Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's how much decent backup players cost these days
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well.......yeah?

As Gringo said I'd rather if we must wait till the summer and spend double that if we must on a player who will improve the first eleven or at least challenge for a spot something Hernandez will never do and would end up being more deadwood at the club imo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As Gringo said I'd rather if we must wait till the summer and spend double that if we must on a player who will improve the first eleven or at least challenge for a spot something Hernandez will never do and would end up being more deadwood at the club imo.

I think he would strengthen the squad, he's never been dead wood at united.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

FearDark wrote: »
    BT only.

Another match of crappy stream for me so.

I'd rather watch it projected on to the back of a flea ridden donkey's arse in the middle of Syria than have to listen to Michael Owen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think he would strengthen the squad, he's never been dead wood at united.

He has been pretty much the last two seasons, his first season he was a bit of a revelation but has dropped off since, plus I don't think he would suit our system he is a goal poacher he's not a very technical player or one who will play brilliant one twos with players I'd bet if he were to play at Arsenal he would end up looking very isolated.

If United would be willing to sell him to us you have to think why? There not idiots like Chelsea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He has been pretty much the last two seasons, his first season he was a bit of a revelation but has dropped off since, plus I don't think he would suit our system he is a goal poacher he's not a very technical player or one who will play brilliant one twos with players I'd bet if he were to play at Arsenal he would end up looking very isolated.

If United would be willing to sell him to us you have to think why? There not idiots like Chelsea.

I doubt we'd be in for him anyway, and united probably won't sell to us. He scored 18 goals last season has 7 this season, hardly dead wood though.

I agree he would be isolated up front on his own, but I'd see him more as a plan B striker when the gameplan isn't working which is what we're really missing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

id love to have Chico. Great option of the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

We have pod doing the same Chico would do, and why would he leave uniteds bench just to sit at on our one. Plus I doubt united would sell him to us either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not sure if it's been posted before, nice write up on Zelalem in the guardian, how Arsenal got him, his life so far, and the international options that he has.

See here.
    How can the hype begin so soon? The English media always builds them up to knock them down. It is unfair.

The disclaimer, however, rings hollow in this case or, at least, it is overwhelmed by the weight of excitement that has built around this precocious midfield talent. At Arsenal, they dare to believe that they have unearthed their most promising player since Cesc Fábregas while the story of Arsène Wenger's first look at the boy, during his trial at the club, has crackled around football's grapevine.

The manager watched for a matter of minutes before he pulled Zelalem's father to one side. "Your son will play for Arsenal," Wenger said. Academy forms would be prepared. He joined upon his 16th birthday last January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I don't think Chico would be anything at all like Pod. If we were drawing a game or 2-1 down with half an hour to go he'd be an excellent option to bring on, he could take advantage of Giroud's link up play and play purely as the fox in the box.

Often when we're pushing for a goal we're missing that last man because Giroud has held it up and been too heavily involved in the build-up. I'd want Chico to come on and never leave the shoulder of the opponent's centre halves, to snatch on the scraps and capitalise on those late balls that at present go to nobody most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chicarito would be miles from deadwood. Best option in the league off the bench imo. Not that he'd move to play the same role here, if hes leaving its because he wants to be the main man somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

AdamD wrote: »
    Chicarito would be miles from deadwood. Best option in the league off the bench imo. Not that he'd move to play the same role here, if hes leaving its because he wants to be the main man somewhere.

I wouldn't be sure about that, I'm sure at this stage in his career he knows what he is, much like Solskjaer at United before him. He doesn't have the physique to lead the line, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I don't think Chico would be anything at all like Pod. If we were drawing a game or 2-1 down with half an hour to go he'd be an excellent option to bring on, he could take advantage of Giroud's link up play and play purely as the fox in the box.

Often when we're pushing for a goal we're missing that last man because Giroud has held it up and been too heavily involved in the build-up. I'd want Chico to come on and never leave the shoulder of the opponent's centre halves, to snatch on the scraps and capitalise on those late balls that at present go to nobody most of the time.

Be invaluable option there alright. Dunno why he would move from being a sub at Arsenal to being one at Man U though. That said his options are limited with the amount of teams that go with two out and out strikers now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If CFC were ok with it do you think Mata would choose us over Utd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I really really dislike Mourihno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why are posters so worried about the cost of players?
    Nothing to do with us at all unless we are shareholders.

The cost has absolutely nothing to do with fans. Anyway we seem to be loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

I guess because people feel that Wenger has a certain amount to spend and dont want him spending it on players they dont calass as good enough.

I still want Berbatov for what its worth.

Well if we only have X to spend, which we normally do, then yes the cost must be factored into how satisfied you'd be with a signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mourinho would never sell us Mata but if he was available to us, we'd be mad not to imo.

Hernandez could start for us potentially too.

I do think Wenger's strategy is Draxler and convert him into a Striker. There was a link somewhere showing his stats when played centrally are similar to that of a striker.

If Chamberlain moves into the centre, which I think he will next season, then we likely need reinforcements on the flanks. you'll have Walcott, Cazorla, Podolski and Gnabry. Could do with something more there; maybe its a Griezmann, maybe Joel Campbell will be ready (I have to say though, there's a smell of Carlos Vela off this guy)? Who knows.

We do need to start preparing a little bit for succession too; a few of the team will be into their 30s by the end of this year; Arteta (32) Rosicky (34), Sagna (31), Flamini (30), Santi (30). No harm I feel having one eye on successors to these players who are as things stand all very very important players to this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The last thing I want us to become is a chequebook club, just buying trophies, I'm quite proud of the way our club always has and hopefully always will be run.

Obviouslly there is a happy medium and we don't want to end up with what happened in the last 10 seasons or so, but tbf that was a means to an end.

A prudently run club operating ithin its means but not afraid to spend cash on genuiine World class talent is what I want for Arsenal and I think thats exactly where we are now.

Well if we only have X to spend, which we normally do, then yes the cost must be factored into how satisfied you'd be with a signing.

So would people be happier with spending X then spending nothing?
    We bought some dross before for big money and got great players for a pittance.
    Its the luck of the draw.

I would be more worried about the price of tickets as a fan if I was buying a season ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If CFC were ok with it do you think Mata would choose us over Utd?

Carzorla--Mata--Ozil

that would be insane :) I'd imagine he would have chosen UTD. He'll be the midfield King there, at Arsenal he'd just be one of many top class players.

Also he can shaft UTD for huge money as they need him in the worst of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

The last thing I want us to become is a chequebook club, just buying trophies, I'm quite proud of the way our club always has and hopefully always will be run.

Obviouslly there is a happy medium and we don't want to end up with what happened in the last 10 seasons or so, but tbf that was a means to an end.

A prudently run club operating ithin its means but not afraid to spend cash on genuiine World class talent is what I want for Arsenal and I think thats exactly where we are now.

You can't have 25 superdooper world class players though. You have to build a squad too. And a title winning squad cost a LOT of money these days.

While your right we have money to spend at the moment i would have been very very worried if we were doing a Leeds/Portsmouth when we didnt have it. Thats the other side. It would be an uncomfortable sensatation going to bed at night and not knowing whether your favourite club will cease to exist by morning time and that was the reality at those clubs.

The last ten years the fact of the matter is we didnt have it and it is testament to Wenger that he still managed to break us into the top 4 and reach 2 league cup finals as well as a Champions league final along the way.

Yes your right it is time to spend but other then a world class player being available or a stop gap signing/loanee in the class of Berba/Ba then i cannot see the logic in spending for the sake of spending. We are gone past the pound shop stage. We can now afford to shop at Harrods. Its looking like we wont sign anyone but it wouldnt surprise me if we did either. Still 1 week left.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We wouldn't really have the room to accommodate Mata even if signing him was remotely possible. We have enough cooks already.

Chicarito on loan would make sense, signing him permanently wouldn't. Should be looking for a Giroud upgrade long term, not a backup.

Wenger made a very true statement in his press conference yesterday
    "But not everyone will strengthen. They buy, but that does not always mean strengthen.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Has Mourinho ever developed a talented youngster into a top player like Wenger has or does he just buy them ready made? Can't think of any examples of him doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Guardian Manchester football correspondent Jamie Jackson on Twitter: "Mata transfer delayed. More soon."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If Zelalem makes his debut tonight he'll be the first player to represent Arsenal who wasn't alive when Arsene took charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Carzorla--Mata--Ozil

that would be insane :) I'd imagine he would have chosen UTD. He'll be the midfield King there, at Arsenal he'd just be one of many top class players.

Also he can shaft UTD for huge money as they need him in the worst of ways.

I don't think Wenger will try to buy Mata.

There isn't room for Ozil and Mata in the same side. Neither track back to the required amount and it's the same reason Podolski is failing to get a start.

So if Wenger brought in Mata, it would really affect the balance of the team if he starts with Ozil.

Instead, we have Cazorla on the left who tracks back a hell of a lot. It goes with the fact (I'm almost sure) that Cazorla has played in all our league clean sheets. He's not the main factor but it helps, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I really ****in despise Mourinho. The constant lack of respect he shows Wenger says more about him than Wenger.

Personally I think he is jealous of Wenger because he commands more of a footballing respect than he does despite his trophys in recent years.

That is all...........

Arsenal become a cheque-book club?? Never.
    When have we spent anything near 100 million?

Rarely have we bought players except to replace a player (sometimes not even for that reason) and our bank balance has always been healthy.
    That's why I believed we would not buy in this window.
    Thought we might have got a player on loan though as Walcott is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anybody going for a cheeky prediction for tonight?

A repeat of our previous meeting would be lovely but I'd be have with a commanding 3-0 Arsenal win

Anybody going for a cheeky prediction for tonight?

A repeat of our previous meeting would be lovely but I'd be have with a commanding 3-0 Arsenal win

I like to know the team we are sending out before I make my bets.
    I can see players being rested tonight.
    We will win but until we know the team a first goalscorer bet is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I like to know the team we are sending out before I make my bets.
    I can see players being rested tonight.
    We will win but until we know the team a first goalscorer bet is out.

I really hope we don't rest too many players tonight, we cant take this game lightly. Look what happened last season against Blackburn. This is a cup I would really love to win this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Off for a few pints up at Highbury corner pre match and then in to the ground. I reckon the atmosphere will be rocking tonight.

COYG!

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I really hope we don't rest too many players tonight, we cant take this game lightly. Look what happened last season against Blackburn. This is a cup I would really love to win this season.

Balls to that, we're top of the table and need to concentrate on keeping our best players fit. We're made of sterner stuff these days and should steam roll these guys regardless of who we rest.

Pudders wrote: »
    Off for a few pints up at Highbury corner pre match and then in to the ground. I reckon the atmosphere will be rocking tonight.

COYG!

Jammy pig ;) Have a good one sir :)

Balls to that, we're top of the table and need to concentrate on keeping our best players fit. We're made of sterner stuff these days and should steam roll these guys regardless of who we rest.

Like we should of steam rolled Birmingham in the League Cup final that year, going to the game wearing tracksuits was totally the wrong attitude to have as would resting most of our first team players for tonight. A defeat tonight could have a catastrophic consequence on our league form just like that final v Birmingham did. Im expecting us to put out a strong team tonight and so we should. This cup is a huge chance for some silverware for us this season, thats what we strive for as fans to see the club win trophies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So not that Mata is moving to United hes a better player than Ozil, Moments like this make me realise I know nothing about football :(

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Like we should of steam rolled Birmingham in the League Cup final that year, going to the game wearing tracksuits was totally the wrong attitude to have as would resting most of our first team players for tonight. A defeat tonight could have a catastrophic consequence on our league form just like that final v Birmingham did. Im expecting us to put out a strong team tonight and so we should. This cup is a huge chance for some silverware for us this season, thats what we strive for as fans to see the club win trophies.

When was the last time a bad result impacted our league form? We've had a few bad results this season yet each time the team has got on with it without any fuss.

I'd love to win the FA cup too, but when you look at our upcoming fixtures it would be madness not to rest a few key players tonight just because we had a bad run of results 3 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

So Everton got traore from Monaco, I don't know much about him but he could have possibly been a decent loan signing for us. I'll be surprised if anyone joins over the next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

So Everton got traore from Monaco, I don't know much about him but he could have possibly been a decent loan signing for us. I'll be surprised if anyone joins over the next week

I don't know how you reconcile not knowing much about him and then saying he could possibly have been a decent loan signing?

Fabianski; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere; Gnabry, Ozil, Podolski; Bendtner. #AFC

Ox at CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Fabianski; Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere; Gnabry, Ozil, Podolski; Bendtner. #AFC

Ox at CM
    Surprised mert and Kos starting, with Southampton only around the corner.

Delighted with that team good spine to it. COYG!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Really like that team and glad to see Zelalem on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

BT Sport HD1 get in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Are we playing 4-4-2? Or is Gnabry in the middle?

Is verm injured?

Are we playing 4-4-2? Or is Gnabry in the middle?
    Woj
    Back 4
    Ox Wilshere
    Gnabry Ozil Podolski
    Bendy

I would have thought

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement