Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

batistuta9 wrote: »
    on them fixtures, what do the people who think it's no odds finishing second in a CL group (thus 2 harder games) think of that run?

do you still think 'no difference, you've to play them all sometime anyway' or any change

I'd rather the hard game now rather than during the run in. You don't get much tougher than Bayern. Worst case scenario is we go out and have less games to worry about during the business end. That's not a half bad scenario in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Still think the exact same way.

on the PL fixtures too?
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'd rather the hard game now rather than during the run in. You don't get much tougher than Bayern. Worst case scenario is we go out and have less games to worry about during the business end. That's not a half bad scenario in my mind.

i didn't mean the actual CL game(s) vs bayern, i meant the way some people think towards that - "doesn't matter when you play them, you've to play them anyway"
    and see if they/you think the same way about the league fixtures in march/april

i don't see how playing them 4 fixtures in a row (and possibly swansea too during one of the midweeks between if either reach the FA Cup QF) would help to win the league, just like i can't see how playing the harder teams in the CL from the off is any benefit either

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

on the PL fixtures too?

i didn't mean the actual CL game(s) vs bayern, i meant the way some people think towards that - "doesn't matter when you play them, you've to play them anyway"
    and see if they/you think the same way about the league fixtures in march/april

i don't see how playing them 4 fixtures in a row (and possibly swansea too during one of the midweeks between if either reach the FA Cup QF) would help to win the league, just like i can't see how playing the harder teams in the CL from the off is any benefit either

Nobody said hat about league fixtures though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nobody said hat about league fixtures though.

i never said anyone did, I'm asking what people think about that run of fixtures, specifically the people who aren't fussed about 1st or 2nd in the CL group

that last sentence in that post was just my own opinion on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Kirby wrote: »
    Is the new Star wars movie any good and how long did Moyes last as United boss? Also, how many world cups did Ireland win?

Moyes lasted until the summer when Louis Van Gaal took over. I only went ahead 5000 years still hadn't reached a semi-final :o New stars wars movie? Sure everyone lives in a death star...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got my Bayern ticket!!! Boo ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

(I had to ring CC company to increase limit! Lolz!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So Liam Brady gone from the youth academy at the end of the season, and Andries Jonker in. As an Irishman, I'm sad to see Liam go, but hopefully fresh blood will mean our academy gets a fresh start too.

Would be nice if the next couple of big Arsenal stars came up through our academy.

See here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i never said anyone did, I'm asking what people think about that run of fixtures, specifically the people who aren't fussed about 1st or 2nd in the CL group

that last sentence in that post was just my own opinion on it

Well, I still don't mind that we came second in the group but the run of league fixtures sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We've four tough games in March, but they're all a week apart except the Bayern game. So we should be up for it and all of them are in London too except the Bayern game again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Supposedly we've been in talks with Vucinic.
    But It looks like Inter Milan not have their eyes on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I know it's most likely bollox but it's dead in here, Metro are saying Kroenke is in London in order to authorise the purchase of Draxler and sort out Wenger's contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I know it's most likely bollox but it's dead in here, Metro are saying Kroenke is in London in order to authorise the purchase of Draxler and sort out Wenger's contract.

You want Bollox? Think I can top yours ;-) Saw a report this morning saying we were preparing a 60m bid for Tevez &Pogba

greendom wrote: »
    You want Bollox? Think I can top yours ;-) Saw a report this morning saying we were preparing a 60m bid for Tevez &Pogba

Ha!

At least there's decent airports in London :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If it did happen, he would most likely only arrive in Summer after the WC.

I hope that someone photoshopped that on? Otherwise he is being a muppet, absolutely no need to be at that. There's a big difference between a bit of banter with your rivals, like Walcott did, and this sort of carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Vermaelen also being linked with a few clubs.
    Hope the club don't decide to let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

dvemail wrote: »
    Vermaelen also being linked with a few clubs.
    Hope the club don't decide to let him go.

Few Twitter rumours that Villa are preparing an £8m bid for him. I really can't see how we could let him go though unless Arsene is going to buy a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Few Twitter rumours that Villa are preparing an £8m bid for him. I really can't see how we could let him go though unless Arsene is going to buy a CB.

Be sad if he ended up at Villa - he's better than that.

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    I hope that someone photoshopped that on? Otherwise he is being a muppet, absolutely no need to be at that. There's a big difference between a bit of banter with your rivals, like Walcott did, and this sort of carry on.

Ah give over. Purely banter. The lads on both sides are always at it!

Arsene has said that Santi is now back to his best. Apparently he couldn't kick with his right foot properly and this explained his poor form recently. Perhaps he should have been used a bit more sparingly until he had properly recovered.

jester77 wrote: »

not photoshopped but...
    Santi Cazorla ‏@19SCazorla 1 hr
    Our apoligizes to the Totenham fans, we couldn't see the paper. #alwaysfootballalwaysrespect @piresrobert7 and @19SCazorla

https://twitter.com/19SCazorla

Can't see him going to Villa, the rumours of interest from Napoli make more sense.

We cant sell him in January, that would be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Can't see him going to Villa, the rumours of interest from Napoli make more sense.

Can't afford to let Verm go. We need strength in depth in all positions for our title charge. We need to add to the squad, not weaken it. I wake up every morning praying for a big signing to push us on. Is there any hope?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

not photoshopped but...

https://twitter.com/19SCazorla

He couldn't see the paper that he was helping to hold...... riiigggghhhttt. :)
    Anyway, while fans are always at this sort of thing, it's not good when the players themselves get involved. Good to see him apologising.

Can't afford to let Verm go. We need strength in depth in all positions for our title charge. We need to add to the squad, not weaken it. I wake up every morning praying for a big signing to push us on. Is there any hope?

who knows but at least you've only to pray 11 more times \0/

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

who knows but at least you've only to pray 11 more times \0/

That's true. All this praying is tiring. Talk later, it's time for another decade of the rosary. :)

That's true. All this praying is tiring. Talk later, it's time for another decade of the rosary. :)

• Advertisement

Not sure if this was posted yet but check out this video if you havent seen it yet. Lol at Mert!! :D

Have to say Mert has totally converted me :D A club legend! Here is a photo tribute. I salute you BFG!

Per-Mertesacker_20131215102309617_660_320.JPG

Per-Mertesacker-4-620x325.jpg

per-mertesacker-arsenal-tottenham-hotspur-pre_28619521.jpg

article-2505531-1962D24900000578-736_634x449.jpg

tumblr_lgilzfTylI1qdh8sm.jpg

b0a17f4d6cd513f3213a119589d40eff.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Looks like the academy has a new top man. Andries Jonker is his name. Any one know much about him other then whats on arseblog?

jonny666 wrote: »
    Looks like the academy has a new top man. Andries Jonker is his name. Any one know much about him other then whats on arseblog?

He's not too highly regarded in Holland, they make a lot of fun out of him and that he just tagged along with Van Gaal whenever he moved. AFCAcademy are saying that in 9 years as working as a youth coach only 2 players have made the grade. There seems to be quite a bit of negativity out there about him for some reason.

I'll be surprised if Arseblog doesn't have Jeorge Bird do an article on him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

It's really stunning to see how far Mertersacker has come since those early dodgy days in an Arsenal shirt.

Given he's not 30 until September, given he doesn't rely on pace whatsoever, given his obvious love for the club......i could see him being a rock at the heart of the Gunners defence for many years to come. Wenger is a past-master at prolonging the careers of centre-back and Adams was still performing at a really high level at 35.

I really think he has the potential to be mentioned in the same breath as the great David O' Leary and Tony Adams when it comes to legendary Arsenal centre-backs.

It's really stunning to see how far Mertersacker has come since those early dodgy days in an Arsenal shirt.

Given he's not 30 until September, given he doesn't rely on pace whatsoever, given his obvious love for the club......i could see him being a rock at the heart of the Gunners defence for many years to come. Wenger is a past-master at prolonging the careers of centre-back and Adams was still performing at a really high level at 35.

I really think he has the potential to be mentioned in the same breath as the great David O' Leary and Tony Adams when it comes to legendary Arsenal centre-backs.

Merts is a wonderful player there is no doubt, but for me its all about the partnership between him and Koscielny. They complement each other so well. A match made in heaven and a little unfair to mention one without the other imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Per's been good since he arrived, the improvement really isn't that staggering at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What team will we see for Friday night?
    Ramsey, Arteta and Vermaillen expected to miss this game but be back after that.
    I would expect to see Chamberlain, Rosicky, Gibbs, Gnabry and Jenkinson play some part.
    Dont know if Bendtner is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Has a sort of cult following, a bit like Willie Young used to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

A happy goalkeeper is a good goalkeeper :)

article-2520678-19FA9CB600000578-897_634x460.jpg

1122.jpg

11212.jpg

11111.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

He's got a man bag!

What team will we see for Friday night?
    Ramsey, Arteta and Vermaillen expected to miss this game but be back after that.
    I would expect to see Chamberlain, Rosicky, Gibbs, Gnabry and Jenkinson play some part.
    Dont know if Bendtner is fit.

Shame Vermaelen is not back. I think Poldi will start too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

FearDark wrote: »
    He's got a man bag!

A man bag on one arm and a human viarga on the other equals itself out:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FearDark wrote: »
    He's got a man bag!

Ffs is that all you saw!!!! No wonder he is smiling all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahhhhhhhh ffs I thought our FA cup match was tonight for some reason. Have my last exam today was going to buy some nice beers and relax watching the match which I now realise is on Friday.........feck it!!!!

gandalf wrote: »
    Ahhhhhhhh ffs I thought our FA cup match was tonight for some reason. Have my last exam today was going to buy some nice beers and relax watching the match which I now realise is on Friday.........feck it!!!!

Nothing stopping you from getting those beers anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have we been linked with anyone at all? Pretty dead window all in all so far.

Anyone else who reads the other superthreads a little bit baffled by the credit Kagawa seems to get in the United thread? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

AdamD wrote: »
    Have we been linked with anyone at all? Pretty dead window all in all so far.

Anyone else who reads the other superthreads a little bit baffled by the credit Kagawa seems to get in the United thread? :o

I am. That said he probably deserves more time through the middle than he has. His reputation seems to be growing from the bench alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

gandalf wrote: »

Come into the Mercantile we have plenty of beer and hopefully our own room could end up a messy night:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement