Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Can't see us making a tilt for the league.

I can see us finishing with more points than last year so hopefully that will equal move a place or two up league compared to last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think that if we correctly strengthen our forward line then we're capable. I'm at a loss to identify available players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

FearDark wrote: »
    We're up next on MOTD

...more Michael Owen, sick to death of him, he's everywhere and he's awful.

the BBC panel in motd has been brutal for years. Also they really rush the analysis and even the highlights seem sped through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

the BBC panel in motd has been brutal for years. Also they really rush the analysis and even the highlights seem sped through.

I agree. Its awful and no doubt they'll slag Arsenal as usual in the analysis.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

...more Michael Owen, sick to death of him, he's everywhere and he's awful.

Him and Shearer are both awful but there both Golden Boys of English football.

I don't know about anyone else but I find Michael Owens voice seriously irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Raf32 wrote: »
    depends where we are in january and what he brings in i feel.

We need to get through Black November first, we always do poorly in November.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

That really was scummy from huth.

Ah jasus I see BT style of having players simulate the game has rubbed off on Shearer and MOTD all they were missing was the mini pitch.

Was talking to a lad in work today a Liverpool fan who kept saying Arsenal are looking good this season apart from the same old weaknesses as always showing up, can't defend to save there lives, at which point I said you mean the same team who had the second best defensive record in the league last season :confused:.

He looked a bit baffled for a minute or two then went for the same argument again because he had nothing else, I told him to stop listening to Dunphy and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm feeling positive, the top 3, Und, City and Chelsea are in flux so its the best chance we've had, and Özil makes it attainable.

• Advertisement

Just saw a pic of Özil's missus- no wonder he's a great first touch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Just realised my Arsenal shirt doesn't have the vents on the sides.

the players jerseys are slightly different to what you buy in the shops
    crest & nike sign are printed on i think & the there's that thing on between the shoulder & sleeve
    they might be of a lighter material too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

bad2dabone wrote: »
    So realistically can we mount a title challenge this season?

It all depends on injuries. First 11 fit for the majority of the season and we will be there or thereabouts. The problems arise when we start losing influential players for extended periods. We dont have the same depth the other top teams have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We don't have enough depth for a realistic challenge, look at our bench the last few games. Plus we usually fade in March when the cup fixture come fast and hard, and we have as tough as you can get series of league games from mid-March on this time around. Our squad is not big or good enough to handle that yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

jester77 wrote: »
    We don't have enough depth for a realistic challenge, look at our bench the last few games. Plus we usually fade in March when the cup fixture come fast and hard, and we have as tough as you can get series of league games from mid-March on this time around. Our squad is not big or good enough to handle that yet.

Potentially we have enough depth but as someone said, it's all about injuries.

We still had a first 11 good enough for any match the other day and we were missing Walcott, Cazorla, Pod, Arteta and Chambo.

I mean add one more and that's a really good front six that we didn't need on the weekend. Would anyone really mind seeing a teamsheet for a premier league match with all of those players in it?

IMO the squad is plenty good except at striker which may come back to bite Wenger.

We need to get lucky and avoid long term injuries or something like 2 CB's being out for a while.

If we get lucky with injuries, it may be something like now where we can ride it out and rest players. Caz is out but probably needs the rest and he's not essential now. That kind of thing we can live with.

Really can't wait to see Walcott, Ozil and Cazorla in a line behind Giroud though.

'Want the ball? Really? Come and get it. Here! No, here! Now it's over here! Oh look, Theo's clean through ...'

... Argh! Theo FFS!!!

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It all depends on injuries. First 11 fit for the majority of the season and we will be there or thereabouts.

Who is this first 11 you speak of???

We have a first 16!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Think it's too early for a tithe challenge I just want too see an improvemenon last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd agree this year will come too early. However I don't think it's unrealistic for us to expect a decent run in the FA Cup and Champions League. With regard to the latter I think belief has played a huge part in it; the last 3 years we've beaten Barcelona, AC Milan and Bayern when the pressure was mostly off - we're obviously good enough to beat them so we should be thinking that from the get go. The addition of Ozil should get us more into that line of thinking.

I think January is an important month for us; we need a signing like Ozil again I think. Personally I think Suarez would be ideal in that he can play on the flanks too but the whole sorry saga will probably have warned the club off him. Given Arteta and Flamini 32 and 30 this season we probably need to look at getting in someone like Lars Bender again. With Ozil, Per and Poldi its going to be a lot easier to attract top German talent so the likes of Draxler and Bender should be more easily convinced to join us.

If the Ozil signing is the a sign of things to come then the next couple of seasons are going to be very exciting if you're an Arsenal fan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Soups123 wrote: »
    I think that's harsh he will be a great player 4 them in time
    I'm not convinced by Fellaini at all; he's not a bad player by any means but I'd a little surprised if he ever really holds down a starting spot at United in the long term. I just don't think he's technically good enough to regularly play central midfield for a team with their ambitions.

• Advertisement

He's looked out of place in the United midfield, but it's still early days in his career there. I think he was far from their first choice signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

bad2dabone wrote: »
    He's looked out of place in the United midfield, but it's still early days in his career there. I think he was far from their first choice signing.

107th apparently

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Fellaini would have been a better signing for us than he has been so far for united, they needed a more creative player. But Flamini turned out to be the bargain of the century so we don't need him now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

cson wrote: »
    I'd agree this year will come too early. However I don't think it's unrealistic for us to expect a decent run in the FA Cup and Champions League. With regard to the latter I think belief has played a huge part in it; the last 3 years we've beaten Barcelona, AC Milan and Bayern when the pressure was mostly off - we're obviously good enough to beat them so we should be thinking that from the get go. The addition of Ozil should get us more into that line of thinking.

I think January is an important month for us; we need a signing like Ozil again I think. Personally I think Suarez would be ideal in that he can play on the flanks too but the whole sorry saga will probably have warned the club off him. Given Arteta and Flamini 32 and 30 this season we probably need to look at getting in someone like Lars Bender again. With Ozil, Per and Poldi its going to be a lot easier to attract top German talent so the likes of Draxler and Bender should be more easily convinced to join us.

If the Ozil signing is the a sign of things to come then the next couple of seasons are going to be very exciting if you're an Arsenal fan.

We really do need to strengthen in January some more. Especially if it allows us to be any way involved in a title challenge.

Suarez should play like crap for Liverpool til then, force his way out and then come to us and kill it for the rest of the season to ensure he's set for the WC... probably best not to get involved in all that madness again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

cson wrote: »

Lars bender's contract will only have a year left on it next summer so I'd fully expect us to make a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Screw this we are not ready to challenge. We are top of the league and utd and chelsea look like much.

I say we win the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Fellaini would have been a better signing for us than he has been so far for united, they needed a more creative player. But Flamini turned out to be the bargain of the century so we don't need him now anyway.

I was a bit dubious about the Flamini signing. But he was excellent yesterday. He is constantly encouraging everyone around him. And seems to be barking orders at them too :pac:

Arteta is goina have a tough time getting back into the team. Great to have him as back up tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Raf32 wrote: »

Nightmare if he is out for a couple of games.

Hope we play a lot of young playerS in the CC this week. The whole first team needs a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Isn't that how it all started with Rosicky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

jonny666 wrote: »
    Nightmare if he is out for a couple of games.

Hope we play a lot of young playerS in the CC this week. The whole first team needs a rest.

Arteta, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal and Bendtner will be supplemented with the likes of Ryo, Gnabry and the youths I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Random question. I've always sat in the clock end upper until this seson where I am in the west stand. So until this year I never noticed the banners on the clock end for obvious reasons but how long has the Athlone gunners banner been up?

greendom wrote: »
    Arteta, Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal and Bendtner will be supplemented with the likes of Ryo, Gnabry and the youths I would think.

Hopefully. I dont wanna see Giroud even on the subs bench!

Will West Brom play a full team or include a few youngsters ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Hopefully. I dont wanna see Giroud even on the subs bench!

Will West Brom play a full team or include a few youngsters ?

I doubt any of their players have played the 10 games in the last month (including internationals) that most of ours have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Can't see us going big in jan again, players won't wanna move in World Cup year

Stop gap in jan and go big again in summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

To be honest, we don't want to be buying in January if we can avoid it. You always over pay, and most players take until the rest of the season before they are up to speed properly anyway given the team's style is already settled at that point (unless your Arshavin and do everything opposite ways).

It would be better to get Bendtner back to the level where he can contribute again... afterall he should be motivated enough to get the move he wants at the end of the season. Plus, he's the style of player we need to cover Giroud anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Viviano
    Jenk----Verm----Youth CB---Monreal
    Arteta----Frimpong
    Gnarby
    Eisfeld
    Miyaichi
    Bendtner

And a bench full of kids. No-one from our first 14 should even be in the squad.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was a bit dubious about the Flamini signing. But he was excellent yesterday. He is constantly encouraging everyone around him. And seems to be barking orders at them too :pac:

Arteta is goina have a tough time getting back into the team. Great to have him as back up tho.

I actually think we'll see arteta playing further forward than usual over the next few weeks since wenger wants to rest Jack.

I wouldn't say so... if anyone gets pushed forward it'll be Rambo, like yesterday after Arteta was brought on.

I wouldn't say so... if anyone gets pushed forward it'll be Rambo, like yesterday after Arteta was brought on.

Yeah I agree, I meant further forward in the sense that he wouldn't be playing in his usual role.

• Advertisement

Ah, fairy nuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Away at West Brom will be a tricky fixture for our young lads, I honestly thing Wenger will play something stronger than what we imagine he will play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Saturday's evening game is on Sky Sports 1 -- Swansea v Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Saturday's evening game is on Sky Sports 1 -- Swansea v Arsenal.

I wonder is the League Cup game being televised here or abroad? I remember there being no coverage of our third round game last season apart from radio commentary on the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just back from holidays lads must say it was very enjoyable watching us win 2 of our games at a canter :D I have to hold my hands up and say I unfairly wrote off young Ramsey he is a different class what a revelation he has been the boss has to be applauded for keeping the faith in him. Top of the league too SUPER ARSENAL :D

I really think the whole idea of us challenging will depend on how we do vrs the big teams.

They're too good to not improve on what they've shown so far.

Looking forward to some massive games.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I actually think we'll see arteta playing further forward than usual over the next few weeks since wenger wants to rest Jack.

If Walcott is out I can see arteta starting on the wing! We'll have no choice really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If Walcott is out I can see arteta starting on the wing! We'll have no choice really

Why not Gnabry :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

gosplan wrote: »
    I really think the whole idea of us challenging will depend on how we do vrs the big teams.

They're too good to not improve on what they've shown so far.

Looking forward to some massive games.

I think most years the league is decided on how you deal with the smaller clubs - beat the teams you should. A lot of the big teams take points off each other.

A distinct lack of draws is a lot more important - provided you aren't losing 8+ games. Look at Arsenal finishing positions over the last ten years or so and the years we do well are the years we draw less - even if we lose more games.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Why not Gnabry :confused:

Forgot about him haha

I'd be worried about his tracking back against better teams then stoke. Gnabry did well yesterday but I don't think he should be starting too many games. I don't know will arteta do a better job tho didn't he used to play as a winger for Everon?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement