Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

HazDanz wrote: »
    Also, Mert. Loving the rage towards Cazorla after that goal went in!

He's a real leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FearDark wrote: »
    +1

Not just Ramsey and Walcott we miss making those runs, Giroud makes awful runs, loves standing behind defenders ready to flick a ball on or hold it up instead of making an intelligent run.

We have nobody capable or fast enough to get in behind a defence and make the byline since Walcott got injured. Nobody even trying to take on his man except Monrael tonight. Gnabry is young and he is learning but he kept getting drawn into the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We have nobody capable or fast enough to get in behind a defence and make the byline since Walcott got injured. Nobody even trying to take on his man except Monrael tonight. Gnabry is young and he is learning but he kept getting drawn into the middle.

I thot Sagna got in, whenever Gnabry tried to make a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I thot Sagna got in, whenever Gnabry tried to make a run.

Gibbs made a couple of forceful runs too. We do look less dynamic without Walcott though.

As good as the wins have been, we could be more clinical with the ball, instead of just passing the ball to the death. A bit more direct approach wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Despite the win ozil doesn't look the happiest of campers but that's just opinion. Better teams than villa should see especially without walcott how to play against arsenal. The lack of movement up front was unreal, even with Gnabry who just didn't turn up tonight. Santi had a howler of a game too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Very pedestrian last night. Reinforcements required to keep up momentum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Despite the win ozil doesn't look the happiest of campers but that's just opinion. Better teams than villa should see especially without walcott how to play against arsenal. The lack of movement up front was unreal, even with Gnabry who just didn't turn up tonight. Santi had a howler of a game too.

In fairness if you were Ozil playing on a Monday night in Villa park you probable would have the same head on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seeing gnabry start and the ox come on I reckon podolski have 4 months to save his arsenal career
    But I reckon he won't have a future at the club

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Seeing gnabry start and the ox come on I reckon podolski have 4 months to save his arsenal career
    But I reckon he won't have a future at the club

Reading that crock of shit ESPNFC article?

He's only back from a long lay off and is an important player for the second half of the season. Podolski doesnt need to save anything. His Arsenal career is very safe.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Reading that crock of shit ESPNFC article?

He's only back from a long lay off and is an important player for the second half of the season. Podolski doesnt need to save anything. His Arsenal career is very safe.

We will see, how long was the ox out for??

We're actively looking for a left winger and wenger won't play him up top, remember he started gervinho ahead of him there last season

So how exactly is his arsenal career very safe, can you tell me where he will play??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We're actively looking for a left winger and wenger won't play him up top, remember he started gervinho ahead of him there last season

So how exactly is his arsenal career very safe, can you tell me where he will play??

If everyone was fit, Wilshere, Flamini or Arteta would be left out. Does that mean they need to save their careers too? Not being an automatic starter does not mean you are on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Wenger wasn't starting Walcott straight after his injury either, people on arsenal-mania started a thread asking if Walcott had a future at Arsenal :pac:

Podolski will probably start against Fulham with Carzola on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Good win 3 points and as maintained all along if we could get 19+ points between the Chelsea game and before we play Liverpool that should leave us out in front - Southampton away being the sticky one.

Negatives:

Terrible second half performance and little attacking threat.

Ozil - cannot believe some posters on here saying he played well. I know I keep on at times but for a £42 million signing and supposedly a top ten world player it's not good enough, it really is not and it's not just tonight. Did well for first goal but passes all night were poor. That's the reality and he should not be exempt from criticism - I expect much much better. Seems to me a good few Arsenal fans are afraid to say it's been a little bit disappointing in terms of overall impact (awaits usual 'that'sthe type of player he is' - 'have you watched him in Spain ' - 'he comes alive every three games and provides a moment of brillinace' defence).

Goals and Pace - I think without Theo we are going to struggle overall. Unless Ramsey keeps up his pre injury form I am worried about where goals will come from on a consistent basis. Giroud who I admire greatly will get his few but looking at tonight I am a little worried going forward.

Positives:

We were clinical with our chances we did create and won. Giroud scoring and Wilshere's creative force.

Our GK and defense, particularly Mert and Kos. They did not deserve to concede a goal tonight and as you could see from the BFG's reaction the blame for that goal lays with Cazorla as the defence were stepping out.

Ox's return.

Serge Gnabry - Not spectacular but a good performance.

It's not this guy's skill, speed or strength that impresses me but his attitude, awareness and maturity, it's scary.It's like Theo doesn't even have these elements yet despite his experience. Scary and great thing for us - he has this unbelievable maturity yet he is only going to get faster, stronger and better!

We are top of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Monreal was brilliant.

Hope his injury isn't serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

6/10 for last nights performance.

Alarming for me was how we totally lost our shape in final 10/15 mins, Giroud dropped deep, meaning the GK could come up to the halfway line and drop long balls into our box. Someone should really have been putting some preasure on him, just to stop him coming so far up the field.

Lack of committment in making runs past Giroud, majority of play was in front of Villa. Not shooting when oppurtunities arouse was also a bit worrying.

Cazorla poor enough again last night really, surely Poldi to start against Fulham. Wenger could start to call on him soon when goals are needed later in the season and a few games under the belt now are important.

Defence outstanding again last night, Per really developing into the leader, love that he goes mad with whoever makes a clanger in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

I had a dream last night that Villa equalised at the end!!!!

Woke up this morning and had to think for a few seconds what the result was.
    Happy fcuking days :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Folks; injuries accepted but how poor has Santi been this year? Serious 2nd season syndrome. Having said that, a decent proportion of the blame has to go to the Confederations Cup shite that meant he's had 2 years non stop essentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Gnabry was playing to instructions last night. His attacking play was not up to the same standard as against Spurs but his defensive side was brilliant. I lost track of the number of times he was back tackling and blocking shots and runs in our half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Mertesacker and Koscielny

mertkos-1024x576.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

cson wrote: »
    Folks; injuries accepted but how poor has Santi been this year? Serious 2nd season syndrome. Having said that, a decent proportion of the blame has to go to the Confederations Cup shite that meant he's had 2 years non stop essentially.
    Really off his game - he could do with a little shoulder niggle and a rest for 2 or 3 matches. We really need him at his best if we're going to continue to challenge this year

"Lets see where they are in October" "Lets see where they are by December" "They've got tough games over Christmas"
    "They have a tough run in February and March"

Tipping along nicely I think

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The truth of the matter is that Feb/March are the crunch months. Win certain games during that period and it will make it difficult for our rivals to catch us. The City game at home I think is crucial for us to win if we have desires on the title. The Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd games are equally important but if we beat City then we can afford to draw some of these and still be in good shape.

Although we got an important 3pts last night I still can't help feeling that City or Chelsea would have put that Villa side to the sword after such a quick double strike. Those teams know how to kill off games. We're still a bit naive in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Although we got an important 3pts last night I still can't help feeling that City or Chelsea would have put that Villa side to the sword after such a quick double strike. Those teams know how to kill off games. We're still a bit naive in that regard

I think that might be a tad harsh on us.
    Both ourselves and Chelsea have dropped 5 points from winning positions (and 3 of ours were first game) this season and City have dropped 8.
    I am not saying they are weaker than us in this regard but I think we are pretty resilient too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

ronjo wrote: »
    I think that might be a tad harsh on us.
    Both ourselves and Chelsea have dropped 5 points from winning positions (and 3 of ours were first game) this season and City have dropped 8.
    I am not saying they are weaker than us in this regard but I think we are pretty resilient too.

Plus Villa have already beaten City at home

The problem is, and was highlighted during the City game, at some point we need to kill off games and not let the opposition back into it. You take your foot off the gas and you'll lose more points than making sure the game is out of reach. I'm not only talking about games that we have gone ahead in. For the most part we dominate games but still dont convert that into maximum return

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Great result last night. I think what the game showed is how badly we need a striker with pace as backup for giroud. When the pressure was on the out ball should have been a dink in behind them, but we didn't have anyone with the pace that could trouble them. Giroud does a great job but when our backs are against the wall we need a plan B. Wenger needs to invest to keep our challenge on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Don't know why, but i've got a hunch we're gonna try hijack Defoes move to the MLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I think if we can turn over City and Chelsea we'll win the title. Need to get 12 points from the next 4 fixtures though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's a done deal, contracts signed, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

maximoose wrote: »
    It's a done deal, contracts signed, no?

Maybe it is. Its just something that popped into my head over the weekend. My hunches are usually way off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We seem.to invite an onslaught in the last bit of games when were winning , obviously it's Wenger trying to shore up the defence by bringing on defense players, it's working so far but it's only a matter of time before we throw away a lead.

Theo was great for the counter attack when teams have us against a wall.

We seem.to invite an onslaught in the last bit of games when were winning , obviously it's Wenger trying to shore up the defence by bringing on defense players, it's working so far but it's only a matter of time before we throw away a lead.

That's what I was thinking may we should have someone like Ozil/Gnabry or OX as the last man instead of Giroud in those last 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Hector Bellerin has been denied permission to feature for Watford in tonights FA Cup clash , by parent club Arsenal.
    What would be the reasoning for that, is he in Wengers plans for 2014 or they just dont want him invovled. Seems a strange one.
    Great result last night , well done lads, and it completed an accumulator for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Hector Bellerin has been denied permission to feature for Watford in tonights FA Cup clash , by parent club Arsenal.
    What would be the reasoning for that, is he in Wengers plans for 2014 or they just dont want him invovled. Seems a strange one.
    Great result last night , well done lads, and it completed an accumulator for me.

Something to do with Monreals injury i would imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness, and I'm a big Theo fan, he wasn't at all.

He was great at getting involved in promising counter attacks but his decision making at those times has been awful

I'd say Wenger sat down, studied it all and came to the conclusion that we're throwing games because we're focused on counter attacking when we're ahead.

We didn't lose our shape last night. We purposefully retreated and sat deep in a 4-1-4-1 and trusted that if we were basically just allowing their goalie to take free kick outs that we'd repell it.

It's so nerve racking for us but it's intelligent football as shown by the fact it keeps working.

The last silly goal we conceded in this manner was vrs Dortmund.

Aside from that we blew the opening match against Villa and conceded a super quick equaliser to Everton.

So far this approach has worked perfectly.

Would we be saying the same if our policy was to try and nick a third in the last 10 mins of last night's match.

History would tell us no.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Although this tactic is getting us over the line (JUST) I fear that if it continues a lot of us will have weak hearts and no finger nails by the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Good win 3 points and as maintained all along if we could get 19+ points between the Chelsea game and before we play Liverpool that should leave us out in front - Southampton away being the sticky one.

Negatives:

Terrible second half performance and little attacking threat.

Ozil - cannot believe some posters on here saying he played well. I know I keep on at times but for a £42 million signing and supposedly a top ten world player it's not good enough, it really is not and it's not just tonight. Did well for first goal but passes all night were poor. That's the reality and he should not be exempt from criticism - I expect much much better. Seems to me a good few Arsenal fans are afraid to say it's been a little bit disappointing in terms of overall impact (awaits usual 'that'sthe type of player he is' - 'have you watched him in Spain ' - 'he comes alive every three games and provides a moment of brillinace' defence).

Goals and Pace - I think without Theo we are going to struggle overall. Unless Ramsey keeps up his pre injury form I am worried about where goals will come from on a consistent basis. Giroud who I admire greatly will get his few but looking at tonight I am a little worried going forward.

Positives:

We were clinical with our chances we did create and won. Giroud scoring and Wilshere's creative force.

Our GK and defense, particularly Mert and Kos. They did not deserve to concede a goal tonight and as you could see from the BFG's reaction the blame for that goal lays with Cazorla as the defence were stepping out.

Ox's return.

Serge Gnabry - Not spectacular but a good performance.

It's not this guy's skill, speed or strength that impresses me but his attitude, awareness and maturity, it's scary.It's like Theo doesn't even have these elements yet despite his experience. Scary and great thing for us - he has this unbelievable maturity yet he is only going to get faster, stronger and better!

We are top of the league.

I think a lot of fans/people still dont know what we bought, Ozil has never been a high involvement type player, he has always been low involvement high effect, hitting top figures in the things that really matter the business end of the pitch. For me he is doing that could he do more sure, is he doing enough for his first 15/18 games in English football, for sure

• Advertisement

Better teams than Villa will score with that type of tactic

Better teams than Villa will score against that tactic

Although this tactic is getting us over the line (JUST) I fear that if it continues a lot of us will have weak hearts and no finger nails by the end of the season.

But this tactic will cost us against top teams...

also Poldi not looking impressed

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/14/unhappy-bunny-lukas-podolski-reacts-angrily-to-being-left-on-arsenal-bench-4261929/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

If we win the title it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

wawaman wrote: »
    Something to do with Monreals injury i would imagine

He wasn't allowed to play in their previous game either so don't think it's related to this. Maybe Wenger is just being over cautious in case Bac and Jenks are injured when we reach the final! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its on twitter that Holtby is supposed to be rejoining Schalke so that Draxler can move to us O_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its on twitter that Holtby is supposed to be rejoining Schalke so that Draxler can move to us O_O

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ancelotti re selling Ozil:
    "I think we made a mistake when we gave him the possibility to leave the club."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well if twitter says it! :-)

Fingers crossed anyhow

I think he was set to come on but with the injury to TR Arsene went with Ox instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Screw you Super-Rush :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement