Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

cathalio11 wrote: »
    No way. Play a strong team. Give us a chance of silverware like Wenger has done recently in the League Cup.

That team would let West Brom walk allover us in my opinion. I would prefer we get a run in the League Cup and keep the fans excited.

If we get knocked out with that side, there will be A LOT of backlash.

And if we lose Giroud/Ramsey/Ozil/Kosclieny to injury there won't be?

Personally, I'd go with the following, assuming fitness:

Fabianski
    Jenkinson -- Vermaelen -- CB -- Monreal
    Arteta
    Flamini
    Rosicky
    Miyachi
    Gnabry
    ST

I was tempted to put Wilshere in, but figured that midfield should be enough. Keep him on the bench to replace Arteta who won't last the 90. Would play Chamberlain on the right if he were fit, but it's not likely. If Sanogo isn't fit either, ST is an issue. Giroud shouldn't even leave his house on the day. At CB, no need to risk either Mertesacker or Kosclieny. Wouldn't risk Sagna either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I believe we can actually win the league this season and at least mount a meaningful challenge. We won't get a better chance as can be seen from the first 4 games with managerial changes and teams bringing in many new players. As such the CC is a bad distraction and we should play the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

No way. Play a strong team. Give us a chance of silverware like Wenger has done recently in the League Cup.

Eff that in the A. Our squad is ravaged by injury and we have games coming in thick and fast. I don't want to see somebody like Giroud, Ozil or Ramsey get broke up in the Mickey Mouse Cup when we, as a team, should have bigger fish to fry.
    Besides, last season we played strong sides in the CC and got beaten by a lower league outfit in any case because the first teamers lacked motivation, knowing they were playing for a cup nobody outside of lazy redtop journos thinks we should be placing priorities on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Should be a mix of back ups (Fabinski, Monreal, Vermaelen, Jenkinson), people back from injury (Arteta, Rosicky, Ox/Poldi if available) and young players (Gnabry, Ryo, Sanogo, Akpom, Frimpong, Bellerin) and maybe 1 or 2 1st XI players if gaps need to be filled. I'd still be confident of getting a win with that lot, especially with the strength in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What about bendtner, will he play?

• Advertisement

Walcott scored a league goal yet? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Walcott scored a league goal yet? :pac:

Neither has suarez!

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Neither has suarez!
    I don't see this ending well. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't see this ending well. :pac:

Liverpool fans turning in their sleep everywhere right now.

Liverpool fans turning in their sleep everywhere right now.

I've never seen a Liverpool fan sleep so you can excuse me if I'm a little more on edge than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What about bendtner, will he play?

He's too busy eating Nando's to be worrying about a petty cup match

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Arteta back for the weekend maybe. Hopefully the start of an injury room clear out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Arteta back for the weekend maybe. Hopefully the start of an injury room clear out
    Woot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It will be good to have him back but I am of the opinion that our attacking build-up was a little faster when he was out than with him in the team. He is a great player but he slows up the play.
    Good to have Flamini as cover and i'm sure Wenger has each of them earmarked for certain games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It will be good to have him back but I am of the opinion that our attacking build-up was a little faster when he was out than with him in the team. He is a great player but he slows up the play.
    Good to have Flamini as cover and i'm sure Wenger has each of them earmarked for certain games.

Perhaps he slows things down but I think he contributes so much in terms of organisation. He's very disciplined and as a result provides better protection to our defence than any other midfielder. For me he should be first choice for all the big matches.

I think we're more comfortable in midfield and just generally play better with him in the side, but to be fair Flamini has done well since coming in and has made Arteta's absence a less pressing concern.

Missing Cazorla, Chambo and particularly Podolski all at the same time is the big problem at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I think we're more comfortable in midfield and just generally play better with him in the side, but to be fair Flamini has done well since coming in and has made Arteta's absence a less pressing concern.

Missing Cazorla, Chambo and particularly Podolski all at the same time is the big problem at the moment.

Indeed, our lack of option in the final third could really hurt us against the better teams. Taking into account the fact that Griroud is carrying an injury too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

It’ll be a serious boost to the squad when we get the injury room cleared.
    Would love to see Poldi and Santi in form for Nov 2nd when we face Liverpool – I’ve got a pub pass for that evening and going to watch the match with my Liverpool supporting brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Flamini I reckon is a bit like Park was for united.

Very important I have such bite in a big game but leave Arteta in against the minnows as we have more of a chance of steamrolling them.

gosplan wrote: »
    Flamini I reckon is a bit like Park was for united.

Very important I have such bite in a big game but leave Arteta in against the minnows as we have more of a chance of steamrolling them.

I think the reverse. Flamini would be better against the minnows as they may be tempted to intimidate some of our more creative players. Flamini would put them right on that score. And we need Arteta's nous for the better teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

out next thursday cant wait
    BUm_M6ICEAEXl6m.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Raf32 wrote: »
    out next thursday cant wait
    BUm_M6ICEAEXl6m.jpg

What a great title, sums him up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

When you think about it, how lucky were we in the 90's and early 2000's to progess from Wright to Bergkamp to Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

wawaman wrote: »
    When you think about it, how lucky were we in the 90's and early 2000's to progess from Wright to Bergkamp to Henry

Not luck, just Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Wenger only bought Henry though !

Wonder how long Bergkamp would have stuck around if we hadn't been so successful ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Wenger unquestionably made Bergkamp a better player though and revitalised he's career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hi Gooners, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you chaps can answer.

An Arsenal friend of mine has got tickets for himself and me to the Napoli game at the Emirates next Tuesday week. He goes to watch them every season and normally stays with his girlfriend not far from the stadium. Unfortunately that's not an option this time as she is back home in Ireland while moving house in London. Can you nice folk recommend a hotel or b&b in the area near the stadium, Finchley Park for example or anywhere close?

I've had a look on Tripadvisor but some reviews are very mixed - i would rather get advice on accommodation from you guys on here. We're not looking for the Ritz, any place for the £50-60 mark will suffice.

Also, I'm a Napoli fan, so would it be advisable to cover up any sky blue colours? My Gooners friend says that I would be ok to wear a scarf, that you are a fairly placid bunch! Is he gonna get me killed?!

Thanks!

I'd suggest trying airbnb.

• Advertisement

I'd suggest trying airbnb.

Thanks, where is that in relation to the stadium?

heh heh, airbnb is a website :)

It's for people to offer b'n'b type services or full apartments for short stays.

greendom wrote: »
    I think the reverse. Flamini would be better against the minnows as they may be tempted to intimidate some of our more creative players. Flamini would put them right on that score. And we need Arteta's nous for the better teams

If we had Xabi Alonso, I'd agree but I don't think Arteta is quite at that level to be able to play his game against really good midfields.

He's still awesome mind but he's not a top top CMF/DMF.

heh heh, airbnb is a website :)

It's for people to offer b'n'b type services or full apartments for short stays.

Ya I just realised that. It seems cheap, from as little as €30 per room.

Thanks for that.

If we had Xabi Alonso, I'd agree but I don't think Arteta is quite at that level to be able to play his game against really good midfields.

He's still awesome mind but he's not a top top CMF/DMF.

I'm looking back at the last 2 months of last season, where we barely conceded and where Kos and Merts worked so well together. So much of that was down to having Arteta's positioning and his organisational abilities in front of them. I don't think we've looked anything like as solid this season without him.

I'm looking back at the last 2 months of last season, where we barely conceded and where Kos and Merts worked so well together. So much of that was down to having Arteta's positioning and his organisational abilities in front of them. I don't think we've looked anything like as solid this season without him.

Yeah but I'm specifically talking about playing City, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I'm specifically talking about playing City, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

We played Bayern Munich away and Man Utd at home in that period with that combination.

We looked very vulnerable against Sunderland last week without him, far more so than we did against those vastly superior teams.

Just saw we have Mike Dean on Sunday :mad:

article-2425617-1BEB0C3E000005DC-657_634x169.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

With our fullbacks bombing forward the whole time, it means our CBs have much more ground to cover than they would playing in most other teams. That means our CBs get isolated a lot, and that's when the majority of the individual mistakes happen, they have to gamble on winning it first time.

I like Flamini, but Arteta suits our system a lot better in this regard. Flamini covers a lot of ground but that means he tends to get sucked into the ball a bit too much. Arteta is much more likely to hold his ground and protect the space in front of the CBs, and even though he's not the traditional aggressive ball winner we've come to expect of most DMs, he's one of the best players at recovering possession in the premier league through both tackles and interceptions.

Arteta is probably the best DM in the league right now, but he's a victim of his own efficiency in this regard. Destroyers in the mould of Flamini/Tiote/Makelel etc. tend to make the highlight reels a lot more because they make much more last gasp tackles. Arteta has already won the ball back before it's gotten into the dangerous areas so there's nothing to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

With our fullbacks bombing forward the whole time, it means our CBs have much more ground to cover than they would playing in most other teams. That means our CBs get isolated a lot, and that's when the majority of the individual mistakes happen, they have to gamble on winning it first time.

I like Flamini, but Arteta suits our system a lot better in this regard. Flamini covers a lot of ground but that means he tends to get sucked into the ball a bit too much. Arteta is much more likely to hold his ground and protect the space in front of the CBs, and even though he's not the traditional aggressive ball winner we've come to expect of most DMs, he's one of the best players at recovering possession in the premier league through both tackles and interceptions.

Arteta is probably the best DM in the league right now, but he's a victim of his own efficiency in this regard. Destroyers in the mould of Flamini/Tiote/Makelel etc. tend to make the highlight reels a lot more because they make much more last gasp tackles. Arteta has already won the ball back before it's gotten into the dangerous areas so there's nothing to talk about.

I'd agree 100% with that, but as things stand for Sunday, start flamini and then introduce Arteta as a sub. Arteta needs to regain some fitness and as a comeback game needs to be brought on from the bench. Looking forward though, ye, you're right arteta is more suited to our style but flamini will prove to be a valuable acquisition over the course if the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just saw we have Mike Dean on Sunday :mad:

article-2425617-1BEB0C3E000005DC-657_634x169.jpg

Them stats are just unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Them stats are just unbelievable

that doesn't include the wigan game at the end of last season

up to a staggering 12.5% when it's counted :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Quote from todays Guardian. Not great reading

Wenger was coy when asked if he might renew interest in Wayne Rooney if the Manchester United forward does not extend his contract at Old Trafford. "I will wait now until December to see what we need in the squad," Wenger said. "We spoke about Bendtner, Yaya Sanogo, Giroud. If the three do well, I am in no need to buy any striker."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/21/arsenal-mesut-ozil-arsene-wenger

newman10 wrote: »

wouldn't pay too much attention to it

around the time of the willian transfer i think it was, mourinho said something like 'every coach always says they're happy with what the have, but we are lying, we are always looking to improve'

most people know that but it's not that often a manager comes out and states it
    that's all wengers' doing & at the same time giving an incentive to those at the club to do well

Wenger was coy when asked if he might renew interest in Wayne Rooney if the Manchester United forward does not extend his contract at Old Trafford. "I will wait now until December to see what we need in the squad," Wenger said. "We spoke about Bendtner, Yaya Sanogo, Giroud. If the three do well, I am in no need to buy any striker."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/21/arsenal-mesut-ozil-arsene-wenger

Why not good reading ? He's giving them an opportunity to prove themselves, giving them a challenge.

for anyone who has sky:

can you see/do you have on demand content from the sports pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He's hardly gonna turn around and say, "Yes, we must sign Rooney in January!".
    It'd be a kick in the teeth to Giroud who has been playing well for us and it'd mean virtually no game time for Sanogo.
    If he does want to sign a new striker in January then he is best keeping quiet about it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I'd agree 100% with that, but as things stand for Sunday, start flamini and then introduce Arteta as a sub. Arteta needs to regain some fitness and as a comeback game needs to be brought on from the bench. Looking forward though, ye, you're right arteta is more suited to our style but flamini will prove to be a valuable acquisition over the course if the season.

And I agree completely with you Roddy, I'm not calling for him to start, it's just many fans don't seem to fully appreciate how good a DM he is, and how important he is to our system (for example we would have won against Villa, quite easily I suspect, if Arteta was in the side). Just trying to spread the Arteta love now he is back. :D

As an aside, from reading my post last night it sounds like I'm quite critical of Flamini. I'm not at all, and there are some things he does a lot better than Arteta. For example, dropping into the defensive line when it gets stretched, and telling the full backs when they can and can't get forward. He's a brilliant asset to have, and it'll be great to have the competition between the two of them for the spot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Why not good reading ? He's giving them an opportunity to prove themselves, giving them a challenge.

Happy with Bendtner :confused:

If he scores say 6+ goals between now and Jan he'll be delighted with him. If he performs badly I'm sure he'll be looking to bring someone in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Relevance of this? Its September, there is no benefit whatsoever in saying we're lacking a striker. It doesn't help us in the transfer market and it doesn't help the confidence of our current squad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement