Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

AdamD wrote: »
    What wingers don't do this....? The only ones who don't are the ones who drift infield, which we don't need at all.

He scored against United, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton and Liverpool last season, he has no problem with tough games. Needs to score more against the bad sides but they park the bus which doesn't suit his game.

His final product can be inconsistent. His finishing, crossing and passing have been average at best. He often takes the completely wrong option and tends to run with his head down instead of looking around for his best option. I don't know what the cause of it is but we rarely see him taking on his marker of late.

Don't get me wrong he has done well for us but he frustrates me in many games by making silly decisions. I expected him to rise to a different level but he hasn't reached that level as yet.

I would love to know how many he has scored against very physical teams like Stoke as he seems to mind himself against this kind of opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No player has made more tackles in the Premier League this season than AaronRamsey - 20

No player has made more tackles in the Premier League this season than AaronRamsey - 20

He seems to be really enjoying his football too. Playing great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

He seems to be really enjoying his football too. Playing great stuff.

Yeah just pointed out how much he seems to be doing the dirty stuff as well

Yeah just pointed out how much he seems to be doing the dirty stuff as well

3 goals last season and 5 already this season. His confidence is very high and he is getting the rewards for putting in such hard work following his comeback from such a serious injury. He will continue to improve and barring further injuries the sky is the limit. He needs to work on his passing, which can be wayward at times,to be a complete player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Top of the league!!!

I know i know it was yesterday's news but aside from the alphabet helping us out preseason, when was the last time this happened??

OK OK, so easy enough games so far .... but City losing to Palace and dropping points to Stoke? Chelsea losing to Everton? Utd losing to Liverpool? It's not as though the big clubs have been taking points off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't really buy the 'Theo drifts in and out of games' thing.

Well I do but it's not his fault.

Walcott is supposed to be a simple enough machine.

Make run beyond last defender, destroy them for pace, receive ball and square or finish as appropriate.

He's not a winger, he's a wide forward and the above is all we really want him to do.

For me you can fault him for frequently making the wrong decision between squaring and finishing but that's about it.

I don't buy the 'drifts in and out of games' thing because he's not an all rounder - he has a very specific purpose. Sure he does other stuff too but bar the odd counter attack (most of which fall apart due to his awful decision making) none of it is ever threatening.

He's basically trained to do exactly what Henry did best but he's limited to that, there's no hope
    of him matching the rest of Henry's game.

Anyway, with all of that in mind I think that when 'that' move is not on in a match, whether it's because the rb is sitting deep or because our AMF is bring kept quiet or because the entire stoke team refuse to leave their own box, it's not Theo's fault.

He is not, nor has ever been, someone who can do something with a defender standing in front of him.

But he's potentially such an insane weapon. Just that key bit of calmness needed.

But hey, he's still only 24. Iirc Henry wasn't so great at that age.

He missed three yesterday, that were put on a plate for him. He can be effective but not consistent or reliable. With the class of the passes that he got yesterday he showed that he was not up to it. I hope he gets better, but not over confident he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

City lost to Cardiff but yeah you're point sort of still stands, Stoke is a difficult enough place to go, As for chelsea everton is there bogey team, and Liverpool and United games usually can go anyway

Suppose what im trying to say is Im delighted we're top of the league but im not counting any chickens the big boys aven't even started to play yet, I am optimistic about the next 6 games though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Whats the general feeling amongst fellow gooners about Ozils debut yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Sergio wrote: »
    Whats the general feeling amongst fellow gooners about Ozils debut yesterday?

I think his performance was slightly over-rated.

He was very good and created some lovely plays in the first half. Wasn't at his best (Illness and unfamiliarity) and it was right to bring him off in the second half.

His first half was great though and a touch of magic to create the first goal.

I'd give him an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ozil had a good intro, and if that wasn't him at his best, I'd say the opposition should be fairly scared to see him at his best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah had some good touches and a few great passes for Giroud and Walcott but he'll need more time to settle in properly and its a massive let down that Santi is gonna be out till october so we'll prolly see him more out on the left :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quazzie wrote: »
    Do people here think Diaby is still an option for us? I just want to see him get fit for a transfer Window so we can sell him. His injury record is insane and that's not going to change.

Diaby is one of the few players I think the club have done right by in keeping him. Would probably have been a very important player for us at this stage if it weren't for Dan Smith.

That being said he's a very streaky type of player when fit too; great game followed by anonymous game. I think his style of play opens him up to injuries too; maybe a case of reshaping his game and he might be useful for us; some kind of Arteta pivoté back up maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud “It is not bad. I twisted my ankle but, fortunately, it is nothing major. Marseille? Yes, I am OK, I will be fine.”
    Puts my mind at ease for now anyways!

gosplan wrote: »

But hey, he's still only 24. Iirc Henry wasn't so great at that age.

You made great points until this last sentence. Henry hit average 28 goals per season for us per season for the 8 seasons he gave at the club between 99 and 07. I might also add he joined at 22 and in his first season he hit 26 goals, 2001 he hit 22, then 2 seasons consecutively after that he hit 32, then 39, 30, 33 and in his last injury plagued season he hit 12.

Walcott shows some similarities to Henry at times but its crazy to use Henry as a comparison with Walcott. They are worlds apart. For all Walcott's pace i think opposition would always fancy doing a job on him but with Henry, even the best defences in Europe were cacking themselves with him.

You made great points until this last sentence. Henry hit average 28 goals per season for us per season for the 8 seasons he gave at the club between 99 and 07. I might also add he joined at 22 and in his first season he hit 26 goals, 2001 he hit 22, then 2 seasons consecutively after that he hit 32, then 39, 30, 33 and in his last injury plagued season he hit 12.

Walcott shows some similarities to Henry at times but its crazy to use Henry as a comparison with Walcott. They are worlds apart. For all Walcott's pace i think opposition would always fancy doing a job on him but with Henry, even the best defences in Europe were cacking themselves with him.

Got my ages wrong.

Seriously though, wasn't trying to make solid comparison to Henry. Just saying that there was an aspect of Henry's game, one of the most effective bits, that Walcott is trying to replicate on the right side.

He'll never match the rest of his game though.

The way I see it, Walcott is special cause he can play with the defenders behind him. Cazorla is special cause he can play with the defenders in front of him.

Henry was extra special cause he could do both.

Giroud: “Not every striker is lucky enough to have Mesut Ozil, Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Theo Walcott and Santi Cazorla behind them."
    He has got that one right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Raf32 wrote: »
    He has got that one right!
    innit blud

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Read this quote on a blog re Ramsey and wenger

“If it had been any other manager, Ramsey would have been offloaded in the 2011-12 season to a bottom half table team (probably lower),and Wenger would have bought in a player who would have been better than Ramsey was at the time, but not as good as Ramsey can be under Arsene Wenger’s coaching, and just think what a waste of talent that would have been. To be honest I have absolutely no idea what Wenger saw in Ramsey at that time, he was very mediocre, but once again he was right and Ramsey will be remembered as an arsenal great by the end of his career. I’ve just never seen a manager that can see potential in a player when no one else can like Arsene Wenger and be able to turn a player from utter mediocrity to world class (which Ramsey isn’t too far from). The “Wenger out” brigade really don’t understand how lucky we are to have him as our manager.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

world class (which Ramsey isn’t too far from)

He's playing brilliantly at the minute, but that's a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just got told I'll be going over to the Everton game in December as a 30th birthday present from the other half :D. Be my first time in the Emirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Just got told I'll be going over to the Everton game in December as a 30th birthday present from the other half :D. Be my first time in the Emirates.

Fair play to that lady!

hope you have a great day, the stadium is really impressive.

maximoose wrote: »
    He's playing brilliantly at the minute, but that's a bit of a stretch.
    Agreed. Wasnt my quote just one I saw and thought I would share as it made what I thought was a good point.

So does anyone know what teh story is with Park? Is he actually at Arsenal or where

I doubt we will see him but its strange hes listed on the website and there is no mention of him considering how thin we are

So does anyone know what teh story is with Park? Is he actually at Arsenal or where

I doubt we will see him but its strange hes listed on the website and there is no mention of him considering how thin we are

It was an awful signing, truly nonsensical.

Wouldn't be surprised of he's doing his military service at the moment and the club aren't mentioning it cause they come out looking rather foolish.

Olivier Giroud has scored four goals from just five shots on target in the PL and five from six on target in all competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Olivier Giroud has scored four goals from just five shots on target in the PL and five from six on target in all competitions.

#efficient

I see Mourinho trying to make excuses already, this league is there for the taking for whoever wants it the most, good run of form until january, one or two additions and we could be there or there abouts come the run in.

The King
    BUSQSlPCIAASPqx.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Read this quote on a blog re Ramsey and wenger

“If it had been any other manager, Ramsey would have been offloaded in the 2011-12 season to a bottom half table team (probably lower),and Wenger would have bought in a player who would have been better than Ramsey was at the time, but not as good as Ramsey can be under Arsene Wenger’s coaching, and just think what a waste of talent that would have been. To be honest I have absolutely no idea what Wenger saw in Ramsey at that time, he was very mediocre, but once again he was right and Ramsey will be remembered as an arsenal great by the end of his career. I’ve just never seen a manager that can see potential in a player when no one else can like Arsene Wenger and be able to turn a player from utter mediocrity to world class (which Ramsey isn’t too far from). The “Wenger out” brigade really don’t understand how lucky we are to have him as our manager.”

Let's just wait till the end of the season before we evaluate whether or not he's a future arsenal great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Let's just wait till the end of the season before we evaluate whether or not he's a future arsenal great.

exactly.

Ramsey is playing well but talk about a pendulum swinging too far.

Ramsey was very poor for a lot of last season. Lots of touches and passes, great. Stats are useless without context and analysis. While again the dismissive use of "brigade" betrays some people's lack of ability to debate honestly. I can see little reason for playing Ramsey so much last season. It shouldn't have taken almost the entire season for him to get back to playing well as it did. I can't imagine the negative reactions he was getting helped. Or being played out of position. A good outcome doesn't necessarily mean the right or logical decisions were made to begin with.
    Right now he's playing well but Christ the pendulum has gone way too far. If Ramsey is world class, and Ozil is (he actually is), and Wilshere is, and Cazorla is, and they all play together for much of the season then we should be winning everything. There's some over-estimation of our players going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ramsey was very poor for a lot of last season. Lots of touches and passes, great. Stats are useless without context and analysis. While again the dismissive use of "brigade" betrays some people's lack of ability to debate honestly. I can see little reason for playing Ramsey so much last season. It shouldn't have taken almost the entire season for him to get back to playing well as it did. I can't imagine the negative reactions he was getting helped. Or being played out of position. A good outcome doesn't necessarily mean the right or logical decisions were made to begin with.
    Right now he's playing well but Christ the pendulum has gone way too far. If Ramsey is world class, and Ozil is (he actually is), and Wilshere is, and Cazorla is, and they all play together for much of the season then we should be winning everything. There's some over-estimation of our players going on.

If wer'e not allowed a bit of optimism and even hyperbole at the beginning of the season when are we ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Ramsey was not very poor for a lot of last season infact he was our best player fo the second half of the season.

And if a good outcome doesn't mean the right or logical decision was made to begin with then what does?? I s football not a results based business :confused:

Are you reallt an Arsenal fan? You do quite an impression of a bitter Spud btw;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

It shouldn't have taken almost the entire season for him to get back to playing well as it did.

It didnt take him all season to regain his form as already pointed out to you (very knowledge fan you are) but even if it did what the hell would you know about recovering from a broken leg and finding top form again? How can a time limit be put on an individuals recovery, mentally and physically??

Seems to me you are a negative fool, and dont pay enough attention to the team to come up with informed negative points

• Advertisement

yupya1 wrote: »
    It didnt take him all season to regain his form as already pointed out to you (very knowledge fan you are) but even if it did what the hell would you know about recovering from a broken leg and finding top form again? How can a time limit be put on an individuals recovery, mentally and physically??

Seems to me you are a negative fool, and dont pay enough attention to the team to come up with informed negative points

Yes you're right, Buttons is a knowledgeable fan. Is he a fool because he doesn't agree with you?

I don't agree with him about Ramsey but who am I to know what the real reason was behind Ramsey's lack of success in recent seasons. I certainly know that you don't know either.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭yupya1

You are right too, of course I dont know. but I certainly wouldnt lament a 22 year old who got serious injury for not regaining his form quickly enough.

Maybe I was too quick to abuse buttons but the flak Ramsey got sickens me

Ramsey was not very poor for a lot of last season infact he was our best player fo the second half of the season.
    2 goals and 5 assists in 47 matches. #effective
    And if a good outcome doesn't mean the right or logical decision was made to begin with then what does?? I s football not a results based business :confused:
    If I offer you 1/1 for Arsenal to win the league and you took it and Arsenal won the league it would still be a pretty damn stupid decision to take those odds when 8/1 or more is on offer.
    Are you reallt an Arsenal fan? You do quite an impression of a bitter Spud btw;)
    Go **** yourself and grow up.

yupya1 wrote: »
    Time limit? What are you talking about? Ramsey is playing well now but was much for much of last season. There seems little logic behind playing him so much last season, shunting him around, having him taking so much flak (much of it as warranted as it could be). I don't think he was handled well for quite a while and it may well have hindered his development.
    Trying to be realistic. Once again, if all Arsenal players are as good as some seem to suggest then Wenger should be sacked for not winning everything for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

2 goals and 5 assists in 47 matches. #effective

He was utterly superb second part of last season. Michael Carrick, Uniteds Players player of the year last year, 44 appearances 2 goals 4 assists. Sure he's clearly awful according to you.

• Advertisement

He was utterly superb second part of last season. Michael Carrick, Uniteds Players player of the year last year, 44 appearances 2 goals 4 assists. Sure he's clearly awful according to you.
    Ramsey improved through the season, he wasn't totes amazeballs for more than a match at a time. Again, memories are amazingly short on this thread, read back over match threads from our excellent run of results towards the end of last season.
    As far as stats go he plays (is meant to anyway) in a more advanced place than Carrick. He was on the wing at times last season etc.
    I would hope Ramsey ends up an awful lot better than Carrick but if that's where you're setting the bar then that's your prerogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I see there's another round of Buttonftw Vs Everyone Else.

Great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Just to nip all this in the bud before it escalates even further. All the snide comments end now. Robust disagreement is fine as long as you all show each other a bit of respect, but abuse, baiting, snide remarks or anything else along those lines will not be accepted.

There are a few of you with some extra yellow cards now, don't let it become bans.

I'm enjoying Ramseys current form and hope it continues for a long time.

Now whooooooo can disagree with that!

Time limit? What are you talking about? Ramsey is playing well now but was much for much of last season. There seems little logic behind playing him so much last season, shunting him around, having him taking so much flak (much of it as warranted as it could be). I don't think he was handled well for quite a while and it may well have hindered his development.

I'm not denying the logic behind this post but an argument can also be made that Ramsey got better and mentally stronger because of all the game time that he got.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'm not denying the logic behind this post but an argument can also be made that Ramsey got better and mentally stronger because of all the game time that he got.

2 years of it at his age seems a lot of time to take that chance on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I agree with buffon he has shown massive improvement but he was terrible last season, long may it continue but lets not get carried away like people have with jack.

Well I tell you what, time is going to tell on this one.

Player of the month twice in a row now and a great start to this month. I just hope it continues, and I've no doubt that you do too.

Indeed but wenger is Mr. Giveguysachanceifheratesthem.
    Like Diaby for instance. In this case currently his faith is being rewarded which is only a good thing for us. Nobody would have complained much if Ramsey was offloaded at the start of last season, but now he's become invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I agree with buffon he has shown massive improvement but he was terrible last season, long may it continue but lets not get carried away like people have with jack.

He wasn't terrible last season there hyberbole in one way and then there hyperbole in the other direction jut as much ;), for the second half of last season Ramsey was a key asset.

People never got carried away with Wilshere before he got his injuries he was incredible and when you took his age into consideration made it even more impressive that he bossed a midfield battle against a Barcelona side containing Xavi and Iniesta for example , right now he is going through his Ramsey period as emergingstar said he is still showing flashes of his old self and for me has still been performing well but fans being fickle fcukers are being way to quick to say did he he peak to early, fcuk he is only 21 I would put every penny I have on Wilshere fulfilling his potential and becoming world class.

Nice to see when our form apart from the Villa loss has been brilliant were are top of the league yes early days I know but negativity can still be creeping into some fans, and can't just enjoy were we are for the moment that is in it and the for that Ramsey has been showing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement