Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Button goes out at the weekend, meets a beautiful woman and they make passionate love all night. The next morning he's sitting on the edge of the bed, visibly upset, head in his hands. What's wrong button? Says the woman. "it was only a ride"
    "What do you mean?"
    "it should have been a threesome "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Marseille are the minnows in the group, anything other than 6 points from them would've left us with several vital matches against much better opposition.

The are the weaker of the 4, hardly minnows. Arsenal or any of the other 2 have any reason to count those a guaranteed 6pts. I can't see both Napoli and Dortmund winning that.

They are the second best team in France and at home, poor first half but we reacted wellin the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Last years winners not in this group. That was a great result tonight . Think we can get something from all the games if we have everyone available .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Quazzie wrote: »
    3 points on the board. Nothing else matters. Take your negativity and jog on please.

I think you guys are being too hard on him tbh. He has a point that we needed the win against Marseille because they are the weakest in the group. No doubt, he is very critical but I don't doubt his love for the club. We need the likes of him to give us a wake up call now and again.

Anyway- Ramsey is a BEAST!! I cannot believe the way he has transited from being very ordinary last season to the spectacular player he is this season. He was everywhere tonight- Kudos to him

FearDark wrote: »
    Just because they are the weakest team in the group doesn't mean we should get 6 points from them. I bet you Napoli or Dortmund won't get 6 against them.
    3 home wins in this group would be a massive achievement.
    well there's an away win for you and you suck the joy out of even that.
    It's amazing that my not popping open champagne bottles impinges so much on the "optimists" and "real fans" who post on this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I agree with Button in so far as we needed to win that one BUT I wildly disagree that its expected we win it.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Button goes out at the weekend, meets a beautiful woman and they make passionate love all night. The next morning he's sitting on the edge of the bed, visibly upset, head in his hands. What's wrong button? Says the woman. "it was only a ride"
    "What do you mean?"
    You've gotten used to not having a threesome for the last 8 years then I assume? Sorry if I can still dream :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I've turned over to rte to see what they have to say. I'd nearly put money on them saying everything people in here said earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ramsey looked upset at giving away that penalty, forget it and continue what you're doing son!

• Advertisement

I forget who said it in here weeks ago, I'm talking about preseason that Ramsey would be our best player this year, even better than Wilshere. At the time I didn't agree but I'm a believer now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Care to verbalise what you disagree with or just be glib?

I think what he's getting at is that Arsenal were about 6-4 to win the match.

So while we certainly weren't underdogs, it's not a foregone conclusion and the performance deserves to be celebrated.

We're actually now shorter (5-4) to win the group and odds on to qualify so I guess in a while we'll be hearing 'it's only the group stages lads'

I forget who said it in here weeks ago, I'm talking about preseason that Ramsey would be our best player this year, even better than Wilshere. At the time I didn't agree but I'm a believer now!

I didn't see the post but I'll eat my hat if it wasn't Emergingstar

Soups123 wrote: »
    I didn't see the post but I'll eat my hat if it wasn't Emergingstar

It's in the last superthread we had but I can't find it myself, I was searching for it yesterday. It was a great call.

It's in the last superthread we had but I can't find it myself, I was searching for it yesterday. It was a great call.

He is calling it about 8 months in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Come on now lads, it was only Marseille, Fenerbache, Sunderland ....

• Advertisement

I think I said Ramsey could score 20 a season if he improved his finishing but I was being widely optimistic! He has 6 already. Keep that rate up and he'll have 30

Shh I'm watching Basel beat Chelsea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

"What do you mean?"

I doubt he got the ride from the dejected sounding posts .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Less about threesomes and Buttons.

More about how good we have been. Another victory for us today. Ramsey doing good again.
    We controlled the game nicely but came dangerously close to conceding at times.

Positives and negatives to be taken from today.

Delighted though.

Bring on the Rugby Club!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Less about threesomes and Buttons.

More about how good we have been. Another victory for us today. Ramsey doing good again.
    We controlled the game nicely but came dangerously close to conceding at times.

Positives and negatives to be taken from today.

Delighted though.

Bring on the Rugby Club!!!

"the rugby club" have been doing well and passing the ball about of late. They will be no pushovers and we will need to play to a high standard to beat them.

• Advertisement

Delighted Walcott scored as well

"the rugby club" have been doing well and passing the ball about of late. They will be no pushovers and we will need to play to a high standard to beat them.

With there new style if play I'm less concerned about them! There style should suit us better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Definitely not. They are looking good and have introduced some flair on top of the usual Etherington + Pennant.

That being said, Arsenal have a fantastic home record against Stoke and I feel that some of their players may struggle at the Emirates. Though having players like Pieters in and players like Wilkinson out; Stoke will only provide a more stern test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Who needs Suarez when you have a Ramsey firing on all cylinders :D.

Clearly tongue in cheek before someone has a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm not saying they will be pushovers, but with our current form what is it one loss in 18? I think we can and the team are starting to feel confident they can beat anyone.

"What do you mean?"

The following night the woman brings her equally hot friend over and Button spends the night with both. Next morning more despair from Button. "Whats wrong now Button". His reply "There wasnt enough Girl on girl for my liking and besides your friend only 'used' to be a model"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wouldn't it be gas if Ramsey scored more goals than bale this season?

Strong possibility. Ramsey is flying it at a settled club but Bale will be trying to settle himself and his family into a whole new culture. You'd perhaps still get decent odds on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Im going to go out on a limb here and say it aint happening, real will score 4/6 goals every third game.
    Saying that aslong as Ramsey keeps lining my pocket Ill be happy if he does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

greendom wrote: »
    With Marseille away tonight (possibly the easiest of the 3 away games) and then 2 home ties to follow, is it too much to ask for 3 wins from our 3 first games ? It would put us in a very strong position with the 2 tough away games in Germany and Italy. Even if we lose both of those a home win against Marseille might well send us through.

Thinking of putting a fiver on Walcott for first scorer tonight. Won't actually be able to see the game as I'm going to see Roger Waters at the Aviva.

With the rush to get to the show, I didn't manage to lay the bet. Shame. Great start to the campaign anyway. Pity to have missed it but the gig was epic !

• Advertisement

With the rush to get to the show, I didn't manage to lay the bet. Shame. Great start to the campaign anyway. Pity to have missed it but the gig was epic !

You missed nothing, we only beat Marseilles:pac:

Probably best you didn't lay it. :pac:

Probably best you didn't lay it. :pac:

I suppose that's what Mourinho would have done ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What did people think think of ozil last night?

They were all over him like a rash, he has to get used to been double marked and, teams are going to be very physical with him now.

But it will free up space for Ramsey and Santi to do their thing in the middle!

What did people think think of ozil last night?

They were all over him like a rash, he has to get used to been double marked and, teams are going to be very physical with him now.

But it will free up space for Ramsey and Santi to do their thing in the middle!

Had a few quality moments but I dunno was he 100% fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Fantastic win last night but our formation down the left was open to attack after attack. We'll get caught out against Napoli or Dortmund on the counter if it stays that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Where the hell is Galvasean with the goals table?

HazDanz wrote: »
    Fantastic win last night but our formation down the left was open to attack after attack. We'll get caught out against Napoli or Dortmund on the counter if it stays that way.

Gibbs was pretty much our only left sided player. Wilshere drifted in all night. Gibbs was excellent tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Worried that we looked a little tired last night. Our passing wasn't anywhere near as precise as it normally is, and the touch looked a little heavy at times. Let's hope Arteta, Cazorla and Podolski get back to fitness quickly, we're going to have to start resting players soon!

A word on Wilshere: he looks to be in a similar place as Ramsey was this time last season. Eager, but lacking confidence and composure. He's making the many of the same mistakes Ramsey used to, taking too many touches, not taking the simple option enough and not really timing his runs that well. Game time is what it takes to sort it out, but I wouldn't expect great things of him this season, he needs a little breathing space to find his form!

Also, the cameo from Ryo! I love that kid, such a hard worker! I really hope he gets some game time this season, there's a very useful player in the making there.

All in all a really good win last night though. Marseille is an intimidating place to go to and Ayew and Valbeuna are very dangerous players. I don't expect them to lose all their home matches so last night was a great result for us!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A word on Wilshere: he looks to be in a similar place as Ramsey was this time last season. Eager, but lacking confidence and composure. He's making the many of the same mistakes Ramsey used to, taking too many touches, not taking the simple option enough and not really timing his runs that well. Game time is what it takes to sort it out, but I wouldn't expect great things of him this season, he needs a little breathing space to find his form!
    I think he's played alright over the past two games, though playing him in the three behind the striker doesn't really suit him (and especially not on the left of the three).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I think he's played alright over the past two games, though playing him in the three behind the striker doesn't really suit him (and especially not on the left of the three).

Yes and no. He's not done anything wrong, and he's most definitely been working quite hard out there but he's just not looking sharp to me. I feel our attacking plays have a tendency to stall a bit more often when he's involved.

On playing on the wing obviously isn't ideal, but it's a ploy Wenger likes to use with young midfielders to get them used to playing in tighter spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

wilshere is there out of necessity rather a need to learn to play in tight spaces i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Frisbee has the most spectacular fall from grace; from 2 championship wins to absolutely nowhere.

Suffering from a serious case of the Liverpools.

I thought we had to play again Saturday lunchtime. Delighted we've got the additional 24 hours of to recuperate for Mark Hughes and Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Giroud in the bench
    Walcott up front
    Gnarby on the right

Wanna see this in Sunday

Give giroud a good rest before Tuesday

Win on tues we have control of the group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Give giroud a good rest before Tuesday

Win on tues we have control of the group

2 weeks before we play in the CL again, next midweek is WBA in the Carling Cup. No Giroud there id say anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

wawaman wrote: »
    2 weeks before we play in the CL again, next midweek is WBA in the Carling Cup. No Giroud there id say anyway

Fcuk that so

Play him Sunday

The selection for the WBA game will be interesting. Lots of players deserving/needful of a rest. How many will get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

City fan here . Bit of a soft spot for Arsenal though . Just wanted to say ye lads got a bargain in getting Flamini back on a free . Covers some amount of ground in the middle third and wont pull out of any tackle . I also think ye are lucky to have someone as gifted as Wilshere . Maybe he's not playing to his full potential at the moment , but still some of the touches he done last night were above anything anyone on the pitch done or could do .

Anyway good luck for the year , if we dont win the PL hopefully you guys do ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

The selection for the WBA game will be interesting. Lots of players deserving/needful of a rest. How many will get one?

You will most likely see Fabianski, Vermaelan, Gnarby, Ryo start. After that unless you pick from the reserves/youth then you have most of the lads that have played all season. Besides we have club record to maintain :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement