Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Don't think any of them will expect Ozil money. They know they can't get that.

Santi could!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Nice visual representation of the squad here:

It's missing TGSEL!

Raf32 wrote: »
    Arsenal shareholder, Alisher Usmanov has sold his share in Facebook for £337m - making a "tenfold profit" in the process.
    Cashing in on his investment, very smart businessman, wonder will he give up on us and eventually sell? Stan trying to appease fans now with Ozil and maybe one more in january.

Only speculating but i would predict that he will stay on given that he seems a huge huge football fan though the scenario you described is also a possibility if the Arsenal board continue to freeze him out and treat him like they are treating him. He will either make a run for power or divest and wash his hands of us.

David Dein is a crucial fulcrum in all of this as he is the chairman of Red Holdings (Usmanov and Moshiri's holding company). He will do his utmost to keep the lads investment intact and given that Arsenal are in a good position financially off the field and even now perhaps competitively on the field, there is a possibility that he will stay and watch his share price grow.

I wouldn't like to see him get too much power ala Abramovich or the likes of Vincent Tan at Cardiff and the Crazy Egyptian at Hull, but i think he could be a very very useful ally in terms of expertise he could bring. His input and stature deserves more respect from the Arsenal board and in particular i would welcome David Dein back to the fold. The board needs more diversity and less groupthink. Singing from the same hymn sheet is all very well and good but you need a broader range of ideas at the table.

I love the fact that Arsenal pay for themselves and its a great week to be a Gooner with Ozil arriving at the club. This has came by the funds that Arsenal have earned which makes it all the sweeter. Ozil himself deserves great credit for having the courage and vision to take the risk when he could have won instant trophies and earned lots more money elsewhere. It shows he is a grounded young man that likes a challenge amongst other things.

That all said, the board need to loosen the shackles a bit more. We definitely need more football men involved with recruitment. Gazidis might be well got with the likes of Coca-Cola but when it comes to buying Suarez we need a man can relate to him more.

Arsene Wenger has too much to do...he needs a man who he trusts and who he selects personally that can come in and help him with this end of things but he does also need to give this person (Vieira?, Bergkamp?, perhaps even promote Grimandi?) an extra length of cat gut to reel the big fish in. No more of this digging in for the sake of an extra 2m, etc

Only speculating but i would predict that he will stay on given that he seems a huge huge football fan though the scenario you described is also a possibility if the Arsenal board continue to freeze him out and treat him like they are treating him. He will either make a run for power or divest and wash his hands of us.

David Dein is a crucial fulcrum in all of this as he is the chairman of Red Holdings (Usmanov and Moshiri's holding company). He will do his utmost to keep the lads investment intact and given that Arsenal are in a good position financially off the field and even now perhaps competitively on the field, there is a possibility that he will stay and watch his share price grow.

I wouldn't like to see him get too much power ala Abramovich or the likes of Vincent Tan at Cardiff and the Crazy Egyptian at Hull, but i think he could be a very very useful ally in terms of expertise he could bring. His input and stature deserves more respect from the Arsenal board and in particular i would welcome David Dein back to the fold. The board needs more diversity and less groupthink. Singing from the same hymn sheet is all very well and good but you need a broader range of ideas at the table.

I love the fact that Arsenal pay for themselves and its a great week to be a Gooner with Ozil arriving at the club. This has came by the funds that Arsenal have earned which makes it all the sweeter. Ozil himself deserves great credit for having the courage and vision to take the risk when he could have won instant trophies and earned lots more money elsewhere. It shows he is a grounded young man that likes a challenge amongst other things.

That all said, the board need to loosen the shackles a bit more. We definitely need more football men involved with recruitment. Gazidis might be well got with the likes of Coca-Cola but when it comes to buying Suarez we need a man can relate to him more.

Arsene Wenger has too much to do...he needs a man who he trusts and who he selects personally that can come in and help him with this end of things but he does also need to give this person (Vieira?, Bergkamp?, perhaps even promote Grimandi?) an extra length of cat gut to reel the big fish in. No more of this digging in for the sake of an extra 2m, etc

Usmanov is a convicted criminal who made his money because of his connections to Putin and Uzbek mafia (famous for heroin production). Under no circumstances should he be let have any input into the running of the club!

No but Id watch Ireland play in Tiddlywinks. Heading to the game and excited by it.

Theres another thread for that though.

I think all the young lads will be stuck with carling cup and maybe some fa cup games this year. If we are up challenging then wont be using them and we are pretty well stocked in midfield especially.

I do feel bad for Frimpong. I say someonce calling him benchwarmer on twitter the other day . His response "No shame in sitting on the bench for a great club like arsenal, you should try it sometime".

Clearly loves the club I just dont think hes up to the standard needed

To be fair to the chap though he was a raw talent to begin with but the 3 bad knee injuries really really f*cked him up. Still young and interestingly enough Wenger has kept him around so he must see something in him. Fulham were dying to sign him for one.....Hopefully this league cup campaign can kick start something for him. I for one am not giving up on him just yet :)

If he gets a run in the team then like Aaron Ramsey, it could change everything.

Usmanov is a convicted criminal who made his money because of his connections to Putin and Uzbek mafia (famous for heroin production). Under no circumstances should he be let have any input into the running of the club!

Fair enough but he did make one good proposal with the rights issue and that the Arsenal shareholders should be dipping their hands into some of their very deep pockets to raise transfer funds. I dont see any problem with that. Its like owning a car, you pay to maintain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

In all honesty I couldn't care less, show me a big time business man who isn't corrupt be easier to find an honest politician; ) plus a lot of the things said against him are alleged; )

Once the club is ran well and performs on the pitch is my main concern.

Fair enough but he did make one good proposal with the rights issue and that the Arsenal shareholders should be dipping their hands into some of their very deep pockets to raise transfer funds. I dont see any problem with that. Its like owning a car, you pay to maintain it.

The only reason Usmanov is a shareholder in the club is that, like Ambramovich did with Chelsea, he wants to use the club to soften his international image. He's making statements like this so naive people like yourself read those articles and think 'he can't be too bad if he saying xyz".

Before he had any dealings with Arsenal the only thing you heard about Usmanov in the western media was the latest act of racketeering or bribery he was alleged to have committed. Now all that **** is swept under the carpet because of a) the headlines his Arsenal dealings generate and b) the army of defamation lawyers he employs to suppress any kind of investigative journalism into his dealings.

Under absolutely no circumstances should he be let near the club! He goes against every single principle the club stands for!

In all honesty I couldn't care less, show me a big time business man who isn't corrupt be easier to find an honest politician; ) plus a lot of the things said against him are alleged; )

You don't get it do you? He doesn't give a **** about the club, he's just using it to achieve his own goals. what happens when he attains those goals? What happens if he finds a better way to raise his profile? What if he just decides he's had enough of the club and let us go to the wall?

Honestly... with those kind of statements, you haven't a ****ing clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Maybe its common knowledge so pardon my ignorance, but how do you know so much about Usmanov's private dealings?

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Maybe its common knowledge so pardon my ignorance, but how do you know so much about Usmanov's private dealings?

Because I googled his name once when I first heard he'd bought shares. Now every single search result is about his Arsenal dealings, but back then... maybe try add in the word 'crimes' and you'll get an idea.

His lawyers seem to have been effective. I can't find anymore any of the damning articles I read about him at the time.

Anyway, one example I do remember of the top of my head... he closed down an entire hosting service before because of some content they hosted that detailed his alleged racketeering. You don't do that kind of thing unless you ahve something to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Because I googled his name once when I first heard he'd bought shares. Now every single search result is about his Arsenal dealings, but back then... maybe try add in the word 'crimes' and you'll get an idea.

His lawyers seem to have been effective. I can't find anymore any of the damning articles I read about him at the time.

Anyway, one example I do remember of the top of my head... he closed down an entire hosting service before because of some content they hosted that detailed his alleged racketeering. You don't do that kind of thing unless you ahve something to hide.

christ lad be careful, you'll get boards shut down;)

You don't get it do you? He doesn't give a **** about the club, he's just using it to achieve his own goals. what happens when he attains those goals? What happens if he finds a better way to raise his profile? What if he just decides he's had enough of the club and let us go to the wall?

Honestly... with those kind of statements, you haven't a ****ing clue!

Haha untwist your knickers there darling.

If you read my post you would have realised I don't care about the people who own the clubs private lives as long as the club is run the correct way. Which is what yo you seem to have an issue with. Plus all your doing your doing is speculating none of us know for sure if he really cares about the club or not.

Your talking nonsense. Arsenal being successful and being run right is my main concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Santi could!

No, he couldn't. Santi is a fantastic player, but Ozil is a level above.

The only reason Usmanov is a shareholder in the club is that, like Ambramovich did with Chelsea, he wants to use the club to soften his international image. He's making statements like this so naive people like yourself read those articles and think 'he can't be too bad if he saying xyz".

Before he had any dealings with Arsenal the only thing you heard about Usmanov in the western media was the latest act of racketeering or bribery he was alleged to have committed. Now all that **** is swept under the carpet because of a) the headlines his Arsenal dealings generate and b) the army of defamation lawyers he employs to suppress any kind of investigative journalism into his dealings.

Under absolutely no circumstances should he be let near the club! He goes against every single principle the club stands for!

Well look tbf you do make good points and no one of his reputation should be involved in Arsenal. I would agree that i felt on other occasions its not his place to be naming who Arsenal should sign like he did when he stated 'we should sign Rooney' during the summer.

But on the rights issue, i felt there could be something in that idea. While Usmanov himself mightnt be not ideal someone else could be that might not necessarily agree with the boards transfer policies.

I think the Arsenal board need to be more open to new ideas instead of this closed book. Kroenke's methods wont exactly guaranteee long term sustainability either if the club continue to be stripped of its assets and no reinivestment. Ozil being the exception, the club now needs to keep the promise they undoubtedly made to him that we will be competing for trophies. If they dont and go back to their selling of players then that will do as much damage to the club as any crazy owner could

No, he couldn't. Santi is a fantastic player, but Ozil is a level above.

Well he deserves more than 70k a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

70k + £1

Yeah, that's true. But that's not what we were talking about.

christ lad be careful, you'll get boards shut down;)

Fair point :pac: Though he can't shut down boards over reporting facts:
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2007/sep/21/digitalmedia.politicsandthemedia

• Advertisement

To be fair to untitled user, for every Chelsea there is also an Anzhi so i could see his concerns certainly if Usmanov was to obtain too much power. He should be kept at arms length. I'd like Dein back but im not so sure id like him back under the banner of some oligarch

It would seem Dein knows Usmanov through Moshiri who is London based.

I think the Arsenal board need to be more open to new ideas instead of this closed book. Kroenke's methods wont exactly guaranteee long term sustainability either if the club continue to be stripped of its assets and no reinivestment. Ozil being the exception, the club now needs to keep the promise they undoubtedly made to him that we will be competing for trophies. If they dont and go back to their selling of players then that will do as much damage to the club as any crazy owner could

Again, you're being naive here. The reason Arsenal were forced into being a selling club temporarily is down to two things:
    1. The credit crisis and having to take a short term high interest loan to finance the development of the Highbury apartments.
    2. Having locked ourselves into long term deals pretty much the year before commercial revenues started exploding (and with it players wages).
    Those shackles have come off now... that loan is paid off and this season should see our commercial revenues pretty much explode on the back of the Emirates renegotiation.

Also, you missed something obvious there: a rights issue underwritten by Usmanov would have seen his shareholding in the club increase and have forced them to grant him a seat on the board. Again, it's another example of his ulterior motives.

I would have my criticisms of the current regime at Arsenal but when you look at the likes of Anzhi or even to a certain degree, Real Madrid and their bizarre transfer policy it puts things into perspective. We could be worse. We could be better of course but id rather stay the same then morph into those aforementioned clubs

Found the blog post I was looking for... from a former UK Ambassador to Uzbekistan. http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2007/09/alisher_usmanov/

To be fair to untitled user, for every Chelsea there is also an Anzhi so i could see his concerns certainly if Usmanov was to obtain too much power. He should be kept at arms length. I'd like Dein back but im not so sure id like him back under the banner of some oligarch

It would seem Dein knows Usmanov through Moshiri who is London based.

I wasn't calling for him to run the club either every single new investor should be treated with caution. I've read all about Usnanov and his past aswell, a lot of it is speculative. But regardless all we can do is speculate on what his motives for investing in the club none of us know for sure.

My main point was I don't care who runs the club as long as it is run correctly regardless of that persons past or private lives generally speaking would be of no concern for me.

Again, you're being naive here. The reason Arsenal were forced into being a selling club temporarily is down to two things:
    1. The credit crisis and having to take a short term high interest loan to finance the development of the Highbury apartments.
    2. Having locked ourselves into long term deals pretty much the year before commercial revenues started exploding (and with it players wages).
    Those shackles have come off now... that loan is paid off and this season should see our commercial revenues pretty much explode on the back of the Emirates renegotiation.

Also, you missed something obvious there: a rights issue underwritten by Usmanov would have seen his shareholding in the club increase and have forced them to grant him a seat on the board. Again, it's another example of his ulterior motives.

Ozil aside though, i felt Wenger and the board handled the summer fairly badly. They handled it no different to years when we had no money.

Explosive revenue streams aside, will it still be enough to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City in the transfer market?

Look perhaps your right about Usmanov, but i still think if Arsenal have to raise further transfer funds that they might have to think outside the box a bit at board level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ozil aside though, i felt Wenger and the board handled the summer fairly badly. They handled it no different to years when we had no money.

Explosive revenue streams aside, will it still be enough to go toe to toe with the likes of Man City in the transfer market?

Look perhaps your right about Usmanov, but i still think if Arsenal have to raise further transfer funds that they might have to think outside the box a bit at board level.

On the first bit... it was the first window in over a decade that we had the financial security to be able to buy at the top end of the market. It was always going to be difficult, especially as the press keep falsely representing us as a club in decline.

Also, don't underestimate the effort of clearing out the wage bill took, a lot of man hours would have been invested in that to try and recoup some losses. We hopefully wont have to do an exercise like that again for a long time.

On the second bit... yes and no. I agree that we could do with some fresh heads in there, but thinking outside the box usually involves high levels of risk. Our board is clearly risk averse, but, by and large, it's served us well to date. Remember we are pretty much the only club in Europe (with the possible exception of United, although they get much more favorable concessions from their local council than we do from what I can tell) to be as competitive as we are without external backing. Even Bayern, the champion of financial fair play supposedly, are only where they are because they have the backing (and occasional digout) from German big industry.

Jury's out yet, because we haven't won anything obviously, but the club does seem to be moving in the right direction, so I'd be an advocate of the risk averse, patient approach. I understand why people would disagree with me, long periods without trophies for a club of our stature are hard to stomach, but if we had taken a gamble and failed in the same period... we weren't that far off hitting the wall like Leeds did at one point (supposedly Di Maria was supposed to sign for us before he went to Real, paperwork all done, but the money never appeared in the account. That was the same period we took out the short term loan).

At the very least, the last three or four windows have shown we're no longer reliant on having to gamble on youth to develop the first team. It might be a slower pace than people would like but at least it's in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Blah ha ha ha ha.

Jesus Christ though. Wenger with those resources should be awesome.

Continue as per usual adding cheap youth players to the squad like Ramsey Wilshire, and so on, but then every window or two sign an Ozil or a Suarez.

As much as I hope that is true, big transfers like that generally don't happen mid season.

Suarez is very doable in fairness, not cup tied in Europe and wenger willing to spend big on him. we just need to pull away from them before january and show that we arent direct rivals and that they havent a hope in getting fourth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »

Swear I've watched every Ozil video on YT at this point :pac:

Rival fans are underestimating this transfer methinks, Madrid fans however; not best pleased.

Holy sh1t.

I know it's been said before but Giroud must be delighted with this.

He'd be a smart move for ff now as our only striker.

Would we have got ozill if we had of got Suarez?

Would we have got ozill if we had of got Suarez?

i think so yes.

Sanogo got a hat-trick of assists for France U21s against Kazakhstan U21s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You have a good player there if he becomes anything like he did for me in FM

kryogen wrote: »
    You have a good player there if he becomes anything like he did for me in FM

haha agreed, loads of potential barring he stays away from injuries, give him a run out in the cups and will be settled for next season to go with Giroud and one more striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

To be fair to the chap though he was a raw talent to begin with but the 3 bad knee injuries really really f*cked him up. Still young and interestingly enough Wenger has kept him around so he must see something in him. Fulham were dying to sign him for one.....Hopefully this league cup campaign can kick start something for him. I for one am not giving up on him just yet :)

If he gets a run in the team then like Aaron Ramsey, it could change everything.
    Id love to see it. I love players who have a genuine love for the club do well.

And I agree he has had a rough time not sure if he will get enough game time. Hopefully a good carling cup run could do it for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Delighted to hear that. Assists are always something I look out for in young players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

gosplan wrote: »
    Holy sh1t.

After watching that video, I can see Ronaldo's scoring stats taking a dip this season.

Some of Ozil's play is just sick!

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

So which striker is gonna be the final piece of the jigsaw Suarez, Benzema, El Shaarawy, could Wenger temp Ibrahimović to finish his career in England.

Maybe Mandzukic if Lewandowski goes to Byern?

Convincing the first world class player to join was always going to be the hardest part and Wenger jumped that hurdle in style with Ozil so exciting times ahead for the gunners whoever we target next :D

• Advertisement

I'd really like to see Ibra for a year or two...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I'd really like to see Ibra for a year or two...

His astronomical wages could be a problem though :)

El Shaarawy looks more like a Wenger signing along with the fact Milan finances and not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

My money's is on benzema with Suarez going to Madrid

Would really enjoy a bit of Ibra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

After watching that video, I can see Ronaldo's scoring stats taking a dip this season.

Some of Ozil's play is just sick!

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Some of the passes with the outside of this foot were amazing!

Is Ozil better at picking out a pass then Fabragas is?

jonny666 wrote: »
    Some of the passes with the outside of this foot were amazing!

Is Ozil better at picking out a pass then Fabragas is?

His assist and key passes stats would say yes.

I'd say he's definitely of at least the same class anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Does anyone know how long Flamini signed for. When it was announced i thought it was for 2 years but i read last Sundays programme and it said he joined on a short term deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

any fear among arsenal fans that Ozil might move on in 2 years? He could be the new Fabreagas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

wawaman wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long Flamini signed for. When it was announced i thought it was for 2 years but i read last Sundays programme and it said he joined on a short term deal.

2 years with an option for a 3rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

gosplan wrote: »
    Holy sh1t.

He'd be a smart move for ff now as our only striker.

He's already gone up 0.2 million since Ozil was bought. Get him quick before he increases any more.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement