Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Gnabry was solid yesterday, didn't want to be too flashy in the first half, but came a bit more confident in the second. Miyachi is another option on the right. When Ox is back he'll be good there too. But Theo won't be out for too long i'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

jonny666 wrote: »
    If Walcott is out I can see arteta starting on the wing! We'll have no choice really

Id rather have Arteta in the middle and have Jack out on the wing, not ideal but would be alot better than Arteta out there, at least Wilshere will take on his man and has that acceleration over 5 yards that can take him by the full back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jaysus Arteta as a winger :pac:

No offence or anything but just, no.

Its Gnabry/Miyaichi's opportunity to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Rumours coming out of Arsenal suggest that Mathieu Flamini was cautioned by the FA over suggestions that he threatened to blind Stoke defender Marc Wilson.

We can’t verify how much factual basis there is to the suggestions. Certainly the Frenchman was seen having words with Wilson while pointing to his eyes during yesterday’s game.

Wilson had just fouled Jack Wilshere, and not for the first time.

It is claimed that Flamini told Wilson: “Do it again and I will blind you.”

The FA reportedly warned Flamini about his conduct.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Fcuking legend :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

I love this man so much right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Just reading a stoke forum, wow they really hate Ramsey Wenger and arsenal.

They can't wait for us to play them at the britainna so they can abuse Ramsey and Wenger.

What really annoyed them was Ramsey putting his fingers to his lips when he scored, they reckon he was doing it to Shawcross. Their a mad bunch altogether, I would link the forum but I think its against the charter?

He's been deadly since he came back. Loving flamini.

And

Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

They can't wait for us to play them at the britainna so they can abuse Ramsey and Wenger.

What really annoyed them was Ramsey putting his fingers to his lips when he scored, they reckon he was doing it to Shawcross. Their a mad bunch altogether, I would link the forum but I think its against the charter?

I think I know the one you're talking about. They're insane. Now that their team is playing football they're beyond confused as to how to behave.

• Advertisement

Just read one too. Cavemen. Freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

They are not called the Orcs for nothing!

I will take any punishment coming, what is said had to be said. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Just had a look there...

captcha.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Just had a look there myself.

I noticed one bit where a certain person called Arsenal fans imbeciles for "Booing Shawcross for every touch".

In another thread, he said he couldn't wait for Ramsey to come to "the brit" so he could boo him non-stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Stoke should be in Rugby League

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Sorry to be the one to break this news but Walcott's injury is apparently worse than originally feared.

Expected to be out for 2 weeks according to the Mirror:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenals-injured-theo-walcott-could-2296305

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Flamini
    Arteta
    Ozil - Ramsey - Wilshire
    Giroud

Throw in the Gnabry option and it's not too bad.

A couple more wins before the international break would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I wonder is the League Cup game being televised here or abroad? I remember there being no coverage of our third round game last season apart from radio commentary on the player.

Al Jazeera are showing it so streams will be plentiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

With Wally out I really hope it doesn't mean Ramsey on the wing. I think it's most likely but wenger playing gnabry there Sunday gives me some hope it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Is there a press conference today where we might find whos in and whos out for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Gnabry should def get his chance, play him Wednesday and again on Saturday

Be great for his development

Team tomorrow

Vivianio

Jenks verm. Ajayi. Moneral
    Frimpong. Arteta
    Gnabry. Eisfield. Ryo
    Bendy boots

Maybe stick a few seniors on the bench but even at that I wouldn't be pushed

• Advertisement

i'd be happy enough with that team. Last season i wanted us to win the League Cup just so we could stop folks saying 8 years blah blah blah but this season we've got bigger fish to fry. An FA cup or the League should be our targets. And if not this season for the league then next.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had forgotten about frimpong, would love to see him get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is it wrong to be kind of excited to see nicky play and see how he gets on? :pac:
    has a serious amount of talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is it wrong to be kind of excited to see nicky play and see how he gets on? :pac:

Does he really though?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Does he really though?
    Don't think so. His touch is shíte; if he'd had the right attitude and worked on it (like say, Theo has) he could have been a helluva player. He's a beast physically; great in the air, quick and strong, and he has great movement and an eye for bringing other players into the game, but he didn't develop the other areas of his game, and it's too late now.

In 1995, was there anywhere else you could have gone? Arsenal wasn't as big then as it is now.

There were several options. Germany was in the picture as well, but I just couldn't see myself there. The thought of playing for Bayern, it just … didn't fit. And after Italy, Spain didn't fit either. My mind was set on England. Man United weren't interested and I wasn't going to go to somewhere like Newcastle or Liverpool because of the travelling from Holland. Spurs was mentioned, and that had been Hoddle's team, but even then I considered Arsenal to be a bit above Spurs. I'm not sure why.

The funny thing is, I really didn't know anything about Arsenal's reputation at the time for playing "boring" football [under George Graham]. I'd seen a big article about the club in Voetbal International, the Dutch magazine, and it sounded good. They seemed to have a settled, stable team, with a lot of players of a certain age. I thought it would be easier for me to come into a team like that. I just had a good feeling about them.

They had done well in Europe, too: they'd won the Cup Winners' Cup in 1994 then been in the final again the following year. For clubs in Holland, doing well in Europe meant getting past the quarter-finals. So I thought: "Yeah, it's a big club, it's in London, and it's the way I want to play football. And Highbury is known for being a nice ground as well. Let's see what happens." I never expected to be there 11 years! Not at all! To tell you the truth, when I was at Inter I was thinking of playing until I was about 28 and then going back to Holland. Just take a few years in England … But it all changed once I was in London.

At the end of June I went with my wife to England for the first time, in the Channel Tunnel. When I arrived the contract talks were still going on, and the medical had to be done. We stayed in the Four Seasons hotel and Gary Lewin [the Arsenal chief physio] picked us up and took us to the stadium. He was unbelievable the way he helped me in my first season. He sorted out everything, he was always friendly, jolly and funny, and he knew everything about the club. And then I saw Highbury for the first time … wow! This was football! I loved all the houses around it, then you turn the corner and there's the stadium! That's not Dutch, nor Italian; you don't see it in Europe. It's just typically English. And you see the Marble Halls of course.

So I remember coming up the stairs and then I met my agent. My brother Wim was there as well. And I saw in the room two people from Inter who were finalising the deal. It struck me: "I'm a thing you buy and sell. I'm a commodity." It was a strange feeling. Then I go up the stairs and I hear there's probably going to be a press conference. They are just talking about money and this and that. And then that was all done, and they opened the doors to the pitch. Nature! The grass! It was perfect. As soon as I saw the pitch, I thought: "This is fantastic!"

After the press conference we get back to the hotel. The deal's done, and we're in our room relaxing. As normal, I look up the sports headlines on teletext. We get the BBC in Holland so I know about Ceefax. I call up Page 301 and I'm shocked. The first two lines are in huge letters: "BERGKAMP JOINS ARSENAL." For the first time it hits me: "Woah! What's going on here?" I'm in this big country. I'm in London. I'm in this huge strange city where they drive on the left and … I'm on teletext. Me! They must rate me here, they still expect me to be like Van Basten or Gullit. I don't think of myself like that. Quickly, I go to Page 302, the football page, and there it is in more detail: "DUTCH STRIKER GOES FOR £7.5 MILLION." It was the first time it really hit what people expected of me. I looked at Henrita: "This is amazing! I have to step up."

After Italy I had so many doubts. So many. Even when I played well, I always had to defend myself. And now you are in a hotel room and you see that. Physically it does something to you.

Through your spine you get a feeling and you get a little bit emotional as well. And you look at your wife and your wife looks at you and you feel: "Wow, this is unbelievable!"

(c) 2013 by Dennis Bergkamp. Extracted from STILLNESS AND SPEED by Dennis Bergkamp to be published by Simon & Schuster UK Ltd at £20 on Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Has Akpom played for the senior side yet? I've been hearing great things about him from a friend over in London who goes to youth games.

Also where is Joel Campbell? He was out on loan and looked pretty impressive at Betis last year. I thought he would be a fringe player at worst this year for Arsenal.

Chuba's played a handful of minutes this season vs Sunderland and he played well in the pre season tour.
    Joel Campbell is at Olympiakos on loan for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Raf32 wrote: »
    Hell to the know, its the most wonderful time of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I find it really funny that Bergkamp used to look up football on teletext!

• Advertisement

zp_181799210_SM_1772_F_9CFAA63_2324.jpg

ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mert looks sad :(

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Mert looks sad :(
    All the kids have a new German to fawn over from a distance in a slightly creepy way (yes, I'm looking at you, Kristoffer Olsson...).

Anyway, hope we line up with something like this tomorrow:

................ Qui Gon Jinn
    .......Gnabry ... Eisfeld .... Miyaichi
    .............Arteta ..... Flamini
    Monreal Vermaelen Jenkinson Bellerin
    ................... Viviano

I find it really funny that Bergkamp used to look up football on teletext!

ATTENTION ALL INTERNETTERS!!!!....

Teletext is cool again.........God has used it ;)

and god used teletext and he saw that it was good.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Used to use teletext myself, was the only way I could keep track of scores on a Saturday if I didn't go home for the weekend.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Used to use teletext myself, was the only way I could keep track of scores on a Saturday if I didn't go home for the weekend.

page 220 :pac:

page 220 :pac:

Dang right! I was wearin' an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Walcott out for next month's England internationals too. He is to have an abdominal operation so it looks like about 6 weeks. he got the injury waqrming up.
    We're cursed with silly injuries.

I'm struggling to understand how someone can do their abs so badly in a warm-up session that they need an operation with a six-week recovery period...

Walcott out for next month's England internationals too. He is to have an abdominal operation so it looks like about 6 weeks. he got the injury waqrming up.
    We're cursed with silly injuries.

Disaster. Giroud the only fit senior forward player!! :eek:

Big opportunity for Gnabry I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big opportunity for Gnabry I suppose.

Very poor management of the club that we now have little or no cover up front despite a 3 month window. Relying on young unproven lads is complete madness. We should have got someone in before the window shut.

I don't believe Gnabry is fit for the first team as yet, he needs time.
    If Giroud is injured now our season could be over because of lack of signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Very poor management of the club that we now have little or no cover up front despite a 3 month window. Relying on young unproven lads is complete madness. We should have got someone in before the window shut.

I don't think you can plan for our 4 wingers in Cazorla, Ox, Walcott & Poldi to all be injured at the same time. It's just bad luck at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As dvemail said no club could for see that many injuries to there attacking line up.

Plus I do think Gnabry is ready to make that step up he showed on the weekend he is more than ready to play first team football, the only issue is having to rely on him should he have an off game or feel a bit un nerved which can happen at his age.

Gnabry's ready for the step up. Played within himself at the weekend - mostly because i'm sure he didn't want to mess up but he's got the talent and physically he's a man (look at how he got on with business after Huth bodychecked him).

I'm more concerned about the amount of injuries we suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Gnabry's ready for the step up. Played within himself at the weekend - mostly because i'm sure he didn't want to mess up but he's got the talent and physically he's a man (look at how he got on with business after Huth bodychecked him).

I'm more concerned about the amount of injuries we suffer.

Me too. There's just been too many injuries over a prolonged period to put it down to bad luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

dvemail wrote: »
    I don't think you can plan for our 4 wingers in Cazorla, Ox, Walcott & Poldi to all be injured at the same time. It's just bad luck at this stage.

Wenger saying that they are nowhere near ready for a return.

Conflicting reports about Santi not back before next international break (mid October) from Wenger and then reports on www.justarsenal.com about him being back for the home game against Napoli.

Maybe it's the Mayo curse :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Disaster. Giroud the only fit senior forward player!! :eek:

Another disaster - Bendtner is back :eek: Was on the bench for the Stoke game, could start tomorrow night

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement