Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Arsenal went through last season with very little injury worries. A lot less than the average team.

Let's not become over-whelmed by an unfortunate series of injuries.

Vermaelen is back now, Arteta will be back very soon and Cazorla's injury will be belittled by the fact we have Ozil and Ramsey in the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it was ran in newspapers with quotes from their doctor/whoever
    i don't remember hunter having anything to do with it

even arshavin criticised the medical staff while at the club

The only thing I ever heard about was Hunter sneering at Arsenal on Newstalk one evening (obviously taking the Barca side in the story)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Our defence is ok 5 goals conceded but three were penos

We just need kos to stop having brainfarts

When you look at the players out injured IF we have everyone fit there is a decent enough squad there. Not as short as I thought

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Arsenal went through last season with very little injury worries. A lot less than the average team.

Let's not become over-whelmed by an unfortunate series of injuries.

Vermaelen is back now, Arteta will be back very soon and Cazorla's injury will be belittled by the fact we have Ozil and Ramsey in the ranks.

And the Mirror is reporting that Arteta could be back for WBA and Poldi for Napoli at the beginning of October. Great news if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

greendom wrote: »
    And the Mirror is reporting that Arteta could be back for WBA and Poldi for Napoli at the beginning of October. Great news if true.

Great news, will need these players when we come into the thick of the Champions League and domestic cups.
    We are lucky that we can still field a good first XI without either of these players (and Cazorla). Midfield is well stocked at the moment.
    The only player who is irreplaceable at the moment in Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

With a fully fit squad plus Diaby, Wenger would have some headache trying to pick a team. Especially in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Do people here think Diaby is still an option for us? I just want to see him get fit for a transfer Window so we can sell him. His injury record is insane and that's not going to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Bould needs to have a word with kos about those lunges in the box.

Most of the time its not as if its the last resort or the player has a great opportunity to score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i like Diaby as a player but he's too fragile for top level football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i like Diaby as a player but he's too fragile for top level football.

Yeah probably. He's still only 27 so msybe there's something there for him.

The important thing is that we have plenty of players without him.

• Advertisement

How many years was Rosicky out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Just watched the highlights from yesterday again and Walcott will get a bucket full of goals with a little composure and a bit of luck when it comes to goalkeepers not putting in Superman shows against us - Ozil was placing that ball on a sixpence time and again. How f**king stupid were Madrid to let him go :D

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Just watched the highlights from yesterday again and Walcott will get a bucket full of goals with a little composure and a bit of luck when it comes to goalkeepers not putting in Superman shows against us - Ozil was placing that ball on a sixpence time and again. How f**king stupid were Madrid to let him go :D

I said earlier in the thread he will hit 30 if he stays injury free

I was laughed at

I stand by my prediction

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do people here think Diaby is still an option for us? I just want to see him get fit for a transfer Window so we can sell him. His injury record is insane and that's not going to change.

I just hope he gets back playing football at some decent level

Feel sorry for the poor fcuker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I was laughed at

I stand by my prediction

He will if he concentrates. He seemed a bit casual yesterday and I don't think he's had a great start to the season. It's a lack of competition for his spot I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

jonny666 wrote: »
    He will if he concentrates. He seemed a bit casual yesterday and I don't think he's had a great start to the season. It's a lack of competition for his spot I think.

I would describe this as his biggest problem, he plays too casual always has and I think that keeps him from hitting the next level

I was laughed at

I stand by my prediction

I don't think he (Walcott) will come close to 30 but I can see the logic in what you're saying.

I just think it will around the same as last season.

I think as soon as Arteta is fully match fit he will be a nailed on starter. We've really missed his composure and control in the midfield anchor role.

Metersacker was missed yesterday as well. Defence looked pretty disorganised at times and we'll need him for Marseille

Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

Really should be looking at top of the table when those matches are over.

• Advertisement

I was laughed at

I stand by my prediction

League or total? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Very good game yesterday.
    I can't help feeling that last year we'd probably have dropped points on a game like this.
    Özil looked so relaxed in the game, as if he is been part of the team forever. You could see some glimpses of genius on how the ball moves around.
    I think that if Walcott finds a striker's killer instinct, the opposite defences will count week after week.
    Next thing to solve is the rather big number of injuries. This is becoming really annoying.
    And, on FF, Giroud was my captain this week. Happy days. I haven't chosen Özil, now with Santi's injury I will make the switch.

gosplan wrote: »
    Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

I hope Arsenal and Liverpool both have a decent run til that match, would make for a fun Saturday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

Yeah, really should be looking at around 14 points minimum there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Maire2009 wrote: »

I think so too... Walcott was unlucky yesterday. mixture of an off day and a few nice saves from our very own Westwood. But when Walcott wants to score, he will. May I present to the court exhibit A. last two goals?-

and this beauty

His composure on the ball and his finishing can be superb, it's just a case of which Walcott shows up... where's Wally if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

Swansea away would be the hiccup for me, just don't feel confident there. Should beat Liverpool at the Emirates, they play similar football to us these days.

But not as good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Apparently all of Arsenal, Napoli, Dortmund, and Marseille are currently top of their leagues.

Group of death indeed!

[edit] Never mind, Marseille aren't top. Group will be piss easy :P

Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

Interestingly enough apart from Palace, we had the other fixtures the back end of last season on our run to snatch 4th. We only dropped 2 points from them against Liverpool which was a game we could have won

I hope Arsenal and Liverpool both have a decent run til that match, would make for a fun Saturday evening.

I hope Arsenal have a decent run and Liverpool have a shocking run.

League or total? :pac:

Total

Might help our chances in getting Suarez in January also ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Might help our chances in getting Suarez in January also ;)

I wouldn't be keen on blowing 40m on Giroud's backup tbh :p:D

You're no fun, if it were up to you we'd it'd be Stoke and Palace in 2nd and 3rd. :pac:

You're no fun, if it were up to you we'd it'd be Stoke and Palace in 2nd and 3rd. :pac:

I think Arsenal fans deserve a season with minimal heart-ache!

Swansea away would be the hiccup for me, just don't feel confident there. Should beat Liverpool at the Emirates, they play similar football to us these days.

But not as good :pac:

They haven't got off to the best of starts and i cant help thinking they lost their focus after winning that league cup last year akin to Birmingham in 2011. To be honest we should fear no one.
    Throw caution to the wind by all accounts but i honestly believe we are good enough to get at least 16 out of those 18 points if not maximum. The crunch games will be Chelsea x 2, United x 2, and City x 2. They will be the real acid test that will show just how far we have come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

To me Walcott just doesn't look like a natural finisher, I suppose I mustn't have seen him enough.

To me Walcott just doesn't look like a natural finisher, I suppose I mustn't have seen him enough.

He's not IMO.

If he looks good at it, it's because he's put a huge amount of work into it over the last few years.

If you were to analyse Walcott's finishing before yesterday, it has been impeccable.

Yesterday, his finishing was not excellent but his shots were still decent.

On another day, he would have finished them. Westwood is one of the few 'keepers who doesn't come rushing off his line too; and that doesn't suit Theo who loves a nice chip or a fancy finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Next 6.

Stoke home
    Swans away
    West Brom away
    Norwich home
    Palace away
    Liverpool home

If the boss can just drill it into the lads to take 1 game at a time we can really be serious title contenders. We slipped up in a lot of games in the first half of the season that we expected to win so lets not get too ahead of ourselves, just take each game as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

when the team is fit i would play this, which will probably going to be around xmas time
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    Wilshere
    Cazorla----
    Giroud

Ramsey and Arteta double pivot is a joy to watch and our most effective combination. Link up play between the front four would be amazing, and then bring on ox and walcott for the last twenty minutes when teams defenders are gassed. flamini, rosicky, diaby and podli also viable options of the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    when the team is fit i would play this, which will probably going to be around xmas time
    Arteta
    Ramsey
    Ozil
    Wilshere
    Cazorla----
    Giroud

Ramsey and Arteta double pivot is a joy to watch and our most effective combination. Link up play between the front four would be amazing, and then bring on ox and walcott for the last twenty minutes when teams defenders are gassed. flamini, rosicky, diaby and podli also viable options of the bench.

While that does look good on paper, i feel that we would end up being far too narrow. And for as poor as Walcott played yesterday he is still one of the first names on the sheet.
    Think Wilshere works better from deep and then Ozil behind the striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah, really should be looking at around 14 points minimum there.

One game at a time and we could get 18.
    We should always aim for 100%.
    That's the way we have to aim to have aspirations for the title.

Arsenal looking more and more like a team that are better away from home.

We can really tire and frustrate a team on our own ground and we seem to be caught on the counter way too much at the Emirates.

Though, I think we will have very few problems, aside from fatigue, against Stoke as they are far from a serial counter-attack threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Until Ox gets back Walcott is pretty much undroppable, his finishing is normally better than it was yesterday anyway. If anything that game has made me more excited about Walcott, I think the presence of Ozil will encourage him to make more of those runs and Ozil's outrageous passing will pick him out at least once a game. Can see him hitting 20 goals in all comps again this year.

Yesterday 49% of our attacks came down the right, 27% through the middle and 24% the left. He had a big influence despite not playing great, I think we need him for the width and pace he provides. I was also quite impressed with Wilshere on the left, he looks to be a decent option there. The coaches really need to make him work on his shooting and right foot though, hes horribly one footed and very predictable as he never shoots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

In Theos defence, it isn't like he snatched at the opportunities. Maybe 2 or 3 seasons ago he'd have taken a rash swipe at the ball. For the first one, when Ozil put him clean through, he actually did the right thing. He tried to lift it over the keepers right shoulder.

It's far easier to accept a striker missing when they are doing the right things imo. Whereas if he was short on confidence and aimlessly smashing it goalwards, it'd be a worry.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ozil has to play at 10, he's too good to play anywhere else.

Theo had an off day yesterday but he's a very potent weapon, and brings balance to the side that we'd lack otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I think people are missing the bigger picture a little when criticizing Walcott. Yes, he's not getting as many goals or assists this year as people would like, but there are a lot more reasons for this than just his own form...

1. This time last year everything was going through the right. The main reason for this is Cazorla had a tendency to drift right when he started in the centre, and we would overload on this side of the pitch and try play Walcott through. In comparison this year, especially with the Cazorla starting on the opposite flank, and Gibbs on fire on the left the play seems much more balanced and the ball isn't coming into the areas Walcott is most dangerous from as often.

2. The form of the central players (Ramsey and Giroud in particular) means they are more frequently found higher up the pitch than they were last year. The runs by Ramsey and Giroud sometimes mean Walcott has to drop deep more often, both to cover and also to find space, so in turn Walcott's not able to involve himself in play around the box as much as he'd like. Another consequence of this is that before where before Walcott would waiting high up to make runs into the box, now the central players are making those runs and the general play has a tendency to bypass him at times through no fault of his own.

But Walcott actually deserves a lot more credit than he's getting. His movement off the ball is brilliant at times, and he's keeps it up even when the ball is miles from him. Additionally, defensively he seems much more switched on than before. And his passing is much improved upon previous years.

As a player I think he's improved immensely in the last two years and he still seems to be adding to his game all the time. So, a bit like Wenger said of Ramsey, once he starts scoring he'll be hard to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Theo drifts in and out of too many games for my liking.
    If you need someone to get you a goal in a tough physical game then don't expect Theo to be that man.
    He is great when things are going well but hides in too many games for me.
    The annoying thing is that he has loads of ability but lacks guts at times in my opinion. That does not come with experience either.

Yes, Theo is like a Wide Receiver in American Football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Theo drifts in and out of too many games for my liking.
    If you need someone to get you a goal in a tough physical game then don't expect Theo to be that man.
    He is great when things are going well but hides in too many games for me.
    The annoying thing is that he has loads of ability but lacks guts at times in my opinion. That does not come with experience either.

What wingers don't do this....? The only ones who don't are the ones who drift infield, which we don't need at all.

He scored against United, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool last season, he has no problem with tough games. Needs to score more against the bad sides but they park the bus which doesn't suit his game.

• Advertisement

I don't really buy the 'Theo drifts in and out of games' thing.

Well I do but it's not his fault.

Walcott is supposed to be a simple enough machine.

Make run beyond last defender, destroy them for pace, receive ball and square or finish as appropriate.

He's not a winger, he's a wide forward and the above is all we really want him to do.

For me you can fault him for frequently making the wrong decision between squaring and finishing but that's about it.

I don't buy the 'drifts in and out of games' thing because he's not an all rounder - he has a very specific purpose. Sure he does other stuff too but bar the odd counter attack (most of which fall apart due to his awful decision making) none of it is ever threatening.

He's basically trained to do exactly what Henry did best but he's limited to that, there's no hope
    of him matching the rest of Henry's game.

Anyway, with all of that in mind I think that when 'that' move is not on in a match, whether it's because the rb is sitting deep or because our AMF is bring kept quiet or because the entire stoke team refuse to leave their own box, it's not Theo's fault.

He is not, nor has ever been, someone who can do something with a defender standing in front of him.

But he's potentially such an insane weapon. Just that key bit of calmness needed.

But hey, he's still only 24. Iirc Henry wasn't so great at that age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement