Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wawaman wrote: »
    You will most likely see Fabianski, Vermaelan, Gnarby, Ryo start. After that unless you pick from the reserves/youth then you have most of the lads that have played all season. Besides we have club record to maintain :D

Jenkinson, Monreal will start too I would have thought. Arteta too if he's back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Watching the game last night and I was more than a little nervous - especially for most of the 1st half. But in fairness we defended quite well against a very powerful team that will cause everyone problems. We had a few dodgy moments but I think we coped well.

I thought the pitch was terrible and Ozil had a well below bar performance but he's still finding his feet so no worries there.

The CL is really going to test our squad depth - I haven't looked but we could do with not having any big games immediately after a mid-week CL game.

I think we are going to regret not getting another striker during the Summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

TheNap wrote: »
    City fan here . Bit of a soft spot for Arsenal though . Just wanted to say ye lads got a bargain in getting Flamini back on a free . Covers some amount of ground in the middle third and wont pull out of any tackle . I also think ye are lucky to have someone as gifted as Wilshere . Maybe he's not playing to his full potential at the moment , but still some of the touches he done last night were above anything anyone on the pitch done or could do .

Anyway good luck for the year , if we dont win the PL hopefully you guys do ..
    I wouldn't say that, Ozil was on the pitch.

I think Wilshere will benefit greatly from Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsay being around and playing very well, as it will leave him time to get back to his old self without too much pressure. I'd still have him behind them in the pecking order for now though.

Flamini was an excellent acquisition, yeah. Very glad to have him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Watching the game last night and I was more than a little nervous - especially for most of the 1st half. But in fairness we defended quite well against a very powerful team that will cause everyone problems. We had a few dodgy moments but I think we coped well.

I thought the pitch was terrible and Ozil had a well below bar performance but he's still finding his feet so no worries there.

The CL is really going to test our squad depth - I haven't looked but we could do with not having any big games immediately after a mid-week CL game.

I think we are going to regret not getting another striker during the Summer

As far as I can remember we have some tough fixtures after cl games, must look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

flamini and ramsey both covered 12.5km yesterday.

engines.

As far as I can remember we have some tough fixtures after cl games, must look it up.

yep

Utd away after the Dortmond away game and City away after the Napoli away game

yep

Utd away after the Dortmond away game and City away after the Napoli away game

That is tough - hopefully they'll at least be Sunday 4pm kick-offs ?

greendom wrote: »
    That is tough - hopefully they'll at least be Sunday 4pm kick-offs ?

utd game is Sun 4pm after a Wed game - the City game is down as SAt 3pm after a Wed game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

utd game is Sun 4pm after a Wed game - the City game is down as SAt 3pm after a Wed game

Surely Sky will want the City game for Super Sunday?

bad2dabone wrote: »
    flamini and ramsey both covered 12.5km yesterday.

engines.

With Ramsey's pace that's a proper achievement :pac:

Awkward enough little run coming up now. The main thing I would be after is avoiding a cup reply at all costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

With Ramsey's pace that's a proper achievement :pac:

Awkward enough little run coming up now. The main thing I would be after is avoiding a cup reply at all costs.

No replays in the league cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Jenkinson, Monreal will start too I would have thought. Arteta too if he's back.
    Akpom and zelalam will probably get starts too. Id expect it to be a different 11 that plays on the weekend.

Need to rest some of the players and it is the carling cup

AdamD wrote: »
    No replays in the league cup.

Yeah just checked that there. No injuries is the main thing then. :pac:

Who do we play up top in the League Cup? Assuming Giroud will be rested, Walcott probably will be also. Sanogo is injured, will he be fit? If not, will Podolski be fit? I don't know what's happening with Park, which leaves the legend himself to lead the line....

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Who do we play up top in the League Cup? Assuming Giroud will be rested, Walcott probably will be also. Sanogo is injured, will he be fit? If not, will Podolski be fit? I don't know what's happening with Park, which leaves the legend himself to lead the line....

Podolski not due back 'till October, was the last I heard.

Bendtner if hes fit. IF not it will be Akpom

Podolski not due back 'till October, was the last I heard.

Knew he was an outsider alright, that's why I had him fourth.

If Sanogo is out, we'll be calling on a youth player, Park or Bendtner. :eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Charles 'Chubby' Adkins:

37-Atkins.jpeg

60k a week - Danish international - where's his pride ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Dont think I would mind seeing Bendtner been given a run out in the CC. Like it or not we are stuck with him and I want him at his best fitness. We badly need him on the bench. Giroud cant play every game.

He is playing for his next move really so he needs to play well. Maybe he'll surprise us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Akpom and zelalam will probably get starts too

Thought I heard Zelalem was out injured and wouldn't feature against WBA in the Cup. Pity, would've liked to seen what he could've done. Hopefully the lads can get through that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Charles 'Chubby' Adkins:

37-Atkins.jpeg

Heisenbould was one of the funniest things I've seen.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Thought I heard Zelalem was out injured and wouldn't feature against WBA in the Cup. Pity, would've liked to seen what he could've done. Hopefully the lads can get through that game.
    That is a shame. Frimpong may feature as well.

I love watching the CC games getting a chance to see these players and if they can make the step up to stay a part of the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that arsenal gentleman is the biggest load of bollocks i've ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

batistuta9 wrote: »
    that arsenal gentleman is the biggest load of bollocks i've ever seen

You scallywag. I think its hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The gentlemen mugshots are priceless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Akpom up front for me in the CC. No matter what way you look at it he is the future and Bendtner is the past. The CC for Arsenal means game time for our fringe/younger players. I don't want Bendtner anywhere near our squad, especially after trying to pull the wool over our eyes in that press release he made a few weeks ago.

keano_afc wrote: »
    You scallywag. I think its hilarious.

the photos/names was alright, the rest of it is fúcking pants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Giroud in the bench
    Walcott up front
    Gnarby on the right

Wanna see this in Sunday

Give giroud a good rest before Tuesday

Win on tues we have control of the group

Do you anything about Fantasy Football? :mad:

Had to check our fixture list.

Right so...

5 Games in 15 days

22nd Sept: Stoke [prem]

25th Sept: WBA [league cup]

28th Sept: Swansea [prem]

1st Oct: Napoli [CL]

6th Oct: WBA [prem]

Then we have almost two weeks before...

19th Oct: Norwich [prem]

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Most if not all of our fit first team players should be rested in the WBA game IMO. I'd rather we didn't get knocked out at this stage but it's more important to rest players for the PL & CL than progress in the Capitol One when the squad is so thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

FearDark wrote: »
    Had to check our fixture list.

Right so...

5 Games in 15 days

22nd Sept: Stoke [prem]

25th Sept: WBA [league cup]

28th Sept: Swansea [prem]

1st Oct: Napoli [CL]

6th Oct: WBA [prem]

Then we have almost two weeks before...

19th Oct: Norwich [prem]

Hopefully we can get Arteta and Sanogo back for some of those games. The Ox is down as out till the 6th Oct, fingers crossed he might be back a bit earlier.

We should have near full compliment available for the Norwich game.

I think its about getting to the January window in a decent position in the league and then making a signing, hopefully a striker to push on for a tilt at the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Hopefully we can get Arteta and Sanogo back for some of those games. The Ox is down as out till the 6th Oct, fingers crossed he might be back a bit earlier.

We should have near full compliment available for the Norwich game.

I think its about getting to the January window in a decent position in the league and then making a signing, hopefully a striker to push on for a tilt at the title.

And a centre half! Trying to go through a season with only 3 is flirting with disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Something like this for the CC game:

Fab
    Jenks Verm Mert Monreal
    Ryo Arteta Frimpong Ozil
    Sanogo Gnabry

Subs: Bendtner, Eisfeld, Afobe, Akpom..

Maybe a few first teamers in case of emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Fab
    Jenks Verm Mert Monreal
    Ryo Arteta Frimpong Ozil
    Sanogo Gnabry

IMO that'd be just setting them up to lose.

It's a tough balancing act but we've seen in the past that going out and playing a bad game can be just as bad as tiring your players a bit more.

Arteta is the only player in the front sux with any experience for us. IMO start Ramsey and Walcott and sub them off as early as we can win the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Id play
    Fab
    Jenko Hayden TV5 Monreal
    Ramsey Arteta Flamini
    Walcott Akpom Gnabry

Goalkeeper is an easy choice. Defence, 3 out of 4 well enough to beat west brom and need to start blooding in Hayden in case we might actually have to play him later, so would be happy with that back 5. Arteta needs to regain fitness, while flamini hasnt played many games, half against Spurs and two full games and is an engine so should be well able to play, put Ramsey in too who is also an engine and not to stop his form now, let him keep playing and keep improving and keep his confidence. Upfront is weak enough Walcott needs the games and maybe a few goals would do his confidence some good, Gnabry is an excellent talent and should be more than enough for this tournament and can threaten down either flank. Akpom up front or Sonago/Bendtner up front should be more than fine with all that creativity in that team, bring a strong bench and we should be grand!

Anyone know how many goals and apps Giroud has had in 2013?

Dunno what's happened to Galvasean these days, but here ye go:

Ramsey 6 (2)
    Giroud 5 (4)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)
    League goals in brackets.

That right? Done from memory, so not 100%!

Can we get a table for assists? See if anyone will top Ozil this year!

Galvasean needs to come back!

I was hoping for apps/gls from Jan 2013-now.

Anyone know how many goals and apps Giroud has had in 2013?

8 - 22 jan-may
    5 - 7 aug-now
    13 in 29 total
    http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/olivier-giroud/leistungsdaten/spieler_82442_2013.html

also http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/olivier-giroud-wanted-luis-suarez-2281784
    "When the name of Suarez was circulating, I honestly thought it was a good thing for the team. We could have complemented each other," Giroud told L'Equipe .

"Suarez would have been a cannon... and he can also play out wide."

However, Giroud didn't look quite so fondly upon the chase for Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain.

"It would have been difficult for me with a different player.

"We (Giroud and Higuain) would have been in direct competition because he is a pure central striker. Of course, at the time, it would have bothered me a bit. But I was not afraid of competition."

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ramsey 6 (2)
    Giroud 5 (4)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

Galvasean needs to come back!

276232_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-So-Cute_1920x1200.jpg

Hit us with your best stat Galvasean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hit us with your best stat Galvasean!

I'm sure everybody has said it already, but my favourite stat is that Ramsey has scored twice as many goals so far this season as he did in all of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm sure everybody has said it already, but my favourite stat is that Ramsey has scored twice as many goals so far this season as he did in all of last season.

My favorite stat is that Ramsey has scored more goals this season then Spurs
    :pac:

Galvasean wrote: »

three times as many

you're still on holidays :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fab
    Jenks Verm Mert Monreal
    Ryo Arteta Frimpong Ozil
    Sanogo Gnabry

A few first teamers?

Ozil and Mertesacker shouldn't be even travelling to Birmingham.

Fabianski

Bellerin --- Hayden -- Vermaelen --- Monreal

Arteta
    Frimpong

Rosicky

Miyaichi
    Akpom
    Gnabry

Only reason Arteta starts is he needs an hour of football and only reason Rosicky starts is that Zelalem is injured. Really want to see Bellerin get a game. If Sanogo is fit, sub him in for Akpom.

Ramsey 6 (2)
    Giroud 5 (4)
    Podolski 2 (2)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Walcott 1 (0)

Can we get a table for assists? See if anyone will top Ozil this year!

I did a few goal updates but just moved to a gaff with no Internet so didnt get a chance to update after the last 2 games

Everything will be fine now Galvasean is back, won't it pappa? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We shouldn't risk any first team players in the Mickey Mouse Cup. We have enough injuries to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

cson wrote: »
    A few first teamers?

Ozil and Mertesacker shouldn't be even travelling to Birmingham.

Fabianski

Bellerin --- Hayden -- Vermaelen --- Monreal

Arteta
    Frimpong

Rosicky

Miyaichi
    Akpom
    Gnabry

Only reason Arteta starts is he needs an hour of football and only reason Rosicky starts is that Zelalem is injured. Really want to see Bellerin get a game. If Sanogo is fit, sub him in for Akpom.

No way. Play a strong team. Give us a chance of silverware like Wenger has done recently in the League Cup.

That team would let West Brom walk allover us in my opinion. I would prefer we get a run in the League Cup and keep the fans excited.

If we get knocked out with that side, there will be A LOT of backlash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement