Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Were waiting patiently Lukas!

Yes please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Yes please.

Another midfielder? Surely he has to buy a striker in January. Theres a serious lack of wingers too, although gnabry might fill one of those slots. A 4th centre back or utility defender would also be a higher priority. In fact centre mid is the one position where a signing probably isn't needed.

Another midfielder? Surely he has to buy a striker in January. Theres a serious lack of wingers too, although gnabry might fill one of those slots. A 4th centre back or utility defender would also be a higher priority. In fact centre mid is the one position where a signing probably isn't needed.

I agree, just delighted to be linked with big players again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

How many crosses and corners did Szcz come and claim yesterday. Was great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Have to say, when Giroud fell to the ground just before half-time and Bendy boots started warming up, my heart stopped!!!!
    Great win yesterday and with many first teamers out. I think we are missing Walcott, Cazorla (and I'd say Rosicky too) which makes it an even bigger achievement.
    As people said, these are the games that are important. We may able to lose some points in the big games with lesser impact overall.
    I think the international break will be good for us, so some players can rest a bit and have some players back from injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Worth a visit over to the Utd thread......meltdown......people stopping supporting soccer and all....at each others throats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Worth a visit over to the Utd thread......meltdown......people stopping supporting soccer and all....at each others throats!!

I'm liking this tranquil Japenese garden atmosphere in here tbh. Had enough of that bickering sh*te over the summer!

HazDanz wrote: »
    I'm liking this tranquil Japenese garden atmosphere in here tbh. Had enough of that bickering sh*te over the summer!

Here's hoping we remain like that until May 2014!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bender would be great. Arteta's getting on now.

What we should be doing these days now tgat we're minted is replacing players like him with great players in their prime (Bender) rather than promoting the next kid in the team into a position (Coq).

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »

If Wrigleys were wondering which ambassador they could use going forward now that Fergie is gone then there is their answer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Does anyone else think we should be looking for an out and out left winger or are we sticking with this false left winger type in Cazorla. Would rather Santi in the middle myself.

dvemail wrote: »
    Does anyone else think we should be looking for an out and out left winger or are we sticking with this false left winger type in Cazorla. Would rather Santi in the middle myself.

true, but then Özil would have to move to the wing, which is not good either.
    The way things stand now, I want Santi and Walcott back and see how the trio will work in a couple of games. Then we can see if we need something more.
    I would still consider another striker a priority. The fact that Bendtner is our back up for Giroud sends chills down my spine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Where do you put Özil in that case?

I don't think a real left winger would benefit us. I think a midfield of

---Ramsey
    Arteta
    Walcott----Özil----Cazorla

would be pretty ideal. With Wilshere, Ox, Podolski, Flamini, Rosicky and Gnabry as backup, we'd be very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Irish Aris wrote: »
    true, but then Özil would have to move to the wing, which is not good either.
    The way things stand now, I want Santi and Walcott back and see how the trio will work in a couple of games. Then we can see if we need something more.
    I would still consider another striker a priority. The fact that Bendtner is our back up for Giroud sends chills down my spine.

Or we could just go all out attack and have a midfield trio of Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsey. Forget about the defence, we will just try and outscore the opposition. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

This should be our midfield imo.

---Ramsey
    Flamini
    Walcott----Özil----Cazorla

Gives us the best balance between defense and attack. Flamini is instrumental to the balance of the team now, I don't think you can omit him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

One of each!!!

Or we could just go all out attack and have a midfield trio of Ozil, Cazorla and Ramsey. Forget about the defence, we will just try and outscore the opposition. :D

Wouldn't mind that at all!!!
    I think the addition of Flamini gives us a good first wave of defense, in front of the 4 in defense. On a full team available, I could see the following lineup:

Flamini-Ramsey
    Cazorla-Özil-Walcott

which would leave the following on the bench:
    Wilshere, Rosicky, Podolski, Arteta. Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Not bad at all!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

HazDanz wrote: »

No doubt the usual suspects will be back as soon as we lose a game. Even Button was giving out that our winning run were all lower teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arteta still gets in ahead of Flamini imo.

Flamini has been very good so far and I have to say I was not too happy when we resigned him. Happy to be wrong tho!

Great to have the options for different games

shano_88 wrote: »

Flamini has been very good so far and I have to say I was not too happy when we resigned him. Happy to be wrong tho!

I agree. People are puzzled at why Mata is dropped. Us dropping our best midfielder from last season is equally as baffling a decision. IMO he was the best Central midfielder in the league last year and should be one of the first names on the sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

shano_88 wrote: »

I think it would be harsh to drop flamini after the performances he's had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Delighted with Gnabry's progression over the course of the last week. Against Stoke he looked tidy and technical but no flashes of brilliance. Didn't see much of the Carling Cup match except for his missed penalty, but he seems like he's really got his confidence after playing the previous 2 games with the first team.

Match changing performance yesterday and great to see considering how short we are in his area of the pitch. Funny to think he wouldn't have even been on the bench if no one had been out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think we play a different, possibly more dangerous game with Arteta. If he started yesterday we probably would have had a good bit more possession but I think playing on the break is really suiting us atm. Only changes I'd be making are the wingers when we get players back from injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

If we keep going in the cups there will be plenty of games for Flamini and Arteta - rotate them based on who we are playing.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    No doubt the usual suspects will be back as soon as we lose a game. Even Button was giving out that our winning run were all lower teams.
    Obsessed. It's pretty ****ing pathetic to be honest.
    This thread was started pretty much at the start of the month and I've made more than twice as many posts as you so where's the "back" coming from?
    I assume you'll be happy after a loss then? Or are you just trying to get a nonsensical dig in?
    Every part of your post falls apart under any scrutiny whatsoever so I suppose it's pretty much par for you.

Anyway, anyone up for a bit of tinkering with the starting XI? With a solid run of matches coming up along with an international break I'd be careful about burnout. Don't want another November like last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

There was a moment yesterday where kos ran the ball out of defence, the minute he did flamini dropped right into cb position. I was just so happy to see a guy with such positional discipline, Last season we were caught out a few times and even vs villa before flamini rejoined. I think he has been a top performer for us since he returned. Delighted with him and his contribution. Arteta and him rotating this season and we'll do well. I'd be confident of a cup win. God knows we need it and I think this group of players and their spirit deserve to put the 8 year wait to bed.

Gnabry is still only 18, fantastic prospect, physically mature, hard working, talented and composed. Glad he's getting game time.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    There was a moment yesterday where kos ran the ball out of defence, the minute he did flamini dropped right into cb position. I was just so happy to see a guy with such positional discipline, Last season we were caught out a few times and even vs villa before flamini rejoined. I think he has been a top performer for us since he returned. Delighted with him and his contribution. Arteta and him rotating this season and we'll do well. I'd be confident of a cup win. God knows we need it and I think this group of players and their spirit deserve to put the 8 year wait to bed.

Wouldn't be against the idea of having Flamini and Arteta as the 2 of a 4231 in some situations. It was hard to judge yesterday though, a few players seemed to lose focus before the Swansea goal so we conceded when on paper we were stronger defensively.

This thread was started pretty much at the start of the month and I've made more than twice as many posts as you so where's the "back" coming from?
    I assume you'll be happy after a loss then? Or are you just trying to get a nonsensical dig in?
    Every part of your post falls apart under any scrutiny whatsoever so I suppose it's pretty much par for you.

Anyway, anyone up for a bit of tinkering with the starting XI? With a solid run of matches coming up along with an international break I'd be careful about burnout. Don't want another November like last season.

Two more games until international break. Arteta is back and by the sound of things Rosicky will be back, if not for Napoli, definitely for WBA.
    I'd still take it one game at a time, Napoli first, this won't be easy, we need to win it to be ahead in the group. Better them chasing us, than the other way around.

And surely, nobody will be happy after a loss. But you can't possibly expect us to win all remaining matches, right?

• Advertisement

Victory over napoli really puts us in a strong position in the cl group of death. Realistically we can and should win all our games in the pl up to and including the pool game on November 2nd, injuries to key personnel aside.

Button I agree about a flamini / Arteta twosome. Would give Arteta more licence to get forward. I'd forgotten he is quite decent at attacking!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Two more games until international break. Arteta is back and by the sound of things Rosicky will be back, if not for Napoli, definitely for WBA.
    I'd still take it one game at a time, Napoli first, this won't be easy, we need to win it to be ahead in the group. Better them chasing us, than the other way around.
    Napoli beating Dortmund complicated things a bit. I was hoping Rafa's influence would take a while longer and our group would be a 2-horse race early on, now it looks like a 3-horse race, the kind where the top 3 could easily end up on 10-10-10 or 10-9-9 and a single goal could be decisive at the end.
    I like to look at results and where they'll leave us. Beat Napoli and all we'd need is a win and 2 draws from the last 4 matches.
    And surely, nobody will be happy after a loss. But you can't possibly expect us to win all remaining matches, right?
    It was more the bull**** that I'd be back after a loss which has 2 implications:
    1) I've been away while we've been doing well.
    2) That there'd be something wrong with being annoyed after a loss.

Victory over napoli really puts us in a strong position in the cl group of death. Realistically we can and should win all our games in the pl up to and including the pool game on November 2nd, injuries to key personnel aside.

Button I agree about a flamini / Arteta twosome. Would give Arteta more licence to get forward. I'd forgotten he is quite decent at attacking!

I'd generally play it to be slightly more defensive than in general.
    Right now I think our best is a 4-1-"4"-1 with Flamini and the "4" being various shapes through the match. I would stick with that for the likes of Norwich and West Brom but wouldn't mind trying the 4231 against Napoli, provided there's a willingness to change if it doesn't work.

but wouldn't mind trying the 4231 against Napoli, provided there's a willingness to change if it doesn't work.

Aye I get ya. Not a bad plan, bench wilshere or play a 3 of ozil, Ramsey and wilshere ?

Aye I get ya. Not a bad plan, bench wilshere or play a 3 of ozil, Ramsey and wilshere ?

Probably leave it as those 3. Flexibility is the name of the game though. Rosicky is grand as the deep-ish midfielder with a DM next to him as well, no need for that if we're playing Flamini and Arteta though. Plenty of switching around of the the 3 will be needed against Napoli anyway I'd say, Rafa's somewhat known for pragmatism in setting a team out :P

Yep rafas teams are hard to beat. Fingers crossed we get a positive result, would set us up beautifully.

Worth dipping into the utd thread, there's a lot of anguish.

Hate seeing United fans so upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

While atreta/flamini axis sounds ok

Why would we even think about dropping the most in form player in the league

Don't think anyone wants rambo dropped, just chatting about moving him forward to allow more defensive options.

Don't think anyone wants rambo dropped, just chatting about moving him forward to allow more defensive options.

He makes more tackles than any other player just leave him there avid rotate arteta/flamini

And when he needs a rest move wilshere into his place gives the team better balance

Fair enough, good to have the options all the same.

Reading other threads opposition fans still underestimate this arsenal side.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, good to have the options all the same.

I'm loving the our squad is weak

Have they noticed the players that are injured, our squad is fairly strong if ya ask me

You'll notice, if you look really close that there is a full stop between two separate sentences. One does not equate to the others. :rolleyes:

As for the quantity of your posts I judge people on what they post, not how often they post.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Have they noticed the players that are injured, our squad is fairly strong if ya ask me

Exactly our midfield is now ridiculously strong to the point if I had Wenger's job of picking the centre mid each week with a fully fit squad my head might explode. Can't wait to see our bench when we have a fully fit squad. Let them underestimate us and keep reading the same ol crap churned out by the tabloids Arsenal are constantly written off yet always defy the critics this year heres hoping we can defy them by just a bit more and win something.

Our main weakness is CF really has to do something in January even if it just a stop gap loan move until the summer.

I'm also going to say it now I think we will beat Napoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I think confidence is up in the squad and that is more than compensating for our current injury situation. I hope that it continues.

You'll notice, if you look really close that there is a full stop between two separate sentences. One does not equate to the others. :rolleyes:

As for the quantity of your posts I judge people on what they post, not how often they post.;)
    Who are the other "usual suspects then"?
    The presence determines if someone is "back" or not. You might not like what I post but I'm still here and likely will be a lot more whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

All the other teams are lower teams right now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The squad is weak. One serious injury to giroud and that's the end of things.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

As a United fan, I think such people are crazy. Right now, Arsenal are the inform team and I personally can't believe the number of Top 4s I'm seeing that doesn't have Arsenal in them somewhere.

As much as some don't recognise it as a valid point, we've had pretty much the easiest fixtures of any side so far this season. A quick look at the average position of opposition for the top half and I think WBA (12.5) and Southampton (13.7) are the only teams with a worse average opposition so far than Arsenal (12.3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Not in defence or attack. we are weak. If any of our CB and Girud get injured. we are screwed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement