Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

he was ok playing depper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

we signed podolski. mertz, girud and cazola whilst RVP was still an arsenal player.

We did actually show ambition but he ****ed off.

Well up until a few days ago, everyone considered those signings a lack of ambition.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Whether it’s ego or what, I don’t know, but I don’t think Cesc has it in himself to play a deep midfield role at this moment in time. I think he’s got too much to offer offensively, and he knows it. I’d also be wary of it when you consider Wenger moved him forward, and both Del Bosque and Guardiola were happy to play him as far forward as possible… and you’d have to think those guys him pretty damn well.

Anyway, I think that's where Jack's immediate future rests.

Not that it matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Well up until a few days ago, everyone considered those signings a lack of ambition.

Err I certainly didn't, especially Santi. Giroud was the biggest unknown quantity of them all and once I saw him in action I knew we had a gem on our hands. I was also delighted that we signed Arteta the previous year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Anyone see narsi's quotes

The week that keeps giving :)

Nope what did he say?

Jesus, I just realised we signed Özil!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gandalf wrote: »
    Nope what did he say?

All I can find is him apologising about his conduct after euro 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As reporting on the "Ozil storm" - fans and players expressing their confusion and disapproval over his sale

BTTZ2i-IcAAndgM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336543/robin-van-persie-and-david-moyes-hit-skids

Week keeps getting better :) Enjoy Cleverly, Carrick and Anderson, Giroud will enjoy Ozil, Wilshere and Cazorla :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

This has been happening a lot on this thread recently where someone says "did you see what x said?" and haven't included a link. C'mon I'm dying here. Teases the lot of ye :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Raf32 wrote: »
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/336543/robin-van-persie-and-david-moyes-hit-skids

Week keeps getting better :) Enjoy Cleverly, Carrick and Anderson, Giroud will enjoy Ozil, Wilshere and Cazorla :D

Sounds like that coming from RvPs agent, the little ****bag can rot there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Cristiano Ronaldo - 'The sale of Ozil is very bad news for me,' he said.
    'He was the player who best knew my moves in front of goal... I'm angry about Özil leaving.'

Ah sure come join him :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

"I had my worst season since I've been a professional. I was proud but inside, I was bleeding" Nasri

Was tweeted by a blogger, in work don't have time to find link

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ah sure come join him :p

it would be sweet sweet, just for the hurt it would cause United fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Please let us not disappoint ozil, lets match his ambition!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Really brings home what a coup this was when you look at the way the RM fans and the likes of Khedira and Ronaldo have reacted.

Please let us not disappoint ozil, lets match his ambition!

it's essential that we add a top class striker to the bunch now.

a cheeky 45m for Suarez in Jan?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    it's essential that we add a top class striker to the bunch now.

a cheeky 45m for Suarez in Jan?

60 million if it takes that and wont be cup tied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Madrid have shown once again that they are the biggest clowns in world football.

They make Newcastle look like a well run club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Whether it’s ego or what, I don’t know, but I don’t think Cesc has it in himself to play a deep midfield role at this moment in time. I think he’s got too much to offer offensively, and he knows it. I’d also be wary of it when you consider Wenger moved him forward, and both Del Bosque and Guardiola were happy to play him as far forward as possible… and you’d have to think those guys him pretty damn well.

Anyway, I think that's where Jack's immediate future rests.

I also think its his best position. He was brilliant in his breakthrough year playing beside Song behind Cesc:

--Wilshere
    Song
    Fabregas

This season, or at least for the next 2 months I think we'll see:

-Wilshere----Ramsey
    Ozil

I think the Wilshere and Ramsey combination can actually work, as its an issue of understanding and positioning, rather than mentality with say Song. They both have good work rates and are willing to put in a tackle, so its more a case of honing their skills or positioning and understanding when to go forward and when to hold. How long that will take remains to be seen but I do believe they have the skillset between them to make that work. I also think its Wilshere's best position by far atm. His dribbling is more effective from deep and he tends to play the 'pre-assist' pass rather than the assist pass, so imo he is more suited to CM than CAM atm. He also can't shoot for balls which never helps when hes at the edge of the box.

Wilshere
    Ramsey
    ---Walcott
    Ozil
    Cazorla
    Giroud

Looks pretty tasty to me.

AdamD wrote: »
    I also think its his best position. He was brilliant in his breakthrough year playing beside Song behind Cesc:

--Wilshere
    Song
    Fabregas

This season, or at least for the next 2 months I think we'll see:

-Wilshere----Ramsey
    Ozil

I think the Wilshere and Ramsey combination can actually work, as its an issue of understanding and positioning, rather than mentality with say Song. They both have good work rates and are willing to put in a tackle, so its more a case of honing their skills or positioning and understanding when to go forward and when to hold. How long that will take remains to be seen but I do believe they have the skillset between them to make that work. I also think its Wilshere's best position by far atm. His dribbling is more effective from deep and he tends to play the 'pre-assist' pass rather than the assist pass, so imo he is more suited to CM than CAM atm. He also can't shoot for balls which never helps when hes at the edge of the box.

Wilshere
    Ramsey
    ---Walcott
    Ozil
    Cazorla
    Giroud

Looks pretty tasty to me.

With options in Poldi, Mozart, OX, Arteta and the Flamster.

I wonder how long my excitement can last because at the moment there is no end in sight

Got to be Arteta and Ramsey for me in the double pivot. They work best together and Arteta is our most important player, only one that can play that position the way we need. On top of jack not being fully fit and alternating him to regain full fitness and confidence, its a no brainer for me personally. Nice to have these selection problems though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If Liverpool continue there good start no bid from an EPL side will tempt either party IMO.

Yeah I think Wilshire won't be a nailed on starter at the moment. I think it's no harm really, he's a good option off the bench and he also looks pretty brittle at the moment. I think it could help his development in the long run and take a bit of pressure off him both mentally and physically.

Sure feck it from reading some of the press Ronaldo looks fairly pissed at Ozil going maybe a cheeky bid in Jan ;)

Could you imagine the meltdown in the united thread if that happened Lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Liverpool continue there good start no bid from an EPL side will tempt either party IMO.

They won't though. They'll fall apart soon.

GavRedKing wrote: »

If Suarez comes back into the team and start scoring again, which he most likely will, all will be forgiven and there's not a hope they'd sell him to us in january, especially if we're flying high still by then. Doubt the'd sell him to us even if he's rotting on the bench tbh.

To be fair to Liverpool they look quite solid at the moment and if Suarez get's his head together it could give them a huge boost. Add to that the signings of Sakho and Llori. Genuinely think they're a much bigger threat to us this year than Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The boss has some selection headache in midfield especially when Arteta is back fit. My own opinion is I would start Arteta in the DMF role, he is such a calming influence in that position and has great leadership qualities so he would just get my vote ahead of Ramsey (who I am delighted to see in such good form after me writing the lad off unfairly last season) and Flamini. I would then go with Wilshere and Ozil with Santi out on the left with Walcott on the right. Which would leave us with a back up midfield of;

........................Flamini
    ...........Ramsey...........Rosicky
    Ox...............................................Podolski

:eek::eek:

I think Wilshere has been trying to do too much too soon. He’s not where he was pre-injury yet and risks that would have come off for him before aren’t coming off at the moment. Combine that with him shouldering an increased creative burden in a Cesc-less midfield, and it’s a recipe for problems. Ideally we’d have Arteta available and we’d be able to ease him back into form more gradually, but at least with Ozil operating ahead of the #10 role, he’ll feel less of a need to make things happen and can focus on keeping it simpler.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Sure feck it from reading some of the press Ronaldo looks fairly pissed at Ozil going maybe a cheeky bid in Jan ;)

Could you imagine the meltdown in the united thread if that happened Lol :)

More likely get a bid in for Ramos ;). Him and Ozil are best friends and it was sad reading his tweets saying he'll miss him :(

"Everyone is free to choose the best for themselves, but if I were to decide what was happening at Madrid he would be one of the last who would be going." - Quote from Ramos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ramsey's in better form than Wilshere and works exceptionally well with Arteta. With the majority fit it has to be Arteta in the deep role with Ramsey slightly ahead and Ozil in the CAM slot.

What worries me about the next few months is that we have nothing to cover the flanks should god forbid anything happen to Walcott. You can't underestimate what he gives us in terms of width and his general presence makes other defences uneasy. I'm concerned we'd get too narrow a lá 2008-2010 version of Arsenal with Nasri and Arshavin on the flanks and all teams would have to do to negate us is sit inside the 18 yard line.

Much as it pains me to say it; Suarez would have been ideal for us in that he can cover the flanks too. If we'd signed him and Sakho we'd have been there or thereabouts for the league this year imo.

I hope we go back in for him in January.

They won't though. They'll fall apart soon.

Definitely don't believe they will buckle especially with the players they have brought in. I believe that the wheels could come off for united this year. If there is any truth in the Stars story about RvP then two of their main strikers are unhappy with the manager and or club. That could be extremely toxic to Manu's morale, couple this with their lack of creativity from midfield and it could turn out to be a long and painful season for them.

liverpool arent anything special at all, they are a bigger threat than spurs though.

• Advertisement

Delighted as I am with Ozil, I think we're in a battle for 4th again and I think it will be even tighter than last year. The only hope to relieve the pressure is if one of the teams above us falter. Something I see as unlikely but possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

cson wrote: »
    Ramsey's in better form than Wilshere and works exceptionally well with Arteta. With the majority fit it has to be Arteta in the deep role with Ramsey slightly ahead and Ozil in the CAM slot.

What worries me about the next few months is that we have nothing to cover the flanks should god forbid anything happen to Walcott. You can't underestimate what he gives us in terms of width and his general presence makes other defences uneasy. I'm concerned we'd get too narrow a lá 2008-2010 version of Arsenal with Nasri and Arshavin on the flanks and all teams would have to do to negate us is sit inside the 18 yard line.

Much as it pains me to say it; Suarez would have been ideal for us in that he can cover the flanks too. If we'd signed him and Sakho we'd have been there or thereabouts for the league this year imo.

I hope we go back in for him in January.
    I feel that Arteta and Ramsey are a bit too similar so that's why I would give Wilshere the nod ahead of Ramsey, the way Jack ghosts past players is nothing short of exceptional, reminds me a bit of Hleb in the way he drops his shoulder and can change direction in an instant leaving the player in his wake. Its why I like when he drops deep as he can start a counter attacking move in an instant.

Following on from the above; we're placing a lot of trust in Gnabry and Miyaichi to cover the flanks so fingers crossed one of them turns good and has a Raheem Sterling type breakthrough.

Raf32 wrote: »
    liverpool arent anything special at all, they are a bigger threat than spurs though.

I think they've had a better window than spurs, Spurs lost their one game changing player. Liverpool have kept theirs and added quality with Sakho, PL experience with mingolet Moses and Toure,
    Potential with Ilori and squad depth with aspas and the other lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Definitely don't believe they will buckle especially with the players they have brought in. I believe that the wheels could come off for united this year. If there is any truth in the Stars story about RvP then two of their main strikers are unhappy with the manager and or club. That could be extremely toxic to Manu's morale, couple this with their lack of creativity from midfield and it could turn out to be a long and painful season for them.

I think Liverpools problem is Rodgers. I genuinely think he's a chancer. Swansea went well but that was a lot due to Martinez IMO. He did no better than the awful Dalglish regime.
    I think they'll slip down soon. Can't see them being in the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I think they've had a better window than spurs, Spurs lost their one game changing player. Liverpool have kept theirs and added quality with Sakho, PL experience with mingolet Moses and Toure,
    Potential with Ilori and squad depth with aspas and the other lad.

Madness.

Spurs added genuine quality to their squad. They will finish well ahead of Liverpool. Liverpool have had a good start to the season and have some nice fixtures coming up but they have poor depth in their squad really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I think Liverpools problem is Rodgers. I genuinely think he's a chancer. Swansea went well but that was a lot due to Martinez IMO. He did no better than the awful Dalglish regime.
    I think they'll slip down soon. Can't see them being in the top 4.

I'd have to disagree. Rodgers, in my opinion, is doing miles better than any other 'Pool manager in recent years.

cson wrote: »
    Following on from the above; we're placing a lot of trust in Gnabry and Miyaichi to cover the flanks so fingers crossed one of them turns good and has a Raheem Sterling type breakthrough.

Ryo was great at Bolton just a shame injury messed up his spell at Wigan.

Still at least he has experience of playing in the PL, I hope he will be a handy squad player at least. He looked decent in his cameo against Fenerbache. Would like to see both him and Gnabry starting against West Brom in the Capitol One.

Liverpool will be a lot closer this year too I feel. That being said; how well they do depends an awful lot on Coutinho finding a good vein of form and Gerrard staying fit.

United are an interesting one; I'll be intrigued by how Moyes plays Fellaini. If they play Fellaini beside Carrick with Kagawa in the CAM role then they've a midfield that's as good as any out there. Can't for the life of me understand what's going on with Kagawa there, the lack of game time for him is criminal. Ferdinand is finished at the highest level too and will cost them points this season.
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    I feel that Arteta and Ramsey are a bit too similar so that's why I would give Wilshere the nod ahead of Ramsey, the way Jack ghosts past players is nothing short of exceptional, reminds me a bit of Hleb in the way he drops his shoulder and can change direction in an instant leaving the player in his wake. Its why I like when he drops deep as he can start a counter attacking move in an instant.

The defensive solidity we get having Ramsey and Arteta together is why I'd pair them in a fully fit first XI. Maybe against weaker teams Wilshere would be the better choice.

How long is the OX out for?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Just had a thought...I wonder if RVP looks over now at Arsenals creative players added since his departure (Cazorla, Ozil etc) and cant help but think what it would be like playing in front of that quality.

*cough Cleverly**cough

slingerz wrote: »
    Madness.

Spurs added genuine quality to their squad. They will finish well ahead of Liverpool. Liverpool have had a good start to the season and have some nice fixtures coming up but they have poor depth in their squad really

Liverpool have no EL to contend with so depth wise they'll be fine.

Spurs have an abundance of attacking midfielders but no genuine pace if AVB freezes out Lennon and Defoe. They'll be difficult to break down with Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele in front of a good pairing in Vertonghen and Dawson but I can see them struggling up the other end of the pitch based on their recent games. AVB has no Hulk or Rodriguez to supply his Falcao (Soldado) this time around. Their full backs are the weakest of any of the teams around them too.

Edit: I digress; forgot they signed Lamela. They'll be there or thereabouts so. :pac:

3 months :( Squad will look much deeper when himself and Podolski are back though. Hopefull there'll be no big injury issues between now and christmas.

Decent spiel on arselbog news about how Ozil could fit in and what options he gives us: http://news.arseblog.com/2013/09/outstanding-ozil-offers-options/

Just thought I would compare us to Liverpool, open to corrections!
    Mignolet > Szczesny
    Sagna > Johnson
    Kos > Toure
    Agger > Per
    Gibbs > Enrique
    Arteta > Lucas
    Gerrard > Wilshere
    Ozil > Coutinho
    Cazorla > Sturridge
    Walcott > Moses
    Suarez > Giroud

4 for them, 7 for us.

Second teams
    Vivano > Jones
    Jenkinson > Kelly
    TV5 > Skrtel
    Sakho > ?
    Monreal > Cissohko
    Flamini > ?
    Ramsey > Henderson
    Rosicky > Allen
    Ox > Sterling
    Podolski > Alberto
    Aspas > Nicky B

9 for us, and two for them.
    We have a stronger first 11, and a much stronger squad especially in midfield and up top. Open to any corrections.

late October I think ?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement