Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Its not going down the same road as City or Chelsea at all. We are self sustaining. We're spending money earned through diligence and excellent business management.

This isn't funded by a sugar daddy. Not the same thing at all, not by a long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

viper006 wrote: »
    Sorry now but i was simply asking for yee guys opinions on this issue that was bought up on another webiste..This vindictive angle on your post about this "oh poor liverpool" thing is completely unnecessary. There are well thought posts outside yours that i completely agree with but this is way off.

Your picking out transfers that have nothing to do with my question. By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory. Throw in arteta 10m, carzola 20m, giround 10m , 10m for Per Mert and arsenal are hardly short on spending as is it. Throwing 80m on 2 players is incredible spending not really rivaled in the premiership on just 2 players in 6 months and is beyond any doubt bad for the league when one team is spending such huge money.

Liverpool bought suarez, sturridge and coutinho for the price of ozil. Granted i see your point that liverpool spend big on henderson, downing, carroll (the worst transfer ever) but sale were all funded alonso, torres and masch same way spurs funded their transfers from bale. Arsenal of course sold toure,nasri, rvp and gael for the bones of 100m but the difference is the likes of liverpool and spurs havent built and brand new stadium and still spending 80m potentially on 2 players.

This is a topic ive seen brought up in afew places now and it would be sad to see arsenal going down the road of city and chelsea which looks increasingly likely given the pressure on wenger to pick up a trophy after a considerable drought for such a brillant manager.

I think you're not realising there is a huge difference between city and arsenal in terms of how they acquired the money to buy these players.

Just look at wengers net spend through the years, keeping arsenal in the cl and funding a stadium through all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

I think you're not realising there is a huge difference between city and arsenal in terms of how they acquired the money to buy these players.

Just look at wengers net spend through the years, keeping arsenal in the cl and funding a stadium through all that.

I completely agree with you. Ive always admired the way wenger kept arsenal in contention vs the sudden success of city and chelsea. I Genuinely hope yee do beat city and chelsea to the league and liverpool finish top 4. I dont believe arsenal need to spend another 40m though to do it thought Bendtner certainly isnt the answer granted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory.

carroll (the worst transfer ever) .

These two things in the same post.
    Do you even read what you write???

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This is a topic ive seen brought up in afew places now and it would be sad to see arsenal going down the road of city and chelsea which looks increasingly likely given the pressure on wenger to pick up a trophy after a considerable drought for such a brillant manager.
    When Chelsea and City start restricting themselves to spending what they earn, then we can make comparisons...

Arsenal have been patiently building the club, brick by brick, for a long time. Making smart decisions, living within their means, resisting the short-term gain in favour of the more beneficial long term. The whole purpose of it is to allow the club to one day be able to compete financially at the top level, and much has been sacrificed to allow that to happen.

Arsenal 'going down the road of city and chelsea' would be to start spending 100+ million on players, because relative to their size, that's effectively what City & Chelsea have been doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Sorry now but i was simply asking for yee guys opinions on this issue that was bought up on another webiste..This vindictive angle on your post about this "oh poor liverpool" thing is completely unnecessary. There are well thought posts outside yours that i completely agree with but this is way off.

Your picking out transfers that have nothing to do with my question. By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory. Throw in arteta 10m, carzola 20m, giround 10m , 10m for Per Mert and arsenal are hardly short on spending as is it. Throwing 80m on 2 players is incredible spending not really rivaled in the premiership on just 2 players in 6 months and is beyond any doubt bad for the league when one team is spending such huge money.

Liverpool bought suarez, sturridge and coutinho for the price of ozil. Granted i see your point that liverpool spend big on henderson, downing, carroll (the worst transfer ever) but sale were all funded alonso, torres and masch same way spurs funded their transfers from bale. Arsenal of course sold toure,nasri, rvp and gael for the bones of 100m but the difference is the likes of liverpool and spurs havent built and brand new stadium and still spending 80m potentially on 2 players.

are you on a wind up?

Arsenal have earned every penny, managed our money well, thanks largely to the foresight of Danny Fizsman and then Wenger who kept us at the top table throughout our repositioning. You're complaining :"the likes of liverpool and spurs havent built and brand new stadium" WE BOUGHT and paid for that ourselves.
    Liverpool ****ed up themselves by selling out to Gillette and Hicks. It's not arsenals problem.
    " Throwing 80m on 2 players is incredible spending not really rivaled in the premiership on just 2 players in 6 months and is beyond any doubt bad for the league when one team is spending such huge money"
    We've saved up, we're entitled to break the bank.
    I also like how you've added 2m to the price of our recent buys, we've sold far more than we've bought too.

finally: it would be sad to see arsenal going down the road of city and chelsea

yes I agree, it would be sad if some dodgy as **** sugar daddy took over the club and put 700m in to make us from a nothing club to a nouveau riche plaything.

But you're crying about arsenal spending our hard earned - hard won - hard made through good planning and having to sell our best.

By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory. Throw in arteta 10m, carzola 20m, giround 10m , 10m for Per Mert
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

I don't get this, Draxler's an attacking midfielder, 14 goals in 89 appearances. He's a good player but even with Walcott injured we're coming down with attacking midfielders. Why bring in someone who'll compete with ozil, cazorla, gnarby, podolski, ramsey, wiltshere, walcott, rosicky, miyachi, am I forgetting anyone? We need an out and out striker and with £35m+ there should be options

I don't think we're signing Draxler FWIW.

I don't think we're signing Draxler FWIW.

same. maybe in the summer. I'll be surprised if he buys this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Your picking out transfers that have nothing to do with my question. By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory.

10 million?? I don't think so. More like 3 million. Still a terrible signing but where did you get 10 million out of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jeez lad....what you on about, in your previous post you complained Arsenal signing two players for 80M is not good; now in the above post you say Liverpool and Tottenham spending 80M without building a stadium...what's your point

PS:ARSENAL ARE SPENDING THEIR OWN HARD EARNED MONEY BY BEING FRUGAL OVER THE YEARS. SO WHAT YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Think you need to get your facts right. Park was 3.5m. Cazorla was 12m rising to somewhere around 15m (bargain or what?). Don't know why you'd bother mentioning the other 10m deals seeing as it's not a large amount of money and they've all been superb value. Mertesacker in particular, easily the best centre half in the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Out of interest I had a quick look at net spending over the last 36 months.
    Arsenal -£31m or so
    Liverpool -£119m or so

Figures from soccerbase so not 100% sure of the accuracy. Some signings had no fee associated (Park!) so I tried to guesstimate. Massive differences though. Poor Liverpool. :P

Had a quick look at Spurs as well, I think they've turned over a profit so didn't want to compare them! :pac:

Gotta get back to work, someone feel free to post City/Chelsea!

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Out of interest I had a quick look at net spending over the last 36 months.
    Arsenal -£31m or so
    Liverpool -£119m or so

Evil arsenal. so we could buy 2 draxlers and still have a comparable spend to the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Arsene no longer shops in Poundstretcher on a bargain hunt but has taken his shopping basket to Harrods. Other fans are gonna get jealous

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Think you need to get your facts right. Park was 3.5m. Cazorla was 12m rising to somewhere around 15m (bargain or what?). Don't know why you'd bother mentioning the other 10m deals seeing as it's not a large amount of money and they've all been superb value. Mertesacker in particular, easily the best centre half in the league this season.

Cazorla was also our record signing at the time. Didnt the Ozil transfer almost double out transfer spending over the last 8 years or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

From what I get, we're ruining football by spending 42m on Ozil instead of 35m on Andy Carroll.

We've been doing it wrong lads!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd much prefer to spend the money on an injured Draxler than another squad player.

Draxler is young, is very good already, has plenty of potential, and most importantly for the January window, has a release clause that means we could actually get him.

Even if he is out injured, I'd prefer to get him in now, start bedding him in to the Arsenal way, rather than get in a temporary player who knows that he'll probably be gone again this summer.

As for it being unfair that Arsenal are able to spend that kind of money, well, that's just the way the world works. If you've got it, spend it. If you don't, save up.

I do understand that it is difficult, and to be honest, at times over the last few years, it has been frustrating being an Arsenal fan, knowing that our club couldn't get the big players, or even the up and coming players because we simply couldn't afford the fees. However, with a board and a manager that have had long term plans and stuck to them, it is possible to get through tough patches and afford the big players again, without a sugar daddy.

To be honest, the biggest threat to the premier league is the vast amount of short-termism on display. Stuff like "Run of bad games? Sack the manager" is despicable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

viper006 said

Your picking out transfers that have nothing to do with my question. By the way adam for 8m was bargain compared to the 10m spent Park Chu-Young who potentially the worst transfer in recent league memory. Throw in arteta 10m, carzola 20m, giround 10m , 10m for Per Mert and arsenal are hardly short on spending as is it.

Just as a matter of interest, where did you get these figures from? They are miles out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

keano_afc wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, where did you get these figures from? They are miles out

from his a***

the figures are randomly increased for Arsenal spend and decreased on liverpool.

Any Liverpool fan who can describe Adam at £8m being a bargain loses my respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We should sign Draxler just so I can use this gif more often:
    Julian+Draxler.+Testmatch+Schalke+04+Germany+against+Al+Sadd+Quatar_7641d9_4707342.gif

Though summer looks more likely. Raphael Honigstein was tweeting last night saying that it looks like Schalke wants to sell, but he doubts Wenger is interested in that price and that our interest in him was pre-Ozil.

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 16h
    I'm just not sure AW will go for him again, at this slightly crazy prize. he pushed hard, once, for a lot less money - before Özil.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    the story that Draxler was ready to go to Arsenal in the summer emanated in Germany. now Schalke are saying they might have to sell...
    Whenever a club/player talks too much about selling/leaving, I'm very suspicious
    Expand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wait a minute everyone.

This guy's right.

Lets not spend the money we spent years and sacrificed so much competitiveness to earn.

Get real buddy. We have a great squad and when we add players, they're going to be quality.

Thinly veiled attempts to get a rise by comparing us to city or Chelsea will be seen as just that.

It's more like Utd when they were adding players like Rooney and Ferdinand every do often.

AdamD wrote: »
    We should sign Draxler just so I can use this gif more often:
    Julian+Draxler.+Testmatch+Schalke+04+Germany+against+Al+Sadd+Quatar_7641d9_4707342.gif

Though summer looks more likely. Raphael Honigstein was tweeting last night saying that it looks like Schalke wants to sell, but he doubts Wenger is interested in that price and that our interest in him was pre-Ozil.

I'm just not sure AW will go for him again, at this slightly crazy prize. he pushed hard, once, for a lot less money - before Özil.
    the story that Draxler was ready to go to Arsenal in the summer emanated in Germany. now Schalke are saying they might have to sell...
    Whenever a club/player talks too much about selling/leaving, I'm very suspicious
    Expand

Maybe Wenger thinks it's too much money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I'd also be curious on Viper's opinion on how much Suarez is worth now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'd have the BFG every single time over Liverpools center half's. If Per had been £20m it would still have been great money for him.

2e2dxdv.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'd have the BFG every single time over Liverpools center half's. If Per had been £20m it would still have been great money for him.

2e2dxdv.gif

Ever time that gif is posted I watc it over and over again

Is it real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

To be honest lads we are worse rising to him!

Did I ever think I'd see the day that Arsenal FC would be accussed of ruining the Premier League with money!!:D:D

Soups123 wrote: »
    Is it real?

yep per's quite the mover!

Arsenal legend in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Haha Arsenal going down the road of City and Chelsea? :pac:

LOL.

The fact that we can spend £40m on players nowadays is a victory for running a football club properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Quick question to arsenal fans about this potential Draxler deal.?

(1) It is only a potential deal
    (2) It is more likely to happen in the summer
    (3) We may go back for Suarez instead in the summer

I was reading in another forum, that while they agree draxler is a fantastic player they really didnt want Wenger to start doing a City or chelsea and buy arseal the league/champions league places.?

What other forum? Was it a general football forum or an Arsenal supporters forum? If it was a general football forum, how do you know it was Arsenal supporters not wanting Wenger to start doing a City or Chelsea? If it was an Arsenal forum, I would be interested in which one as I haven't seen any Arsenal forum or blog come out against Wenger spending money this transfer window on the right player. A link to back you up perhaps?
    They believe a decent striker will do and they feel they have a great shout to win the league this year without throwing crazy money to help get there.?

Crazy money? What do you mean by this?

if this deal happens that will be 80m spent on 2 player in the space of 6 months. This eclipses pretty much even the crazy spending of City and Chelsea. ?

80m on 2 players in six months?

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/liverpool-transfers.html

80m over two transfer windows in Season 10/11 including 35m on Andy Carroll and 11.5m on Raul Meireles as well as 4.5m on Christian Poulson (Who?).

I suppose that was an execeptional season as Liverpool have only spent 50m a season since buying exceptional talent such as Sakho for 18m who cost more than Mertesacker and Koscielny combined.
    This is the kinda of money that 2 or 3 times the value of whiole teams like palace, sunderland and hull etc and would have to question how the league can remain competitive when the likes of arsenal, city spending so much in short a short time.?

Those who have spent money in a short period of time over the last five or six seasons include Liverpool, Newcastle, Spurs, City, Chelsea, Aston Villa and Man Utd. Arsenal have the lowest net spend over the period. The argument doesn't hold up well.

I know arsenal fans had a rough ride losing key players like rvp, nasri, fab etc and as a liverpool fan i certainly didnt begrudge arsenal the transfer of ozil as i really do respect wenger as a manager but if arsenal do throw another 40m at another player i do despair how the likes of everton, spurs and liverpool etc are supposed to break into the top 4 when teams above spending such huge amounts of money and would have to agree what i wasa reading on the other site.?

I really don't know how Liverpool and Spurs are going to break into the top 4.

Spurs spent 100m in the summer and look awful. As I pointed out above, Liverpool have regularly spent 50m a season and look nowhere near ready to challenge. They will be in a worse state if they fail to qualify for the CL this year and Madrid and Arsenal come calling for Suarez.

Going back to Spurs, at the moment Liverpool fans must be hoping that Soldado continues on his current form as he is on course to take the worst big money striker signing tag away from Andy Carroll.

Just wondering arsenals fans views?

We think Arsenal are doing just fine and are delighted to see Liverpool fans beginning to panic a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

According to twitter, Thierry is going to be on the Graham Norton show on Friday 24th.

Anyone know anything about monreals injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

http://www.arsenalreport.com/injuryroom/

Says 3 months here?? I didn't know it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Its pretty funny seeing fans of certain other clubs deriding the FA Cup now and willing to sacrifice it in order to get a couple of points more in race for champions league race.

No doubt, a lot of them were slating us for winning our "4th place trophy" and not winning a cup since 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That Vesey guy from goal had said that Rosicky has broken his nose but Arsenal are hopeful that Monreal had only severe bruising on his foot. Ramsey is to return to the 1st team squad for Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

geoffarsenal reckons to forget about draxler until the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BeDWazLIUAA_Enl.jpg

:D

Surprised were not been linked to any defenders, we have been lucky with injuries etc so far but for how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

batistuta9 wrote: »
    geoffarsenal reckons to forget about draxler until the summer

Not really suprised by that it's what most have been saying for a long time, can't see us doing any major signings this window.
    Surprised were not been linked to any defenders, we have been lucky with injuries etc so far but for how long.

I don't know im fairly happy we may be a bit light at CB but anytime Sagna has had to cover there he has done well as has Verm when called upon this season. Not saying another one wouldn't be welcome just don't think it's an urgent issue.

Much prefer CF short term back up as I can't see anything more than that happening imo.

• Advertisement

Not really suprised by that it's what most have been saying for a long time, can't see us doing any major signings this window.

I don't know im fairly happy we may be a bit light at CB but anytime Sagna has had to cover there he has done well as has Verm when called upon this season. Not saying another one wouldn't be welcome just don't think it's an urgent issue.

Much prefer CF short term back up as I can't see anything more than that happening imo.
    Suppose just thinking Verm and Monreal are injured, another one or two and we could be in trouble.

Arsenal injury watch says monreal out for 3 months but I can't find anything to confirm this. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I see Morata played the last 20 minutes for Real tonight. Wonder if he's still an option on loan for us. Similar size and build as Giroud. Looks to have a lot of potential but lacks experience for a title challenge. I think a striker is essential for us. People talk about possible injuries to our defence but if Giroud gets injured we are in big trouble. Wenger needs to sort it.

there's been a lot of talk about it the last few days though

rafa honigstein before saying that he's unsure if wenger would go in for him again said schalke are begging for an offer

Jan Aage Fjortoft - who's supposed to be reliable - mentioning arsenal would be favourites ahead of bayern but didn't say it was going to happen in jan or even at all - up to wenger if he wants him he's basically saying

if they could get him now, what'd be the point in waiting?

in other non happening transfer news, arsenal bid 49mil after saurez said he wanted out - from geoffarsenal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

We've been linked with Nottingham Forests Jamaal Lascelles, in the mirror here.

Arseblog has a write up on it here, which seems to make some sense.

Lamella,
    Chadli,
    Holtby
    and
    Capoue

all want out of spurs!

So that just leaves:
    Paulinho and Vlad Chirches who are happy with their move to Spurs.
    And Soldado.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I've just been showed a video hilights of the next Irish star playing for arsenal in the youth fa cup all I can say is WOW.

Daniel Crowley 2 goals and 4 assists from midfield v Peterborough ye won 6-1. This guy is a special talent.

He might still play for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I've just been showed a video hilights of the next Irish star playing for arsenal in the youth fa cup all I can say is WOW.

Daniel Crowley 2 goals and 4 assists from midfield v Peterborough ye won 6-1. This guy is a special talent.

Seems like he's going to declare for England alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

He might still play for England.

Oh he is actually English? :/ pity

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement