Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jonny666 wrote: »
    Some of the passes with the outside of this foot were amazing!

Is Ozil better at picking out a pass then Fabragas is?

Hard to say, Cesc posted this the other day, it's amazing to think that he is still top of the assist chart since 2007 given how long he is gone. I hope Özil can match those sort of stats.

BTaKt7MCQAMwrPE.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

G1032 wrote: »
    He's already gone up 0.2 million since Ozil was bought. Get him quick before he increases any more.....

I've had him in since the beginning of the season, along with Santi and Walcott. Wondering whether to swap one of the midfielders for Ozil ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I've Chesney Walcott and giroud, so I'll ship out Chesney.

Ozil!

Still buzzing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I've got Kos, Ramsey and Giroud. Hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Ramsey, Cazorla and Giroud. Giroud has served me very well already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

greendom wrote: »
    I've had him in since the beginning of the season, along with Santi and Walcott. Wondering whether to swap one of the midfielders for Ozil ?

Same here.
    Giroud definitely stayes, my concern is that with midfiled becoming really strong, goal/assists/ff points will be split between players.
    Unless we start scoring 4 goals in each game! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭golfball37

I hope ye all relaise that Ozil's stats were accumulated in a jumped up version of the SPL where 70% of the teams don't even try against Real & Barcelona. I'm just saying not to get too excited unless you have seen him play recently and play well.

Also on his assists- he was passing to Ronaldo,Higuain and Benzema. The likliehood of Giroud or Walcott finishing off these chances are a lot slimmer, lets be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm dropping Kos to get Özil into the team, it'll be him, Ramsey and Giroud. I would like to keep Kos but Ramsey is such a good price, if he stops getting first team football I'll swap Ram for Kos

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

golfball37 wrote: »
    I hope ye all relaise that Ozil's stats were accumulated in a jumped up version of the SPL where 70% of the teams don't even try against Real & Barcelona. I'm just saying not to get too excited unless you have seen him play recently and play well.

Also on his assists- he was passing to Ronaldo,Higuain and Benzema. The likliehood of Giroud or Walcott finishing off these chances are a lot slimmer, lets be honest.

That can be argued, but he also was doing it with Werder Bremen with nobody too prolific , and still managed a minimum 20 assists a season for two years.

The first para is debatable on the relative standards of the 2 leagues. Can see some value in the 2nd one to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

And what about his international record?

Plus, Walcott for one is well able to finish when given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The bolded bit is nonsense. The likes of Sevilla, Malaga, Athletico, Valencia and Sociedad etc are all (or have all been recently) as good as most premiership sides. The lower reaches of the EPL are as bad as La Liga, it's just that the top La Liga sides are much stronger than the top EPL sides, so they tend to really hammer them. And as has been mentioned, he got loads of assists in Germany too, and for the national side, and a huge number of assists in the Champions League.

Not to mention the fact that of all the players in La Liga (including Messi, Fabregas, Iniesta, Xavi, Di Maria, Modric, Ronaldo, etc.) he gets the most assists. So even if they were somehow less valid assists, he got more of them than any of the other world class players in the league.

Edit: Never mind, just realised I'm responding to just another jealous spud on a wind up. Oops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So with out midfield the way it is can we just forget about signing Cesc back for a long time ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So with out midfield the way it is can we just forget about signing Cesc back for a long time ?

I don't think that was going to happen anyway tbh. He seems pretty content at Barca and I don't think they want to sell him. I think he'll be starting a lot more games for them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

slingerz wrote: »
    any fear among arsenal fans that Ozil might move on in 2 years? He could be the new Fabreagas

The lad hasn't played one game for us yet and you're already speculating about him leaving? FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Don't worry, we won't get too excited about signing a world-class player.

Stats are all meaningless. Here is one for you.

Ozil has 47 international caps for Germany. He cost £44m.

Paulinho, Chadli, Lamela and Soldado have 46 caps in total. They cost £77.2m.

All prices courtesy of transfermarkt.co.uk.

now I am not going to make anything of that statistic but it goes to show that you can use statistics, especially in a game such as football, to show anything. The thing is, it will have to be shown on the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Galvasean wrote: »
    The lad hasn't played one game for us yet and you're already speculating about him leaving? FFS!

given the previous experience with Cesc, Nasri, VP, etc. it has to be noted that the delirium of the signing can be offset by the disappointment of the departure

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

given the previous experience with Cesc, Nasri, VP, etc. it has to be noted that the delirium of the signing can be offset by the disappointment of the departure

Huh? I don't recall any delirium about signing any of those players considering they were nobodies when they came to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I'm just saying not to get too excited unless you have seen him play recently and play well.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Huh? I don't recall any delirium about signing any of those players considering they were nobodies when they came to Arsenal.

there was plenty of wailing when they wanted to leave though

• Advertisement

It's called being a football fan. Look at what's going over in Madrid with the departure of Ozil. Unfortunately, we are a lot more used to it than they are.

Hence me not denying that in my post. It's that pretend point you made up about the delirium surrounding their signings I was addressing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

... and yet, Cesc's productivity has gone down since moving to the Spanish SPL to play with Messi and co...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Sick to my TITS of the trolling and jealousy in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

FearDark wrote: »

Its the consequence of supporting a model club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

FearDark wrote: »

I personally fcukin love it and we may get used to it lad, everyone hates winners :D

Sure beats the in house pessimism we had to put up with for so long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I personally fcukin love it and we may get used to it lad, everyone hates winners :D

Sure beats the in house pessimism we had to put up with for so long!

Yep, loving the hate and jealousy of the best player ever to exist.

Bentdner :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Been a long time since we had proper haters.

Nice to be a threat again.

Keep em coming.

Godge wrote: »
    Don't worry, we won't get too excited about signing a world-class player.

Stats are all meaningless. Here is one for you.

Ozil has 47 international caps for Germany. He cost £44m.

Paulinho, Chadli, Lamela and Soldado have 46 caps in total. They cost £77.2m.

All prices courtesy of transfermarkt.co.uk.

now I am not going to make anything of that statistic but it goes to show that you can use statistics, especially in a game such as football, to show anything. The thing is, it will have to be shown on the park.

I bet if you sent Ozil out against the 4 of them he wouldn't fare too well though. I think the key stat here [which you may have missed] is that your comparing the cost of 4 players with one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I bet if you sent Ozil out against the 4 of them he wouldn't fare too well though. I think the key stat here [which you may have missed] is that your comparing the cost of 4 players with one.:)
    He's also comparing the appearances stat too. How many of the four players you mentioned would make an international appearance for Germany?

... and yet, Cesc's productivity has gone down since moving to the Spanish SPL to play with Messi and co...

Yeah- He has 20 goals in 60 games for Barcelona. he scored 30 for Arsenal in 230.

Sounds like a man who has gone downhill rapidly all right.

Yeah- He has 20 goals in 60 games for Barcelona. he scored 30 for Arsenal in 230.

:rolleyes:

Quazzie wrote: »
    He's also comparing the appearances stat too. How many of the four players you mentioned would make an international appearance for Germany?

They would all be capped for Germany at the very least I'd imagine. Lewis Holtby at Spurs has a few caps and he's behind those 4 in the pecking order at Tottenham. Podolski has over 100 caps shur.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Are you still here? Someone give me a driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Bendtner changed from #52 to #23, maybe he is serious and knows the negative stigma he got for picking #52.

• Advertisement

Incidentally for anyone interested (and not for the willfully ignorant/trolling, i.e. golfball), in Fabregas's last 105 appearances for Arsenal, his goal/assist rate was 0.76 per game. In his 101 appearances to date for Barca, it has dropped to 0.65 per game. Doesn't look like it's necessarily a whole lot easier to rack up the stats with one of the big two in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

They would all be capped for Germany at the very least I'd imagine. Lewis Holtby at Spurs has a few caps and he's behind those 4 in the pecking order at Tottenham. Podolski has over 100 caps shur.

It must be hard constantly living in Arsenal's shadow is it? The sweet aroma of bitterness off you is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Raf32 wrote: »
    Bendtner changed from #52 to #23, maybe he is serious and knows the negative stigma he got for picking #52.

Don't think there will be too much of a rush down at the store to get number 23 on the back of the shirts.

Obviously just chose it so that he could be listed at the top of the strikers page on Arsenal.com...

It must be hard constantly living in Arsenal's shadow is it? The sweet aroma of bitterness off you is amazing.

It's certanly easier than reducing rational fact based debate down to petty oneupmanship.

All squatters cast a shadow, no issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The 23 shirt wasn't exactly good luck for the last lad either.

Well you see we have signed Ozil, Jack, Cazorla and Walcott for less than Levy signed them four for, so yeah my money would be on our four cheers ;)

Incidentally for anyone interested (and not for the willfully ignorant/trolling, i.e. golfball), in Fabregas's last 105 appearances for Arsenal, his goal/assist rate was 0.76 per game. In his 101 appearances to date for Barca, it has dropped to 0.65 per game. Doesn't look like it's necessarily a whole lot easier to rack up the stats with one of the big two in Spain.

Why pick his last 105 appearances? He has a goal ratio of 1 in 3 in Spain ffs. A joke league if you play for Real or Barca. Still the proof of the pudding is in the eating, if Ozil is as good as he was in 2010-2012 period for ye then I'll be eating humble pie without having to be told.

I watch a lot of Soccer and he wasn't as good last year as he was previously. I hope for ye're sakes he gets it back.

And he has been deployed in a much more advanced role in Spain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Why pick his last 105 appearances? He has a goal ratio of 1 in 3 in Spain ffs. A joke league if you play for Real or Barca. Still the proof of the pudding is in the eating, if Ozil is as good as he was in 2010-2012 period for ye then I'll be eating humble pie without having to be told.

I watch a lot of Soccer and he wasn't as good last year as he was previously. I hope for ye're sakes he gets it back.
    Yawn. Nobody cares, go away. Cheers.

You've ignored too many valid points made by other posters to not be trolling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Do not feed the trolls.

It's easy.

Another one to add to the ignore list is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cartman_tears.gif

I chose his last 105 Arsenal appearances because they are a similar sample in terms of size, age and position. Anyone with half a brain knows that players aren't going to be as productive during their formative teenage years as they will be when they get closer to their peak.

You producing stats that comprise his entire career from 16-24 compared against ages 25-26 as evidence that he's more prolific now (ergo, it's easy for players of his type in Spain) shows that you're either a) on the wind-up, b) being willfully ignorant or c) an idiot.

... and the funny part is I might have agreed with you if you hadn't made the point in such a ham-fisted way.

I chose his last 105 Arsenal appearances because they are a similar sample in terms of size, age and position. Anyone with half a brain knows that players aren't going to be as productive during their formative teenage years as they will be when they get closer to their peak.

You producing stats that comprise his entire career from 16-24 compared against ages 25-26 as evidence that he's more prolific now (ergo, it's easy for players of his type in Spain) shows that you're either a) on the wind-up, b) being willfully ignorant or c) an idiot.

Pele, Michael Owen hell even Francis jeffers had stats that were better as teenagers rather than in their peak so your a,b,c doesn't always necessarily apply. [well maybe c]

Thats before we even get into the fact Cesc was the main man for Arsenal whereas he's only really the 4th cog of the midfield/attacking wheel at FCB. In short his stats should be better. You can't ignore that

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement