible summer move.

Quotes in the link.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement