Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Raf32 wrote: »
    1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Think we're all having a breaher after the intensity of the end of the transfer window the NLD and then the reaction to both.

Now I'm just holding my breath hoping all our internationals come back safe and sound,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

greendom wrote: »
    Think we're all having a breaher after the intensity of the end of the transfer window the NLD and then the reaction to both.

Now I'm just holding my breath hoping all our internationals come back safe and sound,

ya same hope everyone is ok and maybe TV5 is ready to go. after watching that muck last night i miss the Arsenal terribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Raf32 wrote: »
    1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

That's how you know we have little to complain about :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I hate international breaks, especially when Ireland are so damn hard to watch I may as well be watching paint dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Imagine what Arsenal would do to Ireland :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stupid international break footballs only back were left waiting again.

Just reading the MirrorSport there shocking I think when everytime any pundit mentions Arsenal they bang on about us getting in better CB's this despite the fact we had the second best defence in the league last season, and constantly bang on about Merts, we must be some lucky bastards to have our defence so tight over the coarse of a full season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Stupid international break footballs only back were left waiting again.

Just reading the MirrorSport there shocking I think when everytime any pundit mentions Arsenal they bang on about us getting in better CB's this despite the fact we had the second best defence in the league last season, and constantly bang on about Merts, we must be some lucky bastards to have our defence so tight over the coarse of a full season.

They need another stick to beat us with now that we've spent money. Haters gonna hate.

and fans appreciate :D

Sergio wrote: »
    It might be naive of me think otherwise but i genuinely think we could challenge for the title this season. If we manage to get all our players back from injury and tighten up at the back then we have a chance. I have a feeling Giroud could score 20 plus goals this season with Ozil creating plenty of scoring chances.

I've been thinking the same, think the league will be very tight this season, and we could certainly challenge haven't been overly impressed with any team I've seen so far this season. We could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th imo.

I really hope we finish above Chelsea have a 80 euro bet with one the lads from work can't have him winning money off me two years in a row.

Well one thing I don't City, Chelsea, United going on a massive run of wins alot the league is alot stronger again this year i think in the top half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ineresting, Marica is a free agent so we could still sign him. Not a World beater but he has 22 goals in 60 odd games for Romania so he would be decent back up for Giroud....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8911741/ciprian-marica-could-be-set-for-move-to-england-according-to-reports-in-romania

Scored last night for Romania too

greendom wrote: »
    Ineresting, Marica is a free agent so we could still sign him. Not a World beater but he has 22 goals in 60 odd games for Romania so he would be decent back up for Giroud....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/8911741/ciprian-marica-could-be-set-for-move-to-england-according-to-reports-in-romania

Anyone know anything about him?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would rather have kept Chamakh, but as that's not an option, I'd rather play Bendtner or Sanogo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Joel Campbell scored a fine goal against USA, surely recalling him is an option? I think he finally has his work permit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Anyone know what wages Ozil is gonna be on for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Joel Campbell scored a fine goal against USA, surely recalling him is an option? I think he finally has his work permit?

Bingo

We should do that

I too believe we can WIN the league this year. City aren't as strong as I thought, United have gone backwards and Chelsea seem to be an unknown quantity so far. I think it will be between ourselves and Chelsea for the title with City not far behind at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Imagine what Arsenal would do to Ireland :/

it would be a bloodbath. really really bad. In fairness the irish team work hard, they just dont have the players. and lets not get into the tactics.

a spurs fan in the International Football RIP thread threw a couple of thinly veiled insults our way when he mentioned that some folks in this thread were looking fwd to the germany game so we could see Ozil in action and saying "real" fans would be watching ireland.

Bull****.

This ireland team are dreadful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    it would be a bloodbath. really really bad. In fairness the irish team work hard, they just dont have the players. and lets not get into the tactics.

a spurs fan in the International Football RIP thread threw a couple of thinly veiled insults our way when he mentioned that some folks in this thread were looking fwd to the germany game so we could see Ozil in action and saying "real" fans would be watching ireland.

Bull****.

I wouldnt mind too much but International Football is absolute rubber!

Haven't watched a full international game in years.

90% of it is pure ****e imo

It's an awful thing to say but I'm far more passionate about Arsenal than I am about Ireland for the last few years, I feel totally disconnected from the team, the manager, the players and most importantly the negative way we play. Thats why I love Arsenal, its like comparing night and day. I haven't missed an Arsenal game in a long long time but I preferred to play indoor soccer on Friday night rather than watch that Ireland v Sweden muck.

Italia 90', USA 94' and Korea/Japan 2002 were unbelievable for me and I don't even think a PL trophy for Arsenal could touch that in terms of the feeling I got from those tournaments, nowadays I could bearly name the full Irish team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

FearDark wrote: »
    It's an awful thing to say but I'm far more passionate about Arsenal than I am about Ireland for the last few years, I feel totally disconnected from the team, the manager, the players and most importantly the negative way we play. Thats why I love Arsenal, its like comparing night and day. I haven't missed an Arsenal game in a long long time but I preferred to play indoor soccer on Friday night rather than watch that Ireland v Sweden muck.

Italia 90', USA 94' and Korea/Japan 2002 were unbelievable for me and I don't even think a PL trophy for Arsenal could touch that in terms of the feeling I got from those tournaments, nowadays I could bearly name the full Irish team!

I'm not having a go here but it seems kinda sad that you aren't interested anymore simply because we're not doing as well. I understand people on here saying how much better it is watching arsenal, doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy the Ireland games. It's not great football, so I tend to have a few pints and just make it more of a social occasion. At the end of the day, Ireland matches are the few nights in the year that myself and my mates can actually unite in supporting a team, it can be quite refreshing.

I'm not having a go here but it seems kinda sad that you aren't interested anymore simply because we're not doing as well. I understand people on here saying how much better it is watching arsenal, doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy the Ireland games. It's not great football, so I tend to have a few pints and just make it more of a social occasion. At the end of the day, Ireland matches are the few nights in the year that myself and my mates can actually unite in supporting a team, it can be quite refreshing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not following Ireland as much due to the absolute dire football we play not because we are not successful. We made it to the last Euros and played some horrendous stuff, I just can't watch it. Sad or not that's how it is...for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

bad2dabone wrote: »

Bull****.

Does anyone here go in and read other clubs megathreads? I honestly struggle to make time to read this thread. It takes a special kind of person to spend so much time reading about their rivals in my opinion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He looks like a good player. Probably more of a wide option though for now which is why he's been sent on loan, or at least I hope it is. I'd like to see him given a chance.

• Advertisement

I'd be kinda the same I never used to miss an Ireland game ever, been to plenty of them was in Paris for the Henry incident and is still one of my best holidays.

Friday night I spent in a restaurant and only caught the last twenty minutes of the game in a pub in town, it's not that I don't care anymore I think it's because I've become so disillusioned with Trappatoni his tactics and style of play I've wanted him gone for years and it annoys me he is still there getting paid for that dross.

He has killed the passion in the Irish game for me, even the players don't seem to fight as much as they used to on the pitch. The Euros were horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I also used to be a MASSIVE Ireland fan. Wouldn't miss a game, not even a friendly. And Arsenal were very much second best.

I don't know what exactly has changed. It definitely isn't to do with lack of success as my affinity to Arsenal has never been stronger than over the last 8 trophyless years. I also don't think it's to do with the quality of the football being served up as it was hardly amazing during big Jack's time.

I think it goes back to Saipan (sorry for mentioning the war!) and the fact that international football isn't the pinnacle for top-class players anymore so if their team isn't competing for trophies then they aren't really interested. So we end up having to be grateful to them for showing up rather than them being excited to be there. Obviously we don't have any elite players at the moment but I imagine if say McCarthy makes the step up to a champions league team then we'll end up going through the same sort of thing.

tl; dr Players don't really care so why should I.

I see Gervinho taking a dig at Wenger this morning in the papers, find that perplexing. Said he didnt support him, but Arsene was probably the only one that did even though he was mediocre at best, lost a lot of time for the guy.

Ozil: "For the transfer fee I cannot do anything. I would even have joined Arsenal for free."
    Loving this guy already

I really would love to hear the phone call that took place between Wenger and Ozil.

Ozil talked about how a conversation with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger persuaded him to leave Santiago Bernabeu, saying:
    In some way, that conversation flicked a switch in me and made me realise what I had lost at Madrid – transparency, trust, respect.
    Arsene told me exactly how he saw me, how he wanted to use me, what he expected of me. I had no control over the transfer fee. I would have even joined Arsenal for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If he sticks around for long enough (hopefully he'll be here for 10 or so years at least) he will go down as a legend in my book. He's doing everything right thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's an awful thing to say but I'm far more passionate about Arsenal than I am about Ireland for the last few years.

Yeah the same, god watching that Irish team is just wrong, bad out of date football and god awful matches. It's hard to say it as you really want to see the team do well and we do have some very good players in the team just the way Trap has them laying would cure insomnia.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If he sticks around for long enough (hopefully he'll be here for 10 or so years at least) he will go down as a legend in my book. He's doing everything right thus far.

Depends if we win things and are getting champions league football year in and out. Plus if he and his family settles in London. And if he plays to best of his abilities then lets hope he stays for a very long time.

I hate watching them cause the way they play football, didn't even watch the games at the Euro's. It's out of date and not productive, we only got there cause we got a team even worse then us in the play offs. Lets not fool are ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Looper007 wrote: »
    I hate watching them cause the way they play football, didn't even watch the games at the Euro's. It's out of date and not productive, we only got there cause we got a team even worse then us in the play offs. Lets not fool are ourselves.

Each to their own but I couldn't not watch the games, despite being hugely dissappointed every time I do.

I wonder is people's allegiance to their club stronger. Would we still tune in if Arsenal had done a Leeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »

Jaysus your a negative fecker at the best of times and we (Arsenal) try play it the right way. I'd fcuking hate to share an Ireland thread with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Really like this photo, won best photo of the season, it's from the equaliser at the Man City game.
    eurosport wrote:
    Adrian Dennis's photograph above has been named by the Premier League as the 'Barclays Shot of the Season.'

000_DV1316383.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jester77 wrote: »
    Really like this photo, won best photo of the season, it's from the equaliser at the Man City game.

000_DV1316383.jpg

Who is the outfield player missing from the picture? Quiz question for ya.

Diaby??? Was probably too injured to join in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Ramsey, jenkinson ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Walcott.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Walcott.

Walcott is there near the top between Gibbs and Arteta. Face just cant be seen

Podolski?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Walcott is there near the top between Gibbs and Arteta. Face just cant be seen

Oh I thought we were playing a *where's wally* sort of thing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Its sagna he is the only one missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I can only see nine.
    I'm no good at these games!
    Poor Koscielny looks like his back is snapped in two.

Edit: there is only nine, duh.

Sagna?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wasn't Sagna out?

I say Jenks stayed back for the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think it's Ramsey. Here's the team for that game --

ARSENAL: Mannone 6, Jenkinson 7, Mertesacker 7, Koscielny 7, Gibbs 6, Diaby 6, Arteta 7, Gervinho 5, Cazorla 8, Ramsey 7, Podolski 7 - Subs - Walcott 6, Giroud 6, Coquelin N/A

Could be Jenkinson if Ramsey went off.

• Advertisement

Sagna does alright for himself off the pitch aswell, must be hard raking in the cash for playing football then having to go home to this everyday.

tumblr_mjt4b8aS2o1qfzwmwo1_500.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement