Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Any update on Monreal? Thought he was excellent last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Better teams than Villa will score with that type of tactic

They might but it hasn't happened yet this season.

In fact we haven't lost a single lead to anyone by parking the bus this year. Wilshire talked about this today, that everyone gets back and when Kos or Mert win the initial header, they all focus on the second ball.

So far it's working perfectly and while that won't always be the case, we're throwing away far fewer leads than we did in the past.

Clearly there's an optimal solution that involves cloning Henry and Pires and having them do a bit of counter attacking, but with the players we have I can't fault the current approach.

Are others not delighted at how strong Arsenal are now, that they trust themselves to do this, that they're not bottlers, that Verm isn't going on a crazy dribble up the middle of the pitch when we're a goal up in injury time.

I love this team and their toughness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Still lots of Draxler talk on twitter. Hopefully there is something to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Any update on Monreal? Thought he was excellent last night.

Last I heard it was a broken metatarsal, 6-8 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

shano_88 wrote: »
    Still lots of Draxler talk on twitter. Hopefully there is something to it.

Were is the Draxler talk coming from? And is it for this window or in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

45 million is way too much for draxler.

He has been average this season, too much of a risk.

gosplan wrote: »
    They might but it hasn't happened yet this season.

In fact we haven't lost a single lead to anyone by parking the bus this year. Wilshire talked about this today, that everyone gets back and when Kos or Mert win the initial header, they all focus on the second ball.

So far it's working perfectly and while that won't always be the case, we're throwing away far fewer leads than we did in the past.

Clearly there's an optimal solution that involves cloning Henry and Pires and having them do a bit of counter attacking, but with the players we have I can't fault the current approach.

Are others not delighted at how strong Arsenal are now, that they trust themselves to do this, that they're not bottlers, that Verm isn't going on a crazy dribble up the middle of the pitch when we're a goal up in injury time.

I love this team and their toughness.
    We did throw away the lead to Everton but was so quick after we scored can't be sure if we had parked the bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Were is the Draxler talk coming from? And is it for this window or in the summer?

Just rumours on twitter from what I can see but some reliable people are talking about It. I really cant see It happening this month anyway.
    45 million is way too much for draxler.

He has been average this season, too much of a risk.

Seems like alot alright but I only saw him play once this year against Chelsea and he played well there.

Have you seen much of him?

shano_88 wrote: »
    Just rumours on twitter from what I can see but some reliable people are talking about It. I really cant see It happening this month anyway.

Seems like alot alright but I only saw him play once this year against Chelsea and he played well there.

Have you seen much of him?

2 games this season not a lot, would definitely improve our left side although that's not hard!

Reports of him this season is he has been mediocre at best, and Meyer is performing much better.

He will probably turn out to be a super player but is 45 million too much of a gamble?

Would Wenger spend that and let's say another 30 on a world class striker, can't really see it.

Great result last night. Up to the concession of the goal i felt we were safe as houses and the goal was relatively out of nothing given Villa hadn't a clear chance up to that point. Nervy last ten minutes from then on.

Mert and Koc were top notch as per usual. Interesting to hear Carragher praise Mert before the game. He is really winning more and more people over with every terrific performance. A leader and a colossus.

• Advertisement

Ozil looked a little lethargic last night but that might be the lack of match practice. Its his first game in 2014 after all IIRC??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

He will probably turn out to be a super player but is 45 million too much of a gamble?

This right here really irks me...

Does anyone remember what happened with Gotze and Hazard? because I do.
    We waited and waited, putting in low ball bids and what happened? They moved on and are now 2 of the best midfielders in the world.

Draxler is on par if not better than what Gotze was at his age. I watched him enough times to see that.

When one of the best young players in the world are available you take the chance and sign them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lol loving LeGrove polling all the Arsenal players on Twitter as to what they know about Draxler!
    "@LeGrove: Yo @SergeGnabry, I don't mean to be presumptuous, but you are German. Draxler is also German.⁰⁰What have you heard? #GoonerFamily"

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    This right here really irks me...

Does anyone remember what happened with Gotze and Hazard? because I do.
    We waited and waited, putting in low ball bids and what happened? They moved on and are now 2 of the best midfielders in the world.

Draxler is on par if not better than what Gotze was at his age. I watched him enough times to see that.

When one of the best young players in the world are available you take the chance and sign them.
    Yeah if your city and have an unlimited supply of money.

We can't afford to splash 45 million on every young player who shows signs of potential.

Imo its just a lot of money for him, only my opinion, sorry if it irks you.

I don't remember us putting in a bid for hazard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Any word on whether Ramsey will be fit again soon?

Yeah if your city and have an unlimited supply of money.

I don't remember us putting in a bid for hazard?

Money shouldn't be an issue with us... We aren't Everton. We're supposedly meant to have around £50M a season for transfers.

Also Its pretty well known we flirted with Lille over Hazard. We could have signed him the year before he went to Chelsea. Instead we fcuked about and now... Well you know the rest.

Money shouldn't be an issue with us... We aren't Everton. We're supposedly meant to have around £50M a season for transfers.

Also Its pretty well known we flirted with Lille over Hazard. We could have signed him the year before he went to Chelsea. Instead we fcuked about and now... Well you know the rest.

There was always talk of us going for him but I don't remember us ever bidding and I don't agree we could have got him, every club in europe was keeping tabs on him for years, I don't see why we were special and could have signed him.

But that's my point, if we have 50 million, we would be spending it all on a 20 year old, leaving no money for other transfers that may be needed such as sagna replacement or a men striker, which we know Wenger has been after since the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Top top quality.

Wenger does say he only signs top talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Please tell me that's pronounce huggin-dick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I was like "we already signed him" :P

250020851.jpg

I've a feeling Wenger will try and turn Draxler into a striker.

I think the Mirror have been reading my posts :pac:

Bd-cPY0IQAAQvLF.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Am I right in thinking that Draxler is more similar to say Bale or Hazard than Ozil or Gotze? I know he hasn't really scored a huge amount of goals recently but he strikes me as someone who could grow into a goal scorer.

Shouldn't really be getting the hopes up again. And sort of agree that I'd prefer not to spend a large chunk on someone that isn't already a striker, but he seems like a player that would be a shame to miss out on by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Converting him to a striker makes absolutely no sense. He has said before he doesn't want to play as a striker, his preferred position is actually as a CM but he is mainly played as a winger. Would be a good signing, not what you need though.

Am I right in thinking that Draxler is more similar to say Bale or Hazard than Ozil or Gotze? I know he hasn't really scored a huge amount of goals recently but he strikes me as someone who could grow into a goal scorer.

He'd be a mix between Bale and Gotze in my opinion. He's two great feet and has some vicious long shots. Being nearly 6'2 also is a bonus.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Converting him to a striker makes absolutely no sense. He has said before he doesn't want to play as a striker, his preferred position is actually as a CM but he is mainly played as a winger. Would be a good signing, not what you need though.

I don't think he ever said he doesn't want to play Striker... He did say that he favors CAM over LW though.

Personally I think LW is a position we are pretty weak in. Are only true LW is Podolski and even he isn't really suited there :pac:
    I agree with a lot of people that we need a Striker... But who?

Because when people say names like Berbatov,Morata or Jackson Martinez I don't really see how those are much of an upgrade.

I don't think he ever said he doesn't want to play Striker... He did say that he favors CAM over LW though.

Personally I think LW is a position we are pretty weak in. Are only true LW is Podolski and even he isn't really suited there :pac:
    I agree with a lot of people that we need a Striker... But who?

Because when people say names like Berbatov,Morata or Jackson Martinez I don't really see how those are much of an upgrade.

Wenger has said he wants someone who can play with or without Giroud.

So you're looking at faster high quality finishers in the Higuain or Suarez mould. To also be able to play up front on their own really narrows the field though.

• Advertisement

If all this is true and say Wenger's looking at someone like Draxler to convert, then surely Le Boss is going nowhere for the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Quick question to arsenal fans about this potential Draxler deal.

I was reading in another forum, that while they agree draxler is a fantastic player they really didnt want Wenger to start doing a City or chelsea and buy arseal the league/champions league places. They believe a decent striker will do and they feel they have a great shout to win the league this year without throwing crazy money to help get there.

if this deal happens that will be 80m spent on 2 player in the space of 6 months. This eclipses pretty much even the crazy spending of City and Chelsea. This is the kinda of money that 2 or 3 times the value of whiole teams like palace, sunderland and hull etc and would have to question how the league can remain competitive when the likes of arsenal, city spending so much in short a short time.

I know arsenal fans had a rough ride losing key players like rvp, nasri, fab etc and as a liverpool fan i certainly didnt begrudge arsenal the transfer of ozil as i really do respect wenger as a manager but if arsenal do throw another 40m at another player i do despair how the likes of everton, spurs and liverpool etc are supposed to break into the top 4 when teams above spending such huge amounts of money and would have to agree what i wasa reading on the other site.

Just wondering arsenals fans views?

viper006 wrote: »

I was reading in another forum, that while they agree draxler is a fantastic player they really didnt want Wenger to start doing a City or chelsea and buy arseal the league/champions league places. They believe a decent striker will do and they feel they have a great shout to win the league this year without throwing crazy money to help get there.

if this deal happens that will be 80m spent on 2 player in the space of 6 months. This eclipses pretty much even the crazy spending of City and Chelsea. This is the kinda of money that 2 or 3 times the value of whiole teams like palace, sunderland and hull etc and would have to question how the league can remain competitive when the likes of arsenal, city spending so much in short a short time.

I know arsenal fans had a rough ride losing key players like rvp, nasri, fab etc and as a liverpool fan i certainly didnt begrudge arsenal the transfer of ozil as i really do respect wenger as a manager but if arsenal do throw another 40m at another player i do despair how the likes of everton, spurs and liverpool etc are supposed to break into the top 4 when teams above spending such huge amounts of money and would have to agree what i wasa reading on the other site.

I think Liverpool spent 70 million in the window they signed Carroll Henderson etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

liverpool spent 100 million a couple of seasons ago chasing CL place, they've spent on Sakho - 18m, coutino - 8m, sturridge 12m in the last 12 -18 months alone. Spurs have spent 107m in the summer.
    I wouldn't "DESPAIR" on how the likes of poor Liverpool and poor Spurs are supposed to break into the top 4 when they've spent a lot more than arsenal in the past decade.

I think Liverpool spent 70 million in the window they signed Carroll Henderson etc?

100m odd, they bought carroll (shocking buy), Suarez (inspired buy), Adam (bad buy) and Henderson (decent enough).

They also threw 15m at Joe Allen.

The posters post is poorly researched and he seems to have a "oh poor liverpool can't spend" idea which is out of step with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

City have bought an entire team. Chelsea pretty much likewise.

Wenger is spending on a few individual world class players.

I don't see any comparison.

And I would love if Arsene spends huge on a few world class players plus bring the kids through.

It may be tough on the smaller teams but no one can criticise Arsenal re fair play on spending.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    100m odd, they bought carroll (shocking buy), Suarez (inspired buy), Adam (bad buy) and Henderson (decent enough).

The posters post is poorly researched and he seems to have a "oh poor liverpool can't spend" idea which is out of step with reality.

Your knowledge is impressive a lot of the time!

Better than I could put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It wouldn't really bother me to be honest. The big difference is that we didn't just get in a sugar daddy to pay for all these players but with careful management we also didn't drop out of the top four.

We were also careful with our money over the last few years, made sensible sponsorship deals all while we were paying off our stadium. Now that the burden of the stadium is almost off our books, we can go out and use the money from new sponsorship deals and the revenue from the gates/merchandise and use it to get the quality players that we want.

There is absolutely no reason other teams can not repeat what we did. The biggest hurdle is patience among the fans. Everyone wants success now, you only have to look at the stats about managers in the league to see that. However, with a lot of patience it could very well pay off like it seems to be doing for us now.

I still don't understand how other fans are surprised that we are now spending big and signing who we want. What did they expect to happen once we finished paying off the stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We need strikers, Alex Morgan anyone...:D

We're not in the same category as City. Wenger is signing a few World Class or potential World Class to fit into the team he has nurtured not buying the whole team.

If we sign Draxler who is on the way to becoming World Class I will be delighted even-though he is not exactly what we need.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    I still don't understand how other fans are surprised that we are now spending big and signing who we want. What did they expect to happen once we finished paying off the stadium?

just to clear up a little thing, our stadium isn't paid off (and i know you never said it was!)
    The debt is merely at a more manageable level. Off the top of my head I think we owe in the region of 240-250 million in total on all of our debts including the emirates, with interest payments of about 14m and i think we pay 6 to 7 m in capital each year.
    From what I know is the Stadium will be totally paid off by 2031.
    It's impressive considering the stadium cost 390 million quid, the largest non-state aided stadium construction i believe.
    Tottenham have a deal to get part of their stadium funded by the city of London I believe - so if you live in london you might end up paying for part of spur's new stadium! Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Dont care as we spend within our means and never bought in a suger daddy to buy us titles. no we invested and did good business to have 80m or so to spend at will.

Dont blame us, blame chelsea.psg and city. If it wasnt for those suger daddy clubs, players like ozil while still world class would not cost more than 30m tops. When even the likes of RM spend 80m on ronaldo and bale, other clubs will raise there price for other world class players. simple as that.

The likes of chelsea and co have ****ed up the world of football, not arsenal. Before them, teams like liverpool and everton could spend little amount and get decent players onboard but not anymore due to Chelsea and co ruining football.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

How are we like city or Chelsea we spent our own money that we generated

As for pool old Liverpool and spurs sure they haven't spent anything these last few years hahaha

Worst post of the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Tottenham have a deal to get part of their stadium funded by the city of London I believe - so if you live in london you might end up paying for part of spur's new stadium! Ouch!

Thank god im a self employed. They aint getting none of my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

gosplan wrote: »
    If all this is true and say Wenger's looking at someone like Draxler to convert, then surely Le Boss is going nowhere for the next few years.

He's not going anywhere. I think it was The Bergkamp Wonderland podcast where on of them said he'll be signing a 3 year contract. I heard that on some podcast the last day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539524/Arsene-Wenger-new-RVP-Arsenal-make-37m-Julian-Draxler-Schalke.html

Looks like we won't be getting him this window, he has a tendon injury which needs treatment, could be out until March.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539524/Arsene-Wenger-new-RVP-Arsenal-make-37m-Julian-Draxler-Schalke.html

Looks like we won't be getting him this window, he has a tendon injury which needs treatment, could be out until March.

As usual bollix from the Daily Mail, he is expected back mid Feb according to local reports. I'll try and dig up the details.
    gunnerblog ‏@gunnerblog 44m

This seems more accurate. “@behnisch: Draxler got injured in mid-December. Schalke expect him back in mid-February.”

Heres the tweet I saw earlier.

gandalf wrote: »
    As usual bollix from the Daily Mail, he is expected back mid Feb according to local reports. I'll try and dig up the details.

Heres the tweet I saw earlier.

Still a lengthy enough spell seems we could do with some bodies now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Sorry now but i was simply asking for yee guys opinions on this issue that was bought up on another webiste..This vindictive angle on your post about this "oh poor liverpool" thing is completely unnecessary. There are well thought posts outside yours that i completely agree with but this is way off.

Your picking out transfers that have nothing to do with my question. By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory. Throw in arteta 10m, carzola 20m, giround 10m , 10m for Per Mert and arsenal are hardly short on spending as is it. Throwing 80m on 2 players is incredible spending not really rivaled in the premiership on just 2 players in 6 months and is beyond any doubt bad for the league when one team is spending such huge money.

Liverpool bought suarez, sturridge and coutinho for the price of ozil. Granted i see your point that liverpool spend big on henderson, downing, carroll (the worst transfer ever) but sale were all funded alonso, torres and masch same way spurs funded their transfers from bale. Arsenal of course sold toure,nasri, rvp and gael for the bones of 100m but the difference is the likes of liverpool and spurs havent built and brand new stadium and still spending 80m potentially on 2 players.

This is a topic ive seen brought up in afew places now and it would be sad to see arsenal going down the road of city and chelsea which looks increasingly likely given the pressure on wenger to pick up a trophy after a considerable drought for such a brillant manager.

• Advertisement

Still a lengthy enough spell seems we could do with some bodies now.

It's not ideal but to get your hands on a probable world class player I think its worth the risk. It will also give a confidence boost to the team like the Ozil signing did at the start of the season.

Also bear in mind our most difficult games are in March so he could be coming online fresh just when we need him the most.

I sincerely hope this happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement