Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just had a thought...I wonder if RVP looks over now at Arsenals creative players added since his departure (Cazorla, Ozil etc) and cant help but think what it would be like playing in front of that quality.

*cough Cleverly**cough

I'm sure a quick glance at his PL medal takes his mind off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Do we have any other cbs apart from kos per Verm and sagna?

Dunno how we will cope when the cup games start, surely we can't play them 3 in every game,that's without one of them getting injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    Delighted as I am with Ozil, I think we're in a battle for 4th again and I think it will be even tighter than last year. The only hope to relieve the pressure is if one of the teams above us falter. Something I see as unlikely but possible.

I disagree think were in battle for champions league places we could finish 1st to 5th imo the league this year will be very competitive, saying were fighting for 4th is under estimiating our form and players either that or over estimating our opposition.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    I think they've had a better window than spurs, Spurs lost their one game changing player. Liverpool have kept theirs and added quality with Sakho, PL experience with mingolet Moses and Toure,
    Potential with Ilori and squad depth with aspas and the other lad.

Moses is average at best there, also there is a reason Mourinho was wiling to let him go on loan at Liverpool, Toure is finished at the highest level, neither are good aqusitions.

Spurs have bought better but they will be relying a lot on Eriksen or Lamela to settle and impress quickly or they could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Do we have any other cbs apart from kos per Verm and sagna?

Dunno how we will cope when the cup games start, surely we can't play them 3 in every game,that's without one of them getting injured.

we have hayden, suppose johan could be recalled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I wouldn't take Gerrard over Wilshere. Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I disagree think were in battle for champions league places we could finish 1st to 5th imo the league this year will be very competitive, saying were fighting for 4th is under estimiating our form and players either that or over estimating our opposition.

Moses is average at best there, also there is a reason Mourinho was wiling to let him go on loan at Liverpool, Toure is finished at the highest level, neither are good aqusitions.

Spurs have bought better but they will be relying a lot on Eriksen or Lamela to settle and impress quickly or they could be in trouble.

hope you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Raf32 wrote: »
    Just thought I would compare us to Liverpool, open to corrections!
    Mignolet > Szczesny
    Sagna > Johnson
    Kos > Toure
    Agger > Per
    Gibbs > Enrique
    Arteta > Lucas
    Gerrard > Wilshere
    Ozil > Coutinho
    Cazorla > Sturridge
    Walcott > Moses
    Suarez > Giroud

4 for them, 7 for us.

Second teams
    Vivano > Jones
    Jenkinson > Kelly
    TV5 > Skrtel
    Sakho > ?
    Monreal > Cissohko
    Flamini > ?
    Ramsey > Henderson
    Rosicky > Allen
    Ox > Sterling
    Podolski > Alberto
    Aspas > Nicky B

9 for us, and two for them.
    We have a stronger first 11, and a much stronger squad especially in midfield and up top. Open to any corrections.

thats going to get huge contention especially as so many can be changed. depends on your POV but Liverpool fans could go Gerrard > Ozil for example or Suarez > Carzola, Sturridge > Giroud etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mignolet > Szczesny
    Sagna > Johnson
    Kos > Toure
    Agger > Per
    Gibbs > Enrique
    Arteta > Lucas
    Gerrard > Wilshere
    Ozil > Coutinho
    Cazorla > Sturridge
    Walcott > Moses
    Suarez > Giroud

4 for them, 7 for us.

Second teams
    Vivano > Jones
    Jenkinson > Kelly
    TV5 > Skrtel
    Sakho > ?
    Monreal > Cissohko
    Flamini > ?
    Ramsey > Henderson
    Rosicky > Allen
    Ox > Sterling
    Podolski > Alberto
    Aspas > Nicky B

We have a stronger first 11, and a much stronger squad especially in midfield and up top. Open to any corrections.

I never think comparing teams on a player by player basis actually works tbh

like Cazorla and Sturridge is hardly like for like, either is Gerrard for Wilshere

etc etc

though I agree we are stronger. They lack quality depth at CM imo and have no good wingers, though Suarez would be if he plays there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jesus, can we stop talking about RVP.

It's beginning to sound like a jilted ex-girlfriend that lost some weight and got her hair done - 'look at me now - hah'

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I hate those compare 11 things.

Anyway, Spurs don't seem to have enough creativity in midfield. Their central midfield options should cover over some of their defensive issues but they'll suffer at the other as a result.

Liverpool I'm not sure about. Lucas is great for them defensively and they're looking well setup to defend leads. Not sure how they'll cope if they start conceding the first goal, although Suarez will be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

A Spurs fan said to me last season:

Lloris > Chesney

Walker > Sagna
    Vertonghen > Vermaelen
    Dawson > Koscielny
    Assou-Ekotto > Gibbs

Arsenal conceded 37 goals. Spurs conceded 46.

Park, Gnabry and Diaby not included in Arsenal's Champions League squad

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

slingerz wrote: »
    thats going to get huge contention especially as so many can be changed. depends on your POV but Liverpool fans could go Gerrard > Ozil for example or Suarez > Carzola, Sturridge > Giroud etc.

Gerrard in his prime> Ozil. Really in his prime Gerrard was better than anyone. But how it is now, i'd pick Wilshere over Gerrard.

If your comparing you would compare the first XI rather than individual players.

First XI is probably quite close between the two

Szecheny
    Sagna Kos Mert Monreal
    Arteta Wilshire
    Walcott Ozil Carzola
    Giroud

Mignolet
    Johnson Sakho Agger Enrique
    Gerrard Lucas
    Moses Suarez Coutinho
    Sturridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Gerrard in his prime> Ozil. Really in his prime Gerrard was better than anyone. But how it is now, i'd pick Wilshere over Gerrard.

Gerard better than ozil? Not a chance, never was.

• Advertisement

tbf i'd agree for the most part but Gerrard last weekend was vastly superior to anything Wilshire has shown in recent months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well you'd have to be a bit crazy to think Gerrard's > Ozil. Not that they play the same position anyway.

Gerard better than ozil? Not a chance, never was.

While different types of players i would think in the EPL at least Gerrard in his prime would be more effective than Ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ah lads not this comparing bollock$ again, we only got rid of the last infestation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Liverpool have a good first team and are playing good football. You get the feeling though that squad depth might hit them later on in the year.

Apart from some of the negative comments, I wish them well. They treated the Suarez case well and showed that in there eyes the whole 'no player is bigger than the club' rings true.

I'm sure he would have left if their valuation was met but it wasn't. Personally I hope we move on and don't look at him again. Mad to sign him this summer but that was based purely on needs vrs who was available. Hopefully some other forwards will come to the fore.

I do think though that our squad is lacking a Suarez/Tevez type. A really mobile terrier up front. Hopefully though, if we do find one, he'll come without the baggage of those two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Park, Gnabry and Diaby not included in Arsenal's Champions League squad
    You have a link to the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Just had a thought...I wonder if RVP looks over now at Arsenals creative players added since his departure (Cazorla, Ozil etc) and cant help but think what it would be like playing in front of that quality.

*cough Cleverly**cough

He had a look alright, but the shine from his Premier League Winner's medal dazzled him and he had to look away! :D

But in all seriousness I'm delighted to see Ozil go to Arsenal rather than City or Chelsea. Obviously I would have loved to have seen him come to United but I'd rather Kagawa be given a chance in a similar position first, and Arsenal is a good fit for him. I really admire how Wenger has gone about his business over the last few years. It must have been tough not having loads of money to spend while the new stadium was being paid off and losing his best players, and the fan reaction that went with that, but he did great with what he had and has kept them near the top of the league.

With Ozil joining I'm sure they'll push on even further this year.

... people still think Monreal is our first choice LB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Mignolet > Szczesny
    Sagna > Johnson
    Kos > Toure
    Agger > Per
    Gibbs > Enrique
    Arteta > Lucas
    Gerrard > Wilshere
    Ozil > Coutinho
    Cazorla > Sturridge
    Walcott > Moses
    Suarez > Giroud

4 for them, 7 for us.

Second teams
    Vivano > Jones
    Jenkinson > Kelly
    TV5 > Skrtel
    Sakho > ?
    Monreal > Cissohko
    Flamini > ?
    Ramsey > Henderson
    Rosicky > Allen
    Ox > Sterling
    Podolski > Alberto
    Aspas > Nicky B

Ramsay is on our first team, ahead of Wilshere. Sturridge is who we should compare to Giroud, and Cazorla to Suarez I think. Also, Per is much better than Agger.

Mignolet > Szczesny
    Sagna > Johnson
    Kos > Toure
    Per > Agger
    Gibbs > Enrique
    Arteta > Lucas
    Gerrard > Ramsay
    Ozil > Coutinho
    Suarez > Cazorla
    Walcott > Moses
    Giroud > Sturridge

That's 8-3 to us, I think it's reasonable.

Viviano = Jones (don't know enough to pick either)
    Jenkinson > Kelly
    TV5 = Skrtel
    Sakho > ?
    Monreal > Cissohko
    Flamini > ?
    Wilshere > Henderson
    Rosicky > Allen
    Ox > Sterling
    Podolski > Alberto
    Aspas > Gnabry

That's 6-3, with two ties. Couldn't list Nicky B as an option for us, so went with Gnabry.

Either way, we're much better than they are. But that should've been obvious already anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Can we stop feeding the Spurs/Liverpool trolls please.

Use the ignore button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If your comparing you would compare the first XI rather than individual players.

First XI is probably quite close between the two

Szecheny
    Sagna Kos Mert Monreal
    Arteta Wilshire
    Walcott Ozil Cazorla
    Giroud

Mignolet
    Johnson Sakho Agger Enrique
    Gerrard Lucas
    Moses Suarez Coutinho
    Sturridge

Sticking in Ramsay for Wilshere in that, I couldn't see anyone arguing that Arsenal's isn't a much stronger team. A better defence (just look at last season, I don't think that's up for debate) and much higher quality all around in midfield, and I'd rate Giroud above Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Quazzie wrote: »
    According to that, Jenkinson isn't in the squad :confused:

he is homegrown, diaby and park only real absentees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Gerrard > Özil?

tumblr_m9rxcjOEZf1r5kyvmo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

How about a mixed XI, The best from both teams, should be easy.

Suarez

Cazorla
    Ozil
    Coutinho

Wilshere

Lucas

Gibbs
    Kos
    Sakho
    Sagna

Mignolet

OH DEAR GOD. STOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Sakho? The boy hasn't even played a game for them yet, and wasn't even playing much for PSG. You can't compare potential vs. actual ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

OH DEAR GOD. STOP.

I agree, it's all about the end of the season whoever finishes higher then each other then we can compare. It's a long season ahead. Let's talk Arsenal and forget about the rest of the rubbish.

Sakho? The boy hasn't even played a game for them yet, and wasn't even playing much for PSG. You can't compare potential vs. actual ability

He's good for me in Fifa, same thing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Interesting Ryo and Zelalem ahead of Gnabry and Eisfield. Not looking good for Eisfield futuere at the club with so many in there ahead of him and all of them pretty young

So whats the next few games in the premiership after international break?

Looper007 wrote: »
    So whats the next few games in the premiership after international break?

sunder land away and stoke at home with Marseille away in between, toughish!

Sunderland away, followed by Stoke at home. Have a ticket for Stoke - will be witnessing Ozil's home debut I hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's been excellent in the games he's played in so far. Easily our best defender. I wouldn't right him off just yet.

sunder land away and stoke at home with Marseille away in between, toughish!

We should be good enough to beat Sunderland and Stoke, that's if we have no hangover from the international break. I expect 6 points from them games.

Marseille will be tough but we should beat them.

Sunderland away, followed by Stoke at home. Have a ticket for Stoke - will be witnessing Ozil's home debut I hope :)

Let's hope he doesn't suffer any knocks. Hope you have a good time and make some noise :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I'm sure a quick glance at his PL medal takes his mind off it.

Don't play football myself but seems odd getting any joy out of that medal. I feel it would have been much more of an achievement in life to have stuck by Wenger and won the league with Arsenal. Going to the rival team like that seems the wrong way to win the medal. Surely how you win is more important and reflective of you than winning. (I'm a bit naive maybe)

I felt the same about Fabregas moving to Barca and looking so happy after winning things, it's not as if Barca weren't going to win those things anyway, ya know? (although fair enough who wouldn't want to move back home etc, so it's different for me that Fab moved). Still don't get the Yay we won, of course you did, you play for Barcelona.

I really think Ozil must be a legend because he has moved the opposite way to the others.

I really hope Arsenal start winning things again anyway and do it playing in that beautiful way that made me start watching them. I'm a neutral but I want Arsenal/Wenger to conquer the world ha!
    Cause I think he has gone about it the right way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We should be good enough to beat Sunderland and Stoke, that's if we have no hangover from the international break. I expect 6 points from them games.

Marseille will be tough but we should beat them.

Both marseille matches are must wins to give us a bit of lee way against Napoli and Dortmund.

I'm confident we can top the group though. Will be expecting 9 points from our home matches.

symbolic wrote: »
    Don't play football myself but seems odd getting any joy out of that medal. I feel it would have been much more of an achievement in life to have stuck by Wenger and won the league with Arsenal. Going to the rival team like that seems the wrong way to win the medal. Surely how you win is more important and reflective of you than winning. (I'm a bit naive maybe)

I understand why Van Persie did it, it still sucks seen as we stuck by him through injury after injury has one awesome season then buggers off to Utd. If we were making the signings like Ozil at the time and stuck by our gun's with Fabergas and made him play out his contract, I think he would have stayed imo. But in truth I doubt he cares about Arsenal as long as he knocks the goals in and wins cups at UTD he's always going to be a hero at Old Trafford.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Both marseille matches are must wins to give us a bit of lee way against Napoli and Dortmund.

I'm confident we can top the group though. Will be expecting 9 points from our home matches.

I think we can beat Napoli and Marseille, I don't fear them.
    Dortmund are the team I fear apart from Gotze they have a strong team still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

symbolic wrote: »

I felt the same about Fabregas moving to Barca and looking so happy after winning things, it's not as if Barca weren't going to win those things anyway, ya know? (although fair enough who wouldn't want to move back home etc, so it's different for me that Fab moved). Still don't get the Yay we won, of course you did, you play for Barcelona.

I really think Ozil must be a legend because he has moved the opposite way to the others.

I really hope Arsenal start winning things again anyway and do it playing in that beautiful way that made me start watching them. I'm a neutral but I want Arsenal/Wenger to conquer the world ha!
    Cause I think he has gone about it the right way.

I don't think it's fair to compare RVP going to united the same as Fab going to Barca. Fab joined us from Barca and I don't think it was any secret that he'd end up back there are some point.

It may be different if he decides to leave Bacra and goes somewhere else if he has the option to join us. He's won the medals at Barca, he can't use that as an excuse from going to united.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I understand why Van Persie did it, it still sucks seen as we stuck by him through injury after injury has one awesome season then buggers off to Utd. If we were making the signings like Ozil at the time and stuck by our gun's with Fabergas and made him play out his contract, I think he would have stayed imo. But in truth I doubt he cares about Arsenal as long as he knocks the goals in and wins cups at UTD he's always going to be a hero at Old Trafford.

I kind of like the fact they didn't make Fabregas or van persie play out their contract. I'd be thinking, if you want to leave, leave!

I don't think it's fair to compare RVP going to united the same as Fab going to Barca. Fab joined us from Barca and I don't think it was any secret that he'd end up back there are some point.

It may be different if he decides to leave Bacra and goes somewhere else if he has the option to join us. He's won the medals at Barca, he can't use that as an excuse from going to united.

Ah yeah I do totally agree. I just thought it was funny, because obviously you are going to win medals playing with the Barca team he moved too. They probably could of played myself a few times and still won some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

What's all this comparison **** between us and loliverpool or spuds? Why are we not comparing ourselves against man utd, city or chelsea?
    As far as I'm concerned, these are our main rivals this year. If we want to compare ourselves against them other two clubs, then why not compare ourselves against Fulham or palace?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement