Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Arsenal's last 21 matches:

WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWWW.

I would say "Aston Villa of all people to ruin our run" but they did us a huge favour today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

hero :D
    BVRVJChIUAAzigv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Arsenal's last 21 matches:

WWWWWDWDWWWLWWWWWWWWW.

I would say "Aston Villa of all people to ruin our run" but they did us a huge favour today.
    Just think in 12 matches time we can get ride of the dirty L and have all W's :)

Seriously though, great reaction from the whole team after the Villa defeat at the opening day. I think we're finally doing what United used to do, not always playing our best football but still grinding out a win.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Had a little chuckle to myself at Jamie Redknapps post-match comments:

"I still think Arsenal are short 1 or 2 players to win the title"

then literally 2 seconds later

"They've still so much quality to come back into the squad. Cazorla, Podolski, Walcott, Ox......."

People saying it's only 6 games in - yes, valid point, however an 8 point head-start on Man United in a now 32 game season is a lot to make up for that United side, which is clearly struggling. Not to mention a handy little +6 goal difference headstart.

I know this is a borderline unthinkable comment and probably a bit hasty, but i genuinely can't see United filling the top 4 this season. They over-achieved massively last season relative to their squad on display and the reason for that is now gone. Top 6 for sure but on current evidence 5th or 6th.

Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool/Spurs for me is the top 4, with the Gunners shading it for the title ahead of Chelski.

i think we will know a lot more for both teams after the united game in a few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I still think its too soon to make big calls like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    i think we will know a lot more for both teams after the united game in a few weeks!

Aye those type of matches will be the benchmark to judge where our team is at. We've had one already against Sp*rs and managed a win.
    I'm trying to stay level headed over our position in the league but its hard not to get excited over the possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger's pre match comments about being well prepared for Swansea and watching how the game panned out really show a change of emphasis. Wheras before we would just have gone out to win a game our way and feck how the opposition line up, we now really prepare to negate the other team's style. This means that even when we aren't playing well we can still win matches. Long may it continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

greendom wrote: »
    Wenger's pre match comments about being well prepared for Swansea and watching how the game panned out really show a change of emphasis. Wheras before we would just have gone out to win a game our way and feck how the opposition line up, we now really prepare to negate the other team's style. This means that even when we aren't playing well we can still win matches. Long may it continue!

Its not the prettiest at times but, honestly I dont give a fcuk. We are getting the wins and thats all that counts

Could get used to this.

BVRgT2TIAAAY1Gw.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

... And to think, we haven't even seen santi and ozil play together yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

... And to think, we haven't even seen santi and ozil play together yet! :)

And ozil is playing shît

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

And ozil is playing shît

He set up 3 goals last weekend, hard playing that bad although he wasn't at his best today. I was expecting us to concede at the end like so many times in the past but we held on well. As was said before the game, If Arsenal want to challenge near the top of the league you need to win at places like Swansea.

And ozil is playing shît

Had no outlet to pass to today. Arsenal had a gameplan which tbh made out attack look toothless for the main part. Didn't want to rush numbers forward and lose out in the counter.
    Ozil was more or less a right winger for the night.

• Advertisement

And ozil is playing shît

Bit harsh? He had a quiet game today but even at that was involved in the build up for a goal and keeps defenders occupied with clever run into space.

By his own epic standards he's not on top form yet but did anybody expect him to be? Give it til Xmas he'll be well up to speed and buzzing.

Mesut Özil ‏@MesutOzil1088 1h Three more points. I am overhappy. #gunners #afc #arsenalfc

Expand

He is too happy. Better upset him somewhat just so he can be happy. :D

I think he has been shît since his debut, his assists came from set pieces

Not adding much to attack or defence at the moment

But it's a new league a new team it's expected and I'd keep playing him just pointing out he is playing bad

But we're winning and him been world class means he is gonna get better a lot Better do things are only going to get better

dvemail wrote: »
    Mesut Özil ‏@MesutOzil1088 1h Three more points. I am overhappy. #gunners #afc #arsenalfc

Expand

He is too happy. Better upset him somewhat just so he can be happy. :D
    I'd be willing to sleep with his wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ozil wasnt great today but the lack of wingers is a problem. He has no one running to make his lovely passes to!

He should have buried his chance tho.

• Advertisement

I'd be willing to sleep with his wife.

That could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If he's **** and still making 2 assists I'll take it.

He'll settle of course and be a leader. I'm not worried about that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think he has been shît since his debut, his assists came from set pieces

Not adding much to attack or defence at the moment

But it's a new league a new team it's expected and I'd keep playing him just pointing out he is playing bad

But we're winning and him been world class means he is gonna get better a lot Better do things are only going to get better

He would have had more assists had Theo and Giroud not made a balls of the chances he created for them. He was poor enough today but overall he has done okay. He hasn't set the world alight but he will soon - class player. We've a lot of injuries in midfield and even in the front 3 so not alone is he getting used to a new club and new team mates but also an unsettled starting midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People saying it's only 6 games in - yes, valid point, however an 8 point head-start on Man United in a now 32 game season is a lot to make up for that United side, which is clearly struggling. Not to mention a handy little +6 goal difference headstart.

I know this is a borderline unthinkable comment and probably a bit hasty, but i genuinely can't see United filling the top 4 this season. They over-achieved massively last season relative to their squad on display and the reason for that is now gone. Top 6 for sure but on current evidence 5th or 6th.

Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Liverpool/Spurs for me is the top 4, with the Gunners shading it for the title ahead of Chelski.

I wouldn't get into stuff about them finishing outside the top four but yes, we're looking good to stay ahead of them.

I'm basing this on them having overachieved last season and being a lot weaker without Fergie. We're doing much better this season and have a little more maturity and a Ozil.

That said, it was, what? 19 points?

I dunno, if it was Fergie I wouldn't feel confidant about it but it's not.

On the other hand, we've had way easier fixtures.

Still, looking more and more like we won't have to wait for the final whistle on the final day to confirm us being in the CL..

By the way, does anyone else every time we win in the league, get a pit more gutted that we didn't beat Villa on the opening day. Yeah I'm satisfied but a 5pt lead??

Way way too early to be makin predictions yet, it's nice where we are but not going to read much into it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Way way too early to be makin predictions yet, it's nice where we are but not going to read much into it yet

It is also hard to keep the feet firmly on the ground and not let yourself run off into the clouds with how the league is looking now.

If were still up and in this position come Christmas then we can really start to believe.

But still think we might be short a CF Giroud has an off like today and we have no other options. Just luckily and gladly for us our midfield and Ramsey can hopefully keep chipping in with goals when he does have an off day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Whos top :D

A certain fraud in Manchester may be calling his dutch journalist friend & throwing manager, team, squad under a bus..& then claim wasnt him

Seen this tweet :):)

Ramsey is after making more tackles than any midfielder and scoring note goals

Complete midfielder??

You know it's a shame the Premiership isn't on RTE anymore would have loving to seen the lads on there talk about Arsenal being top of the league and United currently struggling.

They'd be fcuked really be hard to talk down Arsenal at the moment which would kill them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ramsey is after making more tackles than any midfielder and scoring note goals

Complete midfielder??

Who ??

A certain fraud in Manchester may be calling his dutch journalist friend & throwing manager, team, squad under a bus..& then claim wasnt him

Seen this tweet :):)

Huh:confused: what tweet?

It is also hard to keep the feet firmly on the ground and not let yourself run off into the clouds with how the league is looking now.

If were still up and in this position come Christmas then we can really start to believe.

But still think we might be short a CF Giroud has an off like today and we have no other options. Just luckily and gladly for us our midfield and Ramsey can hopefully keep chipping in with goals when he does have an off day.

Giroud was grand today. Instrumental in the first, assisted the second. Put one on a plate for Ozil. Also missed an OK **** and came close to doing his near post run and connecting with a Gibbs ball in the first half.

I get what you're saying, that you've seen him play better, but for a poor away performance where both teams were really cagey, that was pretty good.

Huh:confused: what tweet?

Darrenarsenal is digging out rvp I'm quiet enjoying it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Not sure we are strong enough to win the league but it is very satisfying to be top. I do feel united are going to find it a very tough season to stay in the top four, they won't retain their title. I still feel City and Chelsea are favourites ahead of us over the whole season.

So anybody else notice that Wenger is doing to Wilshere what he did to Ramsey last year? Playing him on the wing when it clearly doesn't suit him.
    Obviously we have nobody else to play there but maybe it will give Jack the drive he needs to win his spot back in the centre of the park. Because as it stands, if one of Cazorla or Poldi come back i reckon Jack would be on the bench.
    But at the same time he just needs time to get back to his good self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Arsenal till I die, Im arsenal till I die, I know I am, I say I am Im Arsenal till die

(Im also quite drunk right now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Arsenal till I die, Im arsenal till I die, I know I am, I say I am Im Arsenal till die

(Im also quite drunk right now)

Barca/Spain/Brazil/Chelsea/United all weep at their loss.

Panthro wrote: »
    Barca/Spain/Brazil/Chelsea/United all weep at their loss.
    The-Bitter-Pill.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

[Removed Image]

I apologise, I've mistaken you for someone else.
    :)

Panthro wrote: »
    I apologise, I've mistaken you for someone else.
    :)
    No worries It would take more than that to bring me down

We are top of the league and having a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Delighted with the way things have gone on recent weeks and being top of a very nice feeling indeed. That said I think some posters may be being ahead of themselves a little. I still believe man city are a much better team than us and chelsea are v well capable of pushing on as well. An injury to Giroud or a couple of injuries in defence leaves is very light. I can only imagine the likes of giroud, ramsey, mert must be feeling pretty tired having played so much football already. When the games mount up and when things don't go our way will we still be capable of grinding out the win? I'm not so sure

i know its a reach and wouldnt happen but wouldnt diego costa be some signing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

If anyone hasn't listened to the last two Second Captains football podcasts where they discuss Dennis Bergkamp and his autobiography I'd reccommend them.

The bit where Ken Early is talking about that goal against Newcastle is excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

gosplan wrote: »

He has history for that:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Anyone know the story behind Podolski and Cazorla supporting Clare?

Anyone know the story behind Podolski and Cazorla supporting Clare?

Apparently....
    Although it has not been confirmed yet, it is believed that Arsenal first team physio Declan Lynch, who played rugby for Shannon and worked with the Ireland Under-20s and London Irish, is the inspiration behind the photo and tweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Massive result considering how the other teams got on I don't think you could get a better week in terms of results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Serge Gnabry is the second youngest Premier League goalscorer for Arsenal (18 Years 76 Days), behind Cesc Fabregas (17 years 113 days). #afc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement