Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

FearDark wrote: »
    He's got a man bag!

A sexy brunette in tight shorts and a tight top and you spot the man bag

Shame on you

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

What team will we see for Friday night?
    Ramsey, Arteta and Vermaillen expected to miss this game but be back after that.
    I would expect to see Chamberlain, Rosicky, Gibbs, Gnabry and Jenkinson play some part.
    Dont know if Bendtner is fit.

I expect this is a chance to rest our main players with a midweek game at Southampton coming next. Fabianski, jenkinson, ox, gnabry and gibbs all to start. Do we have anyone to come in and give giroud a rest? If not it's not a good sign with a long run in plus facup and champions league too. Spend arsene spend and let us win that league.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I expect this is a chance to rest our main players with a midweek game at Southampton coming next. Fabianski, jenkinson, ox, gnabry and gibbs all to start. Do we have anyone to come in and give giroud a rest? If not it's not a good sign with a long run in plus facup and champions league too. Spend arsene spend and let us win that league.

They should start Park if Bendtner isn't up to it yet. Keep Giroud on the bench for if we're desperate but we should still have more than enough to beat conventry even with Park up front.

Per's been good since he arrived, the improvement really isn't that staggering at all.

He wasnt without his few hairy moments now the last few years but sure what player thats new to the Premier league isnt in all fairness. At the moment he is immense. Him and Koc have been rock solid and i think what is really separating him from the rest is the leadership he provides. If only we had Mert and Koc back in 2008 when we came agonisingly close to winning the Premier league.

A happy goalkeeper is a good goalkeeper :)

article-2520678-19FA9CB600000578-897_634x460.jpg

1122.jpg

11212.jpg

11111.jpg

:eek: Jesus H Christ on a bike.......Unbelievable Jeff!!!

What team will we see for Friday night?
    Ramsey, Arteta and Vermaillen expected to miss this game but be back after that.
    I would expect to see Chamberlain, Rosicky, Gibbs, Gnabry and Jenkinson play some part.
    Dont know if Bendtner is fit.

I'll be surprised if Frimpong doesn't feature. According to Jeorge Bird he really bust a gut at the last under 21's game, while Wenger was watching.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They should start Park if Bendtner isn't up to it yet. Keep Giroud on the bench for if we're desperate but we should still have more than enough to beat conventry even with Park up front.

Do you not think a club like arsenal should have a lot better players to call on than park and Bendtner. Looking at the striking options of the other top clubs in England its obvious to everyone that this is the position that could cost us our best chance in years. We can all see it so surely Wenger can too. I don't think we can win the title with that kind of back up. If Giroud gets injured we're left with park and Bendtner and that's not good enough for a club like ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

absolutely, the issue is that there's not many good strikers available this window and nobody wants another bad player on big wages in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Do you not think a club like arsenal should have a lot better players to call on than park and Bendtner. Looking at the striking options of the other top clubs in England its obvious to everyone that this is the position that could cost us our best chance in years. We can all see it so surely Wenger can too. I don't think we can win the title with that kind of back up. If Giroud gets injured we're left with park and Bendtner and that's not good enough for a club like ours.

There is also Podolski, Sanogo and Bendtner who would need to be injured before he gets a game this season.

We need another striker agreed but we are not close to needing to use Park for prem games

I really want to see Sanogo getting some game time, and of course I want Afobe to develop into a first teamer.

We also have Joel Campbell to come into the team too next season.

I'd be ok if we didn't buy provided we go big in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I really want to see Sanogo getting some game time, and of course I want Afobe to develop into a first teamer.

We also have Joel Campbell to come into the team too next season.

I'd be ok if we didn't buy provided we go big in the summer.

The problem with that though is that we are now in our best position to win the league for the last 10 years.
    If Wenger buys or borrows a center-forward and we lose the league then he will be credited with trying to plug the gap.
    If he doesn't and we fail narrowly then will he be forgiven for failing to try and fix things?

Not easy being a manager.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I honestly think that if AW found a player who are willing to move, there would be no issue with the club putting up the cash.

The real problem is picking/getting the right player.

Realistically I dont think any club is going to manage the signing of a top striker - regardless of who you are. That leaves us with a stop-gap squad player or improving in other areas. I dont think we need midfield cover and defensively we are great this season so a new CB would be a bit-player.

The only real world class signing we need is up front and I cant see any of the really big names leaving their current club. So if we sign someone expect it to be a competent striker but no one of any great significance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I honestly think that if AW found a player who are willing to move, there would be no issue with the club putting up the cash.

The real problem is picking/getting the right player.

Realistically I dont think any club is going to manage the signing of a top striker - regardless of who you are. That leaves us with a stop-gap squad player or improving in other areas. I dont think we need midfield cover and defensively we are great this season so a new CB would be a bit-player.

The only real world class signing we need is up front and I cant see any of the really big names leaving their current club. So if we sign someone expect it to be a competent striker but no one of any great significance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The problem with that though is that we are now in our best position to win the league for the last 10 years.
    If Wenger buys or borrows a center-forward and we lose the league then he will be credited with trying to plug the gap.
    If he doesn't and we fail narrowly then will he be forgiven for failing to try and fix things?

You'll also get people that will say he disrupted the squad by bringing someone new in half way through.

very true, but that's why he's got a seven million quid a year contract on the table waiting for his signature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A top quality striker is needed but is virtually impossible to get right now, don't people think if one were available that Mourinho would also be looking, Mourinho has terrible forward depth, refuses to play Mata, allows his form striker to leave on loan, resigns a player at a huge financial loss, and yet he is championed as a God and Wenger is criticised by his own for not been pro-active enough, really the mind boggles!

mou has been succesful in getting trophies elsewhere and recently though.

The media folks don’t care that he’s completely classless, that he’s a tiresome wind-up merchant. He gives good quotes and he’s “box office”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A top quality striker is needed but is virtually impossible to get right now, don't people think if one were available that Mourinho would also be looking, Mourinho has terrible forward depth, refuses to play Mata, allows his form striker to leave on loan, resigns a player at a huge financial loss, and yet he is championed as a God and Wenger is criticised by his own for not been pro-active enough, really the mind boggles!

I agree with what you say but in fairness I don't there have been many who have been critical of Wenger or the club this window everyone realises how hard it is to find a quality CF and how it's made even harder in the January transfer window.

We all realise the club is stuck between a rock and a hard place really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

:eek: Jesus H Christ on a bike.......Unbelievable Jeff!!!

Yeah, it is a lovely suit, isn't it.

• Advertisement

I think people are underestimating the value of balance in the team.

Right now, we're very well organised and balanced and that has us at the top of the league.

For me any attempt to switch and go two up front would be nuts right now. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

We do not need another Giroud. As Wenger said the other day he's looking for someone that can play 'with or without' Giroud. I guess that's someone like Higuain.

So we're looking for a great player that can augment the attack and compliment Giroud but no way are we going to try and put that tactic in place till the summer.

So if we sign a striker, then for the remainder of the year they can only be competition/backup to Giroud.

Then the worry is squad dynamic and balance. Can the new guy be relied upon? How will Giroud react?

Really it seems risky to me to mess with what we have. No way will a striker be better than Giroud as a lone front man immediately upon arriving in England. Would they even be better backup than Nicky B off the bat, who for all the abuse we have given him has gained is 4 points this season in the only two times we really needed him.

I think we do have a goal deficit after Walcott's injury but I'm not so sure we can get them from a striker. Would make more sense to look for an excellent RWF but then you have to ask who? I mean in the PL, you're looking at Hazard, Walcott and maybe one or two more who could do that. It's a very small list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

CatInABox wrote: »
    You'll also get people that will say he disrupted the squad by bringing someone new in half way through.

If he was only there in case of an injury to Giroud or just used in cup games or to give Giroud a rest I don't think there would be any disruption.

If Giroud was injured and also Bentner then we have Podolski and even then we would need cover.
    I don't think we will get anyone by the way.
    If all our players were fit then we're ok.
    Also from what i've seen of him I don't rate Sanogo as yet though he might turn out ok in time.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think people are underestimating the value of balance in the team.

Right now, we're very well organised and balanced and that has us at the top of the league.

For me any attempt to switch and go two up front would be nuts right now. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

We do not need another Giroud. As Wenger said the other day he's looking for someone that can play 'with or without' Giroud. I guess that's someone like Higuain.

So we're looking for a great player that can augment the attack and compliment Giroud but no way are we going to try and put that tactic in place till the summer.

So if we sign a striker, then for the remainder of the year they can only be competition/backup to Giroud.

Then the worry is squad dynamic and balance. Can the new guy be relied upon? How will Giroud react?

Really it seems risky to me to mess with what we have. No way will a striker be better than Giroud as a lone front man immediately upon arriving in England. Would they even be better backup than Nicky B off the bat, who for all the abuse we have given him has gained is 4 points this season in the only two times we really needed him.

I think we do have a goal deficit after Walcott's injury but I'm not so sure we can get them from a striker. Would make more sense to look for an excellent RWF but then you have to ask who? I mean in the PL, you're looking at Hazard, Walcott and maybe one or two more who could do that. It's a very small list.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're underachieving or in the relegation zone, then it's straightforward enough to go out and buy the best player you can, stick him straight in, and hope he makes the difference. There's no real risk.

When you're already top it's really difficult.

Also from what i've seen of him I don't rate Sanogo as yet though he might turn out ok in time.

Yeah he's not hit the ground running like gnabry but he has ability. He's more of a hope than a certainty. Afobe could be good in time too.

Torres, eto and demba ba is not too shabby in fairness. I would say thats strength in depth. Sanoga, park and Bendtner no. And podolski hardly ever plays as a striker, much more comfortable on the left. Reinforcements are essential if we are to stay competitive.

Torres, eto and demba ba is not too shabby in fairness. I would say thats strength in depth. Sanoga, park and Bendtner no. And podolski hardly ever plays as a striker, much more comfortable on the left. Reinforcements are essential if we are to stay competitive.

Really? Chelsea striking option although look good on paper are atrocious. They can barely find a goal between them apart from this weekend.

I would argue City, Liverpool and United have stronger options than us, but Chelsea are in he exact same boat as us and the one team who when I look at there forward line I'm not envious.

• Advertisement

Really? Chelsea striking option although look good on paper are atrocious. They can barely find a goal between them apart from this weekend.

I would argue City, Liverpool and United have stronger options than us, but Chelsea are in he exact same boat as us and the one team who when I look at there forward line I'm not envious.

Agreed that they haven't been doing great but I think that's down to Mourinho chopping and changing on not giving Ba a fair run. Any of those three would be a vast improvement as backup to giroud compared to what we have. All experienced goalscorers who are with the wrong manager.

Agreed that they haven't been doing great but I think that's down to Mourinho chopping and changing on not giving Ba a fair run. Any of those three would be a vast improvement as backup to giroud compared to what we have. All experienced goalscorers who are with the wrong manager.

Ah I don't think you can blame Mourinho, Torres has been muck under a fair few managers, Eto was brilliant for Mourinho at Inter he just came to the EPL to late and his best years are behind him. Ba is decent back up but not good enough which is exactly what Wenger wanted him as backup until Chelsea pulled the plug.

Ah I don't think you can blame Mourinho, Torres has been muck under a fair few managers, Eto was brilliant for Mourinho at Inter he just came to the EPL to late and his best years are behind him. Ba is decent back up but not good enough which is exactly what Wenger wanted him as backup until Chelsea pulled the plug.

So which trio would you rather have on your side for a title run in.
    Giroud. Bendtner. Sanogo.
    Or.
    Eto. Torres. Ba.

So which trio would you rather have on your side for a title run in.
    Giroud. Bendtner. Sanogo.
    Or.
    Eto. Torres. Ba.

the one with Giroud in it because he is a better player than all 3 of Chelsea's options.

the one with Giroud in it because he is a better player than all 3 of Chelsea's options.

Ya exactly. So my question to you is what do we do if Giroud picks up an injury that keeps him out for a few months.

• Advertisement

Ya exactly. So my question to you is what do we do if Giroud picks up an injury that keeps him out for a few months.

Hey I never said what we have is ideal, fcuk I've been one of the people critical of Giroud at times but id still rather be in our position than Chelsea's is all I'm saying ;)

Hey I never said what we have is ideal, fcuk I've been one of the people critical of Giroud at times but id still rather be in our position than Chelsea's is all I'm saying ;)

Fair enough Marty, here's hoping for a nice signing before the end of the month.
    COYG.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Getting a top class striker in this window looks highly unlikely so I just hope we can get a decent loan stop-gap who can play instead of Giroud for a couple of games (at a standard higher than Bendtner)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Since there are so few options out there right now, would anyone be opposed to Henry for the rest of the season? He did well during his previous loan but is obviously older now. Saying that, he would still be more useful to have on the bench than Park and Bendtner.

Unlikely, but surely something worth looking at? Get a permanent signing then during the summer when we have a Premier League title to show off. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Since there are so few options out there right now, would anyone be opposed to Henry for the rest of the season? He did well during his previous loan but is obviously older now. Saying that, he would still be more useful to have on the bench than Park and Bendtner.

Unlikely, but surely something worth looking at? Get a permanent signing then during the summer when we have a Premier League title to show off. :D

We'd only be able to have him until the MLS kicks off though.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Getting Henry back is a total non-starter for me. He's just not at the level needed anymore.

He has nothing to gain by coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Getting Henry back is a total non-starter for me. He's just not at the level needed anymore.

He has nothing to gain by coming back.

Agree, 100%. As much as i love TH14 if it was a case of him coming back or sticking with Bendtner, id stick with Bendy Boots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Sanogo meant to be quick? Might be good to see him on the subs bench for Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

greendom wrote: »
    Is Sanogo meant to be quick? Might be good to see him on the subs bench for Friday

not back training until monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

So what do people think about the potential Mata deal?

Sky are falling over themselves for Mourinho over this. "Oh he's so clever that Mourinho." Just because Chelsea don't have to play United again this season and United still have to play Chelsea's rivals they seem to think this is some sort of master stroke by Mourinho. What about next season and the following seasons? Seems incredibly short termist to me,but then that's what Mourinho is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sky are falling over themselves for Mourinho over this. "Oh he's so clever that Mourinho." Just because Chelsea don't have to play United again this season and United still have to play Chelsea's rivals they seem to think this is some sort of master stroke by Mourinho. What about next season and the following seasons? Seems incredibly short termist to me,but then that's what Mourinho is.

Yeah he's so clever, selling his best player (yes, Mata is, by a distance) to the league champions. That will work well.

Hey, Chelsea have become the new Arsenal! :pac:

If I was chelsea I’d be offering mata to PSG and Ath Madrid, anyone but united.
    This is the time to kick united when they’re down, to keep them down for as long as possible, with their resources it could only be a season or two but giving them one of the best attacking mids in the world is a mistake. A big signing could spark off their season,
    And they’re not too far behind 4th spot (they’re too far behind us though, 14 points). Missing out on the CL would be a disaster for united. Something any right minded Chelsea or arsenal fan wants to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Maybe he's just trolling them. Drag out the deal til 11pm on deadline day and then pull out, having never had any intention of selling him. Like Demba Ba to Arsenal.

Maybe he's just trolling them. Drag out the deal til 11pm on deadline day and then pull out, having never had any intention of selling him. Like Demba Ba to Arsenal.

If he's doing this then I will be happy with Mou for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United play us and City once, that's a max of 3 points dropped per team. MAX. In selling him they'd be strengthening United who are likely to be back challenging next year. I'd be shocked if Mourinho did it, hes not stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Mata - PSG Most likely
    Mata - United Probably
    Mata - Arsenal Won't happen, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

FearDark wrote: »
    Mata - PSG Most likely
    Mata - United Probably
    Mata - Arsenal Won't happen, ever.
    We could do with a no 10 to be fair.

--Cazorla---Ozil---Mata

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Seems the most likely scenario to me. As with us it doesn't matter a jot if it ends in bad taste, they won't need to do business with us/United anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

AdamD wrote: »
    Seems the most likely scenario to me. As with us it doesn't matter a jot if it ends in bad taste, they won't need to do business with us/United anytime soon.

Revenge for not selling them Rooney in August and leaving them stuck with Etoo!

Actually that didnt work out to well for United did it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

OR he plans on managing United next season... MWHAHAHAHATA!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement